Can we lose our salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The English word "save" or "salvation" is polysemantic. It has at least the following meanings:

1. It could mean being physically rescued at a point in time situation (Exodus 14:13, H3444, יְשׁוּעָה yeshuah). In this case, you may need to be rescued again. You can be rescued or saved multiple times. The only places in the OT where yeshuah is used unambiguously as saving people from sins are in Eze 36:29 and 37:23.
  2. It could mean being accepted officially by a certain church/denomination. When you lose your membership, you lose this salvation.
  3. It could describe a shallow Christian who is a Christian in name only (1 John 2:19). He looks like a Christian and talks like a Christian. Instead of serving God, he wants God to serve him. After a while, he goes away because he no longer finds God useful.
  4. It could describe a believer who has been born again. But he stays infantile and refuses to grow in the Spirit.
  5. It could describe a serious Christian. He thinks he has been regenerated. He is in the faith (2 Cor 13:5, Col 1:23) and performs Christian works sincerely for years but departs from the faith eventually (1 Tim 4:1).
  6. It could mean that your name is written in the Book of Life. Later, God may erase or at least threaten to erase that name, and you may lose this type of salvation, Ex 32:32, Rev 3:5.
  7. It could mean that you have the nascent Paraclete dwelling in you, but later on you abandon him.
  8. Finally, it could mean being saved from the physical now onto eternity. The Paraclete dwells in you presently. You keep growing in the Spirit and abiding in Christ for the rest of your life.
Can you lose your salvation?

Yes, in every step of the process of salvation and in many ways: John 15:2, Romans 11:22, Hebrews 6:4, 1 Corinthians 15:2, etc.

Can you lose your Indwelling Paraclete?

It is possible, but I don't think I can. The Paraclete does what he does. He chooses to dwell in a person by making a direct connection with the person's human spirit. I only need to walk with him daily, guided by his peace in me.

Does this mean that we are free to sin?

No, I am not asserting unconditional eternal security. If the Paraclete dwells in you, you naturally abide in Jesus. As long as you abide in Jesus, you are free to serve God. You are saved.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
salvation is by grace through faith. Jesus said whoever believes will never perish and has eternal life.

Since salvation can not be earned, it can not be unearned.

Salvation is not on us, its On God, He paid the penalty and he made the promise.

so the answer is no.. You can not lose what you could never earn to begin with

Reactions: marks and Jim C

ATARI

Sep 27, 2023
hanahan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm. . .

The Subject Of Salvation.
In Thus Life i Have Had My Share Of Anguish, Torment, & Suffering.

Throughout It All I Kept My Balance In Knowing That Nothing Can Take My Freedom Of Thought Away.
Which In The End Becomes The Light At The End Of The Tunnel To Keep A Watchful Eye On My Endless Freewill.

It Is True, That You Earn Your Salvation In Understanding Right From Wrong, Correct From Incorrect, Good From Bad, & So On.
In The Old Testament There Exist's The Ten Commandments. Rules Created By The One Who Created Existence Before Existence Existed.

There Is An Endless Possible Possibility In Losing Your Salvation (Rebirth) If You Make A Clearly Wrong Judgement For Your Personal Future.
Although, We Are Well Equipped With Our Instinctual Nature, Guarded With Intuition, Among The Sheild Of Commonsense With Postive Goals.

Good Luck!,
May Wisdom Bless!.

And!,
Please,
Remember To,

Stay Forever True, Friend's. . . :100::100: :house: :100::100:

Reactions: Azim

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
salvation is by grace through faith. Jesus said whoever believes will never perish and has eternal life.

Since salvation can not be earned, it can not be unearned.

Salvation is not on us, its On God, He paid the penalty and he made the promise.

so the answer is no.. You can not lose what you could never earn to begin with
Yes! As it says in Roman's 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the  gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For 24 years I was in a steady growth in faith and to God. (After the what I consider to be the darkest moment in my life)

Then the bottom fell out again in 2009 and it took me what seemed eons to climb out of that.

For me, I had to learn how to put on the full armor of God... but worry too often if I am just the basic screw up and not wanted.... ( Yet I can and do pray in tongues.... not long.. but definitely in tongues)

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For 24 years I was in a steady growth in faith and to God. (After the what I consider to be the darkest moment in my life)

Then the bottom fell out again in 2009 and it took me what seemed eons to climb out of that.

For me, I had to learn how to put on the full armor of God... but worry too often if I am just the basic screw up and not wanted.... ( Yet I can and do pray in tongues.... not long.. but definitely in tongues)
Can you sense the Paraclete/perfect peace in you? See Where is my Paraclete?

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are all basic screwups -- you are definitely not alone -- thus the need for Christ.

Just remember:

Rom 3:23 - For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
1John1:9 - If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us of all unrighteousness.

Reactions: marks

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Can we lose our salvation?​

Of course.

IF you do Not Take your Salvation…AND/ OR the Lord Does Not find you accomplished To Receive your Salvation…

By Default you Lose your Salvation via Default of Never Having Possessed your Gift offering OF Salvation.

Glory to God who IS Just,
Taken

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Can we lose our salvation?​

Holey pockets have all sorts of things fall through them!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you lose something that you don't have to begin with?
HAVE when and why is the POINT.

IF…you buy a lotto ticket that IS OFFERED and WHEN the draw is made, and IF your numbers match. YOU HAVE won the prize. IT is YOURS.
IF you do not CLAIM the Prize “according to the CONDITIONS”…WHY you LOSE YOUR PRIZE, by DEFAULT…you NEVER POSSESSED “YOUR” Prize.

DO you KNOW the “GIFT” that is OFFERED?
DO you KNOW WHO OFFERED the Gift?
DO you KNOW WHO the Gift was Offered TO?
DO you KNOW WHO PAID for the Gift?
DO you KNOW WHO established the CONDITIONS TO RECEIVE/ POSSESS your GIFT FOREVER?

The GIFT in question……is Salvation.
WHO offered the GIFT…is God.
The Gift was Offered……to All people.
The Gift was PAID FOR…By Jesus.
The Conditions to POSSESS your Gift…
Was Established BY God.

The Gift….IS Gods.

The Conditions…ARE “According to God”.

Scripture IS CLEAR…His Gift was PAID for, IS For the whole world, IS their Gift to Claim, Once Claimed it is their Possessed Gift Forever.
Scriptural CONDITIONS ARE CLEAR…Every individual MUST MEET HIS Conditions to RECEIVE and FOREVER POSSESS their Gift.

“IF” a Heartful BELIEVER to the End of his natural LIFE.
HE, SHALL POSESS his Gift of Salvation.

“IF” a Heartful BELIEVER and CONFESSES to the Lord, his Heartful BELIEF…He WILL THEN POSSES his GIFT of Salvation, BEFORE his natural LIFE ends. He POSSESSES his Gift of Salvation.

The “IF” establishes Gods CONDITION FOR a man to POSESS His Gift of Salvation.

IF and when the DAY should arrive…YOU can dictate, WHO must offer you a GIFT, and WHEN they MUST ALLOW you to possess that Gift…

You could LOAN your self other people’s MONEY, on YOUR TERMS (Conditions)…
You could make Purchases on CREDIT of others people’s MONEY, on YOUR TERMS (Conditions)…

The Gift of Salvation BELONGS TO GOD…
He established the Terms (Conditions)…
Men have Freewill to TAKE IT or REJECT TAKING IT.

And Scripture informs us HOW TO Freely DO EITHER.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person can stop believing in God, and follow after other things of the world. A person can stop having faith, which faith is something a person believes that is there with no evidence thereof but trust and have confidence it is there. God for those who are faithful, are made right with God because of faith, and the Lord Yeshua also helps in this as well to help perform righteous acts that come by and through him, through you as you allow God to do good work through you. Some people lose faith, and stop believing, some continue to believe, and have hope.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The English word "save" or "salvation" is polysemantic. It has at least the following meanings:

1. It could mean being physically rescued at a point in time situation (Exodus 14:13, H3444, יְשׁוּעָה yeshuah). In this case, you may need to be rescued again. You can be rescued or saved multiple times. The only places in the OT where yeshuah is used unambiguously as saving people from sins are in Eze 36:29 and 37:23.
  2. It could mean being accepted officially by a certain church/denomination. When you lose your membership, you lose this salvation.
  3. It could describe a shallow Christian who is a Christian in name only (1 John 2:19). He looks like a Christian and talks like a Christian. Instead of serving God, he wants God to serve him. After a while, he goes away because he no longer finds God useful.
  4. It could describe a serious Christian. He thinks he has been regenerated. He is in the faith (2Co 13:5, Col 1:23) and performs Christian works sincerely for years but departs from the faith eventually (1 Tim 4:1).
  5. It could mean that your name is written in the Book of Life. Later, God may erase or at least threaten to erase that name and you may lose this type of salvation, Ex 32:32, Rev 3:5.
  6. Finally, it could mean being saved from the physical now onto eternity. In this case, it requires the Paraclete to dwell in you presently. You cannot lose the Paraclete in you. This is the concept of born of the Spirit, 1 Peter 1:

The word "save" or "salvation" is polysemantic. Depending on your definition of salvation, you can definitely lose your salvation.

The question that one should ask is not "Once saved always saved?". The better question is whether you have the Paraclete Indwelling Spirit in you.

Can you lose your salvation?

Yes, in many many ways: John 15:2, Romans 11:22, Hebrews 6:4, 1 Corinthians 15:2.

Can you lose your Paraclete?

No, I don't think so. The Paraclete does what he does. He chooses to dwell in a person by making a direct connection with the person's human spirit permanently.
Never shall we lose what God gifted as irrevocable.

When God can save us,he will certainly keep us.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about people who have never heard of Jesus? Have they lost something that they have never heard of?
HEARD, is most commonly effected VIA the EARS. Broader; Hearing VIA the ears is just one method for an individual to receive Knowledge.

With that said; God REVEALS Knowledge and ONCE Revealed, it is knowledge for manKIND to possess.

I would guess the Majority of the World HAS HEARD, yet of ANY individual who has NOT Heard…THUS neither Acted FOR or AGAINST what he did NOT Hear…. Appears to me;
According to Scripture…
God IS ALL KNOWING which INCLUDES what an UNKNOWING individual WOULD HAVE CHOSEN, “IF” he had had the Knowledge.

There shall come a time when NO Mortals shall exist. It will NOT be Because Mortals stopped reproducing offspring, RATHER God shall Search the “natural spirits” of all individuals. (Which is an individuals “natural truth in his natural heart”) That is our NOTICE, of God exercising His ALL-KNOWING POWER, to KEEP forever with Him, those who WOULD Have Chosen Him.

That is my brief perspective from my Scriptural studies.

Glory to God,
Taken