Can We Find Wrongs Without Judging?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
mathew 7 verses 1 says do not judge others so that ALMIGHTY GOD will not judge you.

do i judge if i tell my brother he is wrong about something? i mean telling him that what he is doing is wrong?

do i judge if i tell my fellow neighbor that is a muslim that he is doing the wrong thing just because he does not believe in the resurrection of our LORD JESUS CHRIST?

do i judge if i tell my brother that he did not explain a particular part of the Bible well?

Do i judge if i tell my mother to stop praying through Mary the mother of JESUS CHRIST?

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
Many people use Matthew 7:1 as a defense as to why a person can't say anything wrong about them and only God can have a say...not true. The same chapter that says judge not also says you will know them by their fruit. If they bare bad fruit and say they are Christian then you know it's a lie. Good tree cannot produce bad fruit. Matthew 7:1 has to be read in context with the rest of the chapter...Jesus is teaching that it is wrong to judge another hypocritically. That is, if I am an alcoholic...then I am not to accuse another for drinking for I will be judged by God.

Romans 2:1 - therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.
In this verse, Paul is speaking to all the hypocrites that go around accusing other people of the same things they do themselves.

You are not wrong for showing/telling others about their sins. Paul spent the first 3 chapters of Romans doing that very thing! He was able to do so because Paul wasn't a hypocrite who lived in sin. Did he sin time to time? Yes, we all do. But those who are living in Christ live righteously as a lifestyle thanks to the new nature given to us by the Holy Spirit that is now within us.

Most people will tell you that you cannot judge others and will use Matt 7:1 as the reason why...I don't buy into it. The reason why they are saying that is because they fear that they themselves will be judged...and the last thing they want is for that to happen because they know they are wrong.
If you are still not convinced then I suggest you read all three chapters of Romans and ask yourself these questions...
Why was Paul condemning everybody? What gave him the authority? Was he just in doing so?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think judging and knowing fruit can seem to become splitting hairs, but there is a different.

To try and simplify it on our terms, I think of it like this:

Judgment is when you make the final call on something. I would equate it with a statement like: "That person is hell-bound because of the sin in his/her life."

Knowing fruit is when you are aware of the person - whether they be a Christian of God or of the world and you figure out if you need to avoid getting entangled with the person.

An example of this I'd point to is Christ:

Mark 2:17
And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

And then Paul's statement:

II Corinthians 6:14
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

Might these two contradict at first glance?

It has to be seen with understanding, but the understanding is that you know who is on God's side and who is not. However, you recognize that #1 you're not God, and #2 that person can repent. Yes it is certainly wrong to judge another hypocritically, but is not also hypocritical for a sinner to judge another sinner on a different sin from his or her own? Knowing what someone is about is distinct from knowing and/or calling their fate; it's a shortcoming of our English language, but there is a difference between the two.

Think of our modern court system. You can have a pretty good idea that a person is guilty, but the judge is the one who makes that call. You can know to stay away from that person, but he or she is not guilty until the trial is over. In life, God is the Judge and we are a mixture of the defendant and spectators. We cannot condemn the person to hell, but we can know they're doing things that put you on that path that we ourselves don't need to.

Proverbs is a great book on this subject. There's a time to speak and a time not to speak, that's why it's good to have a slow tongue. Some "Christians" - and I use the term loosely here - like to play judge and condemn others based on misguided or wrong beliefs. You'll see them in forums like these posting their weekly or daily diatribes about so-and-so or such-and-such. The Lord will set them, you and me straight. Leave that to him, because no one does it better. Speak up where reasonable, but realize that it's not always your duty to police and judge.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Mar 11:25 And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him and [7] let it drop (leave it, let it go), in order that your Father Who is in heaven may also forgive you your [own] failings and shortcomings and let them drop.

Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

To keep from Judgment, and to keep yourself spiritually safe where Satan will not have a place. Consider this..........

Telling someone about something they are doing wrong is Judgment. The court of Law does it every day. A person is judged by what they have done in accordance to that law.

If you tell someone they are doing wrong, by what Law are you using, and what authority are you using it??

If your using Bible standards, then that person has a judge already. It's not you.

Joh 12:47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Joh 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Do you have authority over your mother or brother? If not, then it's not your place to remind them that they are doing wrong. It is your place to led a life that reflects Jesus, not to hammer scripture down peoples throat.

If someone will not obey God, and will not put God first, you have a right not to associate with that person. It does not mean treat them wrong or be unkind, just don't hang around them. If it is Mom or brother, then just keep quite, and respect them. You don't have to get caught up in what they believe.

I know several people who's parents are Catholic and they are not. It is very aggravating but until they learned to respect their parents and stopped correcting them, they had no peace. God can change a person though prayer, and walking as an example. We get in God's way if we continue to tell them how wrong they are.

2Th 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
2Th 3:15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

The best way to overcome is just obey God. Obey the Word. Not saying anything is the best route. People that you know and are close to you, are the least likely to listen to any sound advice. God normally has to send someone their way. He will, if you just do your part.

1Pe 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

You have a right to stop others from doing personal wrong to you. Someone taking your things is wrong, someone touching you in strange ways, is wrong. You have a right to mention it, and ask them to stop. You should allow nobody to ever abuse you. God upholds the laws we have in the land.

If you have a authoritative position, such as being a boss, or watching children, then you are given the right to judge and be faithful in that position. Doing nothing would be wrong. If an employee is stealing from your business, then you have every right to fire that person, judging them unfaithful.

Just ask yourself if you would want someone to correct you all the time. Do you want everyone to catch every mistake you make?
Do you want people to tell you that your wrong, and should know scriptures better? What measure you judge, always comes back to you. If you would rather people just pray for you, and believe the best for them, then you do the same for others.

Situation: Word spoken in season.

A brother in Christ of mine was always cursing..........I never mentioned it to him for months......... one day he was with friends and just cursing like a sailor. The Lord told me to tell him about it, in front of everyone. He broke down, and started to cry. He stopped it that day. I waited on the Lord to Judge, and God choose me to say something. God knows when someones heart is right to receive something. If a person is not ready to receive, then they won't accept truth, and just get offended. Not only that, but it hurts your chances of being used by God latter to help this person. A person must be in a position to receive correction.
A lot of times, I just pray, and never say a thing.

1Jn 5:16 If anyone sees his brother [believer] committing a sin that does not [lead to] death (the extinguishing of life), he will pray and [God] will give him life [yes, He will grant life to all those whose sin is not one leading to death]. There is a sin [that leads] to death; I do not say that one should pray for that.

We are told to pray for those we see sin. Not go tell them about it.......Keep these things in mind.

Jesus Is Lord

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mathew 7 verses 1 says do not judge others so that ALMIGHTY GOD will not judge you.
do i judge if i tell my brother he is wrong about something? i mean telling him that what he is doing is wrong?
do i judge if i tell my fellow neighbor that is a muslim that he is doing the wrong thing just because he does not believe in the resurrection of our LORD JESUS CHRIST?
do i judge if i tell my brother that he did not explain a particular part of the Bible well?
Do i judge if i tell my mother to stop praying through Mary the mother of JESUS CHRIST?

Very good question...

I notice you start with "Do I judge if I tell..."
Then you use "wrong" 3 xs and "stop"! Only once did it seem like a more gentle teaching aid by saying the
Bible wasn't being taught well..it almost leads into that you maybe were planning to offer assistance. Always a good thing.

I'd say shut your trap, I'm sorry, I mean hold your tongue...and knock off thinking you're God's policeman. "The Enforcer".

You honestly think it's your business*? Now if someone is robbing a bank - you think they don't know they are doing wrong?
But, you didn't use a simple example like that, did you?

Nope, you used all "religious" subjects to "judge" people on - how fascinating.
And subjects that are controversial - Islam and the Virgin Mary and Bible teaching.

Maybe Islam isn't wrong for this neighbor, maybe praying to Mary isn't wrong for your mom, maybe that teaching was perfect for the student.

I'm not saying be a wimp - probably I'd say hone your communication skills.

See how mine are so great! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

;) Miss Hepburn

* If you are dead set on changing the world to what you believe to be true - you can always act like a Christian and let people know you are one - let them start asking you why you're always happy, nothing bothers you, you never are stressed or angry, always show patience - you're always doing for others - everything seems to work for you, you are the kindest most generous person they've ever MET!!!

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

gumby

May 29, 2009
I beleive there is a fine line between judgement and discerning a situation. We as christians can practice rightious judgement but never false judment if that makes any sense. I think the main thing as mature christians is be gentle with people and be kind only stepping in and discerning if necisarry.

God bless :)

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
I beleive there is a fine line between judgement and discerning a situation. We as christians can practice rightious judgement but never false judment if that makes any sense. I think the main thing as mature christians is be gentle with people and be kind only stepping in and discerning if necisarry.

I strongly agree with what Hammerstone and Gumby have said here. I wrote my response really quick and it is important to know how to not cross the line in regards to calling person out. For example, just because you might see a person struggling with sin doesn't mean they are not saved and you would be wrong in saying that they are going to hell. On the other hand, someone should show them there sinful and try to help that person...not condemn them.

As far as fruit....we can pick apart a true believer from a false one by the fruit they bare. However, same rule also applies...don't be hasty to drop the ball on them. If you observe a persons life and you see nothing but sin and absolutly no work of sanctification or passion for God, then you would be right to tell that person they need to repent and turn to Christ.

It takes some discernment... too many people are to critical with others. There are times where I don't bare much fruit and if someone were to be watching me they might think I am not saved. However, if you spend more time and look over the course of my life you will see that I have a passion for God and all thought I may struggle here and there my overall lifestyle is that of a true believer.

So in a nut shell, don't be so quick to judge others. Be patient with people and realize that they could just be struggle with sin and they just need some help and support. If, after spending a fair amount of time of observing someones life and you see no evidence of fruit...then you wouldn't be wrong for telling that person that they should repent.
Hope this helps you to grasp this concept of judging others using discernment vs just being over critical. You don't see a judge giving a person a verdict of guilty without first examining the evidence. Do you? Of course not. Even if the judge thinks there is no way the person is innocent, he still uses discernment and looks at the evidence and examines it so that way his final verdict won't be false.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

I agree, very true Gumby.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
I agree, very true Gumby.

Grace and truth shown in the face of the Lord, Jesus Christ. The period of judgment and retribution is over; the era of grace and the passing over of offenses is at hand. The Father Who took the Sacrifice for the ransom of us, is operating according to grace, not judgment. Should we do less than the same when dealing with others? Do we reflect that glory?

The Body is unique. It is the focus of His work in the earth now. His attention is there, not on those outside of it. The Spirit resides in one place alone, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is judgment. Let this be not left alone, but let it be done in kindly words with affection. The cost of failing is too much.
fivesense

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Grace and truth shown in the face of the Lord, Jesus Christ. The period of judgment and retribution is over; the era of grace and the passing over of offenses is at hand. The Father Who took the Sacrifice for the ransom of us, is operating according to grace, not judgment. Should we do less than the same when dealing with others? Do we reflect that glory?

The Body is unique. It is the focus of His work in the earth now. His attention is there, not on those outside of it. The Spirit resides in one place alone, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is judgment. Let this be not left alone, but let it be done in kindly words with affection. The cost of failing is too much.
fivesense

Are you the same fivesense’s that wrote the ranting and raving to Koshka on “Life / Figure Drawing” post #7? You didn’t show much “grace” there.

pastorlesofm

Community Guide
Jun 28, 2008
Central New York State
Are you the same fivesense’s that wrote the ranting and raving to Koshka on “Life / Figure Drawing” post #7? You didn’t show much “grace” there.

An answer from our Lord Jesus Christ Himself : A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye love one to another. John 13:34.35 KJV

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI

I'm sorry jerryjohnson if I offended your sensabilities in my response. But the devastation and destruction that is involved in this issue is too massive to allow to go unaddressed. If you are unable to appreciate my remarks, there may be something in yourself that needs examination. Purity, modesty, and holiness do not fit into this scenario that koshka is participating in, and no one cared to highlight the dichotomy. I am no saint, but for the purposes of exposing the unfruitful works of darkness, I had to make a stand. I did not condemn anyone, I only pointed out the evil that is involved.
fivesense