British TV shows

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone else enjoy British mysteries on TV?

I especially like Father Brown, the crime solving priest. Lovely scenery of a English village and the mystery is light. Based on novels written by a pastor.

Usually watch Death in Paradise, love the Caribbean scenery. Again it's a light mystery. A British detective transferred to the Caribbean island to head up the police station. They keep changing the head detective and some officers. Maybe they don't want to work in the Caribbean for long?

Some years back would watch Vera (lady detective) and Inspector Morse (Oxford scenery).

I used to enjoy Father Mateo and Inspector Brunelli. Both were filmed in Italy. Father Mateo was filmed in a village. Inspector Brunelli was filmed in Venice, Italy. They were light mysteries.

All of the above are or were seen on PBS.

Reactions: Nancy and Josho

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Love them , but then I am British xx
Have you watched ‘ Endeavour ‘ - This series follows the younger inspector morse.
‘ Shetland ‘ is Also very good

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love them , but then I am British xx
Have you watched ‘ Endeavour ‘ - This series follows the younger inspector morse.
‘ Shetland ‘ is Also very good
Just watched Endeavor a couple of times. For some reason, I prefer Inspector Morse with the older actor.

Have seen some episodes of Shetland.

Reactions: Pearl and Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just watched Endeavor a couple of times. For some reason, I prefer Inspector Morse with the older actor.

Have seen some episodes of Shetland.
I like the Shetland series with Inspector Jimmy Perez - by the same author as Vera.

Reactions: Debp and Helen

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Does anyone else enjoy British mysteries on TV?

I especially like Father Brown, the crime solving priest. Lovely scenery of a English village and the mystery is light. Based on novels written by a pastor.

Usually watch Death in Paradise, love the Caribbean scenery. Again it's a light mystery. A British detective transferred to the Caribbean island to head up the police station. They keep changing the head detective and some officers. Maybe they don't want to work in the Caribbean for long?

Some years back would watch Vera (lady detective) and Inspector Morse (Oxford scenery).

I used to enjoy Father Mateo and Inspector Brunelli. Both were filmed in Italy. Father Mateo was filmed in a village. Inspector Brunelli was filmed in Venice, Italy. They were light mysteries.

All of the above are or were seen on PBS.
The British definitely have put out a lot of good mystery series, haven't gotten into Vera though, and haven't heard of Father Mateo or Inspector Brunelli, but if you like Father Brown there is another one I reckon you would like called Sister Boniface, she is a nun that helps solve crimes. I also love Death in Paradise, there's a good bit of humour in that show, gotta like some of the clumsy detectives they choose.

That actually brings me back to the topic of dream vacations, I would love to go visit Guadaloupe some day where Death in Paradise is filmed, now that looks like such a nice island.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has gotten to the point where I watch NO American made films anymore. It's always foreign movies I watch now.
Indian, Australian, Chinese, Korean, English, of course! Clever they are!
The comedy is awesome too, not filthy like in America :(
The movies here are all the same thing over and over-violence, irreverent, and pretty much always sex, sex, sex! Filthy language...hard to find a decent one.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One of our faves is Midsomer Murders …love his family life ..prefers John Nettles ..but the newer ones are good too…
Also Foyles War …

we never watch anything but the good British shows …if they are ‘off’ I dump them…so , we have the hall closet full from top to bottom of good fun , mystery , shows We’ve just got season 10 of Vera. ..can’t wait to watch it…we re-watch them all. DCI Banks , and also some good Australian mystery shows …excellent .
And when we just want a - “good old England fix “, we then re-watch Fools and Horses,
just for the fun of it …it makes us feel young again.

( and the Vicar of Dibley …though its a bit naughty ,..wish it wasn’t , but funny when needed )

Reactions: Nancy and Rita

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The British definitely have put out a lot of good mystery series, haven't gotten into Vera though, and haven't heard of Father Mateo or Inspector Brunelli, but if you like Father Brown there is another one I reckon you would like called Sister Boniface, she is a nun that helps solve crimes. I also love Death in Paradise, there's a good bit of humour in that show, gotta like some of the clumsy detectives they choose.

That actually brings me back to the topic of dream vacations, I would love to go visit Guadaloupe some day where Death in Paradise is filmed, now that looks like such a nice island.
I forgot about Sister Boniface! Did see a few episodes of her. But really love Father Brown.

Father Mateo and Inspector Brunelli were on PBS a good many years ago (Italian mysteries). They also had light humor in them. I wish they would put them back on TV.

Speaking of mysteries with humor, does anyone like Monk? American made. The private detective with many quirks. I am watching him right now. Glad they brought the reruns back.

Reactions: Josho

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I like ‘ Monk ‘ but I haven’t seen that on any of the streams that I have for some time.
There is a series called ‘ Professor T ‘ he has similar issues to Monk. It’s worth watching x
Also ’ Inspector George Gently ‘ is another good one. This is set in the 1960’s

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I like ‘ Monk ‘ but I haven’t seen that on any of the streams that I have for some time.
There is a series called ‘ Professor T ‘ he has similar issues to Monk. It’s worth watching x
Also ’ Inspector George Gently ‘ is another good one. This is set in the 1960’s

I did watch several of Professor T. Then it seemed later on there was another Professor T....a different actor? I liked the first one better.

Inspector George Gently sounds familiar.

In the US, Monk is currently on Cozi TV which shows all older TV shows.