Can the Soul Die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You talk in circles but ignore all scripture that refutes your claim.

In the Garden after Adam "became' a living soul- It was pointed out that he was removed lest he eat the "tree of life" and live forever.

You refuse to accept the actual definition of death and what scripture says about the 'second death" (self explanatory) in favor of some made up interpretation.

You cannot comprehend or acknowledge specific statements like "fear he who can destroy (not torment) the body and soul...

That's just a small portion
"2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars" Daniel 12:2-3.

"And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matthew 25:56.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adams experienced spiritual death in the garden and body death after 930 years of phyical life. Adam's soul did not die because it is immortal.

what scripture says that in those words?

In English, "immortal" means "not" (prefix im) mortal as in the properties of mortality. It does not default to eternal existence.
We do not have 'eternal life" ( in the biblical sense) until we are regenerated thru Christ.

Not all "souls" get to that.

Reactions: Brakelite

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars" Daniel 12:2-3.

"And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matthew 25:56.

All very nice and true but when properly read and contexted invalidate your entire premise.

Again, eternal punishment (completed act)- not eternal punishING. Same with contempt.

Reactions: jessiblue

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have made my beliefs clear... I believe in eternal punishment and torment... and I believe that a soul is eternal... I am not certain of the logistics of it all but neither is anyone else... that is my point. LOL

No, MANY actually are very well versed and know the subject because we study and learn- not sitting idly by hiding behind excuses for not studying and learning.

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what scripture says that in those words?

In English, "immortal" means "not" (prefix im) mortal as in the properties of mortality. It does not default to eternal existence.
We do not have 'eternal life" ( in the biblical sense) until we are regenerated thru Christ.

Not all "souls" get to that.
Our physical bodies are mortal, our souls are immortal. All souls are created by God, and they have a start point but no end point. The soul that sins shall die refers to the physical person, not to the immortal soul of the person. The soul continues into eternity for eternity.

Reactions: Addy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, MANY actually are very well versed and know the subject because we study and learn- not sitting idly by hiding behind excuses for not studying and learning.
and your ARROGANCE is free-flowing for all the world to see. I have found/experienced that arrogance and knowledge often go together.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How anyone can define eternal punishment as a completed act is beyond me... it is an ON-going act... thus eternal.
Anyways... I will take my uneducated little being out of here... this is not worth my time.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is an ON GOING act.... punishment for eternity.... you are not even accepting legitimate definitions of words.
It is NOT a completed act if it is eternal.

No Abby,you even admit you have no detailed knowledge to discuss the point on so how do you know your position is in fact accurate?

You are arguing an "English" word which in itself is an "approximate" to the actual Greek with no understanding of context and other linking scriptures.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No Abby,you even admit you have no detailed knowledge to discuss the point on so how do you know your position is in fact accurate?
My position is my own personal belief.. of which I don't argue... I simply believe. NO one has detailed knowledge of the topic of life after death... it is all opinion. People like to play the I'm smarter than you game all the time. LOL.... I stand by what I believe... If you go back to my FIRST post here... it was a simple comment that I liked someone's words.... I got dragged into this debate... so... yeah... I shared my beliefs.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
... I take it you are talking about belief in eternal separation from God... YEP... I do believe that because that is what it says in the bible...
Okay, I'll call your bluff! Where does it mention eternal separation from God in the Bible?

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Okay, I'll call your bluff! Where does it mention eternal separation from God in the Bible?

If you read my posts... you will see that I am trying to bow out of this topic... I made a few points here and there... and stated my beliefs.

For the purpose of showing scripture as you have requested. Again...

2 Thessalonians 1:9 - Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Matthew 25:41 - Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm out... Have a blessed day everyone... I will not be answering any more posts made at me.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our physical bodies are mortal, our souls are immortal. All souls are created by God, and they have a start point but no end point. The soul that sins shall die refers to the physical person, not to the immortal soul of the person. The soul continues into eternity for eternity.

Then explain Matthew 10:28 SPECIFICALLY pointing out the following and how your 'belief' negates it

Body- Somah (G4983) physical flesh whole body

Soul- psookay (G5590) breath, spirit, vitality, immortal soul

Destroy- apolomeh (G622) perish, die, absolute full destruction

Hell- ghenna (G1067) eternal punishment, lake of fire

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then explain Matthew 10:28 SPECIFICALLY pointing out the following and how your 'belief' negates it

Body- Somah (G4983) physical flesh whole body

Soul- psookay (G5590) breath, spirit, vitality, immortal soul

Destroy- apolomeh (G622) perish, die, absolute full destruction

Hell- ghenna (G1067) eternal punishment, lake of fire
Scripture explains scripture. The soul that dies is in an eternal state of destruction/punishment.

jessiblue

Aug 21, 2021
a Heavenly place
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before His angels.

If you check out the word "blot out" in Greek, it means "gone,” "erased.” According to the scripture above, a soul can be blotted out.

Eternal torture and God's love are simply incompatible. When God destroys something, as many examples in the Bible illustrate, it is done quickly as a consuming fire.

Hebrews 12:29: For our God is a consuming fire.

-jb

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Addy The very idea of a supposedly temporary hell is not Biblical -
1 Corinthians 15:26 (KJV): The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
Revelation 20:14 (KJV): And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. ...

Death is destroyed - symbolically represented by being cast into a lake of fire (fire destroys). There wil be no more death.
Hell is also destroyed - symbolically represented by being cast into a lake of fire (fire destroys). There will be no more hell.

Therefore hell (hades/sheol) is temporary.