Chinese Calvinism, Rapidly Growing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although Calvinism is shrinking in western Europe and North America, it is experiencing an extraordinary success in China. I spent some time on Monday talking to the Rev May Tan, from Singapore, where the overseas Chinese community has close links with mainland China. The story she told of the spread of Calvinist religion as an elite religion in China was quite extraordinary. There may be some parallels with the growth of Calvinism in South Korea, where the biggest presbyterian churches in the world are to be found, but it's absolutely unlike the pattern in Africa and Latin America. There, the fastest growing forms of Christianity are pentecostal, and they are spreading among the poor.

Article: http://www.guardian....in-christianity

Interesting.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I know a missionary from china, he married a Chinese lady, and the last I spoke with him his wife and two boys were going back.

the two major works of St Augustine, the Confessions and the City of God, into Chinese directly from Latin. Gradually all the major works of the first centuries of the Christian tradition are being translated directly from the original languages into Chinese.
Proverbs 18:17

Phil 1:15-18
[sup]15 [/sup]Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: [sup]16 [/sup]The former[sup][b][/sup] preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; [sup]17 [/sup]but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. [sup]18 [/sup]What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.