The Biblical Basis of 10 Catholic Distinctves

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am an evangelical Methodist who grew up Pentecostal. But for 12 years I was a Theology Professor at a Catholic university. I have a positive perspective on Catholic spirituality, despite the fact that I have even won a lawsuit against Catholics! Despite this, I believe there is no Christian spirituality superior to Catholic spirituality at its best and I prefer to ponder the relevance of the biblical basis for this spirituality to my own Christian journey. Sadly, many evangelicals assess Catholic spirituality only on the basis of its worst exemplars and know nothing of how informed Catholics might support their distinctives on biblical grounds. So in this thread I will take a sympathetic look at the biblical basis for 10 Catholic distinctives. In the interests of coherent and focused discussion, I only ask posters to confine their comments to the distinctive under currrent discussion. In my next planned post I will begin with the biblical basis for the Catholic use of Holy Water.

This thread will sequentially discuss the biblical underpinnings of these 10 Catholic distinctives:
(1) Holy Water
(2) Holy Relics
(3) Prayer to Saints
(4) Catholic Mariology
(5) Priestly Confession and Absolution
(6) Infant Baptism
(7) Transubstantiation/ Real Presence
(8) Purgatory
(9) Catholic Doctrine of Justification
(10) Catholic View of Scripture and Tradition

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(1) THE BIBLICAL INSPIRATION FOR THE USE OF HOLY WATER:

The underlying principles for Catholic sprinkling with Holy Water are the various uses of sacred water in God's Word to bless, purify, heal, or establish innocence. The Apostolic Constitutions (c. 400 AD) trace the priestly use of Holy Water to the Apostle Matthew and thus attests the great antiquity of the Church's use of Holy Water. The first biblical reference to "Holy Water" can be found in Num. 5:16-19. Drinking it will exhonorate the innocent and bring curse on the guilty. On certain occasions, bathing in ritual water can purify someone and refusing to use this water retains guilt (e. g. Lev. 17:15-16). Blessed water can unleash healing power. Naaman reluctantly obeys Elisha's command to immerse himself 7 times in the Jordan to heal his leprosy (2 Kings 5:10, 14). In the NT the Pool of Bethzatha has healing efficacy when it is stirred up (John 5:7). Jesus recognizes the healing power of blessed water by using spittle to heal the blind and the dead (John 9:6-7). But the blind man in John 9:6-7 also needs to wash in the blessed waters of the Pool of Siloam to compete his healing.

My next planned post will testify to modern examples of the various types of spiritual power of holy water.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(1a) A few years ago, I received a call from friends at a UMC church I used to pastor. Their son in his late teens was secretly addicted to opioids. Then one night he went reluctantly to a horror movie with friends. The combined effect of created fear and opioids left him vulnerable to spirit oppression with paranormal manifestations like a supernatural light shining in his closet and his bedsheets being violently ripped from his bed in the middle of the night.

His desperate parents summoned an evangelical deliverance team to "cleanse" the boy and his room, but their invocation of Jesus' name had no effect. As a last resort, these evangelical parents called the local Catholic bishop, who sent them a mild-mannered Nigerian priest-exorcist. This Nigerian chanted his exorcism prayers, SPRINKLED HOLY WATER, and quickly took charge of the infesting spirit. This Catholic Nigerian succeeded where the evangelical exorcist team failed!

(1b) The real possession case that inspired the horror movie, "The Exorcist," involved a young boy who was playing with a Ouija board. The boy displayed the classic paranormal symptoms of possession--superhuman strength, levitation, psychokinetic movement of objects, etc. A Lutheran pastor tried and failed to exorcise the boy and was injured in his efforts. Realizing he was in over his head, he called the local Catholic bishop, who sent Father Bowdern for a long siege with Satan that involved a family move form Georgetown to St. Louis. Father Bowderm and his Catholic team regularly sprinkled Holy Water on the boy, which greatly upset the demon and proved quite effective. Eventually the boy converted to Catholicism so he could receive the Catholic Eucharist. The key moment of victory occurred when the boy was able to affirm Jesus as his Lord and confessed "Dominus."

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(1c) HEALING MARIAN SPRINGS

An important variant of Holy Water is the healing Marian spring. If you want to experience awe, wonder, and a profound sense of the sacred watch this famous old movie ("The Song of Bernadette" [1943]) about Bernadette, the simple young girl whose visions of the Virgin Mary led to her discovery of the hidden spring at Lourdes that over the centuries has triggered pilgrimages by millions and countless healing miracles.

the song of bernadette movie online - - Video Search Results

Jennifer Jones won the Best Actress Oscar for her performance as Bernadette.

THE HEALING SPRING BY THE HOUSE OF THE VIRGIN MARY ON TOP OF A SMALL MOUNTAIN JUST OUTSIDE THE MASSIVE RUINS OF ANCIENT EPHESUS

Dick climbed this little mountain on a "Footsteps of St. Paul Tour" that he (and later I) took about 10 years ago. Dick went on this tour despite the fact that he had torn tendons in his badly arthritic knee.
He limped badly up the beautiful little mountain lined with box-shaped trees and an elegant wall along the pathway. A Turkish lady saw him limp and urged him to bottle water from the adjacent Marian spring that could be tapped from a spigot in the descending wall. A skeptical Dick complied just to be polite, but when he returned to his hotel, he complained about his pain to his wife, Mary Ann. She replied, "Well, why don't you pour the bottled water onto your knee to see if that helps?" Dick replied, "Why? It's just water with no special powers!" His wife retorted, "I agree, but what do you have to lose?" So Dick reluctantly poured the water on his knee. He felt a little better, but attributed this to a placebo effect.

When he returned to the US, he entered a Spokane hospital for orthopedic surgery on his knee. When he came out of the anesthesia, his surgeon stood at the foot of his bed. The surgeon said defensively, "I don't understand it. We took MRIs and did other tests on your torn tendons before your trip, but when we cut you open, your knee was perfectly normal and even the arthritis was gone!" The doctor probably feared a malpractice lawsuit. Dick testified to his miracle in my church and began it in this unforgettable way: "Now I do some things which many of you would disapprove of!"