Christians Should Only Pray To God In Jesus' Name

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Paul's point was simple. He was pushing the point that the resurrection is a reality, and is going to occur upon Jesus return, and that even the pagans believe this, otherwise why do they (pagans) baptize for the dead?

He was referring to the pagan act of baptism for the dead to make His point about belief in the resurrection. He didn't mention the actual pagan belief, but the pagans of a city near Corinth, called
Eleusis was the home of a pagan religion where baptism in the sea was practiced to guarantee a good afterlife. Homer mentioned it in his 'Hymn to Demeter'. Corinth was a major hub and was heavily influenced by many customs and religions. It is highly likely that the Corinthians were being influenced by what the pagans in Eleusis practiced, which was a baptism for the dead.

Paul used this example from the pagans in 1 Cor. 15:29, when he said, "...if the dead are not raised, then why are they baptized for the dead?" Paul did not say 'we'.

OK where is your scripture to prove that Paul was speaking of pagan baptism. Angelina requested that you post scriptures to back up your earlier post, where are they?

Do you understand the purpose of context. Where does Paul mention Pagans within this context that he could refer "they" as being pagans???

You are right Jiggy. There are many Churches out there that actually baptize on behalf of the dead. I just read an article recently about baptizing by proxy on behalf of a family members parents who had died after the Holocaust...
http://news.yahoo.co...-162346450.html

But this scripture has been misinterpreted...

1 Corinthians 15
[sup]12[/sup] But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? [sup]13[/sup] If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. [sup]14[/sup] And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. [sup]15[/sup] More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. [sup]16[/sup] For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. [sup]17[/sup] And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. [sup]18[/sup] Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. [sup]19[/sup] If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men.

The verse above speaks of those who believe that there is no resurrection from the dead...the argument here is that...if Christ has not been raised from the dead, we are still in our sins...those who preach Christ risen and God raising him from the dead are also preaching something that is useless to those who believe and the faith they have in Jesus becomes futile. Those who have fallen asleep [dead] in Christ are also lost. ....Keep those thoughts in mind...

[sup]20[/sup] But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. [sup]21[/sup] For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. [sup]22[/sup] For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. [sup]23[/sup] But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. [sup]24[/sup] Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. [sup]25[/sup] For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. [sup]26[/sup] The last enemy to be destroyed is death. [sup]27[/sup] For he “has put everything under his feet.”[sup][c][/sup] Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. [sup]28[/sup] When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

[sup]29[/sup] Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them?

Verse 29 then goes back to the first argument about those who believe that there is no resurrection...
"What will those do who are baptized for the dead?
meaning - Christ, if he has not risen [assuming that he is dead]

If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them?" using again, their belief that there is no resurrection...the question asked is - "why are people being baptized for those who are dead.?" [that is...if the dead are not raised - like Jesus]

[sup]30[/sup] And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour? [sup]31[/sup] I die every day—I mean that, brothers—just as surely as I glory over you in Christ Jesus our Lord. [sup]32[/sup] If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus for merely human reasons, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised,

Paul then goes on to say that it would have been pointless for them to have endured so much hardship and danger if the message that they bought were not true..."If the dead are not raised"

Romans 6 says:
[sup]3[/sup] Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? [sup]4[/sup] We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
[sup]5[/sup] If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. [sup]6[/sup] For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— [sup]7[/sup] because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Blessings!!!

Hey Angelina, just noticed your post. I understand that this passage is difficult for those who believe in endless torment and that it must be complicated and have a different meaning than what it literally conveys. As you said context is very important and I look at it in context too, but come to a different understanding because I look at it simply the way it is worded and see no conflict with the rest of scripture. Thanks for your response.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Jiggy!
Thank you for your kind words... we may will have to agree to disagree on this one... ^_^ I will say though...that I was just a relatively new believer when I was reading this passage many years ago [ didn't have any grasp on eternal torment at that time] when I got the revelation of this verse from the Holy Spirit... :)

Bless you!!!

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I would sure like someone to outline the so-called Christian doctrine of baptizing people for the dead.

What churches are doing this?
What does it do spiritually for the dead?
What does Jesus say about it?
What does any writer of the gospels or epistles teach us about it?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The false religion of baptizing for the dead in Eleusis was in celebration of their god Bacchus, a variation of Nimrod and a religion that was born in Babylonia. Part of their rites were purification in the sea. It is only hearsay that scholars have associated that ritual to what Paul was speaking about in 1 Corinthians 15. If some of the adherents of the Church in Corinth were been practicing such an art...we can assume then, that they did believe there was a resurrection, otherwise, they would not have been baptizing for the dead...

...but this is not what Paul was speaking about...he was talking to those who did not believe in the resurrection...the very foundation stone on which the Good News of the Gospel stands....If Christ is not raised...neither will we be and if we are not going to be raised, then our faith in eternal life with Christ is useless... [ this is not true of course - Paul was only using their logic to show them how illogical their theory was re: no resurrection]

Shalom!!!

Reactions: Angelina

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Paul did touch on that pagan practice, but he was not speaking about the Corinthian churches doing it. He was teaching about the reality of the resurrection to those who rejected it out of hand. He said that even the pagans believed that the dead are one day resurrected and their own pagan rite of baptism for the dead proves that belief, yet his main teaching is that if Christ was not raised from the dead then believing in Him for salvation is futile, and they are therefore risking their lives and suffering hardship for nothing.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Your quote Post 18#
It is highly likely that the Corinthians were being influenced by what the pagans in Eleusis practiced, which was a baptism for the dead.

It was you who threw this ball into the court...and then you said...

Post 25#
but he was not speaking about the Corinthian churches doing it.
Why mention it then?

yet his main teaching is that if Christ was not raised from the dead then believing in Him for salvation is futile, and they are therefore risking their lives and suffering hardship for nothing.

Exactly what I had said in the beginning.... :huh:

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I do suggest that the Corinthians may have been influenced in their thinking, but they are not charged with adopting the pagan practice of baptism for the dead. As you can see from scripture, Paul had his hands full with a pocket of unbelief concerning resurrection itself.

Angelina, you and I are not far apart in our understanding of this passage. We both understand what Paul was clearly teaching.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not completely positive on this but I believe the tradition is to have the saints pray for you, or to act as intercessors. Also the attempt is to have them some how guide you in prayer also. This still seems baffling to me as in the HolySpirit we have the best guide possible, and in Jesus Christ we have the best intercessor. :) Go figure. Now, if you are praying to saints directly, that just seems downright silly. Why would you pray to someone who has no authority beyond God' consent?

Now, should we only pray in Jesus' name? I think that is the best way to get what you ask for. This is what Jesus instructs, and He is the rule maker.
John 14:13-14 John 15:16 John 16:23-26

I think by praying in Jesus name it gives authority in prayer. It is kinda like putting a priority stamp on your prayer, and it gets taken to the Big Guy immediately. :lol:

Reactions: Lively Stone

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no Scriptural warrant for baptizing for the dead, actually on the contrary...

And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,
(Heb 9:27)

how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard,
(Heb 2:3)

For he says, "In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
(2Co 6:2)

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Are we talking about actually baptizing dead people or having baptism ceremonies on behalf of the dead?

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I think they prayed for Hitler to get him out of "Spirit Prison."

Joseph Smith was an absolute charleton who only started the whole poligimy thing because his wife caught him in the hayloft with their blonde 16 year old servant girl and when she asked him why he was committing adultary he told her that God had ordered him to marry her.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I am not completely positive on this but I believe the tradition is to have the saints pray for you, or to act as intercessors. Also the attempt is to have them some how guide you in prayer also. This still seems baffling to me as in the HolySpirit we have the best guide possible, and in Jesus Christ we have the best intercessor. :) Go figure. Now, if you are praying to saints directly, that just seems downright silly. Why would you pray to someone who has no authority beyond God' consent?

Now, should we only pray in Jesus' name? I think that is the best way to get what you ask for. This is what Jesus instructs, and He is the rule maker.
John 14:13-14 John 15:16 John 16:23-26

I think by praying in Jesus name it gives authority in prayer. It is kinda like putting a priority stamp on your prayer, and it gets taken to the Big Guy immediately. :lol:
The Saints are in the Holy Spirit. and they can help as a guide.
If one asked you for assistance in prayer would you refuse, saying it's all up to you sport.
And what if someone helped you to pray on a deeper more meaningful level and gave you direction and clarity instead of just wanton babbling that goes no where anyway.
Should one prepare your self for prayer, and be in the Holy Spirit ?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If one asked you for assistance in prayer would you refuse, saying it's all up to you sport.
And what if someone helped you to pray on a deeper more meaningful level and gave you direction and clarity instead of just wanton babbling that goes no where anyway.

The only saints we can enlist as intercessors are flesh and blood saints who are living.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
For all of you who believe it is okay to pray to or ask for assistance from mary or any other dead person... I pray that God will show you on this day what is truth and what is not...Much love in christ

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I would not refuse. I would not refuse if I were living with the Lord either (supposing I could hear the prayer).
I am not one to judge how you relation yourself with God. I am simply one who goes to the Father myself as opposed to asking others to do it for me. (With the exception of Jesus of course)

I guess I look at it this way, if I were in the army, and needed to get a message to the main general, and had permission to use his personal cell phone to contact him, I wouldn't ask someone else to call him for me. :)

Now, to prepare yourself and be in the HolySpirit, is a constant thing. You do not need another spirit guiding you in the HolySpirit, you need the HolySpirit guiding you. Does this make sense?

The HolySpirit is a deposit in you, that never leaves you.

Rascus

Mar 16, 2012
South Carolina
It is not okay to pray to Mary......for in the Bible we are told by Jesus ......that no one come unto the Father except thru Me! Jesus Christ is the one and only way to the Father! I believe that praying to Mary came from the teaching of the Roman Catholics, though Im not 100% certain...and I dont mean that to be offensive to anyone who happens to be Catholic or a believer in the Catholic doctrine. To me it borders on idol worship......which is pretty much a part of Cathollc doctrine. I used to be a Catholic years ago and saw that alot of what I was being taught was wrong.....and I thank my God thru my Lord Jesus Christ that He led me to my true calling.....thank Him for each and every blessing He bestows upon my life! May all here on the forums be blessed always with His great Love and compassion....

Rascus

I'm trying to understand why it is okay to pray to Mary and other deceased people (saints).

It isn't! Christians do not do it, nor should they.

That is prayer. We aren't to communicate with the dead. It is futile---they have no ears for us. Isn;t praying to your only mediator between God and yourself, Jesus, enough? Why all the added stuff? That is religiosity at its worst.

What's the point? It's not biblical.

Talking to dead saints does nothing. Mary has no power to hear nor answer your petitions. Nothing in scripture teaches this, but does warn against idolatry, which praying to dead people really is.

Lively Stone.....Amen to that!