Can prayers change prophecy?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow - so many voices of reason on this thread! I have gained a new respect for so many of you! Thank you for your contributions - I love to learn!

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
can prayers change prophesy? the answer is yes it can. ex. king hezekiah was to die was prophesied saying Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live. and yet because he prayed and repented God extended his life 15 years instead(2 kings 20:1-6).

yes prophesy can be changed but the thing is are we willing to do what is necessary to make the change? the new testament teaches that when we do something wrong we are to call upon the Lord and and ask forgiveness and our sins will be forgotten. we will be made righteous just like we never did anything wrong. the same goes for prophesy. our actions are what decides what course we follow and the course we follow will determine the outcome. when we sin and ask forgiveness we have just changed our outcome. God holds all sin against us but thanks to Jesus' sacrifice we are can be made clean. but if we don't repent of our sins we become as the world and will die and go to hell.

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
Thanks 7angels,

I recalled the incident (along with Nineveh, which repented and was spared), but didn't take the time (too busy/lazy) to fully cite the circumstance. :)

BibleScribe

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
Why would we want to change God's prophecy? His plan is perfect already! :)

Bless you all!

Are you sure God's plans are perfect? why did God regret creating humans? genesis 6 verses 6 says " And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart."

Good point, brother!

We can't change prophecy, what we can change is which side of prophecy we and others are on. :)

His plan is set, but he leaves men free to choose what part they will have in it.

Are you sure men are free to choose? what about Jonah and the big fish? Did he do his own will? What happened when he refused to go to nineveh?

I was basically referring to the op.

"Looking at the world today with wars, famine, diseases, sickness, poverty, hatred, jealousy...........All sighs of endtime as the bible says."

Nothing can stop these prophecies from being fulfilled.

Are you trying to say that the world itself is predestined?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Are you trying to say that the world itself is predestined?
Predestined or not, God has warned us of the future concerning the things you mentioned. Jesus taught of the end of the world and even gave us clear signs. He didn't say it MIGHT happen. Tis the season.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Predestined or not, God has warned us of the future concerning the things you mentioned. Jesus taught of the end of the world and even gave us clear signs. He didn't say it MIGHT happen. Tis the season.
Predestined ? only because of sin controlling us but if we turned from sin it would delay the event would it not Ducky.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Predestined ? only because of sin controlling us but if we turned from sin it would delay the event would it not Ducky.
I was simply using "predestined" because that is what was already used. I wasn't trying to make anything out of "predestined".

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MR ROSENBERGER says

most prophesy i would have to agree with you on but revelations is satan's destiny. he has already been judged and he is doing his best to take as many of us with him when he goes. but yes i believe most prophesy can change depending upon what we choose. the thing is when it is time for revelations to happen it will happen but we do not have to put up with it until absolutely necessary. too many people though become disheartened and say what will happen will happen it is inevitable. then they start to see things happen and say "oops we are one step closer to God coming back and i know it because look at all the bad that is happening". faith is a two way street. it can work for the good or bad. if you claim good things then good things will happen but if you claim bad things then they will come to pass too. that is why the bible tells us to speak life into our situations and to build each other up with our words and not say a bad thing to anyone. we make our own prophesy by how we act. prophesy tells us what will happen to us or others should we stay on the path we are going. prophesy is not good or bad but depends on the circumstances.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Are you sure God's plans are perfect? why did God regret creating humans? genesis 6 verses 6 says " And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart."

Yes, His plan is perfect. And the verse that you quote does not mean that God regretted that He had made man.....it means that the way human beings were living caused God to sorrow for there sake....He saw the needless pain and suffering that mankind was putting themselves through. God could simply destroy all human beings from the Earth if He wanted to.

Are you sure men are free to choose? what about Jonah and the big fish? Did he do his own will? What happened when he refused to go to nineveh?

Jonah was a prophet of God and it was his responsibility to carry God's word to whomever He desire it to get to the same what a police would have a responsibility to do his job for example. The fact is God loved the people of Nineveh more than respecting Jonah free will not to do what He told Jonah.......the people of Nineveh's best interest came first.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is an interesting question and I think it gets ignored by Christians all the time. For me, the problem involves the character of God - I believe God is all-loving, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient - which appears to come into conflict with this verse and many other verses in the OT. So, is the Bible wrong or are we interpreting it incorrectly? It is my understanding that we are incorrectly interpreting the Bible as written from God's point of view - when in fact, He uses humans to write His word for us, using man's perspective. The Bible is written 'looking up' not 'looking down' - so from Moses' point of view the revelation from God, he received about the Creation / Flood story / Abraham was all interpreted from his point of view. This changes thing drastically - when we read that 'God regretted creating man, it could have easily been Moses' interpretation of God simply being upset.

The crazy thing is, Jonah never chose to go, at all! He was mad after the successful trip! This story is about the Sovereignty of God, not the will of humanity.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
As far as the end of this world and end time events go, nothing can stop them. They are already in progress. When the Nation of Israel recovered Jerusalem it marked this generation as the generation that will witness THE END and His return. Tis the season.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
To everyone: predestine does not mean we don't have freedom of choice. It just means that God has predestined us to be in the very image of Jesus. We can chose to reject it if we want......God will not force anyone to be a part of His divine relationship.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To everyone: predestine does not mean we don't have freedom of choice. It just means that God has predestined us to be in the very image of Jesus. We can chose to reject it if we want......God will not force anyone to be a part of His divine relationship.

Absolutely. We were predestined to be in pre-Fall, post Christ, relationship with God.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Absolutely. We were predestined to be in pre-Fall, post Christ, relationship with God.

Better than that. When Adam and Eve was made God was not done with them……they needed something else. They needed something that was not created in order to make them fully like God. They needed the Holy Spirit, which they would have received had they eaten of the tree of life. They were not yet joined with God. But had they eaten of the tree of life they would have become immortal and possessing eternal life and would have become one with God. This the reason why God barred them from eating of the tree of life after they had sinned.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Better than that. When Adam and Eve was made God was not done with them……they needed something else. They needed something that was not created in order to make them fully like God. They needed the Holy Spirit, which they would have received had they eaten of the tree of life. They were not yet joined with God. But had they eaten of the tree of life they would have become immortal and possessing eternal life and would have become one with God. This the reason why God barred them from eating of the tree of life after they had sinned.

We disagree on this point. Good is never dependent on Evil. God would never forbid A&E to do something He secretly wanted them to do. This is the act of an abusive parent, not a loving Father. We were never supposed to Fall out of relationship with the Father - although Jesus and the Holy Spirit would have revealed themselves regardless, we would have never killed Jesus or blasphemed the HS without the Fall.

What you are describing is actually closer to Mormon theology than Christian theology.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
We disagree on this point. Good is never dependent on Evil.

I never said that.

God would never forbid A&E to do something He secretly wanted them to do.
This is the act of an abusive parent, not a loving Father. We were never supposed to Fall out of relationship with the Father - although Jesus and the Holy Spirit would have revealed themselves regardless, we would have never killed Jesus or blasphemed the HS without the Fall.

I did not said that either.

What you are describing is actually closer to Mormon theology than Christian theology.

I don't think you understand Mormon theology either or else you would not be confusing it with that what I am saying.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said that.

I did not said that either.

I don't think you understand Mormon theology either or else you would not be confusing it with that what I am saying.

1. You appear to be making the arrival of the Holy Spirit dependent on the Fall. This would require our disobedience (evil) to bring about the Holy Spirit (good).

2. Mormon theology requires our disobedience in order to bring about God's plan for humanity.

If I am misunderstanding you, please explain.