Beware of Those Who Try Separate Faith in God vs. His Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's stupid. You are accusing those who believe God's Word is infallible

Did Jesus every reply to what someone said with 'that's stupid?' You are confused. For some reason, you are falsely equating God's word with the Bible, the contents with the container.

Fact is, we are supposed to worship God, not a book. Doing so IS idolatry. If this is not idolatry, then there is no such thing as idolatry in practice.

Make a Blessed Day.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Slow down a bit here Davy....don't be too hasty in drawing your conclusions.

We have to understand and assume that a professing Christ is actually a genuine Christian #1. 2. We also must assume that the majority of scripture has not been tampered with. There have be numerous deliberate modifications, deletions and additions to scripture.

3. And that we must not make an idol and religion out of the written word we call the Bible. I mean many people do not actually read and search scripture in prayer, that the Holy Spirit will guide their minds and hearts to truth. And as you said, our faith in the Father and Son should be in the Same Spirit as when we pray to both and use the written words as words floating off the page to our hearts and minds. They are woven together as a perfect match and compliment each other.

4. Unfortunately I believe less than 50 % recognize this holy harmony Davy because they lack the Spirit. They place their Bible on their coffee table as a showpiece for others who stop by, and it is an object that sometimes makes themselves feel good because they have the courage to expose a Bible in public view and they then are emotionally happy to be a 'Christian,' and that the truth lies in the Book usually collecting dust.

And when they are ready to go from their home and go to their weekend brick and mortar place of worship, they carry their lovely Burgundy leather covered Bible in hand and for all to see in the service or in a Sunday school session.

5. And many do make scripture and the Book an idol that we dare not investigate and really search to understand what it actually says. Many think we somehow cannot question it and besides our pastor or priest tells us what is truth inside its pages anyway.

And as @Wrangler just said, a person will idolize a particular translation of scripture, over knowing the truth, and by not first placing their faith in the Father and the Son.

There are many KJV diehards on this site, and if you really want to know what many translators say about this version, it might offend many. For accuracy and readability, the KJV ranks 20th out of the top 20 Bible translations.

6. And if we have a strong religion, and our faith is guided by more that the word of God, we can also make scripture to be our slave to this religion. Meaning, we make scripture sing to the tunes of our religion that might not be the truth at all. We then become deceived and many are still lost because of it.

It's not about KJV diehards, so stop trying to use that as an excuse, because those who try that show their Biblical ignorance.

Apparently, some brethren today don't realize one of the MAIN problems with a particular denomination (that I won't mention), which does not believe in 'Sola Scriptura', which is one of the major ideas that distinguishes a Protestant believer on Jesus Christ. You might want to do a little research about the Oxford Movement in the 19th century, with those who claimed that Biblical Christianity is of the devil. Communism is on the boat with their claim against Biblical Christianity also (per one of the 1958 Soviet communist goals to infiltrate the Churches, per ex-FBI agent Cleon Skousen's 1958 book The Naked Communist.)

The Word of God is not just some translation (like a KJV nor any other Bible version). Yet didn't God say He would preserve His Word throughout ALL generations? Yes!

Ps 12:6-7
6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, Thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
KJV

Ps 33:11
11 The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of His heart to all generations.
KJV

Can one imagine what Christianity would be like it The Bible were delegated to just a book like poetry, etc.? That is exactly what the devil and his servants are trying to do with it. So either one is a true believer in God's Word and ready to contend for the Faith once handed down by Christ and His Apostles, or they work against it. There is NO lukewarm position with this.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Word is very instructive, but you can't have a relationship with it.

So, you don't have a relationship with Jesus via The Holy Spirit? You mean you don't allow The Holy Spirit to teach you?

Do you instead hear 'voices' in your head? Do you feel there are 'spirits' around you telling you what to do instead?

If trust is not in The Word of God, in what then? man's word?

Here's what it's like with those who put their trust in spirits, and NOT The Word of God...

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Word is very instructive, but you can't have a relationship with it.

Tell us just HOW you follow the written Word of God?

Do you pray to The Father through His Son to give you understanding in His written Word before reading it?

Or do you even read the written Word of God at all?

God would not waste His time with giving His faithful servants so much information about ourselves, and His creation, and the events to happen leading all the way up to Christ's future coming, if His written Word were just like any other book of man.

So the first step in Faith is to believe The Gospel of Jesus Christ, by those who preach it. But wait a minute, just how... do those who preach The Gospel know what to preach? Where do they get their information about Jesus Christ from??

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you don't have a relationship with Jesus via The Holy Spirit? You mean you don't allow The Holy Spirit to teach you?

Do you instead hear 'voices' in your head? Do you feel there are 'spirits' around you telling you what to do instead?

If trust is not in The Word of God, in what then? man's word?

Here's what it's like with those who put their trust in spirits, and NOT The Word of God...

I have a relationship with God. I don't have a relationship with a book.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell us just HOW you follow the written Word of God?

Do you pray to The Father through His Son to give you understanding in His written Word before reading it?

Or do you even read the written Word of God at all?

God would not waste His time with giving His faithful servants so much information about ourselves, and His creation, and the events to happen leading all the way up to Christ's future coming, if His written Word were just like any other book of man.

So the first step in Faith is to believe The Gospel of Jesus Christ, by those who preach it. But wait a minute, just how... do those who preach The Gospel know what to preach? Where do they get their information about Jesus Christ from??
I think you and I would differ on the definition of the written Word of God, but I do try to obey God's commandments.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In another thread, a One verse Christian is trying to show that if we do not believe one verse as he reads it is, the all in all we are not Christians if we do not believe in that one verse. The word over God

One verse out of context becomes faith in the word over faith in God.

Al
This is correct. The KJV cites that God repented of the evil he thought to do. God can do no evil and it is interpreted incorrectly. @Davy you posted something outside of the bible to support your OP in supporting the bible, which is strange.

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is correct. The KJV cites that God repented of the evil he thought to do. God can do no evil and it is interpreted incorrectly. @Davy you posted something outside of the bible to support your OP in supporting the bible, which is strange.

In starting to reply to this thread, I did a brief study on God repenting on his Judgements.

GOD let Lot and his family escape Sodom and Gomorrah. The angels also answered that if even a few men where not guilty God would repent.

The people of Israel repented of their sin so God repented of judgment.

I can see that God's judgment being great and terrible can be twisted. But that has to deny the sin that got judged.

Alfredthefifth

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a relationship with God. I don't have a relationship with a book.

If you disregard His Word, then I am forced to say that you cannot know God.

There are many evil spirits out there that are very quick to make you think you are listening to God when you really are not. God's Word is the great equalizer, because His Word is the Measure of 'how' you know what spirits to trust, and which ones not to.

Reactions: Alfredthefifth

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you and I would differ on the definition of the written Word of God, but I do try to obey God's commandments.

We shouldn't differ. But if you mean differ with modern Bible versions (i.e., the Critical text vs. the Traditional text which the KJV and earlier Bibles were based on, including the Latin Vulgate translated from the Greek by Jerome), then yeah, we probably do disagree on those the value of those modern NT versions.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Davy[/USER] you posted something outside of the bible to support your OP in supporting the bible, which is strange.

And what was that, per your claim?

I simply declared that to believe on The Father and The Son means to believe His Word also...

So are YOU saying Jesus Christ is NOT The Word??...

John 1:1-4
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In Him was life; and the life was the light of men.
KJV

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what was that, per your claim?

I simply declared that to believe on The Father and The Son means to believe His Word also...

So are YOU saying Jesus Christ is NOT The Word??...

John 1:1-4
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In Him was life; and the life was the light of men.
KJV

Nope, it was this:

The 19th century British scholar E.W. Bullinger through his research in ancient archaeology proved that The Word of God was first written in the star constellations before being written down in letters (see The Witness of The Stars). (To clarify this point, Bullinger found archaeological evidence that ancient pagans changed the original names of the star constellations of the Zodiac. Their original names were associated with God's Word.)

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a relationship with God, but I do not have a relationship with a book.

I also have a relationship with God through the Holy Spirit.
From this many metaphors arise about the bible, THE BOOK,
It planted the seed that became faith,
It showed a shows the right path,
It shows the need to test that Spirit is the True spirit, because there are false spirits
It shows by allowing to measure the fruits of the spirit
There are more,

Yes I have a relationship with God
But with out the book there is no possible relationship.
What is my relationship with book?
Gaining knowledge
Gaining wisdon.
Being graced by the seed of faith
Using it has a road map
Using it as a step stool

I couldn't have a relationship with God without the Bible and the great awesome presence of God I become bewildered by what is beyond my understanding.

Without the book I would have no relationship without the book?
Is the book the relationship no
But without book where am I?

Alfredthefifth

Reactions: ScottA and Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also have a relationship with God through the Holy Spirit ...

Is the book the relationship no
But without book where am I?

The same could be said about many things. Where would you be without food, water, shelter, clothing money, air to breath, space, time, a healthy body and mind, etc? The point is about idolatry.

The lesson of Abraham being told to sacrifice his son is to not value the gift more than the giver. We are to worship God, not his many blessings, which include the Bible.

I agree, we should not attempt to separate God from his will, his word, etc. However, people are confusing the content (God's will) with the container (Book). I've already mentioned how some take it a step further in idolizing a particular translation of the book, of the container.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no difference in Faith in The Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ and Faith in His Word. Per John 1, Lord Jesus is equated as The Word from the beginning. If you believe on The Father and The Son, then it automatically means you believe His Word also.

Those who are against belief in either represent those who TRY to change God's written Word, and want to corrupt it, including those who want to defame it and REPLACE it with something else, which is a working of the devil.

The 19th century British scholar E.W. Bullinger through his research in ancient archaeology proved that The Word of God was first written in the star constellations before being written down in letters (see The Witness of The Stars). (To clarify this point, Bullinger found archaeological evidence that ancient pagans changed the original names of the star constellations of the Zodiac. Their original names were associated with God's Word.)

And in many Bible Scriptures, God testifies of the purity of His Word handed down to ALL generations.
I wouldn't say that is the problem, but rather that is a misconception of the backlash of the real problem.

The real problem is that many have made the parchments of scripture their god, rather than the God who inspired them, and now writes upon the hearts of those who are His. And that backlash is because many speak against the Spirit which Jesus has sent according to those scriptures. Which they do by the spirit of antichrist.

No one who is for the Spirit is against the scriptures, but many who are for the scriptures are against the Spirit.

Last edited: