Bible alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi EG,

I have met YOUR criteria. I go to my Church who ‘uses the word as the final authority’. But yet you accuse me (all Catholics) of being a follower of men. Please help me understand how I am a follower of men when I have met your criteria of going to the Church?

Mary
You do?

lol. If they used the word as final authority they would hold to sola scripture

they don’t, because the word is not their final authority

Thanks though, I needed a good laugh

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you did you would not believe the way you do, it’s why most anti Catholics are no longer catholic
Your line of reasoning makes ZERO sense.

You tell me I should test everything men say against The Word. I tell you that I do that but then say I would not believe the way I do if I was really doing that (testing those men). Soooooo wouldn’t the same theory hold true for you?

Many Protestants and Athiest are now Catholic using your criteria soooooo what now?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do?

Using Scripture alone tell me what books belong in Scripture!

Scripture says if anyone among you sick call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil. Who do you call when someone among you is sick? If you are sticking to Scripture alone you should be calling SOMEONE

Jesus said “Do this in remembrance of me”. Do you? If you are sticking to Scripture alone you should be.

Sola Scriptura is not in the Bible and actually says do not rely on Scripture alone. It is a teaching of man that started about 500 years ago. According to your criteria we are not supposed to follow the teaching of man sooooo why are you changing your stance on that criteria?

Mary

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your line of reasoning makes ZERO sense.

You tell me I should test everything men say against The Word. I tell you that I do that but then say I would not believe the way I do if I was really doing that (testing those men). Soooooo wouldn’t the same theory hold true for you?

Many Protestants and Athiest are now Catholic using your criteria soooooo what now?
Lol all we ever do is go in circles

My line of reasoning makes no sense? I am just telling you what those ex Catholics told me and why. Yes, I admit, some works based people have converted to Catholicism, I would if I was works based, I mean the Roman church has the most ways to heaven, and hey just in case, they have purgatory,

let’s stick to the topics why don’t we

you sitting here telling me I am my own authority, and how you test what those you listen to say are nonsensical arguments

it seems like every time I have a conversation with you this is how it goes, is this your job?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do?

Prove to me you are infallible and I will follow you

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My line of reasoning makes no sense? I am just telling you what those ex Catholics told me and why. Yes, I admit, some works based people have converted to Catholicism, I would if I was works based, I mean the Roman church has the most ways to heaven, and hey just in case, they have purgatory,

let’s stick to the topics why don’t we

you sitting here telling me I am my own authority, and how you test what those you listen to say are nonsensical arguments

it seems like every time I have a conversation with you this is how it goes, is this your job?
I agree. We go in circles. You say The Church is fallible. You admit you are fallible but I should listen to you and not The Church.

I meet your criteria but yet my conclusion is wrong even when I do meet your criteria.

What this comes down to is that you believe I should listen to you, a fallible person, and if I did that I would be right....just like you are right.

The circle always comes back to YOU being right and me being wrong...even when I do what you tell me to do (test what they and you say against the word). Your circular reasoning has me dizzy!!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Using Scripture alone tell me what books belong in Scripture!
Oh it does, tell me how does it do this?

Scripture says if anyone among you sick call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil. Who do you call when someone among you is sick? If you are sticking to Scripture alone you should be calling SOMEONE

Jesus said “Do this in remembrance of me”. Do you? If you are sticking to Scripture alone you should be.

Sola Scriptura is not in the Bible and actually says do not rely on Scripture alone. It is a teaching of man that started about 500 years ago. According to your criteria we are not supposed to follow the teaching of man sooooo why are you changing your stance on that criteria?

Mary
So you use scripture alone To determine which books, but you reject scripture alone

tell me, did paul get it wrong here?

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

I mean if Paul said scripture can

reproof (rebuke for wrong doing)
Correct (correct wrong thinking)
Instruct in righteousness (tell,us what we should do and instruct us in the right way of doing)
Make a man complete (perfect)
And thoroughly equip,the man of god for all things

hen is not paul preaching scripture alone?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. We go in circles. You say The Church is fallible. You admit you are fallible but I should listen to you and not The Church.

I meet your criteria but yet my conclusion is wrong even when I do meet your criteria.

What this comes down to is that you believe I should listen to you, a fallible person, and if I did that I would be right....just like you are right.

The circle always comes back to YOU being right and me being wrong...even when I do what you tell me to do (test what they and you say against the word). Your circular reasoning has me dizzy!!
You have not listened to a word I say

you twist my words

that’s why talking to you is useless

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not going in circles. The Church is the pillar and foundation of truth and is infallible. I believe the infallible Church and go to The Church for the Truth. That is a straight line.

You tell me to go to Scripture to test you say against the Word. I have done that and have found you to be wrong in what you say but yet I am wrong when I tell you what you say is wrong. That is a circle. It all circles back to you being right and me being wrong unless I agree with you.

I’m dizzy trying to follow your logic.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you use scripture alone To determine which books, but you reject scripture alone
Nope, never said that. The Church used tradition and the guidance of the Holy Spirit to determine which books belong in Scripture since Scripture does not tell us what books belong in our bible.

You agree with The Churches decision on what books belongs in your bible but you reject what The Church teaches in that bible. You trust The Church to give you the Word of God but you don’t trust The Church to interpret the Word of God.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is infallible maam. No one!
That’s why god spent 2000 years giving us his word so we do not blindly follow people,
The Church is infallible that is why Scripture calls it the pillar and foundation of truth.

That is why we are to go to The Church to settle our differences and whatever it binds on earth shall be bound in heaven.

Have you not read those passages?

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible-believing, Protestant Christians would say that a hierarchy is not needed to tell them what is canonical.
No amount of "hierarchy" can supersede the Word of God that knows NOTHING of the existence of Popes, nuns, indulgences, praying to dead people, any farce such as a perpetual virginity of Mary, or any unbiblical fiction such as the assumption of Mary, or any other Mariolatry. When "hierarchy" leads people into an alternative religion other than that of the Bible, they are no different than any other deceptive Cult Leader that twists Scripture to their own damnation.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Circular reasoning

notice she never even touched the scripture I gave that proves scripture is completely capable of making us complete.

Good day maam. Another wasted time discussing anything with uou

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is infallible maam. No one!
That’s why god spent 2000 years giving us his word so we do not blindly follow people,
The reason why the Popes can't marry (apparently besides Peter who was married) is that everyone knows that if you are married, your wife will tell everyone how imperfect you are! :cool:

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You agree with The Churches decision on what books belongs in your bible but you reject what The Church teaches in that bible.
The Roman Catholic Church includes many books that I do not accept as being in the Bible, and the vast majority of printed Bibles don't have those books either!

Very few people accept the books that the Church of Rome adds as "Scripture" except those of the Roman Cult.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
if you did you would not believe the way you do, it’s why most anti Catholics are no longer catholic
No, many ex-Catholics become anti-Catholics due to fundamentalist brainwashing.
yep, they are

but if they are wrong they take you and everyone else with them

again, if your leaders were so infallible, their beliefs would line up with the word, and they would not need all these extra biblical things to support them
That is a dogmatic opinion not based on Scripture. Post biblical does not automatically mean extra-biblical. There is no post-biblical developed doctrine that is anti-biblical, it is just assumed and never proven.
your trained to mock us, and use the excuses you always use,
Please quote mocking, and stop making false charges. You just can't handle thought provoking challenges. In case you haven't noticed, over 90% of posts by Catholics in here are DEFENSIVE, warding off unbiblical insults by ignorant anti-Catholics, misrepresent Catholicism at every turn because that is a built in nature. The inability to understand "infallible" is evident in your post.
most of us see right through it, because we were not trained like you, that’s hey Luther got much wrong, because of fear and training. It’s hard to give everything up when you been so trained
Ignorant anti-Catholic bigotry is fear based, and trained. Nobody is born an anti-Catholic. Anti-Catholicism is a tradition of men.

Last edited:

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Circular reasoning

notice she never even touched the scripture I gave that proves scripture is completely capable of making us complete.

Good day maam. Another wasted time discussing anything with uou
Yet, it is fun to watch the Romanist engage in a "one-legged" man in a butt kicking contest hopping around in a circle! :p