Can We Walk on Water Too?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw that #25, but it was about Peter walking on the water.

I just went back and I missed number 23 which he did reply. "Sailed the boat." That was not what Jesus was DOING, so wrong answer. LOL
cc: @marks
Sorry...got the wrong post number, and used a dumb dollar sign instead of the pound one :oops:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw that #25, but it was about Peter walking on the water.

I just went back and I missed number 23 which he did reply. "Sailed the boat." That was not what Jesus was DOING, so wrong answer. LOL
cc: @marks

Except that Jesus told them . . .

35 And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side.
36 And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships.
37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
41 And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?

What did Jesus rebuke them for? Being afraid. Then they became afraid of Him.

Just the same, Jesus had said, "let us pass over . . ."

So be about the business, and pass over to the other side.

My take anyway!

Jesus said He did what the Father was doing. Was not the Father taking them over the sea? Should they not have been doing the same?

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and *said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” When they got into the boat, the wind stopped.

MATTHEW 14:28‭-‬32

If we needed too and were abiding in the Holy Spirit, could we walk on water like Christ did? Like Peter?

It is thought provoking to wonder how much we limit God's power in us by doubting and unbelief. It a bit takes me back to think I could walk on water...I don't even know honestly if I would have enough humility to do that. I have to make sure my heart is in the right place when I am singing since I can be a ham at times. But do you

1) believe in miracles where someone else could do something like this? In what circumstances?

2) Do you believe you could do this?

3) Do you believe in instant/divine healing that it is possible.

As for me, wow. I don't know honestly. The pastor was talking about this tonight that sometimes we have to take a step out of the boat in faith when it comes to following God's will. And then he talked about how we could walk on water like this, that it wasnt just because Jesus was the Son of God that He could walk on water. I don't know. It is thought provoking. He asked us if we would step out of the boat (it was a discussion). I said I honestly would want to know how to swim first, which I do. Lol.

Id just like to look up more scriptures on this. I know the disciples did a lot of miracles and Christ said some would do even greater miracles then Him. I think about Jesus miracles and wonder if I would ever see a miracle like that in my lifetime, much the less doing something like that. Jesus saved my spirit from Hell. If I can trust Him with that, I should be able to trust Him with anything else.
Very interesting question.
We cannot walk on water...it's against the laws that God Himself created.

Jesus was able to walk on water because He's God.
God can do what He want to...He created the water so it responds to Him...
Just like the fish responded to Peter's net the time Jesus told him to try again.

Peter walked on water because Jesus was there and told him to.
Also, because Peter needed this experience for his coming missionary journeys...his coming trials and tribulations...he needed a very strong faith; more than what we need.

Jesus was a miracle worker to show that He was who He said He was...God.
We don't NEED miracles to prove anything to ourselves,,we either believe or we don't.

As to healing...yes,,,there are two different types of healing...
One is natural...all healing comes from God as all good things come from God.
One is miraculous...we don't understand why some may have a healing and not others, but miraculous healings have been documented. we don't even require faith to believe in them. (spontaneous healings included).

A miracle is a divine intervention in the normal laws of nature.

Reactions: Mayflower

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is someone here who has walked on water, literally.

In about 1975 an Indonesian home missionary, a Mel Tari, wrote a book, "Like A Mighty Wind", in which he gave an account where he walked on water up to his ankles (as I best recall). Apparently he subsequently admitted that he had not walked on water, but had merely attempted to encourage the church in their faith; which he also apparently re-attested that had indeed walked on water. This same Mel Tari was ordered by a Los Angeles court to return a $475K investment fund along with $250K in punitive damages; and court records showed that this Mel Tari had a net worth of $2.7M.*

But whatever any assertions, there is NOTHING Jesus did on earth what we can't do including walking on water (as Peter did), or being transfigured (as Moses was), or any other miracle:

John 14:12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father.

* Judge Orders Evangelist to Repay Heiress : Courts: The ruling requires Mel Tari, a Dana Point preacher and author, to return the small fortune a Denver woman signed over to him. She is also awarded $250,000 in damages.

Bobby Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was able to walk on water because He's God. ...

Ummmmmm, Jesus gave up his GOD nature to be come a man. And where GOD cannot be tempted, Jesus was tempted in all things.

So our savior felt our heartbreaks, disappointment, pain, temptations, and suffering, -- and knows first hand the challenges of our humanity, but did not sin, so that he could become our savior! :)

Bobby Jo

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Ummmmmm, Jesus gave up his GOD nature to be come a man. And where GOD cannot be tempted, Jesus was tempted in all things.

So our savior felt our heartbreaks, disappointment, pain, temptations, and suffering, -- and knows first hand the challenges of our humanity, but did not sin, so that he could become our savior! :)

Bobby Jo
I did not say anything different.
But I hope you do know that Jesus was 100% man
and 100% God.

And temptation really does not come into play here anyway...

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not say anything different.
But I hope you do know that Jesus was 100% man
and 100% God.

And temptation really does not come into play here anyway...

Ummmm, GOD cannot be tempted. So while Jesus was on earth, he was just a man, subject to hunger, thirst, pain, and temptations.

Philippians 2:5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

:)
Bobby Jo

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Ummmm, GOD cannot be tempted. So while Jesus was on earth, he was just a man, subject to hunger, thirst, pain, and temptations.

Philippians 2:5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

:)
Bobby Jo
Whatever you say Bobby Jo.
Check out verse 9....THEREFORE God has highly exhalted Him....

Does this mean that Jesus was NOT exhalted before?
Was He the 2nd person of the Trinity?
Did God have to go to the cross as atonement for our sins or could it have been merely a man?
Why was He able to call Lazarus back from the dead?
Could any person do that?
What about all those miracles?
Some guy in Africa could maybe multiply some loaves of bread and fish and feed the starving?

All questions to think about.

Jesus emptied Himself...He became a man...
He was the awaited SON OF MAN....which has a few ramifications I can't get into now...it's 1:30 a.m. here.

But while He was fully a man,,,
He was also God.
Jesus removed demons from persons...the demons knew who He was and trembled.

Good night.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatever you say Bobby Jo.

It ain't me that's saying things. You've confused what comes from the Pulpit as though it came from the Scriptures. I merely cited Scripture, including verse 9 in which AFTER Jesus died on the cross, GOD EXALTED HIS SON! :)

Philippians 2:8 And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name,

"Therefore" is There For YOU! :)
Bobby Jo

Reactions: Mayflower and Helen

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please allow the Re-Post:
There is someone here who has walked on water, literally.

In about 1975 an Indonesian home missionary, a Mel Tari, wrote a book, "Like A Mighty Wind", in which he gave an account where he walked on water up to his ankles (as I best recall). Apparently he subsequently admitted that he had not walked on water, but had merely attempted to encourage the church in their faith; which he also apparently re-attested that had indeed walked on water. This same Mel Tari was ordered by a Los Angeles court to return a $475K investment fund along with $250K in punitive damages; and court records showed that this Mel Tari had a net worth of $2.7M.*

But whatever any assertions, there is NOTHING Jesus did on earth what we can't do including walking on water (as Peter did), or being transfigured (as Moses was), or any other miracle:

John 14:12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father.

* Judge Orders Evangelist to Repay Heiress : Courts: The ruling requires Mel Tari, a Dana Point preacher and author, to return the small fortune a Denver woman signed over to him. She is also awarded $250,000 in damages.

Bobby Jo

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except that Jesus told them . . .

35 And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side.
36 And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships.
37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
41 And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?

What did Jesus rebuke them for? Being afraid. Then they became afraid of Him.

Just the same, Jesus had said, "let us pass over . . ."

So be about the business, and pass over to the other side.

My take anyway!

Jesus said He did what the Father was doing. Was not the Father taking them over the sea? Should they not have been doing the same?

Much love!

That is most people's take. But those who know how to walk in the Spirit, see the actual lesson.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and *said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” When they got into the boat, the wind stopped.

MATTHEW 14:28‭-‬32

If we needed too and were abiding in the Holy Spirit, could we walk on water like Christ did? Like Peter?

It is thought provoking to wonder how much we limit God's power in us by doubting and unbelief. It a bit takes me back to think I could walk on water...I don't even know honestly if I would have enough humility to do that. I have to make sure my heart is in the right place when I am singing since I can be a ham at times. But do you

1) believe in miracles where someone else could do something like this? In what circumstances?

2) Do you believe you could do this?

3) Do you believe in instant/divine healing that it is possible.

As for me, wow. I don't know honestly. The pastor was talking about this tonight that sometimes we have to take a step out of the boat in faith when it comes to following God's will. And then he talked about how we could walk on water like this, that it wasnt just because Jesus was the Son of God that He could walk on water. I don't know. It is thought provoking. He asked us if we would step out of the boat (it was a discussion). I said I honestly would want to know how to swim first, which I do. Lol.

Id just like to look up more scriptures on this. I know the disciples did a lot of miracles and Christ said some would do even greater miracles then Him. I think about Jesus miracles and wonder if I would ever see a miracle like that in my lifetime, much the less doing something like that. Jesus saved my spirit from Hell. If I can trust Him with that, I should be able to trust Him with anything else.
John 14:12 suggest we could.

Reactions: Mayflower and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is most people's take. But those who know how to walk in the Spirit, see the actual lesson.
Who would be steering the boat?

God could do that I know.

But then, wouldn't that mean they could have just all curled up in the gunnells and slept also? I think we participate. Though it's still all Him.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But then, wouldn't that mean they could have just all curled up in the gunnells and slept also? I think we participate. Though it's still all Him.

Much love!

They were afraid because they lost trust in Jesus! We must ALWAYS look to Jesus and do what He would do. He was asleep and totally at peace. When Christians are in fear, they've lost trust in God and tend to take matters into their own hands. That is NOT the spiritual lesson here.

Here in Tennessee, we have a lot of tornados, but I know God gave me this house, so I do what Jesus would do. I go to bed and sleep like a lamb, totally trusting God without fear.

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

Do you remember when Jesus came to the house of Lazarus, Martha and Mary? You sound like Martha. LOL ;)

Reactions: marks and Mayflower

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... wouldn't that mean they could have just all curled up in the gunnells and slept also? I think we participate. Though it's still all Him.

You pose and interesting question which is NOT addressed in church. The church teaches that Jesus will provide, which is what happened when HE was with HIS disciples. But Jesus said HE WOULDN'T PROVIDE for the church after HE departed:

Luke 22:35 And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.

So you (marks) are exactly correct in that this generation MUST participate in the welfare of our futures. There is NO -- Jesus will rescue me --, unless we've done all that we can do, and all that the HOLY SPIRIT calls us to do! :)

Bobby Jo

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You pose and interesting question which is NOT addressed in church. The church teaches that Jesus will provide, which is what happened when HE was with HIS disciples. But Jesus said HE WOULDN'T PROVIDE for the church after HE departed:

Luke 22:35 And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.

So you (marks) are exactly correct in that this generation MUST participate in the welfare of our futures. There is NO -- Jesus will rescue me --, unless we've done all that we can do, and all that the HOLY SPIRIT calls us to do! :)

Bobby Jo

Is that the old saying, God only helps those who help themselves?