Can prayers change prophecy?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
1. You appear to be making the arrival of the Holy Spirit dependent on the Fall. This would require our disobedience (evil) to bring about the Holy Spirit (good).

You need to re-read what I said v-e-r-y carfully..........because you are incorrect.

2. Mormon theology requires our disobedience in order to bring about God's plan for humanity.

Then I am at a lost as to how you could confuse it with what I said.

If I am misunderstanding you, please explain.

All you need to do is go back and read what I said.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to re-read what I said v-e-r-y carfully..........because you are incorrect.

Then I am at a lost as to how you could confuse it with what I said.

All you need to do is go back and read what I said.

Yep - you are right! I went back and read your post and I understand what you are saying - I agree.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Here's something to add to the discussion, consider this scripture.
A Vision of Locusts
[/left]

1 The Sovereign Lord showed me a vision. I saw him preparing to send a vast swarm of locusts over the land. This was after the king’s share had been harvested from the fields and as the main crop was coming up.2 In my vision the locusts ate every green plant in sight. Then I said, “O Sovereign Lord, please forgive us or we will not survive, for Israel is so small.”3 So the Lord relented from this plan. “I will not do it,” he said.

A Vision of Fire
[/left]

4 Then the Sovereign Lord showed me another vision. I saw him preparing to punish his people with a great fire. The fire had burned up the depths of the sea and was devouring the entire land.5 Then I said, “O Sovereign Lord, please stop or we will not survive, for Israel is so small.”6 Then the Lord relented from this plan, too. “I will not do that either,” said the Sovereign Lord.

A Vision of a Plumb Line
[/left]

7 Then he showed me another vision. I saw the Lord standing beside a wall that had been built using a plumb line. He was using a plumb line to see if it was still straight.8 And the Lord said to me, “Amos, what do you see?” I answered, “A plumb line.” And the Lord replied, “I will test my people with this plumb line. I will no longer ignore all their sins.9 The pagan shrines of your ancestors will be ruined, and the temples of Israel will be destroyed; I will bring the dynasty of King Jeroboam to a sudden end.”
Amos 7:1-9 (NLT)

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
Predestined or not, God has warned us of the future concerning the things you mentioned. Jesus taught of the end of the world and even gave us clear signs. He didn't say it MIGHT happen. Tis the season.

Is there any difference between predestination and prophecy? Yeah, he has warned us, same thing happened in the garden of eden of which man failed! how long Is God going to keep warning man? He made us and He knows how weak humans are. Do you think God does not know those that will make it to heaven and those that will not? What ever will be will be if God wishes it.

I see humans as being experimented with by the Creator.

Don't you think the difference ( the way we think, understand, interprete.....) between me and you is the handwork of God?

Bro, I will say maybe misinterpretation of the bible is the case.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Is there any difference between predestination and prophecy? Yeah, he has warned us, same thing happened in the garden of eden of which man failed! how long Is God going to keep warning man? He made us and He knows how weak humans are. Do you think God does not know those that will make it to heaven and those that will not? What ever will be will be if God wishes it.
God knows EVERYTHING. Certainly He knew who would spend eternity in Hell before He created.
I see humans as being experimented with by the Creator.

Don't you think the difference ( the way we think, understand, interprete.....) between me and you is the handwork of God?
Certainly. He created each of us as it pleased Him.

Romans 9:21 (NKJV)
21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
God knows EVERYTHING. Certainly He knew who would spend eternity in Hell before He created.

Certainly. He created each of us as it pleased Him.

Romans 9:21 (NKJV)
21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

And with this you say GOD is loving? It would have been good if God made humans not to feel pains, shame, disgrace and so on.........

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
And with this you say GOD is loving? It would have been good if God made humans not to feel pains, shame, disgrace and so on.........
God allows evil, LOTS of evil. But He shows mercy to those who repent. LOTS of mercy.

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
God allows evil, LOTS of evil. But He shows mercy to those who repent. LOTS of mercy.

Would you say God is loving? How can a loving father allow what he hates? haha....Maybe God is having fun with evil.

Read what you just wrote with a plain view. What does God gain in allowing evil? I pity we humans.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Would you say God is loving? How can a loving father allow what he hates? haha....Maybe God is having fun with evil.

Read what you just wrote with a plain view. What does God gain in allowing evil? I pity we humans.
I pity those who don't repent.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A

It's not about what He gains....it’s about what man will learn from it. The vast majority of human beings will never see how loving God is until they first see how evil Satan is. All of Man's governments/system is of Satan......people still think that they can create a just society if they could only put their man or woman in office....the Nations of the world still thinks that their system is the best. When it blows up in their face they will see for themselves that God is right.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
28 Many of the people of Israel are now enemies of the Good News, and this benefits you Gentiles. Yet they are still the people he loves because he chose their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.29 For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn.30 Once, you Gentiles were rebels against God, but when the people of Israel rebelled against him, God was merciful to you instead.31 Now they are the rebels, and God’s mercy has come to you so that they, too, will share in God’s mercy.32 For God has imprisoned everyone in disobedience so he could have mercy on everyone.
Romans 11:28-32 (NLT)

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
28 Many of the people of Israel are now enemies of the Good News, and this benefits you Gentiles. Yet they are still the people he loves because he chose their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.29 For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn.30 Once, you Gentiles were rebels against God, but when the people of Israel rebelled against him, God was merciful to you instead.31 Now they are the rebels, and God’s mercy has come to you so that they, too, will share in God’s mercy.32 For God has imprisoned everyone in disobedience so he could have mercy on everyone.
Romans 11:28-32 (NLT)
Romans 11:32 (NKJV)
32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.

Obviously referring to those who repent.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Romans 11:32 (NKJV)
32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.

Obviously referring to those who repent.
Obviously you misunderstand what is right before you. Tis the same all that were disobedient and "might" is not in the original text it was added.

But I understand why you would think so, the mere thought that God would be merciful to everyone must be very upsetting to you, much like the attitude of the prodigal's brother eh Ducky. :lol:

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Obviously you misunderstand what is right before you. Tis the same all that were disobedient and "might" is not in the original text it was added.
May/might, same thing. It's in nearly every English Bible I checked.
But I understand why you would think so, the mere thought that God would be merciful to everyone must be very upsetting to you, much like the attitude of the prodigal's brother eh Ducky. :lol:
What bothers me is that you are promising what you can't deliver, and that you will be held accountable. Salvation is for those who believe and repent.

John 3:16 (NKJV)
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
May/might, same thing. It's in nearly every English Bible I checked.

What bothers me is that you are promising what you can't deliver, and that you will be held accountable. Salvation is for those who believe and repent.

John 3:16 (NKJV)
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Hey DB,

It goes even further than that, in where whoever hears his voice, and opens the door. (Ref. Rev. 3:20)

Apparently some only hear his voice, but lack the second aspect.
BibleScribe

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Hey DB,

It goes even further than that, in where whoever hears his voice, and opens the door. (Ref. Rev. 3:20)

Apparently some only hear his voice, but lack the second aspect.
BibleScribe
Bottom line:

Matthew 7:14 (NKJV)
14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

So then, how many are a FEW? Ask Noah, Lot, Moses ...

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
Hey DB,

I think you and I both know just how many of our loved ones, friends, and acquaintances will never be seen in eternity. And it breaks my heart that so many reject the salvation so preciously purchased to give us eternal life. But equally, it angers me that some would attempt to deceive these lost individuals into thinking they're ok. They don't need a SAVIOUR, they don't need the TRUTH of GOD's WORD, and they don't need the HOLY SPIRIT. It's a lie from the pit of hell that EVERYONE gets a free ticket to heaven.

But back on the Topic question, -- EACH of us has an opportunity to change our tomorrow. All we need to do is confess and repent of our sins, and start each new day/hour/minute in Christ.

BibleScribe

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Looking at the world today with wars, famine, diseases, sickness, poverty, hatred, jealousy...........All sighs of endtime as the bible says.

Can prayers change the bible prophecy? I see things everyday and what I do is just accept them as bible prophecy.

I've been to places where people were living in poverty. The memory that stands out in greatest relief is the smell of their garbage. Oh yes, they have garbage. It's not the full bodied stench we're used to in America. It was more like a thin slightly rancid odor. No meat on any bones (no fat or gristle either - just naked bone), no half portions of a serving thrown away no cans with remnants of food left inside, no dirty paper napkins either.

I saw and smelled all that and when it was time to leave I left. Others remain and work and pray. Sometimes they make a small difference, but their efforts are usually painful and exhausting and can take a lifetime for an impact to be seen. We don't have that much time left.

Once upon a time a lifetime was sufficient to make a difference, but in an age where problems pop up out of the ground faster than they can be counted it does seem to create an atmosphere of futility. Then again Our Lord seems to have the knack of making a little bit go a long way when He wants to.

What's happening? I think the Bible indicates that as the end draws near Our Lord will allow the evil to continue to be evil and the good to continue to be good. Both will rise up and blossom together until the harvestor comes to gather into his barn or to burn the refuse in the dump. In ages past the process went on over a lifetime. Today it's become furious, traveling at breackneck speed, and every year it seems to move faster and faster.

Man is the Lord of nature. Christ is Lord of history. It is given to us to move the earth and to care for it and each other. Jesus will decide how and why the scrolls of the future are to unwind. Our duty is to tend the ground He has given to us, to work and pray. His duty is to guide all of us to the end, either safely or horribly as He judges.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking at the world today with wars, famine, diseases, sickness, poverty, hatred, jealousy...........All sighs of endtime as the bible says.

Can prayers change the bible prophecy? I see things everyday and what I do is just accept them as bible prophecy.
No they can't.... They can on the surface change timing, but not prevent them. Yet, it was ordained before the world began that the prayers of the saints would change them, so even in that sense, no. Nothing changes from God's original plan. God said he changes not, and even though heaven and earth may pass away, his word will always be.

Still, we are ordained to pray....