Cardinal Burke’s Novena

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

I’m not an expert on the subject but I‘m aware of what a novena is. (Others might benefit by having a Catholic member of the Board explain it.) My questions about it for Catholic members of the Board:

1. Will you be signing up for it? If not, why not?
2. Is this approved by the Vatican?
3. Is there anything unusual or controversial about this particular appeal?
4. Would Protestants be welcome to participate, if any should express a desire to?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I’m not an expert on the subject but I‘m aware of what a novena is. (Others might benefit by having a Catholic member of the Board explain it.) My questions about it for Catholic members of the Board:

1. Will you be signing up for it? If not, why not?
2. Is this approved by the Vatican?
3. Is there anything unusual or controversial about this particular appeal?
4. Would Protestants be welcome to participate, if any should express a desire to?
1. No. I don't participate in novenas. I just pray.
2. It is a person's personal decision to participate in nine days of private or public devotion (novena). Do YOU need approval by anyone to participate in public or private devotion (prayer)?
3. Is it unusual or controversial to ask for someone to pray for intersession when the world is being overtaken by evil?
4. Are Protestants welcome to pray for 9 days? Of course...God doesn't care if you are Protestant or Catholic when praying.

Mary

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1. No. I don't participate in novenas. I just pray.
2. It is a person's personal decision to participate in nine days of private or public devotion (novena). Do YOU need approval by anyone to participate in public or private devotion (prayer)?
3. Is it unusual or controversial to ask for someone to pray for intersession when the world is being overtaken by evil?
4. Are Protestants welcome to pray for 9 days? Of course...God doesn't care if you are Protestant or Catholic when praying.

Mary

Thanks. Why do you choose not to participate in novenas?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m neither Catholic nor Protestant but I just signed up to receive the novena emails. I’ve also just received the first email from Cardinal Burke.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. Why do you choose not to participate in novenas?
If one rarely prays, I can see a novena being an encouragement to pray. Kind of like going to aerobics class instead of saying you are going to do your aerobics at home for 9 days straight. Most people won't do the aerobics for 9 days straight at home but if they go to the class, they will complete the 9 days.

Mary

Reactions: Matthias

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m neither Catholic nor Protestant...signed up to receive the novena emails.
I have heard that theory before and I get different answers when I ask: If you are not Catholic or Protestant, what are you?

I hope those 9 days bring change to the world and you. (I'm not suggesting you need to change)

Respectfully, Mary

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
This will be a learning experience for me.

The message (a form letter) from Cardinal Burke:

“Dear Matthias,

There is great spiritual work to be done.

You no doubt know this well, which is perhaps one of the reasons you have decided to join me during our nine-month Novena to Our Lady of Guadalupe: our world is in need of God’s grace, and Our Lady‘s intercession is among the surest ways to secure it.

There are other reasons you may have decided to sign up. Perhaps you seek a greater relationship with the Most Blessed Virgin Mary. Maybe you want to grow in knowledge of the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe - a singular, defining moment in the history of the Americas and, indeed, the world. Or maybe you are looking to deepen your interior life through regular, heartfelt prayer.

Whatever your aim, know that I am glad you have chosen to join me in this spiritual undertaking, and humbled at the opportunity to help guide you during these nine months. If you give your time in this novena, and if you set your hearts, together with the Immaculate Heart of Mary, in the Sacred Heart of Her Son, she will never fail to intercede on your behalf, and He will never fail to provide an abundance of divine grace.

In the hope that you find this kind of instruction helpful and encouraging, I will send short video reflections each month to help you enter into this novena with all your heart. I will also provide regular written reflections, meditations, and prayers - all in an effort to help keep you under the protection of Mary’s Mantle and, there to find the truth and love of Her Divine Son.

Invoking God’s blessing upon you and your home, while confiding your intentions to the intercession of Our Lady of Guadalupe and Saint Juan Diego, I remain

Yours in the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and in the Purest Heart of Saint Joseph,

Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I'm not even going to ask you to clarify.....:IDK:

No problem. This thread is about a Catholic practice and Cardinal Burke.

My wife’s side of the family is Catholic. Several of them are (and others were when they were alive) priests, deacons and nuns. I’ll be asking them about this too when I get around to seeing them.

Thanks again. I appreciate your response to my inquiry.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
For anyone interested, here is the official novena prayer* -> to be prayed daily throughout the nine-month novena from March 12 to December 12,2024:

”O Virgin Mother of God, we fly to your protection and beg your intercession against the darkness and sin which ever more envelope the world and menace the Church. Your Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, gave you to us as our mother as He died on the Cross for our salvation. So too, in 1531, when darkness and sin beset us, He sent you, as Our Lady of Guadalupe, on Tepayac to lead us to Him Who alone is our light and our salvation.

Through your apparitions on Tepayac and your abiding presence with us on the miraculous mantle of your messenger, Saint Juan Diego, millions of souls converted to faith in your Divine Son. Through this novena and our consecration to you, we humbly implore your intercession for our daily conversion of life to Him and the conversion of millions more who do not yet believe in Him. In our homes and in our nation, lead us to Him Who alone wins the victory over sin and darkness in us and in the world.

Unite our hearts to your Immaculate Heart so that they may find their true and lasting home in the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Ever guide us along the pilgrimage of life to our eternal home with Him. So may our hearts, one with yours, always trust in God’s promise of salvation, in His never failing mercy toward all who turn to Him with a humble and contrite heart. Through this novena and our consecration to you, O Virgin of Guadalupe, lead all souls in America and throughout the world to your Divine Son in Whose name we pray. Amen.”

* Received by email, but also posted on the website

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For anyone interested, here is the official novena prayer* -> to be prayed daily throughout the nine-month novena from March 12 to December 12,2024:

”O Virgin Mother of God, we fly to your protection and beg your intercession against the darkness and sin which ever more envelope the world and menace the Church. Your Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, gave you to us as our mother as He died on the Cross for our salvation. So too, in 1531, when darkness and sin beset us, He sent you, as Our Lady of Guadalupe, on Tepayac to lead us to Him Who alone is our light and our salvation.

Through your apparitions on Tepayac and your abiding presence with us on the miraculous mantle of your messenger, Saint Juan Diego, millions of souls converted to faith in your Divine Son. Through this novena and our consecration to you, we humbly implore your intercession for our daily conversion of life to Him and the conversion of millions more who do not yet believe in Him. In our homes and in our nation, lead us to Him Who alone wins the victory over sin and darkness in us and in the world.

Unite our hearts to your Immaculate Heart so that they may find their true and lasting home in the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Ever guide us along the pilgrimage of life to our eternal home with Him. So may our hearts, one with yours, always trust in God’s promise of salvation, in His never failing mercy toward all who turn to Him with a humble and contrite heart. Through this novena and our consecration to you, O Virgin of Guadalupe, lead all souls in America and throughout the world to your Divine Son in Whose name we pray. Amen.”

* Received by email, but also posted on the website
May I ask you why you wish to pray to Mary for intercession, when Jesus is our intercessor? I am just asking.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
May I ask you why you wish to pray to Mary for intercession, when Jesus is our intercessor? I am just asking.

Thanks for asking. I don’t and won’t.

Perhaps one of the Catholic members of the Board will read this and give a response as if your question was respectfully addressed to them rather than to me.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for asking. I don’t and won’t.

Perhaps one of the Catholic members of the Board will read this and give a response as if your question was respectfully addressed to them rather than to me.
No, that is fine. I was just inquiring to you. I meant it respectfully addressed. I know why the RCs recognize Mary as an intercessor, as well as the saints. It's fine.