Is The Chosen biblically accurate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The TV series The Chosen is not biblically accurate. Its stories are dramatized based on the Bible. I would not use it to support any theological arguments.

Wiki:

The Chosen is an American historical drama television series created, directed and co-written by Christian filmmaker Dallas Jenkins. It is the first multiseason series about the life and ministry of Jesus of Nazareth.
They confessed their artistic license in the opening credits of the first episode:

The Chosen is based on the true stories of the gospels of Jesus Christ. Some locations and timelines have been combined or condensed. Backstories and some characters or dialogue have been added. However, all biblical and historical context and any artistic imagination are designed to support the truth and intention of the Scriptures. Viewers are encouraged to read the gospels.
Is it worth watching?

I watched it. It is good in terms of characters and acting. Some of the scenes moved me. It is a decent artistic production.

If you prefer something more accurate, I recommend The Gospel of John.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The TV series The Chosen is not biblically accurate. Its stories are dramatized based on the Bible. I would not use it to support any theological arguments.

Wiki:

They confessed their artistic license in the opening credits of the first episode:

Is it worth watching?

I watched it. It is good in terms of characters and acting. Some of the scenes moved me. It is a decent artistic production.

When you tell the stories of your experiences, do you tell them word for word, emphasis for emphasis, statement for statement every time you tell them? I guess not! You take the liberty of licence to present them with variations according to your audience and hopefully you remain true to the context. Does that make your stories untrue? Of course not.
So why are we so stiff necked and tight fisted when it comes to telling the stories of the greatest Man ever to walk the Earth?

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia

Wiki:

Is it worth watching?

Agree, also the Gospel of Luke, but mostly i was moved in remembrance and a stir of memory of Jesus' saying/word/teaching. Character wise, the actor of the Gospel of John tops better, according to my spiritual discernment.

But for the 'author and finisher of our faith', He would have been on a different level of enactment to fulfillment. Because, according to Apostle John, if were write down everything Jesus said and done, there's no enough books to contain them.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
When you tell the stories of your experiences, do you tell them word for word, emphasis for emphasis, statement for statement every time you tell them? I guess not! You take the liberty of licence to present them with variations according to your audience and hopefully you remain true to the context. Does that make your stories untrue? Of course not.
So why are we so stiff necked and tight fisted when it comes to telling the stories of the greatest Man ever to walk the Earth?
Apparently the Gospel story have been already testified by four witnesses, even by the wisdom given them. And later, is also written down for all nation, kindred and tongue to be disciple by and be baptized, even after them.

Basically based on scripture, we are not to add nor subtract from what is already written down, even from the book Revelation. That's why generally in regards movie in reenactment, character wise and story wise, they differ from one another.

Whereas in enactment of the four Gospels, there's only one character and one story happened and testified, having them put together. Similarly, even in discipleship of the Holy Bible by many teachers, in reenactment they too differ from one another. As a result until to date, there are multiple denominations and traditions in the world.

When supposedly there started out and should only be one church of Lord Jesus Christ, as there's only one body of Christ.