Christians living de facto relationships

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For decades now, a "legal marriage" brings any subsequent children born to that couple into bondage as property of the government. How is that of God? I would rather advise Christians to make a covenant in writing and to have a trusted minister and a handful of trusted Christian witnesses... commit to each other before God and godly witnesses. You don't need legal papers which bring your children into bondage. Birth certificates, social security numbers, marriage licenses, etc ....all they do is bring you into slavery. There are people who have functioned well in life without a social security number.

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will probable be attacked for this; but I have thought of this before. In Gods eyes what makes a legal marriage, and what makes that sin? When did signing some paper make a non-sinful marriage? What about getting married in a church, is that the only way to make it not sinful?

What we see as sin today, may actually not be sin - Isaac got the blessing from his father, then went and consummated there marriage. In Gods eyes, that seems to be all you need. And that is not much different than people shacking up together today.

I believe, as long as they have there parents blessing, and realize that the moment they come together sexually, they become one; and are bound together for life. It is right in Gods eyes.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm, I have not seen this topic raised on these forums before, but it kind of saddens me to see a lot of young modern Christians living with their boyfriends or girlfriends, these are people that aren't even married yet.

Why has it became so normal?

Just a quick summary, as it's getting late. Feel free to add to it

The Bible clearly states that a man leaves his father and mother and is united with his wife. Ephesians 5:31

That marriage should be honoured and the marriage bed should be kept undefined. Hebrews 13:4

If they cannot control themselves they should marry. 1 Corinthians 7:9

And I'm sure there's quite a bit more on this topic, I think though if we have read the Bible cover to cover we should have a rough understanding that Christians should not be living with their boyfriends or girlfriends before marriage, we may not be able to properly quote the scripture or verse, but we should know that the Bible doesn't encourage it. It encourages marriage first before living together.

The point is though, yes I am just throwing this number out there, but from a rough observation, probably like 95% of young Christians think it's okay to live together with their partners unmarried, doesn't mean it's right. And a lot of them are sharing the same bed!

Just what happened to young proper Christian relationships in this day and age? Because it sure is looking like a rare thing.

You are so right Josho,
One of my nieces stays with me in the rooms upstairs. She claims Christianity yet, sleeps with her BF and thinks it is okay, doesn't matter what scriptures I give her, she KNOWS it is wrong. Mostly she will end up saying nothing and I will not bash her every chance I get about something she already knows...all I've done was give her the truth and that is all. She knows, and I will not keep harping on it. She spends hardly anytime here, it is work then driving out to her B/F's apt. And she stays over night there about 4 nights out of the week. I will not allow it in my house so, she just goes there
:(
We know God does not change, and He MEANS what He says yet, so many think He will wink His eye at them because "everybody" does it". :eek:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Does getting married by a Justice of the Peace make it any less honorable?
Good point. There is a public as well as private aspect to marriage; if before God one is free to marry, then the public, legal aspect of it does not have to be performed by a "clergy".

Obviously a Christian couple appreciates the prayers of other Christians. A venue where prayer is offered for the newly weds does not have to be the same venue (maybe on the same day) as the place where the legal - and sometimes relatively brief - ceremony is transacted.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You are so right Josho,
One of my nieces stays with me in the rooms upstairs. She claims Christianity yet, sleeps with her BF and thinks it is okay, doesn't matter what scriptures I give her, she KNOWS it is wrong. Mostly she will end up saying nothing and I will not bash her every chance I get about something she already knows...all I've done was give her the truth and that is all. She knows, and I will not keep harping on it. She spends hardly anytime here, it is work then driving out to her B/F's apt. And she stays over night there about 4 nights out of the week. I will not allow it in my house so, she just goes there
:(
We know God does not change, and He MEANS what He says yet, so many think He will wink His eye at them because "everybody" does it". :eek:
@Nancy Condoms are so easy to obtain, but for young ppl brought up in the fear of the Lord, helping them understand that their own strategies of prayer and Scripture meditation are more effective in the long run, right?

Reactions: Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago, in a long-defunct forum, some one asked if a couple that had committed to each other and had lived with each other for years and had a child together we’re considered “married” in the eyes of God. I responded, “How the h___ would I know what God thinks?” If life gave mulligans, I wouldn’t have been so flippant.

Since the situation has come up several times since, including my beautiful granddaughter and her fiancé’, my wife and I have consciously chosen to treat them as married couples, including letting them share the guest bedroom when they visit. If God disagrees, well, the time is coming when Jesus and I are going to have an uncomfortable conversation about the moral choices I made in this life.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, which one was actually the husband?
In my studies, it's seemed to me that the Bible speaks of marriage, and of relationships not validated as marriage, with the difference being according to the society's custom of marriage. If you do what your culture says is wedding, you are married. If not, you are not. Or so it seems to me.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is something to do with over exposure to hormones released during sex.
Oxytocin, a hormone that's released, is known to cause emotional bonding. It's release during orgasm, also during breast feeding. So if your orgasm is related to what you are looking at on your computer, you will be emotionally bonded your computer. Or to your 25 different partners. Or your 1 wife, if you keep it for her.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Home version marriage . . . requires, absolutely nothing, no license, and no divorce. You can just come and go as you please.

Much love!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm, I have not seen this topic raised on these forums before, but it kind of saddens me to see a lot of young modern Christians living with their boyfriends or girlfriends, these are people that aren't even married yet.

Why has it became so normal?

Cause & Effect. Because government has corrupted marriage with no-fault divorce.

From a legal & financial perspective, there is virtually no benefit to divorce, only added liabilities. I tell young men to get a vasectomy as it remains 1 century after The Pill, the only means a man can actually take control of his reproductive rights.

Just to put things in perspective, 2 decades ago a tennis star had a one night stand. He had to pay $2M in transfer of wealth payments. Marriage would not have helped.

Home version marriage . . . requires, absolutely nothing, no license, and no divorce. You can just come and go as you please.

It's called freedom. People tend to prefer it. Marriage is a dead institution. Why should anyone bear the burden of a legal divorce when they can just say bye-bye? Feminism is so bad, men don't even want to date anymore.

Millions Of Men No Longer Want Marriage...(And Women Are Freaking Out) - YouTube

Why Are Less Young Men Dating In 2021? - AskReddit - YouTube

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we all know it's sinful. We all sin and fall short. It's another clear example of being subject to the flesh and not the Spirit. When my flesh had total authority over me I sinned in many ways. If you demote the flesh and truly seek to walk in the Spirit you will not be shacking up with your girlfriend or future wife. The Holy Spirit does not dwell in a person who rejects God's commands and practices fornication. In fact if you are still being controlled by your flesh you will have a hard time seeing and understanding the consequences of rejecting God's commands. Hard to see in darkness.

Another twist on this and I assume many of you think only of young new relationships being the focus of this issue but what about seniors who later in life move in with a friend of the opposite sex for companionship and possibly even because they love each other. No sexual relationship. Is it the sexual activity in the relationship that makes it sinful? Two people in their late 70's love each other, move in (not married) but have separate bedrooms but all other interactions in the relationship match those of a married couple. Roommates or living in sin?