Calvinism is a Cult

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit you must have first. Just like you must have an apple tree before you can pick an apple from it.

It is clear from Scripture that the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit is given as a gift to believers. If we heed the Call (coming from God the Father) and respond in faith and repentance (through the convicting power of the His Holy Spirit ON us), then we will experience the new birth from above and be sealed and filled with the Holy Spirit. Then, why do we sin? Because it is our sin nature to hold back some part of ourselves from God. We run and hide from Him--just as have the generations since the Fall. We have a powerful enemy who prowls around seeking to devour us and even when he can't because we are sealed against him, he seeks to kill, persecute and chain us--just as he has always done with the Christian martyrs down through the centuries.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have access by faith into this grace wherein I stand. That is what the holy scriptures say.

Yes, and you are SAVED by Grace, through faith, not faith through grace. In order to be saved through something, that something[in this case, grace] has to be there first.

Scriptures don't contradict themselves; men contradict Scriptures.

D

Dave L

It is clear from Scripture that the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit is given as a gift to believers. If we heed the Call (coming from God the Father) and respond in faith and repentance (through the convicting power of the His Holy Spirit ON us), then we will experience the new birth from above and be sealed and filled with the Holy Spirit. Then, why do we sin? Because it is our sin nature to hold back some part of ourselves from God. We run and hide from Him--just as have the generations since the Fall. We have a powerful enemy who prowls around seeking to devour us and even when he can't because we are sealed against him, he seeks to kill, persecute and chain us--just as he has always done with the Christian martyrs down through the centuries.
This doesn't add up. You are saying the Holy Spirit is a fruit of the flesh setting its mind to believe.

Also;
“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” (1 Corinthians 2:14) (KJV 1900)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So she could have overpowered Christ's command? She had more power than Christ?
Are you contending for the idea that she didn't sin again after Christ commanded her to sin no more?

Christ's command empowers; but Jesus is a gentleman; He does not force anyone to obey Him (see Psalms 110:3).

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So YOU are the catalyst, not God. What you are saying is "Apart from me choosing first, God can do nothing in my life"

Completely the opposite of what the Scriptures say.
Yep, their gospel doesn't line up with THE Gospel.

1 Peter 1:3 should read, according to them "Blessed be myself for causing myself to be born again by choosing myself into heaven, and for coming to Jesus when he said I'm not able. I DID IT!!!!"

Reactions: Mjh29 and Dave L

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and you are SAVED by Grace, through faith, not faith through grace. In order to be saved through something, that something[in this case, grace] has to be there first.

Scriptures don't contradict themselves; men contradict Scriptures.
You are not reading the scriptures correctly. We are saved by grace through faith.

You are right however, in saying that in order to be saved through something, that something (in this case, faith) must be there first.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, because she could merely walk away--just as the rich young ruler did.
Not when she's obviously elect. The RYR could have also been elect, resisting for a time, yet God will save all that he has chosen to save, and no more; John 6:37. Of course, you can tear these things out of your Bible (election/predestination.) You'd feel more comfy that way and it wouldn't interfere with your gospel.

Reactions: Dave L

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
You should ask yourself the question, whether any of your good deeds have any eternal value.
I don't know if they do. But that does not stop me from helping others in need. I bet you would still do your good works if you believed god did not exist. If you are only doing a good deed for an eternal reward then that is selfish and condemned by the bible you believe.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This doesn't add up. You are saying the Holy Spirit is a fruit of the flesh setting its mind to believe.

Also;
“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” (1 Corinthians 2:14) (KJV 1900)

No--I am NOT saying that. We don't "set our minds to believe"--we just DO believe. We respond to the Call of God the Father--no one comes without that Call. (1 Cor. 1:24; 1 Peter 2:9; 2 Thes. 2:14; Proverbs 1:24; Romans 1:6; John 6:44). In the John 6:44 passage, the word that Jesus chose is "draw" but it seems to be the same idea as the other passages which speak of God the Father "calling" us. Jesus Himself spoke of many being called but few chosen. (Matthew 22:14) I believe that was what Peter was speaking of when he said that we should "make our calling and our election sure." (2 Peter 1:10) "Election" and "choosing" are essentially the same thing when it comes to salvation. Speaking of "God's elect"people is equivalent to speaking of "God's Chosen"people. God Called and Chose a people for Himself from among the Gentiles (the vast majority of the Church is Gentile) and He will, in the End, redeem His original "Chosen People" Israel. Jesus Himself gave the Call to the Rich Young Ruler, but we are led to understand that the young man did not heed the Call and walked away.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know if they do. But that does not stop me from helping others in need. I bet you would still do your good works if you believed god did not exist. If you are only doing a good deed for an eternal reward then that is selfish and condemned by the bible you believe.
If there is no God, then nothing is of eternal value. What then is the purpose for doing "good" deeds?

Without God in the equation, "good" and "evil" are subjective truths...

They may not even have any bearing on reality.

If I am descended from primordial slime, then morality is just a concoction of certain people's imaginations...

Why then should we even be moral?

As for your statements, I do understand that I have an eternal reward for some good things that I do. But I do them not for the reward, but for the value...

If I am going to do a good deed, I want it to be of lasting value, hopefully of everlasting value.

If the value of a thing is only temporal, then to me it appears to be meaningless.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Actually, there are no heavenly rewards for good works--I believe the rewards will be given when the Church comes down to earth after the Final Judgment. At the Judgment Seat of Christ, there will be commendations and some criticisms--just as Jesus gave to the Seven Churches of Revelation. The heavenly rewards (that is, The Five Crowns) are handed out to those who are full of faith til the end of their lives. I can give you the references if you like. Every one of them is for the victory of faith in our lives. Those victories begin with the victory over the "world, the flesh and the devil" that faith brings to us.

Last edited:

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Neither. The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. This is the ultimate purpose of doing good; serving God.
My ultimate purpose for doing good is to help the other person. I bet that is your purpose as well.

You said "Who cares if some of my motivation is self serving?"
This is like putting a glass of water with a drop of poison and a glass full of poison in front of you. Would you take the one with only a drop, and say "Eh, it's not going to do anything; it's still water." Of course not. The water has become poison, because the drop of poison spoils the entire glass of water. It is the same with self-serving. A drop of self serving poisons the entire good deed, because it no longer is done for the right reason or right goal.
A non believer can do good without it being self serving. What is the difference anyway? If I give a homeless man some clothes and a believer gives a homeless man some clothes how is mine poisonous and yours not? If it is just that you give god the credit then ok, but the end result is the same for the homeless person which should be the point.

I do not try to please God; I know I cannot. However, I do good for His Glory, and can only ever do good by His power.
Try doing good to help others as the primary reason. You can do good on your own. You are not a horrible person and can do nothing right on our own as the bible describes you.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
If there is no God, then nothing is of eternal value. What then is the purpose for doing "good" deeds?
To help others. You and I have empathy and can use that to help others in need. If someone is hungry I can feed them, why does it need to have eternal value?

Without God in the equation, "good" and "evil" are subjective truths...
Why does this matter when helping someone in need?

They may not even have any bearing on reality.

If I am descended from primordial slime, then morality is just a concoction of certain people's imaginations...

Why then should we even be moral?
If you knew god did not exist would you still do good? I bet you would. I bet you would still have morals.

As for your statements, I do understand that I have an eternal reward for some good things that I do. But I do them not for the reward, but for the value...

If I am going to do a good deed, I want it to be of lasting value, hopefully of everlasting value.

If the value of a thing is only temporal, then to me it appears to be meaningless.
It is not meaningless to the person being helped. So if god was not real, you would not help others? I bet you would, I think religion has affected your thinking on this.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Actually, there are no heavenly rewards for good works--there will be commendations and some criticisms--just as Jesus gave to the Seven Churches of Revelation. The heavenly rewards (that is, The Five Crowns) are handed out to those who are full of faith til the end of their lives. I can give you the references if you like. Every one of them is for the victory of faith in our lives. Those victories begin with the victory over the "world, the flesh and the devil" that faith brings to us.
Ok, this does not affect me whatsoever. I will still care for others either way.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My ultimate purpose for doing good is to help the other person. I bet that is your purpose as well.

A non believer can do good without it being self serving. What is the difference anyway? If I give a homeless man some clothes and a believer gives a homeless man some clothes how is mine poisonous and yours not? If it is just that you give god the credit then ok, but the end result is the same for the homeless person which should be the point.

Try doing good to help others as the primary reason. You can do good on your own. You are not a horrible person and can do nothing right on our own as the bible describes you.

I told you in a previous post why the end result is NOT the same for the person helped.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I told you in a previous post why the end result is NOT the same for the person helped.
Sure, but you have insufficient evidence that it is true. From my perspective the homeless person has new clothes either way. That is the good deed. And it is OK to feel good that you helped someone.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok, this does not affect me whatsoever. I will still care for others either way.

Well, good for you. It might help you at the Final Judgment. Jesus gave us a way to avoid that judgment--through faith in Him. The Calvinists here don't believe this, but I believe that if you ask God to forgive you and make you His son, He will. God has obviously called you (otherwise, why are you on this website?) now it is up to you to "make your calling and election sure". So which will it be, Vince? Will you heed the call and "draw close to God" or will you walk away like the Rich Young Ruler?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually, there are no heavenly rewards for good works...
That is INCORRECT. Please note carefully:
Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. (1 Cor 3:13,14)

Crowns are additional rewards for specific reasons. But the above is for good works (or no rewards for no good works, or good works done for the wrong reasons).