Christians Fighting Among Each Other

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
Hi, everyone:

I just have a few things that I feel like I need to say. The first thing is this:

While I’m not an admin or moderator of this forum, I believe that it needs to be brought to the attention of all of the members of the forum that very much fighting goes on here. A lot of you don’t need to be told this, obviously, but a lot do, as well. As believers in Christ, it’s not our call to fight. We may argue to a point, yes, but our call is to lovingly instruct each other in the ways that Christ would have us to do, not to fight over small facts.

(Arguing)
Proverbs 28:25 - A greedy man stirs up strife, but the one who trusts in the Lord will be enriched.
1 Timothy 2:8 - I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling;

(Teaching)
2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with
complete patience and teaching.

2 Timothy 2:15
- Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be
ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

We should never, EVER fight among one another just to prove that we’re right, but instead, listen to one another and humbly take their words into consideration. Try to understand their views to see if they’re correct in what they assume to be true about their Biblical teachings. There are false prophets all throughout the world who try to teach us things which are incorrect. We must ensure that not only are the words of our fellow believers are correct, but the words which we believe ourselves.

1 John 4:1 - Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for
many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Remember; people will be accountable for “every careless word they speak”. For every fight or squabble that is started, those who participate unlovingly and saying hateful things will always be held accountable for it. We sin enough as it is...do we really want to be called up for every argument we thought we were in the right for in this world, when we were really wrong?

Matthew 12:36-37 - 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,
37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

God never intended for us to be an angry people. God is love, and wishes for love among all of His people. It is our calling, first and foremost, to love one another.

1 Corinthians 13:13 - So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
1 Thessalonians 5:9 - For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
1 Corinthians 16:14 - Let all that you do be done in love.
1 John 4:8 - Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
1 John 4:19 - We love because he first loved us.

Leviticus 19:18 - You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you
shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

In everything that we do, no matter how much we want to argue, we need to stop, think, be self-controlled, and lovingly speak to each other instead of posting whatever arguement comes into our minds.

Galatians 5:22-26 - 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have
crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. 26 Let us
not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

These are the things that love IS. We need to remember these things in every way that we conduct our lives, both on the forums and off of the forums.

1 Corinthians 13:4-13 - 4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does
not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; [1] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the
truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Remember...does fighting, no matter what topic it’s over, bring anyone to know Christ better? Or does it alienate people, and make them not wish to listen, or participate in the conversation? I know this...I don’t feel welcome in most of the conversations here. I do post on occasion, but usually only because I feel as though God led me to do so...not because I feel accepted.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

God Bless! :)
-Calbhach

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hey Calbhach...nice post. It's true that this forum has seen some fights...although I think just recently things have gotten better.
As you say, it is important to stand up for the truths of the gospel, but that can be a difficult and incendiary thing when there are so many different opinions on what the scriptures teach. I think it's very important for all of us, no matter what our particular doctrines, to remember that Satan loves strife between believers.
So, as you say, debate amongst ourselves, using scripture, love and a kind perseverance, will always be better than loosing our tempers...even if it is for a righteous goal. It seems strange to me that so often we jump up and down in an attempt to prove the gospel to others, but in doing it we actually are giving them a verbal slap...and I can't imagine that Jesus thinks that is the best way to get His message across.
It's not easy to find that balance between 'fighting' for the truth...standing firm in God's word, and knowing when to back away from an argument, but we do have a divine helper...I think we just need to learn to listen to Him more!

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hi, everyone:

I just have a few things that I feel like I need to say. The first thing is this:

While I’m not an admin or moderator of this forum, I believe that it needs to be brought to the attention of all of the members of the forum that very much fighting goes on here. A lot of you don’t need to be told this, obviously, but a lot do, as well. As believers in Christ, it’s not our call to fight. We may argue to a point, yes, but our call is to lovingly instruct each other in the ways that Christ would have us to do, not to fight over small facts.

I suggest you take a tour of your local graveyard. There is no arguing there.
Do you prefer the quietude of the dead to the chatter of the living?

Ever listen to people go on about their favorite ball team or political party? The blather is endless.
Add alcohol to the debate and it often becomes violent, sometimes deadly.
You can feud with Christians all day without being physically assaulted - or perhaps that means nothing to you.

It is a quality of human nature to talk about those things which are of intense personal interest.
For example, I own a Prius that averages over fifty miles per gallon.
I think I'm quite right in arguing that my car is the best one on the road - including whatever gas hog you drive.
I was saved in 1971 and since that time I boast that Christ Jesus has been doing a work of santification upon my life.
If you care to argue either point, I will gladly take you up on it.

If not, I suggest you continue your stoll in the graveyard with the dead.
I guarantee they will not invade the quiet that greets your ears.

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
I suggest you take a tour of your local graveyard. There is no arguing there.
Do you prefer the quietude of the dead to the chatter of the living?

This is really irrelevant to the conversation. The topic is Christians who fight among each other, not whether or not I wanted people to remain quiet. In fact, Christians remaining quiet is NOT what I want; but for people to act in a Biblical, civil manner, not to incite argument among one another. It really doesn’t set a good example...especially to unbelievers who we should be trying our best to win over, into Christ.

Ever listen to people go on about their favorite ball team or political party? The blather is endless.
Add alcohol to the debate and it often becomes violent, sometimes deadly.
You can feud with Christians all day without being physically assaulted - or perhaps that means nothing to you.

Oh, I'm perfectly aware of that fact. But Christians who are actually acting as Christians should neither fight physically or verbally. That's all I'm getting at.

It is a quality of human nature to talk about those things which are of intense personal interest.

I completely agree. :) I've seen a lot of arguing among Christians, and I feel that it's necessary to point it out, gently show people the problem, and hope that God will work in people to strive to be more Godly. :)

For example, I own a Prius that averages over fifty miles per gallon.
I think I'm quite right in arguing that my car is the best one on the road - including whatever gas hog you drive.

But, this, again, isn't about that. It's off the topic of the original post. It has nothing to do with opinion, but facts and laws which are blatantly stated in the Bible by God.

I was saved in 1971 and since that time I boast that Christ Jesus has been doing a work of santification upon my life.
If you care to argue either point, I will gladly take you up on it.

I won't argue either point. :) It has nothing to do if people are saved or not or whether God has been working in someone's life. It has to do with Christians living by what God has written for us to be; what we promised God we would strive for on the day that we were saved.

Also, it would be much appreciated if you would give scripture to prove Biblically what you believe. :) Thanks a bunch.

-Calbhach

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate your opinion and will receive it in love. Thank you for bringing us to the Fathers word.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, everyone:

(Arguing)
Proverbs 28:25 - A greedy man stirs up strife, but the one who trusts in the Lord will be enriched.
1 Timothy 2:8 - I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling;

(Teaching)
2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with
complete patience and teaching.

2 Timothy 2:15
- Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be
ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

We should never, EVER fight among one another just to prove that we’re right, but instead, listen to one another and humbly take their words into consideration. Try to understand their views to see if they’re correct in what they assume to be true about their Biblical teachings. There are false prophets all throughout the world who try to teach us things which are incorrect. We must ensure that not only are the words of our fellow believers are correct, but the words which we believe ourselves.

1 John 4:1 - Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for
many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Remember; people will be accountable for “every careless word they speak”. For every fight or squabble that is started, those who participate unlovingly and saying hateful things will always be held accountable for it. We sin enough as it is...do we really want to be called up for every argument we thought we were in the right for in this world, when we were really wrong?

Matthew 12:36-37 - 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,
37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

God never intended for us to be an angry people. God is love, and wishes for love among all of His people. It is our calling, first and foremost, to love one another.

1 Corinthians 13:13 - So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
1 Thessalonians 5:9 - For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
1 Corinthians 16:14 - Let all that you do be done in love.
1 John 4:8 - Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
1 John 4:19 - We love because he first loved us.

Leviticus 19:18 - You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you
shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

In everything that we do, no matter how much we want to argue, we need to stop, think, be self-controlled, and lovingly speak to each other instead of posting whatever arguement comes into our minds.

Galatians 5:22-26 - 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have
crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. 26 Let us
not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

These are the things that love IS. We need to remember these things in every way that we conduct our lives, both on the forums and off of the forums.

1 Corinthians 13:4-13 - 4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does
not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; [1] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the
truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Remember...does fighting, no matter what topic it’s over, bring anyone to know Christ better? Or does it alienate people, and make them not wish to listen, or participate in the conversation? I know this...I don’t feel welcome in most of the conversations here. I do post on occasion, but usually only because I feel as though God led me to do so...not because I feel accepted.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

God Bless! :)
-Calbhach

Hi - I understand what you are saying and I think it is a good message. However, after trying to make the same point, I have come to realize that I cannot change anyone's behavior. All I can do is try not to participate in the fighting and try lifting people up instead.

blessings

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
• Being a bitter judgmental religious weenie feels like crap... if you want proof look at how miserable people are who go through life like that... such a bummer to be around... it's where license plates like, "Jesus loves you but everyone else thinks your an A-hole come from" These are those that cause offense...

• Being a stoked non-judgmental accepting loving person feels good... if you want proof just look at how happy people are who go through life like that... and those are the kind of people that carry the truth of who our Father is. These are those that bring revelation...

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
However, after trying to make the same point, I have come to realize that I cannot change anyone's behavior.
It's true, we as humans can't change anyone's behavior. It's simply my hope that the Word of God will work in the hearts of people and encourage them to be the best possible. :)

All I can do is try not to participate in the fighting and try lifting people up instead.

That's the best thing a person can do. :)

Thanks, justaname and aspen. :)

• Being a bitter judgmental religious weenie feels like crap... if youwant proof look at how miserable people are who go through life likethat... such a bummer to be around... it's where license plates like,"Jesus loves you but everyone else thinks your an A-hole come from"These are those that cause offense...

• Being a stoked non-judgmental accepting loving person feels good...if you want proof just look at how happy people are who go through lifelike that... and those are the kind of people that carry the truth ofwho our Father is. These are those that bring revelation...

Ahahaha. XD "Being a bitter judgmental religious weenie feels like crap..." I totally agree. :) It does make a person feel good to be accepting and loving.

Thanks, Robbie. :)

informer

May 1, 2011
The problem lies in another Jesus, another spirit, and another gospel; other than that which is written. We are called unto speaking the same things, and have no divisions among ourselves, but to be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment; and we are suppose to have all things common. Only if we continue in the Word´s of Christ shall we know the Truth, and we will not know the Truth by our own words, though some suppose that they do. As for me, I would agree with Peter and say, Who else shall we go to? Only Christ has the Words of eternal life. We cannot serve the Lord Jesus and our own appetite; either we shall insist on our own will, and dismiss His, or else we must deny our own will, and submit to His.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
We are supposed to stand up for what we believe in also there are a lot of people in this world that are not christian and love to stir up strife among believers. They really should be found out and prayed for we should reach out to them and try to help them. Otherwise you might just have to kick them off the forum. I don't know what do you guys think I mean I have met some people over the years that have been doing things a very sinful proud way for 50 + years and I honestly don't belive they will be zapped into an honest humble christian no matter how hard we try. Is my faith not strong enough or am I being wise and realistic ?

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
We are supposed to stand up for what we believe in also there are a lot of people in this world that are not christian and love to stir up strife among believers. They really should be found out and prayed for we should reach out to them and try to help them. Otherwise you might just have to kick them off the forum. I don't know what do you guys think I mean I have met some people over the years that have been doing things a very sinful proud way for 50 + years and I honestly don't belive they will be zapped into an honest humble christian no matter how hard we try. Is my faith not strong enough or am I being wise and realistic ?

Sadly enough, there's a lot of truth to it; a lot of people won't be changed, and will never accept the Word of God.

Matthew 7:13–14 - 13 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it .14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Very few people WILL find the "narrow gate" which leads to life. Sad, but true. But, despite that, we need to spread the Word in hopes that it will touch the hearts of these people, and that they will accept God into their lives. :) It may not be an immediate revealing for them, but it might pique their curiosity enough to lead them to learn more about it.

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.

In summary, I guess all we can do is bring God's Word to people, whether they take it to heart or not. :)

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calbhach... My simple little reply is for you to stay sweet!

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Sadly enough, there's a lot of truth to it; a lot of people won't be changed, and will never accept the Word of God.

Matthew 7:13–14 - 13 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it .14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Very few people WILL find the "narrow gate" which leads to life. Sad, but true. But, despite that, we need to spread the Word in hopes that it will touch the hearts of these people, and that they will accept God into their lives. :) It may not be an immediate revealing for them, but it might pique their curiosity enough to lead them to learn more about it.

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.

In summary, I guess all we can do is bring God's Word to people, whether they take it to heart or not. :)

Good Point Calbach. The hope keeps me in a better place.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
So Calbhach .....

If a person wholeheartedly agrees with you should they come right out and say it ??

If a person wholeheartedly disagrees with you should they come right out and say it ??

Not so easy is it ...... :) .... best wishes

Personally I find very few folks actually come with questions and wanting to learn

Most posters start out wanting to hammer home doctrines according to what they believe

And fight anyone who disagree with their position

So they throw up a great big smoke screen of copy and paste to avoid facing the small error they may have made.

They do not do it for the sake of fighting

They do it from a position of insecurity.

They feel the more folks they can convince to "be like them" .... the more secure they are.

Most religious groups are like that.

Most folks are terrified they may be wrong about something.

So we just fight ... it is easier than being terrified ...... :)

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
Pride is a root of all sin. In pride people try to figure out God instead of experiecing God.
Without experiencing God we cannot even fully comprehend His word so Christianity turned into endless number of groups and denominations arguing endlessly about their own translations and understandings.

Bible is not a destination it is a guide. It is a treasure map. Most do not seek Treasure but argue about every line and every dot on it instead.

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Suhar said:
Pride is a root of all sin. In pride people try to figure out God instead of experiecing God.
Without experiencing God we cannot even fully comprehend His word so Christianity turned into endless number of groups and denominations arguing endlessly about their own translations and understandings.

Bible is not a destination it is a guide. It is a treasure map. Most do not seek Treasure but argue about every line and every dot on it instead.

What he said!

Reactions: faithfulness