Can you serve God in a false religion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
Episkopos said:
I don't call people who simply disagree with the Catholic Church, "Anti-Catholic".
I reserve that moniker for those who lie about what the Church teaches, revise history and sling repugnant names at us - like that pointy hat slur you just made.
Are you arguing over the sharpness of head gear here? Clothing doesn't actually make the man.

As for the Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15 - you have no idea what you're talking about. The PLACE had nothing to do with the Authority that was displayed there - just as the physical location of Rome has nothing to do with the Church's God-given authority now. The fact is that Peter and the rest of the apostles had the Authority given them by Jesus. This is not earthly Authority. Jesus told them that WHATEVER the Church ordained on earth would be ordained in Heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 20:21-23).
Here you are arguing my point! Then what is with all the ranting about the primacy of Rome (a physical place)? What is that all about! I do know what I'm talking about or else I would have let you continue to distort the truth! Are you then standing up for the "mystical" Rome rather than an earthly place called Rome. Do you know what you believe? Why this emphasis on an earthly seat of power?

The Apostles, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit made the decision to not expect the Gentiles to conform to Jewish Law because the Holy spirit was to guide the Church to ALL truth - just as Jesus told them in John 16:12-15.
So much for your absurd claims about "earthly" authority . .
So much for your notion of the primacy of earthly Rome.

Your failure here is one of CONTEXT.

The city of Rome is not what is important. It is the CHURCH at Rome that has Primacy - NOT Rome itself. It has Primacy because the bishop of Rome is the Successor to Peter, who had God-given Primacy over the Apostles and the Church (Matt. 16:18-19, Luke 22:32, John 21:15-19). This doesn't get any simpler.

Amazing . . .

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ChurchAuthority said:
Your failure here is one of CONTEXT.

The city of Rome is not what is important. It is the CHURCH at Rome that has Primacy - NOT Rome itself. It has Primacy because the bishop of Rome is the Successor to Peter, who had God-given Primacy over the Apostles and the Church (Matt. 16:18-19, Luke 22:32, John 21:15-19). This doesn't get any simpler.

Amazing . . .

There is no primacy of any church in a given location! We covered that already. If there was a primacy it would be Jerusalem. But every church is connected directly to God. Christ is the only Head of the church in any sense we can see it.

Peter is not the head of the church. Jesus Christ is!

Col_1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

1Co_11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Truly amazing! ;)

Reactions: faithfulness

domenic

Apr 5, 2013
I've come to the conclusion you are just a troll.
Okay, if we are going to talk kid talk with your name calling, (TROLL) I'll step down to your level of talk.

"Sticks, and stones my break my bones, but names will never hurt me>"

Your religion by the control it seems to have over you, sounds like a cult...same as the JW's.

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
Episkopos said:
There is no primacy of any church in a given location! We covered that already. If there was a primacy it would be Jerusalem. But every church is connected directly to God. Christ is the only Head of the church in any sense we can see it.

Peter is not the head of the church. Jesus Christ is!

Col_1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

1Co_11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Truly amazing!
Matt 16:18-19
"And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

2 Thess 2:15
"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a letter from US."

Luke 10:16
"Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming. He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you. Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

Tell me something, My anti-Catholic friend - what part of the following sentence you you have difficulty understanding?
Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

Authority.
Truly amazing, indeed . . .

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ChurchAuthority said:
Matt 16:18-19
"And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

2 Thess 2:15
"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a letter from US."

Luke 10:16
"Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming. He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you. Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

Tell me something, My anti-Catholic friend - what part of the following sentence you you have difficulty understanding?
Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

Authority.
Truly amazing, indeed . . .

No bible verse about what Jesus said to Peter can be claimed by a sect so that they say...It is mine and not yours???

There is no Gentile nation that has the prerogative over what was given to a Jew.

The irony is that the Jews were the people of God. But then religious sects of the Gentiles spring up trying to be more of God than other sects! Why try to be so exclusive. That is the mark of a cult. Grace has been poured out on all nations. God still chooses His own...no need for ring kissing. The whole thing is ridiculous. Natural Israel was about a succession. But God chooses His own prophets and spokesmen as He pleases. These are never accepted by the men who appoint themselves to places of religious "magisteriums". It is the same as it ever was. The Pharisees enlarge their garments and demand the type of respect that only Christ should have.

Mat_23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
Mat 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
Mat 23:11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant

The head of every man is Christ. All pretenders should step aside.

domenic

Apr 5, 2013
No bible verse about what Jesus said to Peter can be claimed by a sect so that they say...It is mine and not yours???

There is no Gentile nation that has the prerogative over what was given to a Jew.

The irony is that the Jews were the people of God. But then religious sects of the Gentiles spring up trying to be more of God than other sects! Why try to be so exclusive. That is the mark of a cult. Grace has been poured out on all nations. God still chooses His own...no need for ring kissing. The whole thing is ridiculous. Natural Israel was about a succession. But God chooses His own prophets and spokesmen as He pleases. These are never accepted by the men who appoint themselves to places of religious "magisteriums". It is the same as it ever was. The Pharisees enlarge their garments and demand the type of respect that only Christ should have.

Mat_23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
Mat 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Well spoken.

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
Episkopos said:

The thing I find the most interesting when speaking to Protestant or Messianic Jews is that you all seem to think that Jesus came to do everything differently.
Jesus came to FULFILL - not to abolish (Matt. 5:17). By fulfilling the shadows of the Law - He PERFECTED it. If you see similarities between the Catholic Church and Israel of the Old Testament - it is no accident.

NT fulfillments are always more glorious and perfect than their OT types. This is without exception. In the OT, you had
As St. Augustine so wisely stated, "The New Testament lies hidden in the Old Testament and the Old is revealed in the New."

It also strikes me as interesting that you chose "Episkopos" as your username - wich is a title of an ecclesiastical hierarchy, yet you seem to reject ecclesiastical hierarchy. Interesting, indeed . . .

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ChurchAuthority said:
The thing I find the most interesting when speaking to Protestant or Messianic Jews is that you all seem to think that Jesus came to do everything differently.
Jesus came to FULFILL - not to abolish (Matt. 5:17). By fulfilling the shadows of the Law - He PERFECTED it. If you see similarities between the Catholic Church and Israel of the Old Testament - it is no accident.

NT fulfillments are always more glorious and perfect than their OT types. This is without exception. In the OT, you had
As St. Augustine so wisely stated, "The New Testament lies hidden in the Old Testament and the Old is revealed in the New."

It also strikes me as interesting that you chose "Episkopos" as your username - wich is a title of an ecclesiastical hierarchy, yet you seem to reject ecclesiastical hierarchy. Interesting, indeed . . .

As you no doubt know episkopos has to do with the visitation of God and being inspected by God. It can also mean overseer!

The New Testament lies hidden in the Old Testament and the Old is revealed in the New."

Exactly!!

Through Christ we fulfill the law in the newness of the Spirit of life in Christ and not through a vain work of religious maneuverings

Actually it is not business as usual: with a new covenant comes a new wineskin to contain the different kind of life. Rituals that were just a shadow are now fulfilled in the power of a new life. ALL followers of Christ are equal....we are a nation of priests. So we have grown out of rituals that foretell of a future reality...and partake of the fulfillment according to a new life from heaven. As such we walk as Jesus walked and see as He saw. So the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us that walk according to the Spirit.

As disciples we forsake all things pertaining to this world in order to live a common life as the community of the saints...which is the light of the world. So we BECOME the church in truth. We bear witness to a resurrected life of victory over sin, the world and the devil.

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
Episkopos said:
As you no doubt know episkopos has to do with the visitation of God and being inspected by God. It can also mean overseer!

The New Testament lies hidden in the Old Testament and the Old is revealed in the New."

Exactly!!

Through Christ we fulfill the law in the newness of the Spirit of life in Christ and not through a vain work of religious maneuverings

Actually it is not business as usual: with a new covenant comes a new wineskin to contain the different kind of life. Rituals that were just a shadow are now fulfilled in the power of a new life. ALL followers of Christ are equal....we are a nation of priests. So we have grown out of rituals that foretell of a future reality...and partake of the fulfillment according to a new life from heaven. As such we walk as Jesus walked and see as He saw. So the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us that walk according to the Spirit.

As disciples we forsake all things pertaining to this world in order to live a common life as the community of the saints...which is the light of the world. So we BECOME the church in truth. We bear witness to a resurrected life of victory over sin, the world and the devil.
WRONG.
In the Old Testament, there were three levels of Priests: Aaron, the High Priest, the Levitical Priesthood, and the rest of the people were a general priesthood of believers.

In the New Testament, there are also three levels of Priests: Jesus, our High Priest (1 Tim. 2:5, Heb. 7:22-25), the Ministerial/Levitical Priests (James 5:14-15) and the general priesthood of all Christians (1 Peter 2:5-9).
Just as with all New Testament fulfillments, the fulfillment is always more glorious and perfect than the Old Testament type.

Finally, in the Epistle of Jude, we read the warning about those who would usurp Church Authority by assuming the ministerial priesthood without the Church’s consent (Jude 1:11). In this passage he compares them to the rebellion of Korah and their subsequent punishment (Numbers 16:1-35; 31:16).

James 5:14-15 “If anyone is sick, let him call on the elders (presbuteros/priests) of the Church. They shall pray for him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. The prayer said in faith will save the sick person; the Lord will raise him up and if he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.”

In 2 Cor. 2:10, Paul tells speaks of the ministerial priesthood and the ministry of Reconciliation when he writes: “Whomever you forgive anything, so do I. For indeed what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven for you in the presence of Christ.”

Three chapters later he further illustrates this priestly power in 2 Cor. 5:18-20: “And all this is from God, who has reconciled us to himself through Christ and given us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting their trespasses against them and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, as if God were appealing through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”

Even Protestant churches have hierarchies with their "elders" and Pastors.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ChurchAuthority said:
WRONG.
In the Old Testament, there were three levels of Priests: Aaron, the High Priest, the Levitical Priesthood, and the rest of the people were a general priesthood of believers.

In the New Testament, there are also three levels of Priests: Jesus, our High Priest (1 Tim. 2:5, Heb. 7:22-25), the Ministerial/Levitical Priests (James 5:14-15) and the general priesthood of all Christians (1 Peter 2:5-9).
Just as with all New Testament fulfillments, the fulfillment is always more glorious and perfect than the Old Testament type.

Finally, in the Epistle of Jude, we read the warning about those who would usurp Church Authority by assuming the ministerial priesthood without the Church’s consent (Jude 1:11). In this passage he compares them to the rebellion of Korah and their subsequent punishment (Numbers 16:1-35; 31:16).

James 5:14-15 “If anyone is sick, let him call on the elders (presbuteros/priests) of the Church. They shall pray for him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. The prayer said in faith will save the sick person; the Lord will raise him up and if he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.”

In 2 Cor. 2:10, Paul tells speaks of the ministerial priesthood and the ministry of Reconciliation when he writes: “Whomever you forgive anything, so do I. For indeed what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven for you in the presence of Christ.”

Three chapters later he further illustrates this priestly power in 2 Cor. 5:18-20: “And all this is from God, who has reconciled us to himself through Christ and given us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting their trespasses against them and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, as if God were appealing through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”

Even Protestant churches have hierarchies with their "elders" and Pastors.
Are you saying it is wrong to walk by the Spirit?

There were no 3 levels of priesthood...just one. The high priest is the first among equals. The common populace were not priests. They did not serve in the temple. There is no higher priesthood on earth than to walk in holiness in the presence of God. But human institutions look to humanly educated men in religion and put robes on them. They think this LOOKS respectable to the carnal eye...so that's what they do. This is a caricature of what church is supposed to be!

Religious institutions are looking for the sacred. They are looking for icons and idols that impress the ignorant "masses". But they miss the reality of the brotherhood and unity of those in Christ.

True Christians have no hierarchies. Elders are to be examples to the flock and serve rather than take the highest place. They should take the lowest place and give an example.

For somebody who belongs to an institution that even the mafia calls home...you are very arrogant.

For the love of a man made church..you have become anti-Christian

It is no coincidence that we are discussing Catholic issues on a thread about "false religions".

Many of the doctrinal positions of the RC church are good...but as Jesus said...Do as they say but not as they do! The application and practice of any religion is false. How much more one that is as pompous as the RC church?

Isa_5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

Isa 5:15 And the mean man shall be brought down, and the mighty man shall be humbled, and the eyes of the lofty shall be humbled:

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
Episkopos said:
Are you saying it is wrong to walk by the Spirit?

There were no 3 levels of priesthood...just one. The high priest is the first among equals. The common populace were not priests. They did not serve in the temple. There is no higher priesthood on earth than to walk in holiness in the presence of God. But human institutions look to humanly educated men in religion and put robes on them. They think this LOOKS respectable to the carnal eye...so that's what they do. This is a caricature of what church is supposed to be!

Religious institutions are looking for the sacred. They are looking for icons and idols that impress the ignorant "masses". But they miss the reality of the brotherhood and unity of those in Christ.

True Christians have no hierarchies. Elders are to be examples to the flock and serve rather than take the highest place. They should take the lowest place and give an example.

For somebody who belongs to an institution that even the mafia calls home...you are very arrogant.

For the love of a man made church..you have become anti-Christian

It is no coincidence that we are discussing Catholic issues on a thread about "false religions".

Many of the doctrinal positions of the RC church are good...but as Jesus said...Do as they say but not as they do! The application and practice of any religion is false. How much more one that is as pompous as the RC church?

Isa_5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

Isa 5:15 And the mean man shall be brought down, and the mighty man shall be humbled, and the eyes of the lofty shall be humbled:
True Christians have no hierarchies?? REALLY??
Go into any Protestant church tomorrow and tell the pastor that YOU are going to deliver the sermon on Sunday and that his services are no longer required.
Tell me what he says.

As for your charge that my love of the Church has made me anti-Christian - you are speaking out of complete and total ignorance of what the Church is.
The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31, Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).

Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6).

Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15)

The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15)

The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23)

Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5)

It's not Jesus or the Church - it's BOTH together. Jesus and His Church cannot be separated.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ChurchAuthority said:
Go into any Protestant church tomorrow and tell the pastor that YOU are going to deliver the sermon on Sunday and that his services are no longer required.
Tell me what he says.

As for your charge that my love of the Church has made me anti-Christian - you are speaking out of complete and total ignorance of what the Church is.
The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31, Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).

Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15)

It's not Jesus or the Church - it's BOTH together. Jesus and His Church cannot be separated.
Tell me what he says.

Where did I say that Protestants are true Christians? You are just contrasting two flavours from the same barrel. ALL religious institutions are governed by the devil. You must "COME OUT" of the world to be the actual "ECCLESIA" (called out ones)

Total ignorance involves inventing a church that goes DIRECTLY against the biblical commands. Read the bible...check to see if your priest follows what Paul says to do...then see the difference! There is NO similarity at all.

The disciple has the Holy Spirit within him. The temple is the body of the believer. So we don't need for man made systems that build buildings with a sign that says church on it.

If you really understood what you were saying you would forsake that which makes a mockery of what you are saying. But you are indoctrinated and brainwashed into thinking the church IS actually a human institution that has funny looking buildings with bells in steeples.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Episkopos said:

When people resort to diversions you know they've lost the argument,

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mungo said:
When people resort to diversions you know they've lost the argument,

People who divert the bible from it's intended outcome will lose their souls!

Taking a stand against the truth in order to defend a human organization that claims to be the personal embodiment of truth is folly in the grandest scale.

We check the veracity of cults against the bible all the time. The RC is a cult by the very definition of a cult. The cult of Mary the Queen of heaven is an old cult. But all such cults are forbidden by the bible. Bowing down before the statue of a goddess is the highest order of idolatry...but your pope does this to show the world his example. Such veneration is seen as exemplary!!!

I have seen such aberrations in all the religious sects...even a protestant "minister" blessing bombs (that will massacre people) on an aircraft carrier! But RC priests also do this.

Let's face it...religious institutions are evil with a nice showing to cover it up! Same as it always was! Jesus calls these...whitewashed tombs!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Episkopos said:
People who divert the bible from it's intended outcome will lose their souls!

Taking a stand against the truth in order to defend a human organization that claims to be the personal embodiment of truth is folly in the grandest scale.

We check the veracity of cults against the bible all the time. The RC is a cult by the very definition of a cult. The cult of Mary the Queen of heaven is an old cult. But all such cults are forbidden by the bible. Bowing down before the statue of a goddess is the highest order of idolatry...but your pope does this to show the world his example. Such veneration is seen as exemplary!!!

I have seen such aberrations in all the religious sects...even a protestant "minister" blessing bombs (that will massacre people) on an aircraft carrier! But RC priests also do this.

Let's face it...religious institutions are evil with a nice showing to cover it up! Same as it always was! Jesus calls these...whitewashed tombs!
Wow. You really have lost it!

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
Episkopos said:
The disciple has the Holy Spirit within him. The temple is the body of the believer. So we don't need for man made systems that build buildings with a sign that says church on it.

If you really understood what you were saying you would forsake that which makes a mockery of what you are saying. But you are indoctrinated and brainwashed into thinking the church IS actually a human institution that has funny looking buildings with bells in steeples.
You're precisely what is wrong with the rebellion and disobedience that came out of the Protestant Revolt. Like it or not - you ARE a Protestant because you protest the Church that was established by Jesus Christ. Whether you're a Christian or not remains to be seen. There are a LOT of pseudo-Christians on this forum who deny the Trinity or the deity of Jesus Christ or Trinitarian Baptism, etc.

The reason I say that your approach to Christ is wrong is because you think that the Word of God is open for millions of different interpretations from everybody, which only causes confusion and goes directly against the Scriptures. God is not the God of chaos. Jesus didn't promise complete and total confusion for His church. He prayed fevently for the UNITY of the Church (John 17) that it remain ONE as He and the Father are ONE. He said that it would not be left as an orphan (John 14:18).

YOUR Lone Ranger approach to Christianity is condemned by the Bible. There is no invisible Church that all "true believers" belong to. The Church is VISIBLE (Matt. 5:14-16). TRUE believers belong to His Church, His Body - and only ONE Church can make that claim: The Catholic Church.

Episkopos said:
You're absolutely right.
The Catholic Church was established by none other than Jesus Christ (Matt. 16:16-19) - not mere men.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree CA, however, it is important to be clear that Christ's Body extends past the Church Christ established on Earth - Blessed Pope John Paul II acknowledged this fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.