Can Priests Forgive Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Matthew 16:13-20, “I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven” does indicate that the Christ, the Son of the Living God has delegated that authority.
Really?

Did Paul or even Peter Himself Believe that Peter was the Pope? Administrator
Posted: February 12, 2013

Essential to Roman Catholic claims of authority is the belief that in Matthew 16 Christ stated that He would build His church on Peter. However, Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:19-20 that the "household of God" was "built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus being the cornerstone."

In Paul's letter to the church in Rome, he neglected to mention "Pope Peter" even once, especially in his final greeting to so many individuals (Rom 16).

In Galatians 2:11-14 we read about how Paul rebuked "Pope Peter" to his face because he stood condemned in his hypocrisy for encouraging a false gospel amongst others.

Paul gives no support for Peter being the Pope but did Peter at least believe he was the singular leader of the church of Christ?

In 1 Peter 5:1-4 we read,

"So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory."

Peter believed that he was one of many other "fellow elders," he exhorted others to "shepherd the flock of God," and he acknowledged Christ as the "Chief Shepherd."

But Peter surely believed that he was the "rock" Christ would build his church on right? In Acts 4:11 Peter replies to the council, "This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone."

Are you trusting your salvation to the rock of Christ (a perfect unmovable rock that attained salvation) or the rock of Peter (a "rock" guilty of opposing Christ, denying Christ, and judaizing)?

Did Paul or even Peter Himself Believe that Peter was the Pope?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter believed that he was one of many other "fellow elders," he exhorted others to "shepherd the flock of God," and he acknowledged Christ as the "Chief Shepherd."
But the point under dispute is not the exclusivity of Peter and his so-called successors as leaders. You can see in Acts and to some extent in Galatians the power struggles in the early church between Peter, James, Apollos, Paul, and others that are still going on today. The point under dispute is whether Jesus delegated His authority to forgive sins on earth to His followers.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
But the point under dispute is not the exclusivity of Peter and his so-called successors as leaders. You can see in Acts and to some extent in Galatians the power struggles in the early church between Peter, James, Apollos, Paul, and others that are still going on today. The point under dispute is whether Jesus delegated His authority to forgive sins on earth to His followers.
The correct understanding of John 20:23; would be to recognize that Jesus is not opposing the theme throughout the rest of scripture that God alone forgives sins but that they can boldly declare that those who genuinely repent and believe the gospel will have their sins forgiven by God and those who reject Christ will die in their sins (Jn 8:24;Heb 10:26-27).

The apostles had heard similar statements by Jesus like in; Matthew 16:19;that they can bind and loose that which is on heaven and earth.

Here too, Jesus is not giving away authority that belongs to God alone, but noting that their authority and teaching comes from being in the confines of Christ teaching and authority.

Regarding forgiveness, Christians should preach the gospel so that others might have the forgiveness of God and likewise warn those who reject it that they remain under His righteous judgement.

We see an example of this in Christ final exhortation in; Luke 24:46-47where He says, ;Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.; Did you catch that? Forgiveness of sins is proclaimed as the result of receiving the gospel.

How tragic that priests have have gone so far as to believe that they have authority to forgive sins as mediators between God and man, the position of Christ alone (1 Tim 2:5) and give a false hope to those who are without Christ. Catholics must turn from trusting in their religion to save and forgive them and recognize that salvation and complete right standing is found in Christ alone (Acts 4:12).

This is me brother-I don't believe when the last apostle died the "mantle" was passed on-correct me if I'm wrong-all authority belongs to Christ.

More like Legislative authority has been given to the TRUE ekklesia brother-

Shalom.

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. I think the importance of the certainty of God's forgiveness when anyone comes to repentance and seeks it, is this announcement which God authorizes. It's a confirmation. "Ask and you will receive, knock and the door will open." It removes any doubts that one may have, "Are my sins forgiven?" Then the one leading them in prayer, baptism, whatever is able to confirm it, "Yes, they are". All pastors and all of us confirm this with new believers. We are to confess our sins to one another. We are not confessing to a black hole, entering into a mystery that leaves us hanging. We are given forgiveness.
Otherwise people may doubt and claim only God forgives ( which is true); but they could twist it into an unknowable mystery which would confound us all: "Did He personally forgive you? ... Did you hear His voice utter the words? ... Did He appear to you? Then you don't know for sure." That would not be encouraging. We are to encourage one another ... if not in this way, how? That written 40x in scripture.
We are ambassadors, saints just delivering the truth.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can priests forgive sin?
OP ^

No.
Sin is Against the Lord God Almighty and ONLY He can forgive Sin.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostles had heard similar statements by Jesus like in; Matthew 16:19;that they can bind and loose that which is on heaven and earth.
Binding and Loosing “Forgiveness” applies to every man WHO forgives another mans Trespasses Against him.

A man WHO forgives another mans Trespasses Against him, SO ALSO shall that mans Trespasses be Forgiven (by God) on Earth and in Heaven.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Cassandra

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
whether Jesus delegated His authority to forgive sins on earth to His followers.
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven,.... By the kingdom of heaven is meant the Gospel, which comes from heaven, declares the king Messiah to be come, speaks of things concerning his kingdom, is the means of setting it up, and enlarging it, displays the riches of his grace, and gives an account of the kingdom of heaven, and of persons' right unto it, and meetness for it.

"The keys" of it are abilities to open and explain the Gospel truths, and a mission and commission from Christ to make use of them; and being said to be given to Peter particularly, denotes his after qualifications, commission, work, and usefulness in opening the door of faith, or preaching the Gospel first to the Jews, Act_2:1 and then to the Gentiles, Act_10:1 and who was the first that made use of the keys of evangelical knowledge with respect to both, after he, with the rest of the apostles, had received an enlarged commission to preach the Gospel to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Otherwise these keys belonged to them all alike; for to the same persons the keys, and the use of them, appertai-ned, on whom the power of binding and loosing was bestowed; and this latter all the disciples had, as is manifest from Mat_18:18 wherefore this does not serve to establish the primacy and power of Peter over the rest of the apostles; nor do keys design any lordly domination or authority; nor did Christ allow of any such among his apostles; nor is it his will that the ministers of his word should lord it over his heritage: -he only is king of saints, and head of his church; he has the key of David, with which he opens, and no man shuts, and shuts, and no man opens; and this he keeps in his own hand, and gives it to none.

Peter is not the door-keeper of heaven to let in, nor keep out, whom he pleases; nor has his pretended successor the keys of hell and death; these also are only in Christ's hands:

though it has been said of the pope of Rome, that if he sends millions of men to hell, none should say to him, what dost thou? but the keys here mentioned are the keys of the kingdom of heaven; or of the Gospel, which was shut up in the Jewish nation, through the ignorance, malice, and calumnies of the Scribes and Pharisees, who would neither embrace it, or enter into the kingdom of God themselves, nor suffer others that were going to enter into it; and through their taking away the key of knowledge, or the right interpretation of the word of God; and through a judicial blindness, which that nation in general was given up to: and this was shut up to the Gentiles through the natural darkness that was spread over them, and through want of a divine revelation, and persons sent of God to instruct them:

but now Christ was about, and in a little time he would (for these words, with what follow, are in the future tense) give his apostles both a commission and gifts, qualifying them to open the sealed book of the Gospel, and unlock the mysteries of it, both to Jews and Gentiles, especially the latter.

Keys are the ensigns of treasurers, and of stewards, and such the ministers of the Gospel are; they have the rich treasure of the word under their care, put into their earthen vessels to open and lay before others; and they are stewards of the mysteries and manifold grace of God, and of these things they have the keys. So that these words have nothing to do with church power and government in Peter, nor in the pope, nor in any other man, or set of men whatever; nor to be understood of church censures, excommunications, admissions, or exclusions of members: nor indeed are keys of any such similar use; they serve for locking and unlocking doors, and so for keeping out those that are without, and retaining those that are within, but not for the expulsion of any: but here they are used in a figurative sense, for the opening and explaining the truths of the Gospel, for which Peter had excellent gifts and abilities.

And whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, shall be loosed in heaven. This also is not to be understood of binding, or loosing men's sins, by laying on, or taking off censures, and excommunications; but only of doctrines, or declarations of what is lawful and unlawful, free, or prohibited to be received, or practised; in which sense the words, אסור ומותר, "bound and loosed", are used in the Talmudic writings, times without number, for that which is forbidden and declared to be unlawful, and for that which is free of use, and pronounced to be so: in multitudes of places we read of one Rabbi אוסר, "binding", and of another מתיר, "loosing"; thousands, and ten thousands of instances of this kind might be produced; a whole volume of extracts on this head might be compiled.

Dr. Lightfoot has transcribed a great many, sufficient to satisfy any man, and give him the true sense of these phrases; and after him to mention any other is needless; yet give me leave to produce one, as it is short, and full, and explains these phrases, and points at the persons that had this power, explaining Ecc_12:11 and that clause in it, "masters of the assemblies".
"these (say they (t)) are the disciples of the wise men, who sit in different collections, and study in the law; these pronounce things or persons defiled, and these pronounce things or persons clean, אוסרין והללן מתירין הללו, "these bind, and these loose"; these reject, or pronounce persons or things profane, and these declare them right.''

And a little after,
"get thyself an heart to hear the words of them that pronounce unclean, and the words of them that pronounce clean; the words of them אוסרין, that "bind", and the words of them מתירין, that "loose"; the words of them that reject, and the words of them that declare it right''

But Christ gave a greater power of binding and loosing, to his disciples, than these men had, and which they used to better purpose. The sense of the words is this, that Peter, and so the rest of the apostles, should be empowered with authority from him, and so directed by his Holy Spirit, that whatever they bound, that is, declared to be forbidden, and unlawful, should be so: and that whatever they loosed, that is, declared to be lawful, and free of use, should be so; and accordingly they bound some things which before were loosed, and loosed some things which before were bound; for instance, they bound, that is, prohibited, or declared unlawful, the use of circumcision, which before, and until the death of Christ, was enjoined the natural seed of Abraham; but that, and all ceremonies, being abolished by the death of Christ, they declared it to be nothing, and of no avail, yea, hurtful and pernicious; that whoever was circumcised, Christ profited him nothing, and that he was a debtor to do the whole law: they affirmed, that the believing Gentiles were not to be troubled with it; that it was a yoke not fit to be put upon their necks, which they, and their fathers, were not able to bear, Gal_5:1. They bound, or forbid the observance of days, months, times, and years; the keeping holy days, new moons, and sabbaths, which had been used in the Jewish church for ages past; such as the first day of the new year, and of every month, the day of atonement, the feasts of the passover, pentecost, and tabernacles, the jubilee year, the sabbatical year, and seventh day sabbath, Gal_4:9. They loosed, or declared lawful and free, both civil and religious conversation between Jews and Gentiles; whereas, before, the Jews had no dealings with the Gentiles, nor would not enter into their houses, nor keep company with them, would have no conversation with them; neither eat, nor drink with them; but now it was determined and declared, that no man should be called common, or unclean; and that in Christ Jesus, and in his church, there is no distinction of Jew and Gentile, Act_10:28. They also loosed, or pronounced lawful, the eating of any sort of food, without distinction, even that which was before counted common and unclean, being persuaded by the Lord Jesus Christ, by the words he said, Mat_15:11. They asserted, that there is nothing unclean of itself; and that the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; or that true religion does not lie in the observance of those things; that every creature of God is good, and fit for food, and nothing to be refused, or abstained from, on a religious account, provided it be received with thanksgiving, Rom_14:14. And these things now being by them bound or loosed, pronounced unlawful or lawful, are confirmed as such by the authority of God, and are so to be considered by us.
(t) T. Bab. Chagiga, fol. 3. 2.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me and my alternate golf personality, Mr. Mulligan? LOL.

Seriously, so far MatthewG, Johann, and I agree that Matthew 9:6, Mark 2:10, and Luke 5:24 all state that Jesus established His authority on earth to forgive sins.

But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,” He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, get up, and pick up your stretcher, and go home.”

I didn't realize the point was still under dispute.
I know this is controversial, but I believe Jesus was God in flesh, but I also believe Jesus was playing a role - setting an example for the rest of us.

So, yes, I believe that Jesus could forgive sins, since he was God in flesh, but in the role he was playing - setting an example for us - I wonder if he was just pointing out that God had forgiven the sins of the repentant Christians ("Your sins are forgiven").

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can Priests Forgive Sin?

The Catholic Church claims that its bishops and priests have inherited from the apostles the power to forgive penitent sinners. Please notice the following:

Correct me if I'm wrong.
We know the bible states that Jesus gave authority to the apostles to forgive or retain sins. The Catholics claim that was passed down. Although I doubt authority is passed down, since God never works that way totally in the bible but sometimes does, this may be true and it may be false.

I think the message in the OP only opens the door to speculation of the truth. Since no one truly knows who has authority now days to forgive or retain sins, then any discussion is mere speculation.

Reactions: Johann

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably asking God about whether a person has power to forgive sins would be the best advice. Only God knows if he has been given power to forgive or retain sins. This is very similar to why I don't tell people I'm saved. As man can't say he is saved. Only God can grant that to man. So I suppose if God tells you you're saved then OK. But if man explains to you that your saved somehow, then I wouldn't believe them.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Probably asking God about whether a person has power to forgive sins would be the best advice. Only God knows if he has been given power to forgive or retain sins. This is very similar to why I don't tell people I'm saved. As man can't say he is saved. Only God can grant that to man. So I suppose if God tells you you're saved then OK. But if man explains to you that your saved somehow, then I wouldn't believe them.
So you are unsure of your eternal salvation?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Are you asking me if I have authority to save myself @Johann. That is kind of blasphemous to ask.
This is very similar to why I don't tell people I'm saved. As man can't say he is saved. Only God can grant that to man. So I suppose if God tells you you're saved then OK. But if man explains to you that your saved somehow, then I wouldn't believe them.

Are you sure re your salvation, or not?

Assurance of Eternal Life
Written by Mike Gendron.

Are you aware of one of the greatest truths revealed in the Bible? Did you know it is possible for you to know right here and now, with absolute certainty, that the moment you die, you can enjoy the presence of God forever. God wants you to know that salvation can be secured by His faithfulness and power to all who trust the Savior Jesus Christ. The apostle John, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit revealed this wonderful truth as the purpose for one of his letters, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life." (1 John 5:13) Anyone who repents from trusting in things that cannot save them (Hebrews 6:1) and puts all their trust in Jesus will never face the condemnation of God 's wrath. Jesus said, I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned, he has crossed over from death to life" (John 5:24).

All believers have a special relationship with God. To all who have received Christ, "to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God---children not born of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God." (John 1:12,13). The relationship God the Father has with His children is an eternal relationship (John 8:35). It is permanent. Nothing will ever separate His children from His love (Romans 8:35-39). Our heavenly Father will discipline His children (Hebrews 12:10-11), but He will never condemn them. In a way it is similar to the unchanging relationship we have with our earthly parents. Nothing we could ever do will change who our parents are.

Most people go through life hoping they will go to heaven when they die. They hope, after living a good enough life, they will receive favor from God and a place in His Kingdom. Roman Catholics are taught they receive salvation through water baptism, but they can lose it in an instant by committing a mortal sin. Only by confessing the sin to a priest and doing penance can they be justified again. This cycle is often repeated hundreds of times in a Catholic's life.

Those who depend on their personal righteousness, performing good works, or adhering to a religious system, can never be assured of salvation. They will never know if they have ever done enough. It seems absurd to put your faith in what you can do instead of what God has done. Those who believe God's word know that "salvation by grace" means to trust solely in the source of grace --- Jesus Christ. When salvation depends on God there is no chance for failure. A wonderful acronym for G-R-A-C-E is God's Riches At Christ's Expense. Whenever man is involved in attaining and preserving salvation there can be no assurance.

We have assurance through the Father. Some believe it is possible to walk away from God or renounce your faith and lose your salvation? Jesus said no one has the power to do so. "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish . . . My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all, no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand" (John 10:28-29). The Father has the power to assure the life Jesus gives is everlasting, not temporal or perishable.

We have assurance through Jesus Christ. Christians are often accused of being self-righteous and boastful because they know for sure they are going to heaven. The accusers fail to understand it is not what man does for God that qualifies him for heaven, but what God has done for man. God made His holy and perfect Son become sin for us, so we could become the righteousness of God in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21). "We have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all...by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy" (Hebrews 10:10,14).

The Catholic Church teaches that mortal sin results in the loss of eternal life. John refuted this teaching in his first epistle when he encouraged believers not to sin. "But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense---Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins" (1 John 2:1-2). This comforting truth is also revealed in Hebrews 7:25, "He (Jesus) is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them.

We also have assurance through the Holy Spirit. Many skeptics refuse to believe that a repentant sinner can simply believe the Gospel and be assured of eternal life? Yet the Apostle Paul could not make it any more clear, "You also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the Gospel of your salvation. having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance (Ephesians 1:13-14). The moment anyone understands and believes the Gospel, they are sealed and indwelt by the Holy Spirit, who guarantees they will be co-heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17).

We have assurance through God's promises. The gift of salvation is secured forever by the faithfulness of God. He promises never to take back the gifts He has given. "God's gifts and His call are irrevocable" (Romans 11:29). His "promise comes by faith , so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed" to those who have the faith (Romans 4:16). "And if by grace, then it is no longer by works, if it were, grace would no longer be grace" (Romans 11:6). Paul is making it crystal clear that salvation can only be assured when a repentant sinner receives it as a gift of God's grace. Anyone who believes that salvation can be earned nullifies God's grace. Whenever man is involved in attaining and preserving his salvation, there can be no assurance.

This may be your first exposure to the great biblical truth of eternal security. If you want to be certain of your salvation, then put aside any teaching, experience or feeling that opposes the Word of God. You will never have the subjective feeling of assurance until you comprehend and believe the objective truth of the Gospel. Once you do, you will be more certain of living eternally in heaven than one more day on earth.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say: "Without harping and beating them on the head-"

Scripture says-

Eph_5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

2Ti_4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Is sound doctrine-correcting others, including myself-"harping and beating ?"

J.
Double down my friend . this generation has bought the correct not judge not for far too long .
And i would like for us to examine the churches that went down that road .
DID THEY GET BETTER , OR WORSE . WORSE . far WORSE .
Stick to the beautiful reminders in that bible my friend . mans ways DONT WORK , GOD , his WAY DOES and HIS ALONE .
STICK to that bible no matter who it angers . our desire is for none to perish and thus TRUTH is what we gonna bring .

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is very similar to why I don't tell people I'm saved. As man can't say he is saved. Only God can grant that to man. So I suppose if God tells you you're saved then OK. But if man explains to you that your saved somehow, then I wouldn't believe them.

I think you're probing into private issues that are better left for a persons priest or bishop to deal with privately, this is something that @Johann should not be addressing publicly on a forum for everyone to see.

Reactions: Ritajanice

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This lamb knows it has eternal life . HOW . CAUSE THIS LAMB BELIEVETH IN HE WHO GIVETH IT .
Truth is there is no other way for me , or any to be saved . SIMPLY TRUST THOU and HOPE THOU IN HE WHO DOES SAVE .
loving and embracing HIS EVERY WORD unto the end .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you tell people your saved @Johann. If you wish to discuss then perhaps that is better than being rude by probing into peoples private lives.
How on earth can that simple question be seen as rude . DEVIN feel free to ask me that question .
YOU TOO johann . HE is trying to make you THINK my friend .
For many , AND I AINT SAYING YOU , are following ANOTHER jesus and i promise that jesus nor his wordly love CAN SAVE ONE SOUL .
I would say it like this . ARE WE SURE ITS THE JESUS CHRIST of GOD we know and love .
AND the only way to do that , OPEN BIBLE and see IF WE BEEN FOLLOWING HIM or MEN .