Bible alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Bible alone how do we know what is the Bible and what is not the Bible?
There's one aspect of the Bible that you need to consider in this discussion. The Bible is God's Book. It is God's written Word. There is no other Book like it in the history of His Creation. It wasn't man's idea, and man didn't put it together on his own accord. God led the process from beginning to end. He can do that because HE IS GOD! I mean, if He can create the whole universe by His word, He can write and compile a Good Book, right? And the most amazing part of it to me is that he used fallible men to write down what He wanted written. Now, that's an amazing feat!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good what is the Bible and what is not the Bible and how do you know your correct?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
From the Bible alone how do we know what is the Bible and what is not the Bible?
Protestants have long held that the Bible is self-authenticating. Even the Roman Catholic Church, though giving regard to the Deuterocanonical books, will agree about the Canonical books; and Bible-believing, Protestant Christians would say that a hierarchy is not needed to tell them what is canonical. In the New Testament, with the exception of the Acts of the Apostles (notable title) and Luke, the author of Acts, all the NT books were authored by Apostles.

Supposed doubt about what the Bible really is, is a complete red herring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and DNB

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There's one aspect of the Bible that you need to consider in this discussion. The Bible is God's Book. It is God's written Word. There is no other Book like it in the history of His Creation. It wasn't man's idea, and man didn't put it together on his own accord. God led the process from beginning to end. He can do that because HE IS GOD! I mean, if He can create the whole universe by His word, He can write and compile a Good Book, right? And the most amazing part of it to me is that he used fallible men to write down what He wanted written. Now, that's an amazing feat!
@Prayer Warrior This is important to remember. Someone wrote, 'The Bible and the Bible alone is the religion of Protestants.' (Even though some ppl called Protestants seem sadly to neglect it.) Psalm 119.89; Psalm 119.105; John 17.17.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Prayer Warrior This is important to remember. Someone wrote, 'The Bible and the Bible alone is the religion of Protestants.' (Even though some ppl called Protestants seem sadly to neglect it.) Psalm 119.89; Psalm 119.105; John 17.17.
The religion of the Protestants? I’m not following you.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But God always puts authority in men? Matt 23 the successors of Moses are to be obeyed According to Christ cos they have the authority, the keys and the power to bind and loose?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denial of Sola Scriptura leads to elevating tradition and opinion above the Word of God, which is self-authenticating.
While I respect your thoughts here, I personally find the reverse to be true and that "Sola Scriptura" elevates men's tradition above all else.

Reactions: mjrhealth

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
While I respect your thoughts here, I personally find the reverse to be true and that "Sola Scriptura" elevates men's tradition above all else.
Sola Scriptura should be about going by the Word and not tradition. It's the practical way of honouring God's Word that counts, not the way some ppl may have changed the phrase to mean something else.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura should be about going by the Word and not tradition. It's the practical way of honouring God's Word that counts, not the way some ppl may have changed the phrase to mean something else.
Again: I find the reverse to be true.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

tradition, that which is handed down, is both oral and scripture?

Reactions: MattMooradian

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Jane_Doe22 @theefaith It's not rocket science:

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2.5). It doesn't take hierarchies and PhDs to have to tell needy sinners what such a verse means; convicted by the Holy Spirit, they are capable of understanding and rejoicing in it by themselves.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

tradition, that which is handed down, is both oral and scripture?
Paul is referring to what they heard him say. You seem to be implying some mysterious repository of essential tradition which some ecclesiastical hierarchy possesses as a supposedly essential addition to Scripture.

Nope.

Reactions: Nancy and DNB

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jane_Doe22 @theefaith It's not rocket science:

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2.5). It doesn't take hierarchies and PhDs to have to tell needy sinners what such a verse means; convicted by the Holy Spirit, they are capable of understanding and rejoicing in it by themselves.
Except I find Sola Scriptura to be the opposite of that.

"Sola Scriptura" is about men telling me about which words they find to be God's words (limiting it to just those words), and their interpretation of it (and just thier interpretation). Anything that varies from that is not accepted. It makes them and their views king.

It's not about me directly embracing a living God whom still speaks & enlightens.