Bible alone

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And there you go again with your goddess's (Elle White) manure.

The term "Vicarus Fili Day" that she used to "deduce" that the Pope is the Anti-Christ by calculating the numerical value of this title as "666". The problem is tjat this term is from a spurious 8th century FORGERY called, the Donation of Constantine.
BoL, you give Ellen way way too much credit my friend. She didn't invent or "discover" that 666 connection to that title. No no no. That was found a couple of hundred years previous to her ministry. Nor was she the first to refer to that in the 19th century. She was merely one of many that referred to it, among many who could not refute it... Including you.
And yes, that title for the Pope is indeed to be found on what you now call, that
spurious 8th century FORGERY called, the Donation of Constantine
Speaking of which, despite the spurious nature of that document, it didn't stop a succession of popes to use it to validate their thefts and claims to supremacy over land and churches that didn't belong to them. In fact, it took from memory, another 5 or 6 hundred years before any Catholic administrator dared suggest it was a forgery. And I bet that didn't go down too well with the Catholic hierarchy.

It was a title which, as Helwig (a prominent intellectual, “a professional teacher of Latin, Greek, and Hebrew for twenty-seven years.” During his life, he was amongst other things the author of an etymological Greek Dictionary, rector at Berlin (1611–1614) and professor of poetry at the University of Rostock (1614–1616) whose “specialty in language and his conspicuous ability in Greek and Latin won him the standing of royal crown poet.” ) expressed it, “all the pontiffs have now already ascribed to themselves for more than 600 years (as is apparent), and do ascribe today, and wish to be ascribed: on which account they vehemently glory and boast with an execrable voice that they hold, shared as it were with the omnipotent God, the rule throughout the earth in human affairs.” As a Renaissance man and erudite Protestant, Helwig was certainly acquainted with The Treatise of Lorenzo Valla on the Donation of Constantine (1440) and related documents debunking this forgery. Of this fact, he provided evidence, amongst other things, by mentioning that turncoat scholar Aeneas Silvius27 (Enea Silvio Piccolomini). In 1443, Piccolomini endorsed the Valla document, but when he became Pope Pius II he repudiated his former stance. As people of both the Middle Ages and the Reformation period down to Helwig’s time knew from personal, often bitter experience, the pontiffs ignored Lorenzo Valla’s Treatise and kept on wielding their tremendous power.
Vicarius Filii Dei was also enshrined in the Decretum Gratiani (Gratian’s Decretum), which first appeared in 1140 and became the basis for teaching Catholic canon law. Included in it, not by the original author but by his successors, was the Donation of Constantine and that title. For centuries the Decretum was copied multiple times and, after Gutenberg had invented the means for doing so, printed abundantly, over and over again. Together with other church legislation, it became an important part of Canon Law. The Decretum was first printed in 1500 (from 1586 onward as part of the Corpus Iuris Canonici (Collection of Canon Law), which continuously remained in force for more than another three hundred years, until 1917, when it was replaced by the Codex Iuris Canonici, which omitted the Decretum. Reacting to the sixteenth-century Reformation, after the Council of Trent, Pius V (1504–1572, reigned from 1566) in the year when he became pope appointed a commission to revise the Canon Law. This work was completed in the time of the next pope, Gregory XIII (1505–1585, reigned from 1572). The Decretum formed part of the then official Corpus Iuris Canonici, published at Rome in 1582, which was during Helwig’s lifetime. It included the Donation with the words vicarius Filii Dei.29 During the pontificate of Urban VIII (1568-1644, reigned from 1623), Luca Castellino, also writing in Latin, produced his Theological Elucidation Concerning the Certainty of the Glory of Canonized Saints (1628). Referring to the Emperor Constantine, it quotes from the Donation a passage containing the title vicarius Filij [sic] Dei.

So BoL. All of this history going back 1000 years previous to Ellen White, written of 200 years before Ellen White , refuted by one scholar who later denied it when elected Pope.... no lies but historical fact and evidence that the title was used, was used over centuries, was taken advantage of despite it's 'spurious' history.
Nor is it a title made up by enemies as an epithet against catholicism. It's actually a title created by Catholics to bolster the reputation of the Pope. Nor is the 666 interpretation deniable. It's real. It's in the language of the church. No-one within adventism had made this up.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just as a matter of interest, twelve years before Helwig brought out the first edition of his Antichristus Romanus, during 1588—when the Spanish Armada sailed to conquer England—the title vicar of the Son of God appeared in Historia delle stationi di Roma (History of the Stations of Rome) by the Italian Pompeo Ugonio (d. 1614). Teaching rhetoric at La Sapienza, a prestigious gymnasium, this author was also Cardinal Ascanio Colonna’s librarian. Ugonio was much interested in the churches and other holy places of his city, saintly relics, general hagiography, etc., with special reference to Lent. He dedicated his work to the Lady Camilla Peretti, sister of Pope Sixtus V (1520–1590, reigned from 1585). Before his elevation to the pontifical throne, Felice Peretti twice served as Inquisitor General at Venice, from which he had to be recalled because of his severity. Ugonio, however, lauded him to high heaven. Calling Rome the new Jerusalem on earth, he said: “Although in this place there is no Solomon, son of David, there is the High Priest vicario del figliuol di Dio, who is more than Solomon” (an obvious and, we think, blasphemous reference to Christ’s statement about himself: “a greater than Solomon is here,” Matt. 12:42).

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife
I grow weary of your personally abusive tone.
Goodbye.
Great.
If you don't like to have your lies being publicly exposed - then I have a solution:
DON'T LIE anymore

In the meantime - let run through some of the whoppers you’ve tried to pass off as "truth" here – and for which I had to expose you:
- YOU falsely claimed that
- The Septuagint was a “Gnostic Heresy” - and kept repeating this lie.
- I didn’t address the verses that YOU presented about the “brothers” of Jesus – even though I addressed EVERY verse that uses the word “Adelphos” in the NT.
- Catholics “WORSHIP Mary 0 yet, when I asked you to prove it from our teachings – you refused to do - and kept repeating this lie.
- Acts 1:20 simply says “office” - even AFTER I showed you that the Greek word Luke used was “Episkopay (Bishopric) - and kept repeating this lie.

You’re angry because I had the “audacity” to expose you for lying and I torpedoed the ignorant anti-Catholic nonsense you were raised on. So, according to YOU – that makes me “abusive”. If I were a complacent little Catholic who didn’t care about the filth you vomit out on a daily basis – you would consider me a “nice guy”.

I’m NOT here to make friends. I’m ONLY here to expose people like YOU who can’t stop lying about the Catholic Church. So – just like I put the REST of your anti-Catholic buddies on notice – if you want me to go away, then knock it off.
Otherwise, I’ll KEEP exposing you guys to everybody who comes here to read these posts.

So, if you want to run – be my guest. But you can’t hide here.
I will expose you at EVERY turn when I catch you in another lie . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does catholic traditions give you that scripture does not ?
The Canon of Scripture, fo starters. - declared by the Catholic Church.

NONE of you have been able to address this yet . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.