Bible Problem

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell me, what do you believe is the change of thought. You said it is a change, I am trying to find out what you think was changed.

What seems and what is in this case are two very different realities.
Not sure what you mean here.
both the KJV and the other translations say that His deity was not something to be seized. Keep this verse in context.
"Did not consider equality" is different from "thought it not robbery."

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if it's true that people are sent to a forever "Hell", then Paul is wrong and Jesus is NOT the savior of "all" men.

1 Timothy 4:10-11 KJV
10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
He is the Savior towards all men, meaning He is the available Savior for all men. He couldn't mean every person, or there would be no Hell or Lake of Fire. He is the only Savior for everyone who needs saved; "specially of those that believe."

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is the Savior towards all men, meaning He is the available Savior for all men. He couldn't mean every person, or there would be no Hell or Lake of Fire. He is the only Savior for everyone who needs saved; "specially of those that believe."
My brother, Paul didn't say that Jesus is the potential savior of all men but that Jesus IS the savior of ALL men. But saved from what? Everlasting death. Those who follow Jesus in this life never die and are spared from judgment, condemnation, and a trip to the Lake of Fire. However, others will apparently need to be refined in the Lake of Fire, which is punitive but it is punitive for the purpose of refinement.

It's God's will that NONE will be lost forever. Do you believe that God's will can be thwarted?

John 6:39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My brother, Paul didn't say that Jesus is the potential savior of all men but that Jesus IS the savior of ALL men. But saved from what? Everlasting death. Those who follow Jesus in this life never die and are spared from judgment, condemnation, and a trip to the Lake of Fire. However, others will apparently need to be refined in the Lake of Fire, which is punitive but it is punitive for the purpose of refinement.

It's God's will that NONE will be lost forever. Do you believe that God's will can be thwarted?

John 6:39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.
It's ok if we disagree with this issue, and God bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NKJV is best because it's one of the translations that contains the entire word. The modern translations can't say that. God bless!
Thank you very much.
After my post I received my copy of the NKJV version and intend to use it in my study of the 4 gospels.
Blessings unto you and yours.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean here.
You said the other translations changed the meaning of the passage. I just wish to know how you think thye changed it.

But here are several translations. Tell me if there is a change of meaning.

New International Version
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

New Living Translation
Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.

English Standard Version
who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,

Berean Standard Bible
Who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

Berean Literal Bible
Who, existing in the form of God, did not consider to be equal with God something to be grasped,

King James Bible
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

New King James Version
who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,

New American Standard Bible
who, as He already existed in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

NASB 1995
who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

NASB 1977
who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

Other than the NIV, they are all saying the same thing is slightly different ways.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said the other translations changed the meaning of the passage. I just wish to know how you think thye changed it.

But here are several translations. Tell me if there is a change of meaning.

New International Version
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

New Living Translation
Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.

English Standard Version
who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,

Berean Standard Bible
Who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

Berean Literal Bible
Who, existing in the form of God, did not consider to be equal with God something to be grasped,

King James Bible
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

New King James Version
who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,

New American Standard Bible
who, as He already existed in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

NASB 1995

NASB 1977

Other than the NIV, they are all saying the same thing is slightly different ways.
The main problem is the scribe's whim that added (interpolated) this thought. It's purpose is merely to show He is equal with God (Father). No need to add to Scripture, and that's what happened. The thought even has a hint of suspicion that Christ would even consider using His Deity as an advantage. He doesn't need an advantage, and something like this didn't call for such entry of words to the Scripture.

This is pretty much of all I have to comment on this issue. There are much greater issues at stake concerning the errors of the Gnostics! Thanks for your replies and God bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The main problem is the scribe's whim that added (interpolated) this thought. It's purpose is merely to show He is equal with God (Father). No need to add to Scripture, and that's what happened. The thought even has a hint of suspicion that Christ would even consider using His Deity as an advantage. He doesn't need an advantage, and something like this didn't call for such entry of words to the Scripture.

This is pretty much of all I have to comment on this issue. There are much greater issues at stake concerning the errors of the Gnostics! Thanks for your replies and God bless!
be well.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, others will apparently need to be refined in the Lake of Fire, which is punitive but it is punitive for the purpose of refinement.
Gee,Henry VIII did the same and so did Mary Tudor. Just burn the Devil out of them.
Look. Suppose there was a concert, and you paid for everybody to have a ticket to get in. Everybody. But some people didn't want to go.
That doesn't mean you didn't pay for them, does it? It is up to them.
To say that everyone is saved is to deny free will.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That brings up the question; did the gentiles ever sin against God after Jesus died on the cross? Or where they forgiven only to be judged by merit of their choice of lived life?

Did Jesus (looking at total victory) take care of sin, death, satan, hell (as most know it)?

If he did; then everyone had been saved from the Wrath of God (which was poured upon Jerusalem), Satan, Hell, Sin, and Death.

However; the only way to please God is by faith; the way into the Kingdom is through Jesus, and everyone will be rewarded.

Not everyone is saved to the Kingdom of God; believers are though who live subjected lives towards Him; willingly, not by force.

From unbeliever to the believer.

A place to Go in total victory is outside the Kingdom; or inside. Faithful or faithless; its peoples choice.

Perhaps they are happy out in the darkness; and perhaps the fire is there to go through to get to the light, and maybe God will allow believers to help the unbelievers out there in the darkness.

God is good and has a purpose, for all things to turn out for good, he never does anything bad ever… unless you look at Him as a tyrant.

Tyrant mode enabled is God firing up the grill and frying people from the dawn of time until now, like Websters “Hells Population” thread…

Sick stuff… seek for truth. Truth will set you free of religious bondage.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NKJV is best because it's one of the translations that contains the entire word. The modern translations can't say that. God bless!
So, I must have been Misinformed about the Nkjv?:

"In most places where the NKJV disagrees with the King James Bible, it agrees with the translations of modern Alexandrian perversions, whether Protestant like the NIV, NAS, RSV, ASV, etc., or Roman Catholic like the New American Bible."
(D Daniels)

?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Patrick loves picking out parts of the Bible he likes and totally ignoring the rest. Judgment Day isn't looking good for Patrick.

Revelation 22
19 If anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life,

Patrick is only copying what he sees his preacher(s) doing.

The seminaries today are about teaching the 'milk', which means a single verse here, and a single verse there, kind of like a topic teaching, and not a line upon line, chapter by chapter Bible teaching.

If you know of a Church today that teaches Bible line upon line, chapter by chapter, let me know.

Most brethren don't even read much of their Bible. They let their preacher tell them what it says. Thusly, they are easily misled. And because there are many 'hirelings' in today's pulpits preaching which God did not call, both of them fall in the ditch. That is what has happened in the Churches that wrongly preach a fly away Pre-trib Rapture theory that only began to be preached in a Christian Church in 1830's Great Britain. They only do a pick'n'choose of Bible Scriptures they think supports their false idea, and disregard the rest of Scripture.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Patrick is only copying what he sees his preacher(s) doing.

The seminaries today are about teaching the 'milk', which means a single verse here, and a single verse there, kind of like a topic teaching, and not a line upon line, chapter by chapter Bible teaching.

If you know of a Church today that teaches Bible line upon line, chapter by chapter, let me know.

Most brethren don't even read much of their Bible. They let their preacher tell them what it says. Thusly, they are easily misled. And because there are many 'hirelings' in today's pulpits preaching which God did not call, both of them fall in the ditch. That is what has happened in the Churches that wrongly preach a fly away Pre-trib Rapture theory that only began to be preached in a Christian Church in 1830's Great Britain. They only do a pick'n'choose of Bible Scriptures they think supports their false idea, and disregard the rest of Scripture.
It is a HUGE and likely eternally fatal mistake to go to church when you haven't STUDIED the Christian Bible!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a HUGE and likely eternally fatal mistake to go to church when you haven't STUDIED the Christian Bible!
Yes. Apostle Paul commended those at Berea for checking him out in God's written Word.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It can be trustingly assumed that God's Word would be contained in the right translation, as He would not withhold any of His Words to us. It just has to be plenary first (Mat 4:4), even though the translation isn't perfect, the Word of God within the translation is; this is how God works--using the sinful for good. He uses believers for good, though the "old man" still indwells them!

When people begin to doubt the Word of God concerning plenary inspiration, it reveals misunderstanding, and entreats disuse of the Word. God has relayed all His Word, and there is nothing more and nothing less for Him to show us in this life!

Last edited:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Translations may be in error, ALL of them, but the word of God endures forever.

Jesus is that word and has been before the foundation of the universe and was present at creation of this world.

God at one time spoke directly to ppl and to the prophets, then he spoke to the world thru Jesus by salvations gift. Now he speaks to mankind by his Holy Spirit.

John 16:8 kjv
“And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:”

The devil will never eradicate the word of God thru corruption, by misinterpretation, by fire, nor banishment.

If one has applied the study and remembrance of the word, it doesn't abate. Put pressure on the point and it will blow back in the face of evil........it always has!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s my understanding that the word “perfect” concerning a translation is mostly in reference to being complete, entire, and plenary. Thus, only translations derived from that majority of extant manuscripts contain all of Word of God (Mat 4:4)! Studying a translation which has much less manuscript evidence cannot affect one’s salvation; but it will affect one’s spiritual growth in the Lord Jesus (Eph 5:14).

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s my understanding that the word “perfect” concerning a translation is mostly in reference to being complete, entire, and plenary. Thus, only translations derived from that majority of extant manuscripts contain all of Word of God (Mat 4:4)! Studying a translation which has much less manuscript evidence cannot affect one’s salvation; but it will affect one’s spiritual growth in the Lord Jesus (Eph 5:14).
Hello Netchaplain,

Yes you are right, it also can be seen as mature; perfect.

All in love,
Matthew