Blood does not save, love does.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
What is salvation, do you think?
We are saved....but what are we saved from?

Fools that we are, we have sold ourselves to sin, and to the death that results from sin.
But we have been redeemed...that is we have been bought with a price.
God loves us so much that He paid the price of our redemption....he bought us back.

Now, I would agree with you that it is the great love of God, manifested in Jesus Christ, that saves us from the curse of sin and death. Love, and not blood, as you say, is the "magic ingredient". Love that is so intense...so beautiful...that God was willing to shed His Own blood on the cross...to die for our sins.

There is love in every drop of precious blood shed for us at Calvary.
It is always good to check to see if the poster of that post you are addressing, especially one from Aug. 2014, is still with us. In this case he hasn't been since this post.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
StanJ said:
It is always good to check to see if the poster of that post you are addressing, especially one from Aug. 2014, is still with us. In this case he hasn't been since this post.
Ahhh, well....all the Christmas company is gone, and I'm a bit bored...

The big New Years Eve party is happening at my daughter's house...I'll go over for a drink of New Year's cheer...(egg nog with a hint of brandy, more than likely), but I expect I'll be at home in my bed by midnight.

LOL, so your point is well-taken, Stan. I guess I'll go and watch Miracle on 34th Street one more time....*yawn*...

Guess I'll go and watch The Christmas Carol one more time.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
'Love' in and of itself doesn't save anyone. "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission" (Hebrews 9:22). However, without love, no blood would have been shed.. So imo, the 2 go hand-in-hand, a sacrifice is necessary, prompted by love. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Ahhh, well....all the Christmas company is gone, and I'm a bit bored...

The big New Years Eve party is happening at my daughter's house...I'll go over for a drink of New Year's cheer...(egg nog with a hint of brandy, more than likely), but I expect I'll be at home in my bed by midnight.

LOL, so your point is well-taken, Stan. I guess I'll go and watch Miracle on 34th Street one more time....*yawn*...

Guess I'll go and watch The Christmas Carol one more time.
Had egg nog for breakfast today....mmmmm good.

Not into New Years parties anymore. My daughter is having one but I'm not invited. :)

I'm not that desperate to watch those old Christmas movies. I'd rather watch my NatGeo or Love Nature, or Discovery Velocity channels.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Dan57 said:
'Love' in and of itself doesn't save anyone. "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission" (Hebrews 9:22). However, without love, no blood would have been shed.. So imo, the 2 go hand-in-hand, a sacrifice is necessary, prompted by love. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).
AMEN, Dan.
Maybe the guy who wrote the OP isn't here any more....
But this is still a valid subject.

Phantasman

Dec 14, 2015
US
StanJ said:
No, he himself, but sadly you have made him some kind of mentor. If he is then indeed YOU are a false teacher.
Marcion wasn't a Gnostic. I see you are quick to classify people and start the name calling. But no bother, I find I get that from the organized Orthodox community.

Mark 9
38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

Falling into the same trap. My core is my love for Jesus Christ and God the Father. Because I don't follow you or your religion doesn't make me a false teacher. But believe as you will, and damn me before your friends.

Matthew 15
Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Jesus sent 50 other than his 11 disciples.I see the core of Christ in many religions. And do not judge JWs, LDS or any Christian based theology.

One question: Are you every wrong?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Phantasman said:
Marcion wasn't a Gnostic. I see you are quick to classify people and start the name calling. But no bother, I find I get that from the organized Orthodox community.

Mark 9
38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

Falling into the same trap. My core is my love for Jesus Christ and God the Father. Because I don't follow you or your religion doesn't make me a false teacher. But believe as you will, and damn me before your friends.

Matthew 15
Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Jesus sent 50 other than his 11 disciples.I see the core of Christ in many religions. And do not judge JWs, LDS or any Christian based theology.

One question: Are you every wrong?
I call them as I see them, and he is almost unanimously labelled as a heretic, so there is obviously no reason to discuss him with someone who goes against most of historical fact.

I'm not very wrong and yes I am wrong once in a while, but NOT here.

Phantasman

Dec 14, 2015
US
Dan57 said:
Jesus knew the power of blood. He also knew the power of spirit (it's control over flesh and blood as he healed cripples, raised dead). The greatest sacrifice Jesus made wwas to leave the Father (perfect) and walk through imperfection). He knew where death led. And he taught us that through death we get life. Yet people fear death. I used to when I was an Orthodox Nazarene. Today, I look forward to death. For that is where life is.

Jesus said "Truly I say to you, none will be saved unless they believe in my cross. But those who have believed in my cross, theirs is the Kingdom of God. Therefore, become seekers for death, just as the dead who seek for life, for that which they seek is revealed to them. And what is there to concern them? When you turn yourselves towards death, it will make known to you election. In truth I say to you, none of those who are afraid of death will be saved. For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who have put themselves to death. Become better than I; make yourselves like the son of the Holy Spirit."- Apocryphon of James

When you lay down your life, you value love over life. Not a love of life.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Phantasman said:
Jesus knew the power of blood. He also knew the power of spirit (it's control over flesh and blood as he healed cripples, raised dead). The greatest sacrifice Jesus made wwas to leave the Father (perfect) and walk through imperfection). He knew where death led. And he taught us that through death we get life. Yet people fear death. I used to when I was an Orthodox Nazarene. Today, I look forward to death. For that is where life is.

Jesus said "Truly I say to you, none will be saved unless they believe in my cross. But those who have believed in my cross, theirs is the Kingdom of God. Therefore, become seekers for death, just as the dead who seek for life, for that which they seek is revealed to them. And what is there to concern them? When you turn yourselves towards death, it will make known to you election. In truth I say to you, none of those who are afraid of death will be saved. For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who have put themselves to death. Become better than I; make yourselves like the son of the Holy Spirit."- Apocryphon of James

When you lay down your life, you value love over life. Not a love of life.
I'm not really sure what you are, but as you quote pseudo writings, I assume you're a gnostic.

Phantasman

Dec 14, 2015
US
StanJ said:
I call them as I see them, and he is almost unanimously labelled as a heretic, so there is obviously no reason to discuss him with someone who goes against most of historical fact.

I'm not very wrong and yes I am wrong once in a while, but NOT here.
I'll admit I am a heretic. Just a word. Jesus was called the equivalent by the Jews, even the devil. They were ignorant also.

Paul said:Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Enjoy your boastful pride. I know you now.

Phantasman

Dec 14, 2015
US
StanJ said:
I'm not really sure what you are, but as you quote pseudo writings, I assume you're a gnostic.
I am a Christian. If gnosis means knowledge, then I seek knowledge. I read everything, Gnostic, Early Church Fathers, Apocryphal. Not all books agree with others, and I see a definite division. So I study the division and see how it holds up to the Gospels where Christ taught, MMLJ and Thomas. Are the books spiritual.....or physical or a combination. The Jews were very physical. The non Canon books were very spiritual. The 4 Gospels are a combination. Thomas is more spiritual. I seek spiritual knowledge With over 2000 Christian religions, does that make one right and 1999 wrong? The spiritual experience is a personal one shared with others. I do not believe in a monarchy, like most Orthodox religions are.

The Catholics had control over content. William Tyndale translated the Vulgate and found:

. The hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church did not approve of some of the words and phrases introduced by Tyndale, such as "overseer", where it would have been understood as "bishop", "elder" for "priest", and "love" rather than "charity". Tyndale, citing Erasmus, contended that the Greek New Testament did not support the traditional Roman Catholic readings. More controversially, Tyndale translated the Greek "ekklesia", (literally "called out ones"[45]) as "congregation" rather than "church".[46] It has been asserted this translation choice "was a direct threat to the Church's ancient—but so Tyndale here made clear, non-scriptural—claim to be the body of Christ on earth. To change these words was to strip the Church hierarchy of its pretensions to be Christ's terrestrial representative, and to award this honour to individual worshippers who made up each congregation." -WIKI

When John Wycliffe translated the Bible to English, the RCC had him killed and burned. He was classified as a Heretic, as was Tyndale. When I see the differences between the Codex Vaticanus and the Codex Sinaiticus, it tells me that the Catholics, with the power of Rome, created a theocracy different from Jesus teachings. Words added or taken away, books destroyed and lied about, and through their fruits, the Catholics performed some very unChristian acts throughout the ages. Through the Christian writings before the Nicene Creed, Christianity was a whole different theology.

It's a picture that become clearer, spiritually and knowledge wise, the more you learn of it.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ,

I think this is a good example of when to shake the dust off your shoes and stop casting pearls. :popcorn:

Phantasman

Dec 14, 2015
US
I agree. Dust shaken.

When I saw Unorthodox Doctrine, I thought is was a discussion area. But it is just an Orthodox trap to spout off at different Christian theologists who aren't "Orthodox".

A lie, to say the least.

It just confirms what I have learned through the years.

Like others before me, I'm gone.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Phantasman said:
I'll admit I am a heretic. Just a word. Jesus was called the equivalent by the Jews, even the devil. They were ignorant also.

Paul said:Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Enjoy your boastful pride. I know you now.
It is VERY apparent you don't know much of church history OR fact. See ya.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
romans7 said:
Don't want to upset anyone, but if you follow things through, this has to be the conclusion. All things are done in order to bring people to "participation in the divine nature". The divine nature is LOVE. God is LOVE. Anything that preceeds this "result" is only a "tool" to enable this result. That one of (the main "tool") the "tools" is the very nature of "suffering God" as exhibited in the body of Christ is obvious, along with the other things that are said to "save" - faith, hope etc ("we are saved by hope"). To claim that the blood of Christ was "special" is wrong other than it may have been genetically different. The blood denotes the suffering and death of the son, and by logical extension, the effect on the Father. What it all means is that God himself, through his son, has demonstrated, revealed, his very nature as one who has forgiven and forgives. The cross was his forgiveness to the world, just as it was his love to the world. Christ on the cross may also be said to have wresled, encountered, resisted, opposed, fought and destroyed in his flesh (body) sins attempts to conquer his righteousness, through the whole gambit of sinful possibilities. He conquered, and so the legal aspects of the law of sin and death were met. Death could not hold him, his righteousness survived.

If people start to use scriptures to object to this position, they must realise that this position has been derived from those very scriptures, and in any case I would probably not be able to defend against some scripture being used literally. Also I have no desire to argue the point, but am willing to look at what may be presented. Although I have padded this out, the main issue is obviously that Christ's blood should not be looked to as the magic ingredient of salvation, just as other things may also be held high in this regard, they are not the answer. It is man answering and responding to the love of God that brings salvation through the means that Christ is seen to have provided.
You might consider taking a course in logic. The statement "God is love" is not mutually exclusive to the statement "God is Holy" (also found in scripture) or to the statement "God is righteous."

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
Romans 5:8-9
We're supposed to be Christians here, not Buddhists, so we should ascribe to God all those character qualities that scripture ascribes to Him. The statement that "God is love" isn't a result though participation in the divine nature might be called one and the scripture tells us that the cross is the manifestation of God's love toward us. In other words the shedding of His own blood in propitiation of our sin is the expression of God's love toward His creation, but love doesn't save anything because love can be rejected and usually is.
"And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."
John 3:19​
Christ tells us that men are condemned by their love, not saved by it, but I'll help you out with a more sound proposition. Love doesn't save us and blood doesn't save us, God saves us. He demonstrated His love in saving us and through the shedding of His own blood in the person of His Son, but salvation is His alone and we don't define Him, He defines us. In chapter 13 of 1st Corinthians the Apostle defines love and identifies it as the greatest of the gifts that God gives us in Christ (in comparison to faith and hope) but this is because love will continue into eternity while faith and hope will become meaningless when we see Him face to face and know Him as we are known by Him.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It is very evident from Heb 9, that Jesus' blood was the ONLY thing that fulfilled God's requirement to obtain true forgiveness.
Heb 9:22 makes it clear that ONLY blood atones for sin, and Jesus' blood was the perfect atonement for ALL sin, as v28 states.

Of course God loves us, which is clear from John 3:16, but His only begotten son's BLOOD is what satisfies His own decree about sin.

Phantasman

Dec 14, 2015
US
StanJ said:
It is VERY apparent you don't know much of church history OR fact. See ya
Wow. Nothing happening here for months. Did you chase 'em all away? lol

In response, I just no longer subscribe to Eusebius's rewriting of the History of the Church (which is the basis of the Catholic/Protestant doctrine).

One can view the term "sheep" differently. Christs sheep hear him (as he says), or you can listen to the guy up front.

Well, you tried. How does it feel to be wrong for the first time? lol.

May stop in in another three months. Unless I see my account closed. Kind of like the Constantine Catholics. Burn those books.