Biblical illiteracy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
We don't have to be illiterate Jesus said I have foretold you all things. How many times have you read this line "have you not read it" or "it is written"

Yeah, many are divorcing scriptures from the Christ and think somehow a "voice" from heaven ...or somewhere else...will show them "this is the way, walk ye therein"..a caricature actually

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Johann
Was the man, Saul, who would be Apostle Paul, illiterate in the Scriptures before he met Jesus on the road to Damascus?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I often wonder why those who are biblically knowledgeable are also the most illiterate in their relationship with God.

Reactions: amadeus

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't have to be illiterate Jesus said I have foretold you all things. How many times have you read this line "have you not read it" or "it is written"
If Jesus said, "it is written," where was it written?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I concur with some post here on having learning and lacking understanding and wisdom!

I have met many scholars of the written word who lacked the wisdom of the living word.
I most often think of these types as " much LEARNING ,hath made thee mad".

It is sad and difficult to share with these ppl the truth that sets free bc they are bound by WHAT THEY THINK!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
@Johann
Was the man, Saul, who would be Apostle Paul, illiterate in the Scriptures before he met Jesus on the road to Damascus?

Act 22:3 I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

How do you read?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I often wonder why those who are biblically knowledgeable are also the most illiterate in their relationship with God.
Yes, indeed!

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." II Tim 2:15

But that verse, concerns studying to be "approved unto God" rather than to learn, does it not? The following verse shows where the real learning of God's Truth comes into play, although of course, studying is likely used by the Holy Ghost.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

Study alone, with the brain of man alone, without the lead of the Holy Ghost, with regard to the Bible, can indeed be a weariness of the flesh.

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Act 22:3 I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

How do you read?
Saul/Paul was very well educated in the scriptures, but he was missing something vital to a real connection with God! He lacked the Life, which Jesus brought! But then... Saul/Paul turned around:

"And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do" Acts 9:1-6

"And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith
, and arose, and was baptized." Acts 9:17-18

What was so vital to that very intelligent well educated man? He knew the scriptures, but Truth?

"Pilate saith unto him, What is truth?..." John 18:38

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

Reactions: Rita

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Saul/Paul was very well educated in the scriptures, but he was missing something vital to a real connection with God! He lacked the Life, which Jesus brought! But then... Saul/Paul turned around:

"And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do" Acts 9:1-6

"And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith
, and arose, and was baptized." Acts 9:17-18

What was so vital to that very intelligent well educated man? He knew the scriptures, but Truth?

"Pilate saith unto him, What is truth?..." John 18:38

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

Where are you going with this?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where are you going with this?
Just answered your previous question. I am going only, hopefully, wherever God wants me to go... Should I be going for more than that?
Give God the glory!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Just answered your previous question. I am going only, hopefully, wherever God wants me to go... Should I be going for more than that?
Give God the glory!

Lol!
Give Elohim the doxa!
Blessings
J.
...the wind bloweth..

Joh_3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth....

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
"... I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." Jesus! [per John 14:6]

... No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day...

....Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father....

...Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,...

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I posted this: -

To which you responded with: -

How is your style of life?
Measuring up with your outward profession?

Is that you Matthew? I guess that you look a lot younger in the picture above your forum handle/name than what you presently look like in real life.

Sadly your false argument of attacking the person rather than commenting on the content of my post says it all. It seems that I hit a personal raw nerve with my post quoted above.

Now in response to your above question: -

And yes, I do measure up, in my humble opinion, in my journey in this life, but the final decision is God's to make, at the appropriate time, and that is not until the Final Judgement as to whether I am a Sheep or a Goat.

Shalom