Christians and Guns

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SkyWriting

May 19, 2019
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find it interesting that Jesus

A) Told His disciples to buy weapons (Luke 22:36)
B) Told them not to use them (John 18:11)

It's as if God allows his sheepdogs to bear their teeth, but doesn't want them actually biting.

God has allowed me to own guns, and I used them to protect people and myself by showing the attackers my weapon, which always was enough to scare them away (Praise God!). But now God has taken them away and I cannot own them.

As I read Foxes Book of Martyrs, I find it amazing that none of them took up weapons. They had decided beforehand that they would not fight with weapons to save their own lives or even the lives of their loved ones.

It's an interesting subject to me, as I believe we have a right by God's Law to defend our lives and other's lives with weapons, but Jesus and all the early Church show us the greater Way of yielding up our lives and the Right to defend ourselves for the sake of God.

What do you think? Would you as a Christian be willing to lay down your weapons and follow Christ even knowing they will kill you and even though you have the God-given right to defend yourself? Would you STILL be willing to lay down your life for Christ?

I think there is no hard rule for protecting your family. Opposing violence is opposing violent solutions as well.
But I don't deny others to choose violent solutions against aggression.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to distinguish between martyrdom [suffering and death for our faith and witness in Christ and God (as in Foxe's Book)] and self-defense and defense of family,friends, etc. under other circumstances (which is perfectly legitimate).
That is the distinguishing factor.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are good fake guns that will do the same job. Just don't tell anyone.

If you pull a real gun on someone but have no intention of using it, you are a fool. If you knowingly try and use a fake gun on someone, you are a bigger fool.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just read on the internet where a Florida woman with a gun held an intruder into her home at bay for 26 minutes before police arrived.

wwwfoxnews.com/us/florida-woman-holds-suspected-intruder-at-gunpoint-for-26-minutes

That's 26 minutes where her defense was 'her' responsibility after dialing 911. And she had children.

Praise God she had a gun.

Stranger

Reactions: Willie T

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just read on the internet where a Florida woman with a gun held an intruder into her home at bay for 26 minutes before police arrived.

wwwfoxnews.com/us/florida-woman-holds-suspected-intruder-at-gunpoint-for-26-minutes

That's 26 minutes where her defense was 'her' responsibility after dialing 911. And she had children.

Praise God she had a gun.

Stranger

So

We are responsible for our protection, not God?

In gun we trust

Reactions: Episkopos

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus says==Luke 22:36 he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am in favor of gun ownership - for sport.

So, those guns you have for 'sport'...if someone broke into your home with bad intentions for you and your family, you wouldn't pick up that gun that is for 'sport' and protect yourself and family?

Go ahead...lie to me.

Stranger

Last edited:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, those guns you have for 'sport'...if someone broke into your home with bad intentions for you and your family, you wouldn't pick up that gun that is for 'sport' and protect yourself and family?

Go ahead...lie to me.

Stranger

What difference would it make? Are you really so arrogant to believe that you can decide the will of God? It is God who protects us

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What difference would it make? Are you really so arrogant to believe that you can decide the will of God? It is God who protects us

Oh it makes a big difference. You are a bleeding heart liberal who wants to portray yourself as just trusting God for protection so others don't need guns for protection. Yet you have 'guns for sport'. Which you and I both know you would use on an intruder if you had to.

I have no problem God protecting us. I have no problem in God using my guns to protect us. And you don't either when push comes to shove. But you like to portray yourself as so spiritual that you don't need guns to defend yourself and so neither should anyone else.

What a blistering hypocrite you are.

Stranger

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh it makes a big difference. You are a bleeding heart liberal who wants to portray yourself as just trusting God for protection so others don't need guns for protection. Yet you have 'guns for sport'. Which you and I both know you would use on an intruder if you had to.

I have no problem God protecting us. I have no problem in God using my guns to protect us. And you don't either when push comes to shove. But you like to portray yourself as so spiritual that you don't need guns to defend yourself and so neither should anyone else.

What a blistering hypocrite you are.

Stranger

Nice strawman. I appreciate that you are honest enough to admit that your faith is weak and your arrogance has made up the difference. If you feel like you need to kill or maim your enemies - knock yourself out - but if you think it is going to stop the death or injury of you or your family if it is the will of God, you know nothing about God’s Sovereignty

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice strawman. I appreciate that you are honest enough to admit that your faith is weak and your arrogance has made up the difference. If you feel like you need to kill or maim your enemies - knock yourself out - but if you think it is going to stop the death or injury of you or your family if it is the will of God, you know nothing about God’s Sovereignty

So, lie to me....man pleaser. Tell me you wouldn't use your guns that are for 'sport' to protect your family. Perhaps I should by two guns. One for sport and one for self defense. Then, when an intruder comes in, I make sure I pick up the one for 'sport'. That way, it was Gods will. Because I didn't get that gun for protection. That way I can be a bleeding heart liberal and still maintain my facade.

So...go ahead and lie to me. Tell me you wouldn't use your 'gun for sport' to protect your family.

Stranger

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not own any guns. I said I am in favor of guns for sport.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not own any guns. I said I am in favor of guns for sport.

So what? That doesn't change my question to you? Should you use, or let's just say it is me, if I have guns for sport, should I use them to protect my family from an intruder?

Now lie to me.

Stranger

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what? That doesn't change my question to you? Should you use, or let's just say it is me, if I have guns for sport, should I use them to protect my family from an intruder?

Now lie to me.

Stranger

Well, besides sounding like a jerk and calling me a hypocrite, yeah so what.....

I already answered your question, perhaps you should actually go back and read my post, this time.
Hint: “knock yourself out”

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, besides sounding like a jerk and calling me a hypocrite, yeah so what.....

I already answered your question, perhaps you should actually go back and read my post, this time.
Hint: “knock yourself out”

No you didn't. If you or I have guns of 'sport', would you use them against an intruder in your home to protect your family?

Go ahead and lie to me. It looks better than saying you have answered my question when you haven't.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@aspen

And by the way...you never answered my question if you were disappointed that the woman had a gun. Were you? Did it trespass your liberal ideals?

Stranger

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I answered your question, but I see you have a need to control this conversation so I will play along for you. You’re welcome.

I do not own a gun, why would I claim to use a gun under any circumstance? Would you have an abortion if you were impregnated due to rape? Well, after shooting your rapist.....

A gun is a gun and you have been clear that your lack of faith and defective understanding of God’s Sovereignty has convinced you to own guns and given you a willingness to use them for protection. The law allows it and you seem to relish the opportunity to shoot someone, so I doubt you would ever limit a gun you own to be used simply for sport.

I would not shoot an intruder. You would.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@aspen

And by the way...you never answered my question if you were disappointed that the woman had a gun. Were you? Did it trespass your liberal ideals?

Stranger

She didn’t break any laws.