Christ Saved Us... What Do Good Works Do?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(In case you "remember" this post, I had shared it on another Christian Bible discussion site.)

Since we are saved by grace through faith in Christ, given to us by Christ, Christ is our Savior... but, then, what place do our works have?

I want to have a discussion, because I find discussing things with grace-filled Christians, even when they disagree with me, actually edifies me--and I often have difficulties with Scripture. I've learned so many answers come through bringing these difficulties to God in prayer, yet, I have also learned that carrying on the conversation with others, and having that interaction with Christians, actually helps that process along.

In the content below, isn't the "faith" referred to not with reference to "the finished work of Christ"--isn't "faith", here, something more akin to a Holy Spirit-granted conviction of what is right or wrong? Doesn't it describe instances of how we "serve in newness of spirit, not in oldness of the letter"? Isn't it a warning that if we choose to ignore those convictions, we will not be "justified" but "condemned" (the two being adjudications the Judge may make about one's life)?

If so, then James and Paul are saying the same thing: as Christians, we will live (be justified by the righteousness of serving in the newness of the Spirit, and, ultimately, "repaid" eternal life Ro 2:6-16) if we walk after the Spirit, but will die (be condemned for unrighteousness, and, ultimately, perish) if we walk after the flesh?

Romans 14
5Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind...
23But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

James 2
14What use is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone says he has faith, but he has no works? Can [j]that faith save him? 15If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, [k]be warmed and be filled,” yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17In the same way, faith also, if it has no works, is [l]dead, being by itself.
18But someone [m]may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” 19You believe that [n]God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20But are you willing to acknowledge, you foolish person, that faith without works is useless? 21Was our father Abraham not justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that faith was working with his works, and [o]as a result of the works, faith was [p]perfected; 23and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “AND ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS,” and he was called a friend of God. 24You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25In the same way, was Rahab, the prostitute, not justified by works also when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

I do affirm the necessity of "Christ saved me", as I believe I've mentioned, but, then, what place do good works have, especially considering they can affect our standing before God (if "sin" means you're "condemned", needing forgiveness, it seems it sin can compromise one's "justification")?

I look forward to God straightening me out, getting me in line with both His Word and the Spirit of His Word, not merely Its letter.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take a look at James 2:18 above: "I'll show you my faith by my works." If I understand Galatians 5:6 correctly ("For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love"), works of love should be the identity marker of those who are "In Christ Jesus".

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I prefer to think of "good works" as tasks the Heavenly Father gives His children to help us grow into whatever it is He intends for us to be.

Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. (1 John 3:2)

Besides, this world is crying out for a few good works.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take a look at James 2:18 above: "I'll show you my faith by my works." If I understand Galatians 5:6 correctly ("For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love"), works of love should be the identity marker of those who are "In Christ Jesus". It's better to show the world a work of love than to show them your circumcision scar.
James compares the persuasive power of mere words against a lifestyle--and it's for salvation and justification.

Galatians has a context: the Gentiles are being convinced by demonic doctrine to become Jewish--"neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts, but faith working through love" means "don't let yourselves be taken away from the truth--walk in faith that God authors in your hearts, not the Law".

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I prefer to think of "good works" as tasks the Heavenly Father gives His children to help us grow into whatever it is He intends for us to be.

Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. (1 John 3:2)

Besides, this world is crying out for a few good works.
So, your view would be that the works are not for salvation?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, your view would be that the works are not for salvation?
Nah, I just decided to stop worrying about salvation and just trust Jesus for that. Salvation shouldn't be the be-all, end-all goal anyway.

The classical Protestant position is that good works are evidence of and the result of spiritual regeneration, not the cause. "Make your calling and Election sure" (2 Peter 1:10). Or, good works are Man's proper and grateful response to the grace we've been given. But for an alternate view of good works as necessary for salvation, you can take a look at the Jesus's parable of the Sheep and Goats (Matthew 25:31-46). Either way, good works are... a good thing to do.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nah, I just decided to stop worrying about salvation and just trust Jesus for that. Salvation shouldn't be the be-all, end-all goal anyway.

The classical Protestant position is that good works are evidence of and the result of spiritual regeneration, not the cause. "Make your calling and Election sure" (2 Peter 1:10). Or, good works are Man's proper and grateful response to the grace we've been given. But for and alternate view of good works as necessary for salvation, you can take a look at the Jesus's parable of the Sheep and Goats (Matthew 25:31-46). Either way, good works are a good thing to do.
Yeah, I actually have to stand in "Christ saved me".

That said, above all, what matters is Scripture, which teaches that works are necessary for justification at the last judgment (Ro 2:6-16), and that we only reap eternal life from the Spirit if we live a life of good works (Gal 6), that the believer who does not walk in faith (but does things he doubts) has "sinned" and is "condemned" (Ro 14:5,23), and that God's righteous ones will be destroyed if they do not remain in faith, which includes works (abiding in Him is by keeping His command to believe in the Name of God's son AND love one another--there are two tables of the one Law of Faith, it's not just "Believe in the Name of God's Son") (10:35+; 1 Jn 2:28).

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Timothy 6:17-19
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The classical Protestant position is that good works are evidence of and the result of spiritual regeneration, not the cause. "Make your calling and Election sure" (2 Peter 1:10). Or, good works are Man's proper and grateful response to the grace we've been given. But for an alternate view of good works as necessary for salvation, you can take a look at the Jesus's parable of the Sheep and Goats (Matthew 25:31-46). Either way, good works are... a good thing to do.
This

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Christ Saved Us... What Do Good Works Do?​

-----------------------------------------------------

One thing is for sure, "good works" don't save you.
Well, we are saved by God's grace through faith in Christ, so that is correct, and, yet, Paul says if Christians don't live righteously, walking by faith after being saved, they can be "Condemned" for "sinning" (Ro 14:23; 1 Co 9:27-1 Co 10), which James also talks about (though he knows his audience is "saved" by grace through faith, he indicts them as "adulteresses" against God Ja 4--Ja 2 is a call to repentance, to add good works to their faith, if they want to be ultimately "saved" and "justified").

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

First of all…Once a person IS Converted…
his/her Good works is anything they DO…
That which Glorifies God.

He/She who DOES Good works, IS a debt unto God, For Which Christ the Lord Jesus shall reward, WHEN He returns.

ALL works that a person does that which Does Not Glorify God…Shall be Burned.

Glory to God,
Taken

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

First of all…Once a person IS Converted…
his/her Good works is anything they DO…
That which Glorifies God.

He/She who DOES Good works, IS a debt unto God, For Which Christ the Lord Jesus shall reward, WHEN He returns.

ALL works that a person does that which Does Not Glorify God…Shall be Burned.

Glory to God,
Taken
Yes, we're "saved" by God's grace through faith in Christ--and Paul says that that "salvation" is comparable to the "salvation" of the Jews from Egypt, and, just as they sinned and fell under God's wrath and forfeited the promise, that applies to Christians, including himself.

1 Corinthians 9:27 - 1 Corinthians 10:13
27But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
1For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; 2and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and all ate the same spiritual food; 4and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness.
6Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved. 7Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written, “THE PEOPLE SAT DOWN TO EAT AND DRINK, AND STOOD UP TO PLAY.” 8Nor let us act immorally, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day. 9Nor let us try the Lord, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the serpents. 10Nor grumble, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. 12Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall. 13No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

That is a copy-paste of a response I gave to another user. I think my response to a user here also applies:

Well, we are saved by God's grace through faith in Christ, so that is correct, and, yet, Paul says if Christians don't live righteously, walking by faith after being saved, they can be "Condemned" for "sinning" (Ro 14:23; 1 Co 9:27-1 Co 10), which James also talks about (though he knows his audience is "saved" by grace through faith, he indicts them as "adulteresses" against God Ja 4--Ja 2 is a call to repentance, to add good works to their faith, if they want to be ultimately "saved" and "justified").

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
a 4--Ja 2 is a call to repentance, to add good works to their faith, if they want to be ultimately "saved" and "justified").
If they want to be ultimately "saved" and "justified"?????
What kind of gospel are you preaching?

So, you are saying what Christ did on the Cross was not enough?

In addition we have to "work" ourselves into salvation.....????

Well, all I can say about that is : Good Luck saving yourself!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they want to be ultimately "saved" and "justified"?????
What kind of gospel are you preaching?

So, you are saying what Christ did on the Cross was not enough?

In addition we have to "work" ourselves into salvation.....????

Well, all I can say about that is : Good Luck saving yourself!
I'm just believing Scripture, sir; if you have an answer to the Scriptures I've supplied, I'm waiting.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.