Biblical Mary

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Apostle Paul used it to prove that all have sinned!
Are you more “versed” in scripture than an inspired Apostle????
Absolutely FALSE.

Paul was making a general statement and using inclusive language to show that this is the normative rule - for MOST people.
However, as I indicated before . . .
- Jesus
didn't sin.
- Babies don't sin.
- The severely mentally retarded don't sin because they don't have full use of their faculties.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I understand what heresy is. Anything that goes against tthe written word of God.

Things like perpetual virgin Mary,
Mary Queen of heaven
Mary not having sex ever.
Devotions and prayers to Mary and the saints and the angels.
Penance in order to receive "absolution" from ones sins.
Believing the Pope is "Vicarius filia Dei"

These are but a tiny list of heresies, since Roman Catholicism is the topic at hand. If you start a thread about Baptists, I will gladly list heresies found in the Holy Baptist chruches!

So the Catholic announced heretics were busy exposing heresies. So in the eyes of God Men like Hus, Tyndale, Calvin et al were exp[osing hersies and heretical teachings while also having heresy in them.
WRONG.
That's NOT the definition of heresy. Heresey is the repudiation of doctrine.

NONE of the things you listed above are heresies - especially the ones in RED. The others are doctrines - not heresies.
As for the Popes supposed "title" of "Vicarius filia Dei" - this is based on a myth and is NOT a title of the Pope. Do your homework, dude.

THANK YOU for proving to everybody here that you couldn't tell the truth if your life depended on it.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Once again you are hyper parsing something to slant the truth. Communion is not under the authority. They do not answer to Rome or Roman Catholic Cardinals. They are not under the authority of the pope, but haver their own leadership. that makes them their own sect! YOu can try to play your word games all day, but every who has half an ounce of knowledge of religions knows that Roman Catholic answers to teh pope, all the other Cathoplic sects do not answer to thePope.

The still do not hold to the pope as teh head of their sect! Why you do not acknowlege that is a telling thing that you are simply playing word gamers to deny a truth that all Roman Catholics realize- They are Roman Catholics and these other Catholics are not.

Roman Catholic churches answer to rome and the college of cardinals- these other catholic churches do not!

I do not understand why you think you are such an expert on the structure of the Catholic Church. You are in denial of the truth and have not produced any evidence to backup that denial.
Regarding my quotes
1. The definition of an Eastern-Rite Catholic is: A Christian of any Eastern rite in union with the pope
Why does that mean they are not in union with the Pope?

2. They differ from other Eastern Christians in that they are in communion with Rome
Why does in communion with Rome, not mean they are part of the Catholic Church?

Congregation for the Eastern Churches
The complex reality of the Oriental Churches with respect to their geographical, cultural and social conditions requires that the great Catholic community will share its resources, which can help the Orientals to keep alive and to develop the most genuine traditions of their Churches according to the instructions of the Second Vatican Council, the norms of the Code of Canons of the Oriental Churches and the directives of the Supreme Pontiffs.

If these Eastern/Oriental Churches are not part of the Catholic Church why does the Congregation for the Eastern Churches (part of the Roman Curia) say these the Churches act
- according to the instructions of the Second Vatican Council
- according the norms of the Code of Canons of the Oriental Churches (set by the Vatican)
- according to the directives of the Supreme Pontiffs?

Here is an extract from Wikipedia on Catholic Church.
Some Eastern Catholic churches are governed by a patriarch who is elected by the synod of the bishops of that church, others are headed by a major archbishop, others are under a metropolitan, and others are organised as individual eparchies.Each church has authority over the particulars of its internal organisation, liturgical rites, liturgical calendar and other aspects of its spirituality, subject only to the authority of the pope. The Roman Curia has a specific department, the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, to maintain relations with them. The pope does not generally appoint bishops or clergy in the Eastern Catholic Churches, deferring to their internal governance structures, but may intervene if he feels it necessary.

The Second Vatican Council (Vatican II) produced a decree Unitatis redintegratio which
recognizes the right of Eastern Catholics in communion with the Holy See to keep their distinct liturgical practices and avoid Latinisation. It encourages them to "take steps to return to their ancestral traditions." (Wkipedia)

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if the word brother and sister is not a clue to you, then you have a bigger problem than expected. You do not even understand simple words describing a family!

And I keep telling you I was not there when Jesus handed Mary over to Joh, god opted not to say why in Scripture. Why do you want me to give a why when God didn't? Just so you can find another rabbit trail to go down and vomit out more ad-hominems??
I want you to give a "WHY" because YOU demand one for every Catholic belief.

As for the words "brother" (adelphos) and "sister" (adelphe) - did Peter have 120 "brothers", as we read in Acts 1:15??
Did Mary really have a uterine "sister" as we read in John 19:25??
OR, were these words used for some other relation??

do your HOMEWORK . . .

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. The definition of an Eastern-Rite Catholic is: A Christian of any Eastern rite in union with the pope

2. They differ from other Eastern Christians in that they are in communion with Rome

Why?

Because they do not recognize the pope as teh head of the church.
Because they do not recognize the college of roman catholic cardinals as the supreme ruling body for their sect.
Because Rome does not ordain their priests, grant them permission to ordain their own ministers.
because they have their own patriarchs
Because they still acknowledge they do not recognize the pope as head of the church nor Rome as the ruling authority for their sects.

They recognize the eastern patriarchs as the head of their church and their heads do not submit to the pope!

What part of this do you not understand? Roman Catholicism is its own sect headquatered in Rome.

The words union and communion do not mean they recognize the structure of the roman Catholic Church as their governing or ruling structure. That makes them their own sect of Christendom. Yes their is alot of unity and communion, but at the end of the day- they look to different people as the leader of their perspective churches.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Melkite Greek Catholic Church (Arabic: كنيسة الروم الملكيين الكاثوليك‎, Kanīsat ar-Rūm al-Malakiyyīn al-Kāṯūlīk; Greek: Μελχιτική Ελληνική Καθολική Εκκλησία; Latin: Ecclesiae Graecae Melkitae Catholicae) or Melkite Byzantine Catholic Church, is an Eastern Catholic church in full communion with the Holy See as part of the worldwide Catholic Church. It is headed by Patriarch Youssef Absi, headquartered in Cathedral of Our Lady of the Dormition, Damascus, Syria. The Melkites, Byzantine Rite Catholics, trace their history to the early Christians of Antioch, formerly part of Syria and now in Turkey, of the 1st century AD, where Christianity was introduced by Saint Peter.[3]

The Melkite Church is related to the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch. It is mainly centered in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel and Palestine.[4] Melkite Greek Catholics are present, however, throughout the world by migration due to persecution. Outside the Near East, the Melkite Church has also grown through intermarriage with, and the conversion of, people of various ethnic heritages as well as transritualism. At present there is a worldwide membership of approximately 1.6 million.[2][5] While the Melkite Catholic Church's Byzantine rite liturgical traditions are shared with those of Eastern Orthodoxy, the church has officially been part of the Catholic Church since the reaffirmation of its union with the Holy See of Rome in 1724.

Though members of Orthodox Churches essentially practice the same faith as those of the Roman Catholic Church, they remain separated because of an historic dispute over the supremacy of the Pope. Since the Eastern Orthodox Church refuses to acknowledge the authority of the Pope, its members by definition cannot follow leadership from the Pope. There was once only one Christian church. Proclaimed “catholic,” which means universal, because it had a global reach, this institution split into eastern and western branches in 1054. The Pope leads the western Catholic Church, with its headquarters, Vatican City, located within Rome, Italy. Proclaimed the Vicar of Christ, or the human representative of Jesus, the Christian savior, the Pope assumes infallibility, or unquestioned authority, when making statements in an official capacity. Christians, such as Orthodox Catholics, that refuse to submit to the authority of the Pope are in a state of schism, or separation, from the Roman Catholic Church.

What part of the fact that all the easter Catholic churches do not submit to the authority of the pope do you have a problem with!

Eastern Orthodox Catholics that do partake of communion in a Roman Catholic Church do so of their own will and may face penalties in their home church because the act implies submission to the Pope. 4 Different Traditions of the Same Faith
Do Orthodox Catholics Follow the Pope? |

YOu sir need to recant of the lie the eastern churches submit to the pope. they do not and for you to say so is known as lying!

They may have the same practices but the eastern churches ordain their own priests, follow their own patriarchs and do not recognize the pope as head or the college of cardinals as their governing ruling body.
This is perhaps, your MOST IDIOTIC post yet.

Can you READ the RED text at the top of this post that YOU copies and pasted from wikipedia??
"IN FULL COMMUNION WITH THE HOLY SEE"
means that they are part of the ONE Catholic Church.
The "Holy See" refers to the Pope - the See of Rome, of which HE is the Bishop.

You are FAR too ignorant to discuss this matter intelligently.
Go do your homework before responding because this is just embarrassing . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not understand why you think you are such an expert on the structure of the Catholic Church. You are in denial of the truth and have not produced any evidence to backup that denial.
Regarding my quotes

Congregation for the Eastern Churches
The complex reality of the Oriental Churches with respect to their geographical, cultural and social conditions requires that the great Catholic community will share its resources, which can help the Orientals to keep alive and to develop the most genuine traditions of their Churches according to the instructions of the Second Vatican Council, the norms of the Code of Canons of the Oriental Churches and the directives of the Supreme Pontiffs.

If these Eastern/Oriental Churches are not part of the Catholic Church why does the Congregation for the Eastern Churches (part of the Roman Curia) say these the Churches act
- according to the instructions of the Second Vatican Council
- according the norms of the Code of Canons of the Oriental Churches (set by the Vatican)
- according to the directives of the Supreme Pontiffs?

Here is an extract from Wikipedia on Catholic Church.
Some Eastern Catholic churches are governed by a patriarch who is elected by the synod of the bishops of that church, others are headed by a major archbishop, others are under a metropolitan, and others are organised as individual eparchies.Each church has authority over the particulars of its internal organisation, liturgical rites, liturgical calendar and other aspects of its spirituality, subject only to the authority of the pope. The Roman Curia has a specific department, the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, to maintain relations with them. The pope does not generally appoint bishops or clergy in the Eastern Catholic Churches, deferring to their internal governance structures, but may intervene if he feels it necessary.

The Second Vatican Council (Vatican II) produced a decree Unitatis redintegratio which recognizes the right of Eastern Catholics in communion with the Holy See to keep their distinct liturgical practices and avoid Latinisation. It encourages them to "take steps to return to their ancestral traditions." (Wkipedia)
Thus guy's (@Ronald Nolette) ignorance of ALL things Catholic is laughable - if not so tragic.
It's like trying to play tennis with a blind man - only the blind man has a leg up on this guy . . .

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want you to give a "WHY" because YOU demand one for every Catholic belief.

As for the words "brother" (adelphos) and "sister" (adelphe) - did Peter have 120 "brothers", as we read in Acts 1:15??
Did Mary really have a uterine "sister" as we read in John 19:25??
OR, were these words used for some other relation??

do your HOMEWORK . . .

I did, now do yours.

Matt. 12:
46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.

47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Who are Jesus brethren in verse 46 in light of his declaration in 49&50. Using your faulty exegesis, we can say Mary is not Jesus MOther!

Mark 6:3
King James Version

3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

YOu are afflicted with not seeing the trees for the forest. Maybe you never learned that context matters in understanding a word that has more than just one explicit meaning.

Mark 6:3 can only be read on e way. James ,Joses, Simon and Judah are Jesus' brothers by birth and that Jesus had at least 2 sisters!
They were specifically called "his" brothers and sisters.

Now look at Acts 1:15

ASV
And in these days Peter stood up in the midst of the brethren, and said (and there was a multitude of persons gathered together, about a hundred and twenty),

Here it is simply the brethren- the generic meaning kindred in spirit.

but let us look at the word and its various uses: "adelphos"

1. a brother, whether born of the same two parents or only of the same father or mother

2. having the same national ancestor, belonging to the same people, or countryman

3. any fellow or man

4. a fellow believer, united to another by the bond of affection

5. an associate in employment or office

6. brethren in Christ

1. his brothers by blood

2. all men

3. apostles

4. Christians, as those who are exalted to the same heavenly place
  7. Now it can't be #2 because he was surrounded by Jews and disciples.
  8. nor #3 why would these Jews be singled out and sisters mentioned inlight there were men and women in the crowd.
  9. nor would it simply mean #4 for Jesus was surrounded by others bonded by affection
  10. #6 --no! I don't think I need to explain this to you.
  11. #6 why Just these four men? Christianity hadn't been born yet Nor were they the only four who were like minded in the crowd? Also these four and his two or more sisters may not have even been in the corwd. The phrase the pharisees used most likely meant that HIs four brothers were still in Nazareth living there with Mary.
No, the only context that makes any sense in light of the event it is spoken in is that these were Jesus brethren

also in light of Jewish culture and tradition, having large families was a sign of honor and prestige! Also given the fact that Jospeh and Mary started "knowing " each other after Jesus was born- they would have had kids!

YOu should do your homework-- I did mine!

Reactions: David in NJ

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife

You do not represent your church well friend.
Because I don't allow you to lie about it?
It's a LOT of fun spreading lies - but it's not ANY fun at all getting caught.

If you were expecting to bully another weak or poorly-catechized Catholic and get away with it - you came to the WRONG guy.
Unfortunately you DO represent most anti-Catholics out there . . .

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is perhaps, your MOST IDIOTIC post yet.

Can you READ the RED text at the top of this post that YOU copies and pasted from wikipedia??
"IN FULL COMMUNION WITH THE HOLY SEE"
means that they are part of the ONE Catholic Church.
The "Holy See" refers to the Pope - the See of Rome, of which HE is the Bishop.

You are FAR too ignorant to discuss this matter intelligently.
Go do your homework before responding because this is just embarrassing . . .

And yet all the eatern churches though in communion with your poppa, do not recognize him as the head of ther sect of Catholicism. They have their patriarch.

Rome Pope Francis 2013
Alexandria of the Copts Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak 2013
Antioch of the Syriacs or Syrians Patriarch Mar Ignatius Joseph III Yonan 2009
Antioch of the Maronites Patriarch Bechara Boutros Cardinal al-Rahi 2011
Antioch, Alexandria & Jerusalem of the Greek Melkites Patriarch Youssef Absi 2017
Babylon of the Chaldeans Catholicos-Patriarch Louis Raphaël I Sako 2013
Cilicia of the Armenians Catholicos-Patriarch Krikor Bedros XX Gabroyan 2015
Kiev-Galicia Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk 2011
Ernakulam-Angamaly Major Archbishop Mar George Alencherry 2011
Trivandrum Major Archbishop-Catholicos Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis 2007
Făgăraş and Alba Iulia Major Archbishop Lucian Cardinal Mureșan 2005[1]

And all them patriarchs do not bow down and recognize the Pope as their head!

I agree, with your anal nuancing You should be mebarrassed. Pretending you know how all the easter n chruches bow the knee to Rome when they don't.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thus guy's (@Ronald Nolette) ignorance of ALL things Catholic is laughable - if not so tragic.
It's like trying to play tennis with a blind man - only the blind man has a leg up on this guy . . .

Well I know the difference between union and who is the chief authority of the eastern vs. Roman church. They split about a millenia ago. In case you didn't look that up!

And though they have a strong unity and a full communion- they still do not recognize the pope as "vicarius Filius Dei" Francis is not the recognized Pontiff of the eastern churches. It is sad you can't see the forest for teh trees and can't see the trees for the forest! Bring tweezers, you are going to get a lot of splinters! ;)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because I don't allow you to lie about it?
It's a LOT of fun spreading lies - but it's not ANY fun at all getting caught.

If you were expecting to bully another weak or poorly-catechized Catholic and get away with it - you came to the WRONG guy.
Unfortunately you DO represent most anti-Catholics out there . . .

NOw you hurt my feelings! I thought I represented the most virulent anticatholics! :confused:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did, now do yours.

Matt. 12:
46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.

47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Who are Jesus brethren in verse 46 in light of his declaration in 49&50. Using your faulty exegesis, we can say Mary is not Jesus MOther!

Mark 6:3
King James Version

3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

YOu are afflicted with not seeing the trees for the forest. Maybe you never learned that context matters in understanding a word that has more than just one explicit meaning.

Mark 6:3 can only be read on e way. James ,Joses, Simon and Judah are Jesus' brothers by birth and that Jesus had at least 2 sisters!
They were specifically called "his" brothers and sisters.

Now look at Acts 1:15

ASV
And in these days Peter stood up in the midst of the brethren, and said (and there was a multitude of persons gathered together, about a hundred and twenty),

Here it is simply the brethren- the generic meaning kindred in spirit.

but let us look at the word and its various uses: "adelphos"

1. a brother, whether born of the same two parents or only of the same father or mother

2. having the same national ancestor, belonging to the same people, or countryman

3. any fellow or man

4. a fellow believer, united to another by the bond of affection

5. an associate in employment or office

6. brethren in Christ
    1. his brothers by blood

2. all men

3. apostles

4. Christians, as those who are exalted to the same heavenly place
  7. Now it can't be #2 because he was surrounded by Jews and disciples.
  8. nor #3 why would these Jews be singled out and sisters mentioned inlight there were men and women in the crowd.
  9. nor would it simply mean #4 for Jesus was surrounded by others bonded by affection
  10. #6 --no! I don't think I need to explain this to you.
  11. #6 why Just these four men? Christianity hadn't been born yet Nor were they the only four who were like minded in the crowd? Also these four and his two or more sisters may not have even been in the corwd. The phrase the pharisees used most likely meant that HIs four brothers were still in Nazareth living there with Mary.
No, the only context that makes any sense in light of the event it is spoken in is that these were Jesus brethren

also in light of Jewish culture and tradition, having large families was a sign of honor and prestige! Also given the fact that Jospeh and Mary started "knowing " each other after Jesus was born- they would have had kids!

YOu should do your homework-- I did mine!
You left out a cople of uses for the word "Adelphos".
It is ALSO used for cousin, unvle, half brother, step brother, etc.

The people spoken of in Matt. 12 and Mark 3 were MORE than likely cousins.
HOW do we know this? Because - as I have ALREADY shown you - James and Joses are shown to be the sons of Mary's "adelphe" (John 19:25), who was the wife of Clopas, also called, Alphaeus.

So, NO - you didn't do your homework. You simply regurgitated the SAME ignorant manure as before.
Do your homework before responding . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I know the difference between union and who is the chief authority of the eastern vs. Roman church. They split about a millenia ago. In case you didn't look that up!
FULL SOMMUNION means that they are CATHOLIC.
We are NOT in full communion with the Orthodox, Einstein.
And though they have a strong unity and a full communion- they still do not recognize the pope as "vicarius Filius Dei" Francis is not the recognized Pontiff of the eastern churches. It is sad you can't see the forest for teh trees and can't see the trees for the forest! Bring tweezers, you are going to get a lot of splinters! ;)
ONE more time, my extremely dense friend:
NOBODY recognizes the Pope as "vicarius Filius Dei" .
This false title is from a forged document, the Donation of Constantine.

I'm at the point now where I just feel sorry for you.
It's no fun winning arguments against an UNARMED person . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet all the eatern churches though in communion with your poppa, do not recognize him as the head of ther sect of Catholicism. They have their patriarch.

Rome Pope Francis 2013
Antioch, Alexandria & Jerusalem of the Greek Melkites Patriarch Youssef Absi 2017

I agree, with your anal nuancing You should be mebarrassed. Pretending you know how all the easter n chruches bow the knee to Rome when they don't.
MAN, you're ignorant.
Or is it just an act??

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Rome Pope Francis 2013

I looked up the very first link you gave and it says:

The Coptic Catholic Patriarchate of Alexandria is the Patriarchal and only Metropolitan see of the head of the Eastern sui iuris Coptic Catholic Church, a particular Church in the Catholic Church in full communion with the Holy See,……
……..The patriarchal see as such ranks third among all Catholic (arch)bishoprics of the world (only after the Apostolic See of Rome and the Catholic Patriarch of Constantinople), by the virtue of Canon Law (CCEO 58, 59.2)

And this from the Second Vatican Council

DECREE ON THE CATHOLIC CHURCHES
OF THE EASTERN RITE
ORIENTALIUM ECCLESIARUM
SOLEMNLY PROMULGATED BY HIS HOLINESS
POPE PAUL VI
ON NOVEMBER 21, 1964

2. The Holy Catholic Church, which is the Mystical Body of Christ, is made up of the faithful who are organically united in the Holy Spirit by the same faith, the same sacraments and the same government and who, combining together into various groups which are held together by a hierarchy, form separate Churches or Rites. Between these there exists an admirable bond of union, such that the variety within the Church in no way harms its unity; rather it manifests it, for it is the mind of the Catholic Church that each individual Church or Rite should retain its traditions whole and entire and likewise that it should adapt its way of life to the different needs of time and place.(2)

3. These individual Churches, whether of the East or the West, although they differ somewhat among themselves in rite (to use the current phrase), that is, in liturgy, ecclesiastical discipline, and spiritual heritage, are, nevertheless, each as much as the others, entrusted to the pastoral government of the Roman Pontiff, the divinely appointed successor of St. Peter in primacy over the universal Church. They are consequently of equal dignity, so that none of them is superior to the others as regards rite and they enjoy the same rights and are under the same obligations, also in respect of preaching the Gospel to the whole world (cf. Mark 16, 15) under the guidance of the Roman Pontiff.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worth Repeating Here = Matthew 12: 46-50

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you."
He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Mary had children with her betrothed husband Joseph - They never divorced and God did not take her away from Joseph.