Biblical Foreknowledge

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anthony D....I do not want to offend, but did you do drugs as a child???

Whatever I did, or did not do, I do not lie as you do in psychotic fashion.
I forgave you the first three times, you asked for forgiveness and I said do not worry about it.
I know you know, more importantly, God knows. you lied and bore false witness...but that is done.
I have dealt with creeps online before, but your sanctimonious lying is one of the tops.
What causes you to do so might be a form of mental illness but that would be for you to seek help with.

I asked you over 15 times to go your own way, but like a moth to a flame you cannot help yourself can you

Reactions: SovereignGrace

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JonC

I do not know what you are talking about, Anthony D

Oh Yes you do, lol..why lie JonC. Try being truthful. Do not lie and bear false witness. It is okay to be who you really are.

In case you did not read my post I am a Calvinist

Lol, of course, you are;););) Only no other Calvinist has ever seen you answer and offer correction to a non cal.
You have kept it a secret for 10 years, lol...that is wonderful

I do like non-Calvinist teaching, whether I agree with the teaching or not, if it is orthodox to historic Christianity and sincere [/QUOTE]

I can tell by how you like every anti Cal post, both here and there..that is just wonderful. You just liked a post of an anti cal who offered a works-based gospel, that is just great JonC

I am a Calvinist BUT Calvinism is NOT my religion. I am a Christian,

I personally doubt it and in FACT HAVE SEEN YOU POST OTHERWISE, LOL
As such I can get along and listen to Calvinists and non-Calvinists as long as they are also Christians as well.

All Christians can do this.

Last edited:

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now getting back on topic;
God-Foreknowledge Archives - Grace Quotes

C.H.-Spurgeon.jpg

“But,” say others, “God has elected them on the foresight of their faith.” Now, God gives faith, therefore He could not have elected them on account of faith which He foresaw.

Reference: Sermons, 1.317.

Duane-Spencer1.jpg

The foreknowledge of God is based upon His decree, plan, or purpose which expresses His will, and not upon some foreseen act of positive volition on the part of man.

Reference: TULIP, The Five Points of Calvinism in the Light of Scripture, Baker, 1979, p. 29-30.

H.-Wayne-House.jpg

[God’s foreknowledge is] the selective knowledge of God that makes one an object of God's love; it is more than mere knowledge or cognition beforehand. The term focuses on God motivation to act, relating to persons rather than what the persons will or will not do.

Reference: Charts of Christian Theology and Doctrine, Zondervan, 1992, p. 91.

Jim-Elliff1.jpg

The foreknowledge spoken of (in Romans 8:29) is foreknowledge of persons, not events. The statement reads, “whom He foreknew…” You see this as well in Romans 11:2, speaking of His endearment to Israel: “God did not reject His people whom He foreknew.” Therefore we can deduce that foreknowledge as related to salvation is not just seeing a person's conversion experience prior to election and therefore electing on the basis of the individual’s choice. It is a foreloving of persons.

Reference: A Three-legged Stool: All Side of God’s Salvation Process, Christian Communicators Worldwide, www.CCWtoday.org. Used by Permission.

Author:Jim Elliff

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
here are more, same source;
John-MacArthur1.jpg

In this context, God's foreknowing is divinely purposed, foreknowing only those who would be effectually called in time to saving faith in Christ. When the New Testament speaks of God foreknowing, the object is always people rather than facts, and these people are always objects of His redemption.

Reference: God the Father by John MacArthur and Richard Mayhue taken from Biblical Doctrine by John MacArthur and Richard Mayhue, copyright 2017, Crossway Books, a division of Good News Publishers, Wheaton Illinois 60187, www.crosswaybooks.org. Page 177.
headshot.jpg

God is omniscient and knows everything. He has known everything from the beginning. Nothing is a surprise to God, nor does He ever come into possession of new knowledge. Thus God knows all people. But [foreknowledge] means more than an intellectual knowledge. It means that God knows some in a special way. In grace, in life from eternity. This is the initiative of our salvation. Redemption has its rise to God and not in man (J.P McBeth).

Thomas-Watson.jpg

It is absurd to think that anything in us could have the least influence upon our election. Some say that God did foresee that such persons would believe, and therefore did choose them; so they would make the business of salvation to depend upon something in us. Whereas God does not choose us FOR faith, but TO faith. “He hath chosen us, that we should be holy,” (Ephesians 1:4), not because we would be holy, but that we might be holy. We are elected to holiness, not for it.

Reference: A Puritan Golden Treasury, compiled by I.D.E. Thomas, by permission of Banner of Truth, Carlisle, PA. 2000, p. 83.

Author:Thomas Watson

headshot3.jpg

Election took place, not on the basis of foreseen faith, of the obedience of faith, of holiness, or any other good quality and disposition, as though it were based on a prerequisite cause or condition in the person to be chosen, but rather for the purpose of faith, of the obedience of faith, of holiness, and so on.

Reference: The Canons of Dort, The First Main Point of Doctrine: Divine Election and Reprobation. Article 9- Election not based on Foreseen Faith.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JlDagg said this;
John L. Dagg on Opposition to Sovereign Election
John L. Dagg was, according to Mark Dever, the first writing Southern Baptist theologian. His Manual of Theology was published in 1857 which was also the first published systematic theology in the South. Dagg provides an excellent chapter on the doctrine of election in which he addresses its nature and handles several proposed objections which are often brought up even today. Here is how Dagg began his chapter on the doctrine of election:

The doctrine of election encounters strong opposition in the hearts of men, and it is therefore necessary to examine thoroughly its claim to our belief. As it relates to an act of the divine mind, no proof of its truth can be equal to the testimony of the Scriptures. Let us receive their teachings on the subject without hesitation or distrust; and let us require every preconceived opinion of ours, and all our carnal reasonings, to bow before the authority of God’s holy word (309).

As Dagg rightly asserts, it is the testimony of Scriptures we must square our theology. Following his introduction, Dagg shows how the Scriptures:

1) “clearly teach, that God has an elect or chosen people” (309)
2) “teach expressly, that God’s people are chosen to salvation” (309)
3) “plainly teach that the election of grace is from eternity” (310)
4) “teach that election is of grace, and not of works” (311)
5) “teach that election is according to the foreknowledge of God” (312)

Concerning election based on foreseen faith, Dagg writes:

From the views which have been presented, it necessarily follows, that election is not on the ground of foreseen faith or obedience. On this point, the teachings of Scripture are clear. They are chosen not because of their holiness, but that they may be holy; not because of their obedience, but unto obedience. As the discrimination made in effectual calling is God’s work, and antecedent to all holiness, faith, or acceptable obedience; the purpose to discriminate could not be on the ground of acts foreseen, which do not exist as a consideration for the execution of the purpose. The discriminating grace which God bestows, is not on the ground of faith and obedience previously existing, bur for a reason known only to God himself. This unrevealed reason, and not foreseen faith and obedience, is the ground of election (312).

I think many Southern Baptists do not realize that the doctrine of unconditional election (along with the entire doctrines of grace) is historic Baptist theology. Yet it is to no one’s surprise that the doctrine of election received a considerable amount of opposition as it does today. As a follow-up to Dagg on election, I will share how he handles the issue of reprobation and double predestination. If you want to read his chapter on election yourself, here is the link.

John L. Dagg on Opposition to Sovereign Election

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Caldwell

First off, I am sorry for the drug comment. That was out of line and a knee jerk reaction to what I see as a very confused post.

Lol..sure JonC...you do this on a regular basis...then say you were joking or did not mean it. It comes from a dark place, but that is between you and God.

I do not know what you are going through, either spiritually or emotionally

I am not going through anything but your disingenuous post. I am doing just fine.

I did not mean harm by my comment.

well, it did not do any harm, but you posted it , probably trying to edify everyone, lol

Sometimes people try to argue themselves into true belief. They latch on to a system of religion and defend it with all they have hoping it will somehow save them in the end. In so doing they become irrationally argumentative and cult-like. Sometimes people have a legitimate mental issue. Sometimes people are undergoing emotional stresses. Sometimes people are just having a bad day. Either way, as a Christian I need to try to help rather than exploit their situation.

You can go with that if you want, but I know you and where you are coming from

][QUOTE]I don’t know your situation. Judging from your post, it seems to be some type of emotional situation.[/QUOTE]

Sure you do. You lie like a rug, then you try and make-believe you did not lie,lol

My advice is that you not seek to remedy your problems on online forums but speak with a pastor or a Christian friend (in person).[/QUOTE]
I do not have a problem, lol...just a lying stalker who is showing some mental defect and is denial.
Your posts remind me of the demented person who shot people on a train on LI. years ago, then he tried to represent himself in court. He asked one of the victims who shot her, she said..it was you..Colin Ferguson, that was his name.

Find someone with whom you can confide but who will also hold you accountable. Iron sharpens iron and we need one another.[/QUOTE]

You are a habitual liar JonC. I do not take any help or advice from such persons[/QUOTE]

Whatever you are going through, it is not with me

Sure it is. We both know it. Are you trying to make believe you are trying to be helpful now...that is a joke.
You think no one here knows you yet, so you can pull the wool over their eyes...:oops::oops::oops:

(I have no idea what half of what you have written is supposed to mean).

Sure you do...stop lying:rolleyes:

I will pray for you, and if you want with you, if that will help

Nah, do not bother. At this point your prayers are not leaving the room you are in. help yourself, get well soon

Reactions: Preacher4Truth
B

brakelite

People can post quotes from the Bible and their favourite PhDs as much as they like, but they will never convince me that the God who sent His only begotten Son to reveal His unconditional love, willingly and with malice and aforethought deliberately refuses to offer salvation to some and not all. The whole concept of predetermining someone to oblivion and accusing those who disagree as not wanting God to be God, is trapped in a judgmental mindset that limits grace... Limits love... Limits mercy... And those who advocate Calvinism in its purest form deny the most intrinsic and wonderful attribute of love... Self sacrifice, which was demonstrated by Jesus in the garden , and which means surrendering ones own will in favour of another, an attribute of love which God does not cast aside when dealing with man. God does allow us to live according to our own wills if we are determined to do so, even though He may offer convincing arguments in His favour... He does not impose His will upon the resolutely rebellious.
At least, that is my personal view on the concept of what love is. Convince me that love is not self sacrificial, and you may then convince me that the modern proponents of Calvin are right.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People can post quotes from the Bible and their favourite PhDs as much as they like, but they will never convince me that the God who sent His only begotten Son to reveal His unconditional love, willingly and with malice and aforethought deliberately refuses to offer salvation to some and not all. The whole concept of predetermining someone to oblivion and accusing those who disagree as not wanting God to be God, is trapped in a judgmental mindset that limits grace... Limits love... Limits mercy... And those who advocate Calvinism in its purest form deny the most intrinsic and wonderful attribute of love... Self sacrifice, which was demonstrated by Jesus in the garden , and which means surrendering ones own will in favour of another, an attribute of love which God does not cast aside when dealing with man. God does allow us to live according to our own wills if we are determined to do so, even though He may offer convincing arguments in His favour... He does not impose His will upon the resolutely rebellious.
At least, that is my personal view on the concept of what love is. Convince me that love is not self sacrificial, and you may then convince me that the modern proponents of Calvin are right.
God did offer salvation to all - not to some.

Reactions: brakelite

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you believe the OP. Is in error you have the opportunity to show it.
We are to offer the gospel to all men.
Many men have lived and died without ever hearing the gospel.
Several set aside biblical teaching and substitute their emotional thoughts in its place
God has elected a multitude to be saved. Everyone of them is going to be saved.
Brakelite, you do not want to suggest that God has no right to do so in His perfect wisdom,do you?
I have heard people say they could not worship a God who casts men into hell.You are not saying that you could not worship a God who elects a multitude to be saved are you?
The God of jn3:16 destroyed the world of the ungodly with a flood,destroyed the Sodomites,destroyed the first born in Egypt as well as those soldiers.
Why did King Nebuchadnezzar eat grass for 7 yrs? Did he decide to be a vegan?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Amen.

I am a Calvinist when it comes to the idea of election, however we (even those of us who believe that God unconditionally chooses people) have to be very careful not to exceed what is recorded in Scripture.

You are absolutely right that Scripture speaks of two people – those who are saved and those who are not. The Bible NEVER deals with those who are not saved but are chosen to be saved. Those who are saved were foreknown and were saved for a purpose prepared for them beforehand. BUT those who are not saved cannot claim that state regardless of what their future holds.

I believe these issues are most often philosophical rather than biblical, and the truth of this is not found in what is affirmed but in what is denied. Bad theology comes about when we decide to bend God’s activity to our understanding.

I agree with you also that we have free will - we make our choices and we live with the consequences of those choices (if those choices don't kill us first). I do disagree with the idea of libertarian free will (not only in a religious context but in a secular context as well), but I think that you highlight the error of the OP in what the OP denies.
Hey JC,
Welcome to the forum.
We have a nice variety of persons here and I hope you like it.

I agree fully that those who are chosen were foreknown.
The bible also speaks of the elect and I see two types of elect persons.

Trying to reconcile God's Sovereignty with the free will He gave us and is found throughout the bible is not an easy task.

I do wish you'd explain what you mean by libertatian free will...
Isn't this the only TRUE free will we can have?

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey JC,
Welcome to the forum.
We have a nice variety of persons here and I hope you like it.

I agree fully that those who are chosen were foreknown.
The bible also speaks of the elect and I see two types of elect persons.

Trying to reconcile God's Sovereignty with the free will He gave us and is found throughout the bible is not an easy task.

I do wish you'd explain what you mean by libertatian free will...
Isn't this the only TRUE free will we can have?
Thank you.

By libertarian free will I mean that man's choices and morals are not controlled by an outside force or other persons.

How much of our choices, our desires, our will, is influenced rather than divorced from forces beyond our control? Is the abused more inclined be abusive or anti-abusive (either way) based on experience than are those who have never experienced such influencers? Is the college student more inclined to be an evolutionist while the strict KJO baptist is more inclined to reject the theory when encountered? Does genetics impact our desires?

If so, then free-will is not a libertarian free-will but human free agency.

Theologically the question is whether or not God influences people. If so, then there is no libertarian free will. Men make choices based on factors (tradition, education, experience, fears, mental conditions, emotional state, up bringing, instilled values, ect .). The will is never free of influences (hence Scripture's caution about our company and the things we allow in our heart).

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Thank you.

By libertarian free will I mean that man's choices and morals are not controlled by an outside force or other persons.

How much of our choices, our desires, our will, is influenced rather than divorced from forces beyond our control? Is the abused more inclined be abusive or anti-abusive (either way) based on experience than are those who have never experienced such influencers? Is the college student more inclined to be an evolutionist while the strict KJO baptist is more inclined to reject the theory when encountered? Does genetics impact our desires?

If so, then free-will is not a libertarian free-will but human free agency.

Theologically the question is whether or not God influences people. If so, then there is no libertarian free will. Men make choices based on factors (tradition, education, experience, fears, mental conditions, emotional state, up bringing, instilled values, ect .). The will is never free of influences (hence Scripture's caution about our company and the things we allow in our heart).
A very clear answer.
If I may,,, the way you explain libertarian free will is also how it's understood in theology and not only philosophy. It is a choice that is made without outside influence.

And you're right, of course, every decision we make is influenced by something.

I'd like to offer the following which deals only with theology.

When we speak of free will in theology, we speak only of decisions we need to make which are moral in character. For instance when God tells the Israelites that He has set before them a choice...Deuteronomy 30:19 Life or Death.

So in God's language Libertarian free will is a free will that we have where we can make our own decisions based on our life, our beliefs, etc. BUT the end result is OUR decision.

In Calvinism we encounter compatible free will.
Compatible just means that their free will is compatible with God's free will.
But what does this mean? It sounds so good.
It isn't, because it's not free will at all but only an illusion of it.
Compatible free will means that God MAKES the person WANT what HE wants...

How is that free if God is forcing someone to desire what He desires?
It's not.

Of course, this is also for those reading along who may not know this.

I believe in libertarian free will since I am not calvinist in any way.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Caldwell,

Let's see what our friend JonC has to edify us today;)
Christ taught that I am to love my enemies and to pray for those who persecute me and say all kinds of evil against me because of Christ.

Yes...Jesus taught that and we are to obey that.
We are also taught that lying and bearing false witness is a sin. You might try and do that.
So with that in mind let's see what is on your mind and heart
;)

I do not believe that prayer is useless,
Lie number one...no one said prayer is useless.It was said that your disingenuous prayer does not even leave the room you are in, because God sees the heart, and mostly is not going to answer those who pray amiss;

James 4 King James Version (KJV)
4 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
even towards those who persecute not only me but also Christ by that persecution

You are not being persecuted JonC....you have lied over and over.....now when people identify your lying you call them your enemy. Please stop such wickedness.

. Foreknowledge does not mean that prayer is meaningless.
Lie number two....No one said anything like that. You invent this false idea...You suggest a lie once again, and bear false witness..You cannot help yourself.

Perhaps your denial of the effectiveness and necessity of prayer
Lie number 3...I do not deny this you liar. I think you are doing this on purpose, an evil purpose. Repent JonC

highlights how you hold Calvinism as a religion and how it misshapes your view here.

Real Calvinists know that it is not just a view, it is the Christian life itself. Calvinism is another name for the gospel Jesus taught bringing the whole man to the whole Christ.

For my part, I forgive you for your sin against me.

Telling you the truth about you does not need forgiveness, you can thank me and the other brothers who confronted you in love , trying to get you to repent of your sin.,P4T, Sg, Biblicist, martin marprelate,Lk24, Rippon,Archangel, Reformed,reformed baptist, David Taylor, greek tim, and many others have told you the same thing..

I have absolutely no right to hold even the ungodly “christian” as a debtor because God has forgiven me
Here you like satan are an accuser of the brethren...this is your M.O. Ungodly christian indeed.
Now will come the sanctimonious sermonette that you are trying to help and offer advise...we have seen it before

It is sad that the persecutors who openly trample the blood of Christ are found within the Church (assuming that you are a member of a church),

You can keep your wicked thoughts to yourself...what a creep you are Jonc

but we are taught that even wolves will sneak in.

Luckily we can spot a wolve like you a mile away

Yet even here our reaction is to protect those in our charge and to forgive wrongs against us. We (Christians) are purchased with the blood of Christ and are not our own. Sin is sin against God, and that is what you need to consider. The heart of a man sometimes comes out on these types of boards as the normal roadblocks are removed.[/QUOTE]

Yes..your evil lying and slander have come out. Do you want me to have the others come in and expose your falsehoods?

Next comes the sanctimonious sermonette, dripping with self -righteousness,and accusing me,lol right on time
So while I cannot pray with you I will pray for you as not only do prayers matter but we are to pray for the persecutors.

My prayer is that God will help you to bring you to a godly sorrow leading to repentance and to life
I pray that the scales will fall from your eyes and you will start seeing the value in the blood of Christ, the blood you trample when you trample upon those for whom Christ died.

I pray that you will be able to set aside your arrogance and your religion

and truly see the gospel and know what God had done and what has been wrought in the hearts and lives of those of us who believe. I pray that God will keep you safe in your travels.

You hypocritical, ungodly, troll, keep your self-righteousness to your self, I do not need you doing satans
work questioning my salvation, and the salvation of my brothers in Christ.

You go your way I will go mine, you stalking troll:oops:

You appear to be wrestling with emotional issues

You can keep calling names, but that is all you have. i am glad to expose your lying evil posting

perhaps something even greater and of eternal consequence. Sin cannot be removed by theological positions. Salvation is not obtained through cognitive knowledge. It is not what we know about God but that we know and are known by Christ. God loved the world by giving His Son to die that we might live. Apart from Christ, Anthony D, there is no life. It is not a work that we rely upon but a state of belief in Christ. We cannot “walk in the light” while remaining in darkness.

Your lies are being exposed so you will not be able to harm others

Your profile indicates that you are a truck driver

For any who read this, this is yet another lie. JonC knows I drive a truck, we have spoken on the phone and I explained that I was driving in a construction zone...he makes as if he just discovered that on my profile so he could launch yet more attacks.

Perhaps this colors how you interact with other people, I don't know. But don't let your travels keep you from Christ[/QUOTE].

Get lost you loser.Go get the help you need

Find a church somewhere. If you drive a standard route perhaps you can find several.

Maybe I should find the one you are in and inform them of who you really are.

Please, Anthony, our time here on earth is short. Do not put off for tomorrow what needs to be done today.

Yes , your concern for me and the Calvinist brothers is touching. I have not seen as much concern since Cain and Abel
6 And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?

7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

Keep your posts to yourself. Maybe someone can help you.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
nod.gif

Great post.
If God is Love,,,,
Calvinism cannot be right.
A loving God will not create some specifically for the purpose of going to hell.

But, gee, maybe it's US that don't understand.
You see, WE ARE ALL EVIL and should be going to hell...
So God is loving because He picked some of us to go to heaven.

And this....to the calvinist mind...is love.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is completely false. Calvinism is "another gospel", not the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Please do not confuse Calvinism as a religion with Calvinism as a theological position. There are Christians who are Calvinists a then there are "Calvinists". The difference is Christ. Those who are Christians are known for their love for the breathern NOT for their love of their religious convictions.

Reactions: GodsGrace

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A very clear answer.
If I may,,, the way you explain libertarian free will is also how it's understood in theology and not only philosophy. It is a choice that is made without outside influence.

And you're right, of course, every decision we make is influenced by something.

I'd like to offer the following which deals only with theology.

When we speak of free will in theology, we speak only of decisions we need to make which are moral in character. For instance when God tells the Israelites that He has set before them a choice...Deuteronomy 30:19 Life or Death.

So in God's language Libertarian free will is a free will that we have where we can make our own decisions based on our life, our beliefs, etc. BUT the end result is OUR decision.

In Calvinism we encounter compatible free will.
Compatible just means that their free will is compatible with God's free will.
But what does this mean? It sounds so good.
It isn't, because it's not free will at all but only an illusion of it.
Compatible free will means that God MAKES the person WANT what HE wants...

How is that free if God is forcing someone to desire what He desires?
It's not.

Of course, this is also for those reading along who may not know this.

I believe in libertarian free will since I am not calvinist in any way.
I agree with much of what you put forward here. Maybe I am looking too hard i to the topic.

And I do hold to a position of compatiblism. The reason is that I view God's will being like our own as anthropomorphic. I do not believe God has to ponder or decide things, but we do.

Christ died that all who believe might be saved. This is all men, and all are called to this salvation. So there is influence in the belief. And we are human, following our own desires. So there is Influence in the rejection.

But you are right that the choice is ours.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Please do not confuse Calvinism as a religion with Calvinism as a theological position. There are Christians who are Calvinists a then there are "Calvinists". The difference is Christ. Those who are Christians are known for their love for the breathern NOT for their love of their religious convictions.
John 13:35

Reactions: John Caldwell

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I agree with much of what you put forward here. Maybe I am looking too hard i to the topic.

And I do hold to a position of compatiblism. The reason is that I view God's will being like our own as anthropomorphic. I do not believe God has to ponder or decide things, but we do.

Christ died that all who believe might be saved. This is all men, and all are called to this salvation. So there is influence in the belief. And we are human, following our own desires. So there is Influence in the rejection.

But you are right that the choice is ours.
I'm not saying God's will is like our own....
We have attributes like God has because He created us in His image...
That doesn't mean we are little gods.

Compatibilist free will is no free will because God decides for us what we are to want. I'd like to clear this up since it seems you'll be on this thread.

If we still don't agree now, then let it go and eventually we'll understand each other.