Can privacy hurt your witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't trust people anymore. With privacy, I feel like I don't have to.

It feels so deliciously satisfying to keep "friends" Ive distanced myself from out of the loop, that I may never share a facebook post again. They get nothing. Not a pregnancy announcement, status update, nada.

But can wanting privacy go too far? My only confidante is my husband. I also journal. Is this selfish? Failing to shine my light before men?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It feels so deliciously satisfying to keep "friends" Ive distanced myself from out of the loop, that I may never share a facebook post again. They get nothing. Not a pregnancy announcement, status update, nada.

But can wanting privacy go too far? My only confidante is my husband. I also journal. Is this selfish? Failing to shine my light before men?
In my own looong experience I would say a solid YES! but there is always:

https://youtu.be/2zx6j4vI8lE

You're pregnant sister! Siddown for a minute, lol :Happy:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think it’s about balance. I use to share everything, I don’t anymore. I have learnt the hard way that when you are too trusting you get hurt because ultimately people are very quick to give opinions, make judgements and comments that are just so unhelpful. I find the only person I am completely honest with is The Lord, after all he knows everything about me, others don’t.
It doesn’t mean I never share things, but I am selective with who i share with, and what I share.
I personally don’t think it’s being a bad witness at all, you live in a community that sees how you live your life , you interact with people in the real world. Just because you don’t share anything on social media doesn’t mean you stop being part of your environment.
I know for a fact that when I use to share everything on FB I had a need , I don’t have that need anymore. Sharing with the Lord, more so in my journal , is enough. So, for me, it’s about growing xx
Rita

• Love
Reactions: Wynona and Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Choosing carefully who one confides in is wise. Facebook on the other hand is putting ones head in the lions mouth.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I also realise that social media is seen a must these days - I am of a different generation. So I guess that the younger generation may see it as some kind of failure to not share within that realm.
It’s not, you still have the right to choose how you communicate and to who xx

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't share on social media unless I'm anonymous in my account, and even then there are things I keep private for security reasons. Like I never tell people my plans or what I am about to do.

I share about my mental illness as other mentally ill people can benefit from it, but I only do that in my anonymous accounts, not Facebook.

I shared with my neighbor that I have a mental illness and all I got was judgments from him. It's been a disaster. So I don't tell people I'm mentally ill in person.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my own looong experience I would say a solid YES! but there is always:

https://youtu.be/2zx6j4vI8lE

You're pregnant sister! Siddown for a minute, lol :Happy:
@Wynona ,
Let me reiterate a bit. I think I misread or mistook part of your OP. I should have really said a "solid no!" to your question. Privacy is huge, even among those on here, especially on here. Like Rita, I too have stopped sharing certain things unless I feel comfortable. People, Christians especially can and will treat us differently.
As far as those you have distanced as "friends", my guess is they are not Christians?
I'm just so used to you always being super busy with chores and such. And, seeing as you are very pregnant, my "Siddown for a minute" was meaning to slow down...after reading Rita's post, I re-read your post again. Forgive me?!!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I don't share on social media unless I'm anonymous in my account, and even then there are things I keep private for security reasons. Like I never tell people my plans or what I am about to do.

I share about my mental illness as other mentally ill people can benefit from it, but I only do that in my anonymous accounts, not Facebook.

I shared with my neighbor that I have a mental illness and all I got was judgments from him. It's been a disaster. So I don't tell people I'm mentally ill in person.

If we invite people to gossip, they will.

If you put it out there, so will they.

count on it.

So, unless you want that Reader, then be private regarding what needs to be kept private.

Last edited:

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wynona ,
Let me reiterate a bit. I think I misread or mistook part of your OP. I should have really said a "solid no!" to your question. Privacy is huge, even among those on here, especially on here. Like Rita, I too have stopped sharing certain things unless I feel comfortable. People, Christians especially can and will treat us differently.
As far as those you have distanced as "friends", my guess is they are not Christians?
I'm just so used to you always being super busy with chores and such. And, seeing as you are very pregnant, my "Siddown for a minute" was meaning to slow down...after reading Rita's post, I re-read your post again. Forgive me?!!
I wasn't offended. Love you, sis!!

• Love
Reactions: Nancy