Can you be saved if you don't believe in the diety of Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sealed by “faith alone”!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!

Effects of baptism!

Faith and baptism accomplish justification
With these effects:
born again Jn 3:5
New creation in Christ 2 cor 5:17
Passed from death to life 2 Tim 1:10
Out of the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light 1 pet 2:9
All sins (original and personal) washed away acts 22:16
Washed in Christ’s blood 1 pet 1:2
Member of Christ and His church
1 cor 12:13
Put on Christ gal 3:27
Died with Christ rom 6:3
Risen with Christ col 2:12
Sealed by God in the ark of salvation 1 pet 3:20-21
Sealed with the Holy Spirit eph 1:13
And none by “faith alone”!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jn 3:16 means correct faith
Joh 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Question
I thought there is only ONE faith and it is a gift

Eph_2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

Explain what do you mean by "correct faith?"

Eph_1:13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

4) "In whom also after that ye believed" (en ho kai pisteusantes) "in whom also (when) ye believed," or having fully believed. The Holy Spirit quickens every believer to life eternal and seals the stamp of divine ownership upon him to eternal life, Joh_6:63; Joh_10:27-29; 1Jn_5:13.

Joh 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

Joh 10:28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

Joh 10:29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

1Jn 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

5) "Ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise" (esphragisthete to pneumati tes epangelias to hagio) "With the Holy Spirit of promise." This seal is heaven's stamp of eternal ownership of the sealed property, 2Ti_2:19; Eph_4:30. If salvation could ever be lost, it would have to be after the resurrection of the body of the believer; for until the redemption of the body (the purchased (paid for) possession of every believer), one is sealed. See also Rom_8:23.

Ye were sealed
(ἐσφραγίσθητε)
See on Joh_3:33; see on Rev_22:10. Sealed with the assurance of the Holy Spirit. Rom_8:16; 2Co_1:22; 2Ti_2:19.
Spirit of promise
Strictly, the promise. Denoting the promise as characteristic of the Holy Spirit: the Spirit which was announced by promise. See Act_2:16 sqq.; Joe_2:28; Zec_12:10; Isa_32:15; Isa_44:3; Joh_7:39; Act_1:4-8; Gal_3:14.

Not interested in the sealing of the Ruach haKodesh? Water baptism only?

Blessings
J.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joh 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Question
I thought there is only ONE faith and it is a gift

Eph_2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

Explain what do you mean by "correct faith?"

Eph_1:13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

4) "In whom also after that ye believed" (en ho kai pisteusantes) "in whom also (when) ye believed," or having fully believed. The Holy Spirit quickens every believer to life eternal and seals the stamp of divine ownership upon him to eternal life, Joh_6:63; Joh_10:27-29; 1Jn_5:13.

Joh 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

Joh 10:28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

Joh 10:29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

1Jn 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

5) "Ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise" (esphragisthete to pneumati tes epangelias to hagio) "With the Holy Spirit of promise." This seal is heaven's stamp of eternal ownership of the sealed property, 2Ti_2:19; Eph_4:30. If salvation could ever be lost, it would have to be after the resurrection of the body of the believer; for until the redemption of the body (the purchased (paid for) possession of every believer), one is sealed. See also Rom_8:23.

Ye were sealed
(ἐσφραγίσθητε)
See on Joh_3:33; see on Rev_22:10. Sealed with the assurance of the Holy Spirit. Rom_8:16; 2Co_1:22; 2Ti_2:19.
Spirit of promise
Strictly, the promise. Denoting the promise as characteristic of the Holy Spirit: the Spirit which was announced by promise. See Act_2:16 sqq.; Joe_2:28; Zec_12:10; Isa_32:15; Isa_44:3; Joh_7:39; Act_1:4-8; Gal_3:14.

Not interested in the sealing of the Ruach haKodesh? Water baptism only?

Blessings
J.

christian sacrament unlike John’s baptism of preparation and repentance includes fire and the spirit and grace from the merits of Jesus’s blood and death

Correct faith

That which is revealed by Christ and taught by his church without error!

the five Protestant Solas are error!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
christian sacrament unlike John’s baptism of preparation and repentance includes fire and the spirit and grace from the merits of Jesus’s blood and death

Correct faith

That which is revealed by Christ and taught by his church without error!

the five Protestant Solas are error!
Please unpack the 5 Sola's and show me, point by point, how that is error?
Blessings
J.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We put on Christ by baptism
We begin our new life as Christians by undergoing full immersion baptism in recognition of the role played by the Father, his Son and his Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19-20) in the journey that has led them to dedicate their lives as disciples of God’s son…..to do the will of God’s will first in their lives. It is not the physical act of baptism, but what it symbolizes that is important. No infant can make the life changing decision to become a disciple of Jesus Christ.

become members of christ with initiation in the new covenant by baptism
The first Christians understood what baptism meant because John the Baptist had been sent by God ahead of his Christ to prepare them. Baptism was not a Jewish practice. John’s baptism was for repentance over breaches of God’s law, putting the respondents in the right mental and spiritual condition to accept the “one coming after him”. But those baptized by John, had to be baptized again in the name of Jesus Christ, showing us that baptism had to be undertaken in full knowledge of what it meant. It was a symbolic ‘death’ to a former life course and a ‘rising up’ to do God’s will first in life. Sprinkling water has no validity.

Christ’s baptism was not to repent of former sins because he had none. His baptism was to undertake his role as Messiah….the very reason for his earthly existence.
Christian baptism is the beginning of a new life as Christ’s disciple. We become accountable for our conduct from that day forward, remembering how God feels about hypocrites. (Matthew 23:13-15)

born again by baptism
What does it mean to be “born again”? It was a mysterious new concept in Jesus’ teachings. His conversation with Nicodemus indicates that it was not yet understood what that meant. (John 3:1-3) The Holy Spirit revealed everything at Pentecost and only then did the disciples understand the meaning of spiritual ‘rebirth’….the shedding of their physical body to be ‘reborn’ as spirit beings to take up life in heaven.

The Jews were expecting their Messiah to be a strong political leader who would liberate them from Roman domination and establish his kingdom on earth with them as the main feature of that arrangement. Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would reveal all to his disciples after his ascension. (Acts 1:6-9) The reality of what that meant needed the aid of the Holy Spirit, anointing them for life in heaven…..but this is only for the “elect”….those with “the heavenly calling”. (Hebrews 3:1) These would be “kings and priests” with Christ in his Kingdom. (Revelation 20:6) Not all Christians are part of that group…..
1 Corinthians 1:1-2….
“Paul, called by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and Sosthenes our brother, to the Church of God in Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord as well as ours. (NCB)

Not all Christians receive the “calling” to be “Saints”. (Romans 1:7)

why refuse eternal life to infants?
No one refuses eternal life to infants because God does not hold them accountable….he holds their parents accountable because its their job to instruct their children in Jehovah’s ways. (Deuteronomy 6:6-7)

As the apostle Paul explained when children are born into a religiously divided household…
“For the unbelieving husband is made holy through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy through her husband. Otherwise, your children would be unclean, whereas in fact they are holy.” (1 Corinthians 7:14 NCB)

So if a believer has a good standing with God, so do their children. That means that baptism is not necessary for minor children…they must consent to baptism for themselves when they are of age. There is no set age at which any person becomes accountable before God, but it not necessary to baptize infants, in case God wants to send them to a bad place if you don’t…that is ridiculous! What kind of God would do that?

All people including infants
Lk 1:10
Jn 1:29
Jn 3:16
You are inferring infant baptism in these scriptures? Where is it stated?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We begin our new life as Christians by undergoing full immersion baptism in recognition of the role played by the Father, his Son and his Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19-20) in the journey that has led them to dedicate their lives as disciples of God’s son…..to do the will of God’s will first in their lives. It is not the physical act of baptism, but what it symbolizes that is important. No infant can make the life changing decision to become a disciple of Jesus Christ.

The first Christians understood what baptism meant because John the Baptist had been sent by God ahead of his Christ to prepare them. Baptism was not a Jewish practice. John’s baptism was for repentance over breaches of God’s law, putting the respondents in the right mental and spiritual condition to accept the “one coming after him”. But those baptized by John, had to be baptized again in the name of Jesus Christ, showing us that baptism had to be undertaken in full knowledge of what it meant. It was a symbolic ‘death’ to a former life course and a ‘rising up’ to do God’s will first in life. Sprinkling water has no validity.

Christ’s baptism was not to repent of former sins because he had none. His baptism was to undertake his role as Messiah….the very reason for his earthly existence.
Christian baptism is the beginning of a new life as Christ’s disciple. We become accountable for our conduct from that day forward, remembering how God feels about hypocrites. (Matthew 23:13-15)

What does it mean to be “born again”? It was a mysterious new concept in Jesus’ teachings. His conversation with Nicodemus indicates that it was not yet understood what that meant. (John 3:1-3) The Holy Spirit revealed everything at Pentecost and only then did the disciples understand the meaning of spiritual ‘rebirth’….the shedding of their physical body to be ‘reborn’ as spirit beings to take up life in heaven.

The Jews were expecting their Messiah to be a strong political leader who would liberate them from Roman domination and establish his kingdom on earth with them as the main feature of that arrangement. Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would reveal all to his disciples after his ascension. (Acts 1:6-9) The reality of what that meant needed the aid of the Holy Spirit, anointing them for life in heaven…..but this is only for the “elect”….those with “the heavenly calling”. (Hebrews 3:1) These would be “kings and priests” with Christ in his Kingdom. (Revelation 20:6) Not all Christians are part of that group…..
1 Corinthians 1:1-2….
“Paul, called by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and Sosthenes our brother, to the Church of God in Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord as well as ours. (NCB)

Not all Christians receive the “calling” to be “Saints”. (Romans 1:7)

No one refuses eternal life to infants because God does not hold them accountable….he holds their parents accountable because its their job to instruct their children in Jehovah’s ways. (Deuteronomy 6:6-7)

As the apostle Paul explained when children are born into a religiously divided household…
“For the unbelieving husband is made holy through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy through her husband. Otherwise, your children would be unclean, whereas in fact they are holy.” (1 Corinthians 7:14 NCB)

So if a believer has a good standing with God, so do their children. That means that baptism is not necessary for minor children…they must consent to baptism for themselves when they are of age. There is no set age at which any person becomes accountable before God, but it not necessary to baptize infants, in case God wants to send them to a bad place if you don’t…that is ridiculous! What kind of God would do that?

You are inferring infant baptism in these scriptures? Where is it stated?

where does it say “except infants?

Jesus said let the children come into me

Infants have no personal sin but they cannot go to heaven if they die with original sin?

where does it say only immersion?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 3:5 born again means baptismal regeneration
See vs 22 & 23

3:5 water and the spirit!
3:22 they did not preach “accept Jesus as personal savior”
But they baptized!
3:23 much water!

baptismal regeneration!!!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
where does it say “except infants?

Jesus said let the children come into me

Infants have no personal sin but they cannot go to heaven if they die with original sin?

where does it say only immersion?
Here is an example of someone talking but not listening.....you cannot take in any information unless your mind and heart are open.
Please go back and read my post to you again, but this time *listen* to what is being said. All of your questions are addressed if you just listen.

* no infant can undergo full immersion baptism as it could be life threatening.
There is no biblical requirement to baptize infants.

* no child is kept from Jesus because they are not sprinkled with water. Performance is not what God requires. Baptism has to be a personal, heartfelt choice. There is no ‘proxy’ arrangement.
All minor children are viewed as “holy” to God if their parents are viewed by him as “holy”. That is their responsibility.

* no child goes to heaven because this was never God’s purpose for the human race.
Only those chosen by God to rule with Christ in his heavenly Kingdom, will have that privilege. These are the ones who have ‘proven their faith to death’ and these will bring us back what we lost when Adam disobeyed God and brought sin into the world. Jesus came to cancel the debt that he left for all his children...(John 3:16)...and to restore the earth and mankind to God’s original paradise conditions.

Since the Bible does not teach that we have an immortal soul that leaves the body at death, all the dead, including children will sleep peacefully in their graves until the resurrection where Jesus himself promises that he will call all the dead back to life...(John 5:28-29)....this life, only with all the damage removed and the earth repaired.

Revelation 21:3-4 is a foregleam of what we can look forward to.....

“And I heard a loud voice proclaim from the throne: “Behold, God’s dwelling is with mankind; he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and he will be their God, God-with-them. He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will no longer be death. Neither will there be any mourning or crying or pain, for the old order has passed away.” (New Catholic Bible)

This is God being with “mankind” on earth....not in heaven. It was always His intention to restore his first purpose for the human race (Isaiah 55:11)...to live forever in paradise on earth. If Adam had never sinned, NO human would ever have gone to heaven, because no one would ever have died.
Jesus would never have come, and God would have ruled mankind from heaven for all eternity.

Please understand that what the Bible teaches is not what your church teaches...and never has.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The trinity doesn’t matter.
Sez who? If Jesus (the Word) is indeed God -- which is true -- then there are at least two divine persons in the Godhead. And since the Holy Spirit is identified as God, that makes it three. So does it matter? Absolutely, since there are three that bear witness in Heaven.

For there are three that bear record [witness] in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (1 John 5:7, KJV)

Reactions: theefaith

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sez who? If Jesus (the Word) is indeed God -- which is true -- then there are at least two divine persons in the Godhead. And since the Holy Spirit is identified as God, that makes it three. So does it matter? Absolutely, since there are three that bear witness in Heaven.

For there are three that bear record [witness] in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (1 John 5:7, KJV)
Spurious verse in an unreliable translation. :rolleyes: Time to ditch that dinosaur....

We should read that verse in context....to see what it doesn’t say.....

1 John 5:5-12....
“Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? This is he who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not by the water only but by the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree. If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God that he has borne concerning his Son. Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son. And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life”. (ESV)

Where is the trinity in that???? Where does it say that “the son of God” is “God”? o_O

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please unpack the 5 Sola's and show me, point by point, how that is error?
Blessings
J.

Five Solas or Protestant dogmas!

Faith alone

Christ alone

Grace alone

Bible alone

Glory to God alone

Protestantism is unbiblical!

Faith alone! That means faith alone! Period!
No sacraments ez 36:25-27 Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 acts 2:38-39 acts 8:36-38 Titus 3:5 1 pet 3:20-21
No obedience of faith rom 16:26
No repentance Lk 3:3
No suffering Mk 8:34 Mk 10:21 Phil 1:29
No hope rom 8:24
No charity 1 cor 13:2 1 cor 13:13
No love of God duet. 6:5
Prayer matt 7:7
No grace Jn 1:16-17
No patience Heb 10:36
No nothing but faith alone!
Alone means alone!

Rom 8: 24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Three things are eternal (and therefore inseparable) faith, hope, & charity, and the greatest of these is charity! 1 cor 13

And never “faith alone”!

Rev. 2 I know thy works! I thought faith alone is all that mattered?

Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

How can salvation be by faith alone in Christ alone thru grace alone?

Faith alone?

1 cor 13:2 and 13:13, Phil 1:29, James 2:24 Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 Titus 3:5 oppose faith alone!

1 cor 13:2 “all faith” without charity avails nothing, nada!

“Faith alone” is heresy!
Hersey is treason against God!

Christ alone?

John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Romans 4:24
But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

Not Christ alone must also believe on the Father who sent Christ!

Grace alone?

Mk 16:16 faith and baptism!
Jn 3:5 water and the spirit! Ez 36:25-27
Acts 2:38-39 the promise of the father, sacred oath is a sacrament!

Not grace alone but, grace thru baptism of water and the spirit, and a new heart full of love of God!

Matt 5:7 merciful receive mercy
Lk 7:47 forgiven by love
1 pet 4:8 charity covers sins
Jn 20:21-23 sins forgiven

Acts 22:15 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Jn 3:5 and Titus 3:5 born again refers to baptismal regeneration

Context of Jn 3:5 “born again”

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Born again means Baptismal regeneration!

Paul never taught justification by “faith alone”!

Did not Paul write these scriptures?

1 cor 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

Three things are eternal (and therefore inseparable) faith, hope, & charity, and the greatest of these is charity! 1 cor 13:13

Phil 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Other scriptures opposing “faith alone”

Matt 5:7 mercy thru merciful
Lk 7:47 forgiven by love
1 pet 4:8 charity covers sins
Jn 20:21-23 sins forgiven

Bible alone?

The doctrine of the “Bible alone” or the “Bible is the only source of authority”

Deny’s the divine tradition: Christ teaching the apostles in person.

Deny’s the power of the Holy Spirit: to guide the apostles into all truth, Jn 16:13 and to governing the church. And be witnesses for Christ. Acts 1:8

Deny’s the apostolic tradition:
Authority to define scripture:
Authority to interpret scripture:
Authority to teach the entire divine revelation.

Denys the authority other than the “Bible alone! Including
Divine authority
Apostolic authority
angelic authority
Civil authority
Parental authority

Restricts the divine revelation and the word of God to scripture alone.

Provides no authority to know what is scripture.
Provides no authority to know what is not scripture.
Provides no authority to safeguard and protect scripture from errors.
Provides no authority to teach scripture without error.
Provides no authority to interpret scripture.

Reasons to oppose the doctrine of the “Bible alone”

Blind or illiterate and cannot read scripture. (Most people before the 20th century were illiterate)
Rare & Expensive (even after the printing press)
Faith comets by hearing not reading.

The Bible alone does not teach the doctrine of the “Bible alone”.

Biblical reference to authority other than the Bible alone.
Matt 16:18-19
Matt 18:18
Matt 28:18-20
Matt 18:17
Jn 20:21-23
Acts 2:42
Acts 8:31
1 Tim 3:15

When God called abram, Moses, the prophets, John the Baptist, and apostles it was not by the “Bible alone” Lk 3:2 the word of God came to John in the wilderness… a book did not fall out of the sky.

There is no list of scripture in scripture!

How does a person know what books, chapters, and verses are scripture and which ones are not?

The word of God is not limited to the “Bible alone”!

The word of God came to Abraham, to Moses, the prophets, and to John the Baptist in the wilderness (Lk3:2) but it did not come by the Bible, or the “Bible alone” not by any book, chapter, or verse!

Scripture all scripture is inspired, all the books and chapters of the canonical scripture authorized by Christ and His church!

The teaching authority of the apostles is the God breathed word of God!

Jn 20:23 He breathed on them (the apostles) and said receive the Holy Spirit…

Lk 10:16 he who hears you (the apostles) hears me. (Hears the word of God)

Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, I send you.

Acts 2:42 the doctrine of the apostles is the word of God!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 28:18-20

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

1 Jn 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ

1 Jn 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

(The apostles received the word of God and handed it down to us, partly in the scripture)

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

All scripture is inspired! 2 Tim 3:16
(Not only 66 books with missing chapters)

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.

Did the apostle John possess the truth? Or only when He wrote it down did it become the truth?

Is what He taught only mere human tradition of men? But what He wrote was the inspired word?

Why is there joy complete in the person of the apostle?

The doctrine of the “Bible alone”
or that the church believes by the “Bible alone” is a heresy!

The truth is revealed by God thru Christ and taught by His church with the unity of the spirit and obedience of faith! Jude 1:3 Matt 28:19
One shepherd & on flock!
Jn 10:16

Scripture challenge!

Show me from or in “the Bible alone”?

1) a list (not contents) of the Ten Commandments.

2) what things is Lk 1:49 referring to.

3) what Christ commanded his apostles in Matt 28:20

4) a list of scripture (books chapters) in scripture?

Not in Bible not important
Acts 8 the eunuch had scripture, God sent an apostle to teach him!
Lk 3:2 the word of God came unto John in the wilderness, a book did not fall out of the sky!
Jn 21:25 many more things than those in scripture!
2 Jn 1:12 the apostle in person makes their joy complete not scripture!

Essential doctrine:
Some doctrines are necessary and some are not is error, it is unlawful and forbidden to reject a truth revealed by God, who can neither deceive or be deceived.

Examples of oral tradition! (Teaching)

Peter speaks at Pentecost acts 2
Paul speaks at Athens acts
Even Christ teaching the divine revelation to His apostles in person.

WHEN???

When did it become divine revelation?
When did it become the inspired word of God?

When it was Spoken by Christ to His apostles?

When it was taught by the apostles?

When it was Written down decades latter?

When it was canonized by the supreme Roman pontiff in 381?

When did it become the inspired word of God?

If only when written down (Bible alone) then when it was spoken it should have been rejected as mere human tradition or the tradition of men, and therefore they would not possess the truths revealed by God and could not write scripture!

If you believe the false doctrine of the “Bible alone is the only authority” then you must reject the authority of Christ and His apostles!

It is an error to believe that the office or authority of the apostles ended with the apostle John and public revelation, revelation was complete with the apostle John but the teaching authority or office of the apostles must continue till the return of Jesus Christ! Matt 28:19-20 I am with you (the apostles) unto the end of the world.

Tongues of fire at Pentecost represent the light of divine Truth and the fire of divine Love!

The apostles possessed the Authority of Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit in their persons! Acts 1:8 2 Jn 1:12

Glory to God alone?

2 Thessalonians 1:10
When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Rev 12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth must be revealed by God, and in its fullness in the sacred deposit of faith by Christ to his church! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 and must be taught by the church, or proposed for our belief by the apostles!
Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Jn 20:21 acts 8:31 Rom 1:5 col 2:7 1 Tim 3:15 matt 18:17

the solas were not revealed by Christ and not proposed by holy church for our belief!!!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

yes onward!

the nature of God matters immensely!

it is the basis of our worship and belief and therefore our salvation!