Calvinism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely not! I'm not opening that book again. He must have been possessed when he wrote it.
You are not giving any reason for your objection.
Quote anything he said which you feel is off.
I do not think you can do it.
I am certain it is you who will be found to be off
When compared to scripture.
To make such an accusation against this godly teacher is in fact exceedingly wicked unless you have biblical warrant

Reactions: SovereignGrace

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not giving any reason for your objection.
Quote anything he said which you feel is off.
I do not think you can do it.
I am certain it is you who will be found to be off
When compared to scripture.
To make such an accusation against this godly teacher is in fact exceedingly wicked unless you have biblical warrant

Read it for yourself. I'm not. Strange Fire. If you don't discern an evil spirit, maybe the spirit is as familiar with you then, as it is with him. But I hope not.

Reactions: Willie T

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read it for yourself. I'm not. Strange Fire. If you don't discern an evil spirit, maybe the spirit is as familiar with you then, as it is with him. But I hope not.
Oh that's what you mean!
John M offered correction on the charismatic error and rightly so.
You hold to that error so you view him as an enemy when he truth he is your best friend .

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh that's what you mean!
John M offered correction on the charismatic error and rightly so.
You hold to that error so you view him as an enemy when he truth he is your best friend .

Do you know anything about "covenant theology"? How much of the First Covenant ended during the time of the Covenant? Did the commandments? Did sacrifices? Did tithing? Did anything cease? That's what you and false teachers such as JM don't understand. There has not been a Third Covenant made. We are still in the middle of the New Covenant.

Jesus said,

Matthew 5:
17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Who fulfilled the First Covenant? And who started the New Covenant? And when will the New Covenant end and by Whom? The apostles, or the Author of the Covenant, same as the first.

Understand the answers to these questions and you'll see I'm not the one with the problem.

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have tons to say about this... I will keep it short:. John Calvin was not a Calvinist! I have read much of his work. He wrote 3 chapters on predestination out of hundreds of topics and literally thousands of chapters on other topics.

Today, Calvinism is viewed as, " it doesn't matter what you do if you are predestined". Yet, that is far from his stance. He was very Pius (wrongly so in some ways, and even hypocritical) and he's the one who coined the phrase that Grace is not a licence to sin. If he didn't originate it, he actually repeated it.

Bottom line:. I have read probably 1/10th of his work (he published alot!) And it's not what the modern Calvinistic viewpoints say.

Why, TULIP itself was never an acronym he used. He often contradicted himself, but with his style of analyzing verses one at a time without looking at the whole picture, it hapoens

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have tons to say about this... I will keep it short:. John Calvin was not a Calvinist! I have read much of his work. He wrote 3 chapters on predestination out of hundreds of topics and literally thousands of chapters on other topics.

Today, Calvinism is viewed as, " it doesn't matter what you do if you are predestined". Yet, that is far from his stance. He was very Pius (wrongly so in some ways, and even hypocritical) and he's the one who coined the phrase that Grace is not a licence to sin. If he didn't originate it, he actually repeated it.

Bottom line:. I have read probably 1/10th of his work (he published alot!) And it's not what the modern Calvinistic viewpoints say.

Why, TULIP itself was never an acronym he used. He often contradicted himself, but with his style of analyzing verses one at a time without looking at the whole picture, it hapoens

Why would he murder then if he didn't believe grace is a license to sin?

Reactions: FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More...

He was absolutely a brilliant scholar of the Bible, and could put many of to shame, even when we have Google and Bible software. He could hold his own without such in this forum without these tools against us who have them. Imagine where he would be if he had a computer!

Yet, he was a hypocrite. He was responsible for the death of a theologian who may have been wrong, but stood for truth and sought it. Just as he sought truth and risked his neck to find it.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would he murder then if he didn't believe grace is a license to sin?
C. Lady... I accidently pushed the "post" button before I was done! I discussed that in a separate post. Please have a look.

I admire him as a theologian, but despise his actions. But if we are to forgive sins...

Well, what do we do?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know anything about "covenant theology"? How much of the First Covenant ended during the time of the Covenant? Did the commandments? Did sacrifices? Did tithing? Did anything cease? That's what you and false teachers such as JM don't understand. There has not been a Third Covenant made. We are still in the middle of the New Covenant.

Jesus said,

Matthew 5:
17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Who fulfilled the First Covenant? And who started the New Covenant? And when will the New Covenant end and by Whom? The apostles, or the Author of the Covenant, same as the first.

Understand the answers to these questions and you'll see I'm not the one with the problem.
John M
Is a dispensationalist not a covenant theologian.
Try again

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
C. Lady... I accidently pushed the "post" button before I was done! I discussed that in a separate post. Please have a look.

I admire him as a theologian, but despise his actions. But if we are to forgive sins...

Well, what do we do?

We are to forgive others their trespasses, not willful sins. There is a big difference. And I certainly wouldn't follow someone like than, nor Luther who said "even if we commit murder and adultery 1000 times a day, no sin will separate us from God." Well, both murder and adultery are far from trespasses. They are willful sins: sins unto death. Trespasses are not sins unto death, and are unintentionally committed.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are to forgive others their trespasses, not willful sins. There is a big difference. And I certainly wouldn't follow someone like than, nor Luther who said "even if we commit murder and adultery 1000 times a day, no sin will separate us from God." Well, both murder and adultery are far from trespasses. They are willful sins: sins unto death. Trespasses are not sins unto death, and are unintentionally committed.
I disagree with you. I am simpathetic, but disagree.

Can you point to a sin that really was not "willful"? And if you are going to refer to Hebrews 10:26... Watch out! I will challenge that!

I will not condone what Calvin did... I wrestle with it to this day.... I don't know what to think of it. But with Luther, whom I also read exentesively, you must understand his style of writing.

He misused hyperpoles. He meant statements to be such, but they came off as crude and inhumane. He took dark humor too far. But this quote is technically correct.

Romans 5 says where sin abounds Grace does much more abound.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree with you. I am simpathetic, but disagree.

Can you point to a sin that really was not "willful"? And if you are going to refer to Hebrews 10:26... Watch out! I will challenge that!

I will not condone what Calvin did... I wrestle with it to this day.... I don't know what to think of it. But with Luther, whom I also read exentesively, you must understand his style of writing.

He misused hyperpoles. He meant statements to be such, but they came off as crude and inhumane. He took dark humor too far. But this quote is technically correct.

Romans 5 says where sin abounds Grace does much more abound.

That depends on what you believe the apostles mean by grace.

Leviticus 5:15 shows what a trespass is. Unwittingly, is unknowingly, so unintentional.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That depends on what you believe the apostles mean by grace.

Leviticus 5:15 shows what a trespass is. Unwittingly, is unknowingly, so unintentional.
Well, Lev 5:15 ain't got a darned thing to do with Grace. If so, then do what that verse says: sacrifice a ram.

If you do that, then do you really have Grace?

Grace put an end to that. Grace covers past, present and future sins.

Otherwise, we are no better off than Judiasm.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willful is not the same as ignorance, by the way...