Catholicism v. Protestantism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jones12849

Jun 23, 2021
Montgomery Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could discuss what drew them to the Catholic church vs. a Protestant church, or vice versa. I just want to be sure I am a part of a church that follows the Bible and God's vision for the Church most closely. I was also wondering what the different views on salvation are. I have heard that Catholics believe in a works-based salvation and wasn't sure if this was really the case as I am not well versed in Catholicism.

All thoughts and opinions welcome. Thanks.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could discuss what drew them to the Catholic church vs. a Protestant church, or vice versa. I just want to be sure I am a part of a church that follows the Bible and God's vision for the Church most closely. I was also wondering what the different views on salvation are. I have heard that Catholics believe in a works-based salvation and wasn't sure if this was really the case as I am not well versed in Catholicism.

All thoughts and opinions welcome. Thanks.

Catholics believe we are saved by grace.
The argument about works based salvation depends on what is meant by works and what is meant by salvation in that context.

Jones12849

Jun 23, 2021
Montgomery Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholics believe we are saved by grace.
The argument about works based salvation depends on what is meant by works and what is meant by salvation in that context.
Appreciate your comment. Would you mind elaborating? I just want to ensure I am truly saved

Jones12849

Jun 23, 2021
Montgomery Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My advice to you is to search Scripture for the answers you seek and avoid all denominational dogma. The "church" ain't gonna save you
I am not inquiring about denominational dogma or seeking for the church to save me, rather I was seeking others opinions on which Church is the most theologically sound to grow in, because I know that being in church is important for me in my walk with Christ. Thanks.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which church are you a member of?

i have been a member of many but got so fed up with their false doctrines, traditions, churchianity, worldy slant that I no longer claim a denomination.

I suggest you do the same for the same reason.

That doesn't mean forsaking the assembly but do NOT allow them to control your learning or do your thinking for you.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Appreciate your comment. Would you mind elaborating? I just want to ensure I am truly saved
Honestly, that’s not the best question to ask here: pretty much every group* under the Christian umbrella acknowledges the very real relationship other folks have with Christ.
(*Im ignoring the haters here)

The biggest differences are theological. In my experience, the biggest question to ask are “what role do persons in the church play in helping God with His work?” If you’re a hard core “none!”, certain Protestant branches will likewise agree. If you’re a “they play a big role- people are meant to support each other, including men chosen by God”, that’s a non-Protestant answer. And of course there’s a spectrum in between.

Reactions: Jones12849

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, and everyone believed that salvation is a gift from God. And that true faith in God does involve a person taking action- Christ didn’t die for you so you can continue your same-old sinful non-repentant ways.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Jones12849

Jun 23, 2021
Montgomery Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have been a member of many but got so fed up with their false doctrines, traditions, churchianity, worldy slant that I no longer claim a denomination.

I suggest you do the same for the same reason.

That doesn't mean forsaking the assembly but do NOT allow them to control your learning or do your thinking for you.
I appreciate this advice. Thank you for your honesty!

Reactions: Nancy

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was wondering if someone could discuss what drew them to the Catholic church vs. a Protestant church, or vice versa.
Precious friend, Jones. You may want to Seriously Consider Scriptures first, and what
"drew me AWAY from both of them" = The Third Alternative: Right Division!
Simply put:
-----------------
Law And Prophecy

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15 KJB!) From “Things That DIFFER!”:

GRACE And MYSTERY
------------------
See "studies" in my signature below, Especially #'s 6 & 7...

Then, With (1Co 2:13) The Blessed Teacher's help, Compare Scriptures With:

"
what catholics and protestants teach, and then decide" for yourself, ok?
There are Many Questions to ask Both of them about Confusion of:

What God Is Doing, Today, Under GRACE! Many still UNanswered by Either!!

Please Be Richly Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, and Edified!
God's Simple Will!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hi,
This is one of those topics that goers on and on, and again and again, so I will respond to you but I'm not going to dragged into another long argument over salvation and baptism.

Salvation. For Catholics salvation has three aspects:
our initial salvation/justification
our ongoing salvation/justification
our final salvation/justification.
I think we are only referring here to our initial salvation/justification

Works. Protestants claim that Paul says we are not saved by works. But Paul actually says we are not saved by "works of the law".
Rom 3:20&28
20 For no human being will be justified in his sight by works of the law, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
28 For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law.

(He also uses the phrase works of the law in Gal 2:1, 3:2, 5 & 10)
By works of the law Paul means the Jewish (Mosaic) Law.

All Catholics, Orthodox and many Protestants believe we are initially saved/justified in baptism with water. This is scriptural (Mk16:16 & 1Pet 3:21). It is in baptism with water that we become "born again" (John 3:5), renewed by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5), our sins are forgiven (Acts 2:38), become members of Christ's body (1Cor 12:12-13 ), which is the Church (Eph 5:23.
Some Protestant believe we are saved by faith alone but the Bible never says that.

As a Catholic I believe that the Catholic Church is the Church that Jesus founded and all other groups have broken away from it. You will have to do your own research on that.
But whatever Church you decide to belong to make sure it practices baptism for salvation.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But whatever Church you decide to belong to make sure it practices baptism for salvation.

Jones, make sure you disregard everything in #13 as the bulk of it is flat out incorrect by a correct read of scripture.

Again, "baptism" simply means immersion/saturation- it has to have a qualifier to define the meaning in context.

"water baptism" is a man made public ceremony ( recommended but not mandated) where a believer identifies with the body.

Baptism of the Spirit is done by the Spirit and is the sealing of the believer.

"justification" is a by product of salvation- not a synonym.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Jones12849
Note that I gave you a lot of scriptures. An Apologetic Sheepdog gave you none - just his opinions.
Well over 70% of all Christians baptise for salvation. It's only the relatively recent sects, cults, "non-denominational (i.e. do it yourself) Christitians who do not.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Note that I gave you a lot of scriptures. An Apologetic Sheepdog gave you none - just his opinions.
Well over 70% of all Christians baptise for salvation. It's only the relatively recent sects, cults, "non-denominational (i.e. do it yourself) Christitians who do not.

All out of context and in error. Probably because you have too many humans of questionable intelligence and motives between the man and the CEO so much error creeps in.

Even still, you have yet to "correct" any of those points I made because legitimate doctrine overrides dogma 100% of the time.

Which one do you find error in?