Beware of Those Who Try Separate Faith in God vs. His Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think understanding Jesus and where his power comes from is important:

Philippians 2:6-11

King James Version

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They searched the scriptures all right yet taught the precepts of men that often contradicted scrips as well .
They did not know GOD . BUT one who does would love and embrace the bible .
What you said in no ways justifies what you say my friend . Paul and peter both were heavy on learning the scrips
Test all spirits for many decievers abound . Test them against what YOUR FEELINGS or against the WORDS of GOD .
exactly . too many folks are running on emotions and thinking they hear from GOD . Yet not only do they contradict the scrips
they often even contradict themselves . Let us BE DUG IN THOSE BIBLES . I mean what GOD INSPIRED a lamb would love .
Let's pray constantly, as Paul taught (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

Reactions: amigo de christo

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "Word" as mentioned in John 1 is Jesus, not scripture.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1 ESV)

In the above quote you can substitute "Jesus" for "Word" and the meaning as originally written will not change. John is not referring to scripture, certainly not his own.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we pray to God, we should tell him what we want him to know, and listen to what he says to us.
We should tell God what WE want HIM to know?!?! A God who knows what we have need of before we ask him? A God who declared the end from the beginning and knows all things?

Interesting.

In any sense, I read the entire thread and have some thoughts:

1. Prayer is good. I do it often. But it does not mean you are in a relationship with God. It's part of a relationship, but not the whole thing. In fact, sometimes prayer is in vain; if so, you have no relationship with God.

For it to be a relationship, when you talk to God, he has to reply. By the way, God will be the dominate figure in the relationship; not you. If you and he are equal partners, then it isn't God. In fact, if you are praying to God and he answers, there is oy ONE way to know if it's really God. Well, actually two... But most would hate the second way more than the first. (The answer is to consult the Bible and/or a real Preacher).

2. God's Word is God talking to you. When you read or hear God's word, take it personally, and I mean take ALL of it as a personal message to you. So with that in mind, what is God's word and where can we find it? Furthermore, how do we validate it? That's the next point!

3. If the Bible is not the Word of God, then what is the Bible, and where do we go to get the Word? Do we look at trees? Do we talk to squirrels? Yes, we can see God through them but aren't God's word and frankly... they don't talk. Yes, Balaam's ass talked. But that's about it, and he only talked to Balaam. He wasn't your ass, he was Balaam's ass. And his message was that he should've listened to God!

What about dreams, visions and thoughts? Ok... how do you know they are God? Is it simply because it's "right"? Oh, ok. Sure.

4. I believe the Bible (meaning, the writings of the Holy men who wrote epistles, gospels, psalms, proverbs and books) is the Word of God and was meant for us in this generation. If you don't just say so; no hard feelings! We will agree to disagree. But if God has a word and message to us, where is it if it isn't the Bible?

No, really. If the Bible isn't the Wird of God, then what is and how do I validate it?

5. On that note, how do we validate the Bible? Well, the first 4 or 5 books were written by Moses. Most of Psalms, by David. Eccesiates, Songs and Proverbs by Solomon. I may be wrong, but I think Isaiah wrote the book of Isaiah.

Shall I go on, or do you get my point? Were these not Holy men of old, along with Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, James, Jude and Peter? Or were they scalleywags who aren't worthy to be heard? I'd so, whom did God talk to to give his Word?

You?

What makes you worthy and these others scalleywags and liars?

6. Let's talk versions and corruptions! I do believe some Bibles are not the wholesome Word. The more you try to make the Bible fit to us and our current trends, the more it becomes corrupted. The Word of God isn't supposed to conform to us, we are supposed to conform to it.

Or do you disagree?

I am a follower of the KJV. It's what I read and all I quote. But let me dispell some myths: we aren't boogeyman! I personally don't pay ant attention if someone follows another translation. I will work with that person in a Biblical conversation. I will not condemn him or look down on him or her. I pray they grant me the same.

Do they? Do you?

What I dislike is Bible hoppers. They go from version to version to find a verse that fits their belief. They claim it gives them a broader understanding of the Bible and claim its a good thing (have a look at Matthew 7:13, if you are of this belief. Do you really want a broad way and belief?) Inreitt, they are only looking for a way to align the Bible with their belief instead of lining up their belief with the Bible.

Bottom line: pick a version and submit to it.

7. A book. We worship a book. How stupid.

I got a feeling that some of us are in our 50's. If so, you remember the art of letter writing. It's lost today. We took a pen or pencil in out hand and wrote on stuff that we called paper. We wrote to our moms and dads, to our friends, business associates, brothers and sisters sometimes even to our enemies!

And we wrote to our girlfiends or boyfiends I. High school or even in Jr high... sometimes in the form of notes passed between class.

Married folks used to do it too, especially if they were in the military. I never had that honor, but I imagine they were thrilled to get a letter beyond belief! And they, like us goofs in high school getting a note from our love interest, probably read it several times! Especially if it was steamy. And we held onto that letter or note so we could read it again and again. We collected them, and read them all as time progressed!

Can I get a witness to that, or am I just a weirdo here?

But here's the point. Did we ever fall in love with the note, or did we fall in love with the person writing it? Did we love our letters from or mom and dads or love them? Personally, I loved the letters, but I loved what they promised even more and would be disappointed I'd they were lies!

My point t is that the Bible is a love letter, a promise, a contract, a state of affairs and for some, a curse. It's backed by actual events. I love it on its own, but I love knowing it's going to happen. Such letters are supposed to be a declaration of intention. If that intention is true, it's simply information. Thus, the words of the writer are not a separation of the person.

So no. No one is worshipping the love letter instead of the lover. We love the love letter, but it's because our love wrote it.

That's enough for now, except for one thing... God not only repented from evil he sought to do. Sometimes he did it. A lot! Actually, he's the one that created evil. If you have a problem with that, pick you version of the Bible, let's throw down rods and see which one sprouts almonds.

Reactions: Alfredthefifth

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should tell God what WE want HIM to know?!?! A God who knows what we have need of before we ask him? A God who declared the end from the beginning and knows all things?

Interesting.

In any sense, I read the entire thread and have some thoughts:

1. Prayer is good. I do it often. But it does not mean you are in a relationship with God. It's part of a relationship, but not the whole thing. In fact, sometimes prayer is in vain; if so, you have no relationship with God.

For it to be a relationship, when you talk to God, he has to reply. By the way, God will be the dominate figure in the relationship; not you. If you and he are equal partners, then it isn't God. In fact, if you are praying to God and he answers, there is oy ONE way to know if it's really God. Well, actually two... But most would hate the second way more than the first. (The answer is to consult the Bible and/or a real Preacher).

2. God's Word is God talking to you. When you read or hear God's word, take it personally, and I mean take ALL of it as a personal message to you. So with that in mind, what is God's word and where can we find it? Furthermore, how do we validate it? That's the next point!

3. If the Bible is not the Word of God, then what is the Bible, and where do we go to get the Word? Do we look at trees? Do we talk to squirrels? Yes, we can see God through them but aren't God's word and frankly... they don't talk. Yes, Balaam's ass talked. But that's about it, and he only talked to Balaam. He wasn't your ass, he was Balaam's ass. And his message was that he should've listened to God!

What about dreams, visions and thoughts? Ok... how do you know they are God? Is it simply because it's "right"? Oh, ok. Sure.

4. I believe the Bible (meaning, the writings of the Holy men who wrote epistles, gospels, psalms, proverbs and books) is the Word of God and was meant for us in this generation. If you don't just say so; no hard feelings! We will agree to disagree. But if God has a word and message to us, where is it if it isn't the Bible?

No, really. If the Bible isn't the Wird of God, then what is and how do I validate it?

5. On that note, how do we validate the Bible? Well, the first 4 or 5 books were written by Moses. Most of Psalms, by David. Eccesiates, Songs and Proverbs by Solomon. I may be wrong, but I think Isaiah wrote the book of Isaiah.

Shall I go on, or do you get my point? Were these not Holy men of old, along with Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, James, Jude and Peter? Or were they scalleywags who aren't worthy to be heard? I'd so, whom did God talk to to give his Word?

You?

What makes you worthy and these others scalleywags and liars?

6. Let's talk versions and corruptions! I do believe some Bibles are not the wholesome Word. The more you try to make the Bible fit to us and our current trends, the more it becomes corrupted. The Word of God isn't supposed to conform to us, we are supposed to conform to it.

Or do you disagree?

I am a follower of the KJV. It's what I read and all I quote. But let me dispell some myths: we aren't boogeyman! I personally don't pay ant attention if someone follows another translation. I will work with that person in a Biblical conversation. I will not condemn him or look down on him or her. I pray they grant me the same.

Do they? Do you?

What I dislike is Bible hoppers. They go from version to version to find a verse that fits their belief. They claim it gives them a broader understanding of the Bible and claim its a good thing (have a look at Matthew 7:13, if you are of this belief. Do you really want a broad way and belief?) Inreitt, they are only looking for a way to align the Bible with their belief instead of lining up their belief with the Bible.

Bottom line: pick a version and submit to it.

7. A book. We worship a book. How stupid.

I got a feeling that some of us are in our 50's. If so, you remember the art of letter writing. It's lost today. We took a pen or pencil in out hand and wrote on stuff that we called paper. We wrote to our moms and dads, to our friends, business associates, brothers and sisters sometimes even to our enemies!

And we wrote to our girlfiends or boyfiends I. High school or even in Jr high... sometimes in the form of notes passed between class.

Married folks used to do it too, especially if they were in the military. I never had that honor, but I imagine they were thrilled to get a letter beyond belief! And they, like us goofs in high school getting a note from our love interest, probably read it several times! Especially if it was steamy. And we held onto that letter or note so we could read it again and again. We collected them, and read them all as time progressed!

Can I get a witness to that, or am I just a weirdo here?

But here's the point. Did we ever fall in love with the note, or did we fall in love with the person writing it? Did we love our letters from or mom and dads or love them? Personally, I loved the letters, but I loved what they promised even more and would be disappointed I'd they were lies!

My point t is that the Bible is a love letter, a promise, a contract, a state of affairs and for some, a curse. It's backed by actual events. I love it on its own, but I love knowing it's going to happen. Such letters are supposed to be a declaration of intention. If that intention is true, it's simply information. Thus, the words of the writer are not a separation of the person.

So no. No one is worshipping the love letter instead of the lover. We love the love letter, but it's because our love wrote it.

That's enough for now, except for one thing... God not only repented from evil he sought to do. Sometimes he did it. A lot! Actually, he's the one that created evil. If you have a problem with that, pick you version of the Bible, let's throw down rods and see which one sprouts almonds.
Yes, we should bring our concerns to God's attention and talk to him about those concerns. He will show us how to deal with those concerns. Of course we don't have to if we don't want to, but it only makes sense to me to let him help me.

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most powerful prayers I have said are short and simple.

Lord you know, me, my desires, my wants and my needs, show me your will in these matters. In Christ your son Amen.

These prayers have been answered in ways that I cannot describe, great blessings and being in a wonderful place. Would a yes or no question have been snswered as beautifully?

A prayer I am a bit shy of putting here.

Lord I am so lost and confused please send your angels to guide me.
If you have never had a door of thought slammed shut by an angel. You will never know awesome power.

Yes I have a relationship with God! In a book, at a book even of a book but the book is just instructions, yet ever much more than just instructions, instructions that are needed but Not God.

Alfredthefifth

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "Word" as mentioned in John 1 is Jesus, not scripture.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1 ESV)

In the above quote you can substitute "Jesus" for "Word" and the meaning as originally written will not change. John is not referring to scripture, certainly not his own.

When Apostle John said the "Word was God", that means Jesus Christ is The Word. That is why we are told that all that was made was made through Jesus Christ (John 1:3).