Christmas

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Merry Orthodox Christmas! :)

January 7th on the Gregorian calendar is December 25th on the Julian calendar, when the Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates the birth of Messiah Jesus.

Meanwhile ...

On the 13th day of Christmas, I returned these gifts for me:

12 Drummers Drumming (I don't need a marching band in my house.)

22 Pipers Piping (I wish that they would pipe down.)

30 Lords a Leaping (Since when is the game of leap-frog a Christmas activity?)

36 Ladies Dancing (If "Dancing with the Stars" didn't want them, then why should I?)

40 Maids a Milking (plus the 40 cows that they were a milking. Uh, watch your step. They aren't house-broken.)

42 Swans a Swimming (I'll never get all of the feathers out of my swimming pool.)

42 Geese a Laying (Anyone want some goose eggs? My doctor told me to cut down on cholesterol.)

40 Gold Rings (plus 40 creepy little dudes all saying "My Precious!")

36 Calling Birds (They ran up my phone bill.)

30 French Hens (I don't speak French, and I don't want to be hen-pecked.)

22 Turtle Doves (You know what doves do to statues? Well, they do the same to houses.)

12 Partridges in 12 Pear Trees (I don't want my house turned into an orchard, and I don't want to host a reunion of the Partridge Family.)

With the money that I received back, I was able to have my home professionally cleaned. ^_^

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dodo_David said:
Merry Orthodox Christmas! :)

January 7th on the Gregorian calendar is December 25th on the Julian calendar, when the Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates the birth of Messiah Jesus.

Meanwhile ...

On the 13th day of Christmas, I returned these gifts for me:

12 Drummers Drumming (I don't need a marching band in my house.)

22 Pipers Piping (I wish that they would pipe down.)

30 Lords a Leaping (Since when is the game of leap-frog a Christmas activity?)

36 Ladies Dancing (If "Dancing with the Stars" didn't want them, then why should I?)

40 Maids a Milking (plus the 40 cows that they were a milking. Uh, watch your step. They aren't house-broken.)

42 Swans a Swimming (I'll never get all of the feathers out of my swimming pool.)

42 Geese a Laying (Anyone want some goose eggs? My doctor told me to cut down on cholesterol.)

40 Gold Rings (plus 40 creepy little dudes all saying "My Precious!")

36 Calling Birds (They ran up my phone bill.)

30 French Hens (I don't speak French, and I don't want to be hen-pecked.)

22 Turtle Doves (You know what doves do to statues? Well, they do the same to houses.)

12 Partridges in 12 Pear Trees (I don't want my house turned into an orchard, and I don't want to host a reunion of the Partridge Family.)

With the money that I received back, I was able to have my home professionally cleaned. ^_^
lol.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pilgrimer said:
FHII, I have given a lot of thought to what you said above, and my first impulse was to take that last word and then leave this discussion. After the things you said I find I don’t like you very much. I think your attitude toward Christmas, and especially toward those who are only trying to show you kindness, is the kind of religious arrogance that gives religion a bad name, and turns people away from God.

I don’t recall ever being in such a situation, but if I were I would simply accept the cards and gifts with a gracious thank you so as not to hurt anyone’s feelings, and later drop them in a Good Will box and keep it just between me and God. But then, I serve Jesus Christ, and he has taught me the most important thing in serving God … is to love people.

Christmas gifts and cards and merry wishes are not going to defile you, and God would be better served if you were less concerned with your being offended and more concerned with not offending others, especially the little children.
Oh really? Ok, fine then. This is where you see the side of me you don't want to see.

I don't accept christmas greetings because I don't believe in the holiday. Now, did you note I kindly thank people and let them know I can't accept them? Did you note that I give them back instead of simply throwing them away? You celebrate this holiday and don't. So don't ever think you can understand my situation. It's as bad as you thinking your gardening is comparable to that of a shepherd in 6 BC. It's rediculous and egotistical.

So you serve Jesus Christ, and you believe that the most important thing is to love people? NO! It ain't! It's to love Jesus Christ first and formost and worship him in spirit and in Truth! It may come as a shock to you, but God doesn't love everybody and we aren't to love everybody.

No, a Christmas card or gift isn't going to defile me cause I don't accept them. And like I said, I'm not offended. For someone who claims to fact check everything I find your reading skill pretty poor! Not only on this, but on many things we have discussed. I have great peace and NOTHING offends me. The Bible says so!

Like I said, I appreciate the thought and I show kindness to those who offer me such. I gently refuse, and make every effort to show my appreciation. And it's tough at times because I work in special education and some of the kids I deal with don't understand. However, unlike you... My first duty is to God, not other people. I have no verse that says we must accept acts of kindness from every person, even if they are wrong, but I do have a verse that says we MUST worship him in spirit and in TRUTH. There ain't nothing truthful about Christmas!

But the bottom line is that I have asked you, "hey, don't wish me merry christmas!" and you turn around and call me arrogant! Your doctine is to "love everybody"... Fine. Love me by respecting my wishes. Don't wish me merry christmas! Why did you wish me merry christmas if you knew I wouldn't accept it? Because YOU believe in it! YOU wishing merry christmas was all about you! Not care for me or my beliefs!

You know what the kicker is? Most of the children understand my stance! Two don't because they still believe in Santa Claus (yea... There's a fine example of christmas truth) and another didn't because he had a terrible home life. But overall, the majority understand and accept my stance. You not accepting it indicates to me that your understanding is less than that of a child!

And for the record, I gave you a fair shot and reached out to you.... But no. I don't like you much either. The difference is that my doctrine which is what the Bible teaches is not to love everybody.... That's yours.

So long, Pilgrimer.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
FHII said:
The difference is that my doctrine which is what the Bible teaches is not to love everybody.... That's yours.

So long, Pilgrimer.
Wow, I sure would like to know which Bible that you are reading.

The one that I read says that we are to love our enemies, to love our neighbors as ourselves and to love one another.

It also says, "For God so loved the World ..."

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dodo_David said:
Wow, I sure would like to know which Bible that you are reading.

The one that I read says that we are to love our enemies, to love our neighbors as ourselves and to love one another.

It also says, "For God so loved the World ..."
I'm reading the KJV.... The same Bible that says, "Jacob have I loved, Esau have I hated." The same Bible where David said he hates God's enemies with perfect hatred. The same Bible where Paul "loved" his enemies by turning them over to Satan, and said the Lord will deal with them. The same Bible where Jesus defined the "world" as the field, and not everyone in it. The same Bible where God said he laughs at the calamities of some. The same Bible where Jesus defined his own mother, brother and sister as them that do the will of the Father, when his own mother (Mary) was late to Church and wanted private conference with him. The same Bible where Jesus premeditated while he made a whip and beat the snot out of some folks in the temple.

The same Bible where Jesus defined "neighbor" as himself when he was the one who cared for the samaritan.

And that's the same Bible that says God is love.

Now which one were you reading?

Sweet Pea

Dec 27, 2013
Pilgrimer said:
I’m quite familiar with Saturnalia. It was one of the primary festivals of ancient Rome. Saturnalia was a holiday instituted in 217 B.C. to raise the morale of the Roman citizens after they suffered a crushing military defeat at the hands of the Cathaginians. The festival was celebrated for one day, on December 17. In later years it was extended to a week-long festival ending on December 22 so that it concluded on the winter solstice. Efforts to shorten the celebration were unsuccessful. Augustus tried to reduce it to three days, and Caligula to five. These attempts caused uproar among the Roman citizens.

The Saturnalia was never celebrated on December 25, that was a date unique to Christianity until the first adoption of a Christian holiday by pagans when Aurelian changed the celebration of "Dies Natalis Sol Invicti" from December 11 to December 25 in an attempt to paganize a Christian holiday that had become very popular among the Roman people as the Roman Empire saw multitudes of it's citizens convert to Christianity and throw off the superstitions of the old Roman gods of their fathers.

Christmas had nothing to do with Saturnalia, other than it fell 2 days after the Saturnalia had ended. And according to the writings of the Roman historian John the Lydian (born c. 490 A.D.) the Christian church “turned away” from these pagan festivals.

That is certainly the testimony of every other ancient writer. Indeed, up until the Edict of Milan published in 313 A.D., Christians were customarily persecuted by arrest, imprisonment, property confiscated, and the Christians themselves tortured and martyred by any number of barbarous means for refusing to compromise the Gospel and even pay token homage to the pagan gods of Rome.

The rumor that Christians “adopted” (insert any of a number of different pagan holidays) for our religious observances is patently and demonstrably false.

All the historical evidence supports the December 25 date for the nativity of Christ.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

What about Mithras? Do you have any info about that?

Rach said:
Ok....a desire to 'get it right' is not a bad thing.....but how do you do that? How do you figure...with a 100% accuracy...that any particular date is the day that Jesus was born? I'm sure down through the years many people have tried to determine when Christ was born....but as it was so long ago, I don't think it's something we can know...
My question is....is it better to not celebrate the occasion of his birth? It's not as if we are worshipping a date. If we marked the 25th of December as a holy day....well, clearly that would be wrong....a little stupid too!! But we are merely using that day to gather together, with family and friends, to remember and celebrate the occasion when God became a man to save us from our sins. That, my friend...is truth! I may spend the rest of the year marvelling at all the works of Christ...how can I not! His miracles were amazing, his love all encompassing, his death and resurrection miraculous! In the midst of all those things, sometimes the birth gets overlooked. It shouldn't, and I think 'Christmas' makes us stop and consider it. God chose to come as a baby. He could have come as a man...but no....there is nothing more simple or humbling then a baby, forced to rely on his parents for everything. It was the exact opposite to what Christ had in heaven...able to spin out universes with a single breath!
My point is....don't celebrate 'Christmas' on the 25 if you don't want.....but it is an occasion you should celebrate. And given the freedom we are given in Christ, I don't know that you are given biblical grounds to call us out on when we choose to celebrate it. You can have no intimate knowledge of what I do on Christmas day...how I spend it, what I think, what I teach my kids. So making a judgment call is perhaps not appropriate.

I didn't label you fearful...my only point was that in Christ we need not fear. And I'm not talking of 'fear of the Lord', which is appropriate. My point was that we are freed from the condemnation and speculations....judgements....of man. We are held to scripture and the Holy Spirit. If you feel the Spirit is guiding you away from celebrating Christmas, then by all means, follow him!!
But I would ask for a similar courtesy.....that you allow that biblically, there is no instruction against celebrating Christ's birth...nor is there a list of what we must aviod in such celebrating. And that biblically, and Spiritually, it is quite possible that we are being led to a freedom to celebrate when and where we choose.
The problem would be if Christmas is a pagan celebration just covered up with Christian names (some say this is what the Pope did to convert Pagans... let them keep their festivals but put Christian names on them.

[SIZE=.75em]29 [/SIZE]“When the Lord your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, [SIZE=.75em]30 [/SIZE]take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.’ [SIZE=.75em]31 [/SIZE]You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods.
[SIZE=.75em]32 [/SIZE]“Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
It may come as a shock to you, but God doesn't love everybody …
That’s true, but the only people Jesus did not treat with love and compassion were the arrogant, self-righteous Scribes and Pharisees who took great pride in the fact that they followed the law to the letter and anyone who did not believe and live as they did they considered beneath them … including Jesus … and a whole generation of Christians whom they hated, and they actually believed they were justified by Scripture in hating Christians, in trying to silence them, and persecuting them to death.

FHII said:
No, a Christmas card or gift isn't going to defile me cause I don't accept them. Like I said, I appreciate the thought and I show kindness to those who offer me such. I gently refuse, and make every effort to show my appreciation.
Are you aware that every day, day after day after day, the priests in the Temple of God made sacrifices and offerings that were gifts from other nations … pagan nations? And in fact anyone from any nation was free to come to the Temple, the outer courts were for the nations, and they were allowed to offer God sacrifices and offerings … and God accepted those gifts.

And when the pagan priests came from the east and brought Jesus gifts at his birth, did Mary and Joseph “kindly and gently, showing their appreciation” refuse the gifts?

And when the sinful woman brought the alabaster box of precious ointment and anointed Jesus’ feet, did he kindly and gently, showing his appreciation say, “I’m sorry, but I don’t agree with your beliefs, so I cannot accept your gift”?

But perhaps this whole thing proves just how true Jesus' words are ... those who are forgiven much, love much.

FHII said:
But the bottom line is that I have asked you, "hey, don't wish me merry christmas!" and you turn around and call me arrogant!
No FHII, I called you arrogant because you confessed that a woman at your school has apparently bent over backwards to do the politically correct thing and “sanitize” the religious aspect of Christmas to appease your religious fastidiousness and yet you called her efforts “low and gutter trash.”

FHII said:
Your doctine is to "love everybody"... Fine. Love me by respecting my wishes.
FHII, the most loving thing I can do is to tell you the truth, and I have spent considerable time telling you, showing you the truth, which you can see with your own eyes. But you have things mixed up. You’re not judging the truth about Christmas based on the actual evidence, you are judging the evidence based on doctrines taught by men. You confessed of your own self that bottom line, you choose to “trust your sources,” even though in your heart of hearts you are at least beginning to realize that your sources don’t have any evidence! That in fact, what evidence there is does not support their doctrines. But you’re right, it is your choice. Choose carefully, and do not under any circumstances put your trust in men. God has given us all the evidence we need to know the truth, and bottom line, "the truth" is not between you and your sources, it’s between you and God.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
Sweet Pea said:
What about Mithras? Do you have any info about that?
First please understand that Mithraism was a mystery religion, which means their beliefs were not written down or recorded but were only shared verbally to initiates. And even their celebrations and rites and rituals were all secret, they had no public celebrations. So from the very outset the claim that Christianity adopted anything from this secretive cult contradicts what we actually know about it.

What we do know about Mithraism is derived primarily from archaeological artifacts such as dedicatory inscriptions and what is called “tauroctony” (icons or reliefs carved into stone depicting scenes representing the basic beliefs). The primary and most commonly found tauroctony depicts the scene of Mithras slaying a bull with the sun god Sol and the moon goddess Luna watching. Another tauroctony depicts Mithras and Sol feasting on the bull. Here are examples of these icons.

320px-MithraReliefvert_zps7e8b45be.jpg

The places where they gathered were called “Mithraeum,” which were underground caves. Some 650 have been discovered. The archaeology of these Mithraeum throughout the region shows that the primary celebration, indeed the only celebration of Mithraism, was a banquet imitating the legend of Mithras and Sol feasting on the carcass of the bull Mithras had slain. According to an inscribed bronze plaque called the Virunum album discovered in 1992, this festival of commemoration took place on June 26. In the excavations of the Mithraeum archaeologists have found various feasting implements such as forks and other utensils, as well as bones from animals and fruit residue. But the most commonly found objects are cherry stones, which agrees with the Virunum album that this Mithraic festival was celebrated in June when cherries are harvested.

There is no mention or evidence of any other celebration of those who practiced the Mithraic mysteries, although a listing of the members and their ranking in the seven levels of initiation show that the highest rank a follower could reach was that of Pater, which is governed by Saturn, not the Sun. While Sol is present in Mithraic tauroctony, it is Saturn that is given the highest rank in the Mithraic grades. And nowhere has there been any mention of a birth date of Mithras. The only information there is about beliefs about his birth is that it was believed Mithras was born from a rock fully grown. A date is not known to historians or archaeologists, and indeed, in many ancient religions a particular birth date is not celebrated although legends about the birth of various gods and goddesses may abound. And nowhere is there any evidence that the Mithraic religion observed any kind of festival or holy day on December 25, or at any time during the winter months.

And rather than adopting Mithriasm or it's beliefs or practices, Christianity was bitterly opposed to Mithraism which is also evident by the many votive coins that were left lying strewn about on the floors of the mithraeum when the Christians destroyed these places of pagan worship in the 3rd and 4th centuries. They considered the coins to be polluted and left them lying where they had fallen. However, Mithraism was a relatively small religion compared to Christianity, primarily observed by Roman legions, with only a few hundred mithraeum and those very small indicating that the followers were not as numerous as some suggest. And by the 4th century the Mithraic cult had completely died out.

And that is the current state of knowledge about Mithraism, a highly over-rated religion that some suggest was a rival to Christianity, but without any evidence, and indeed, the evidence is to the contrary, that Mithraism was limited to a small percentage of the population, it's beliefs and practices a "mystery" known only to the initiates, which would make it very difficult for Christians to adopt it's beliefs or practices since they were secret, and with the archological evidence that the only known festival of Mithraism was a summer celebration, it makes it rather remarkable that a serious scholar could suppose that Christianity's celebration of the birth of Jesus, which has ample historical and archaeological support, could have been based on a religion for which there is no evidence for a December, or even a winter celebration at all.

Sweet Pea said:
The problem would be if Christmas is a pagan celebration just covered up with Christian names (some say this is what the Pope did to convert Pagans... let them keep their festivals but put Christian names on them.
I’ve heard that, it is a common charge of the anti-Christmas/anti-Easter/anti-Christian crowd, but I have yet to see any kind of historical evidence for it. Allow me to share with you a little history on what was happening in the period when Christians were supposedly adopting pagan celebrations, some claim because the pagans didn’t want to give them up, and others claim it was to make Christianity more palatable for pagans. But here’s the truth.

For its first 281-year history Christianity had been illegal and Christians had undergone centuries of persecution which culminated in what historians consider the most pervasive and bloodiest persecution of all under Emperor Diocletion in the late 3rd/early 4th century. The record of what Christians suffered during this dark period is quite extensive, graphic, and chilling. Rome attempted to force Christians to return to the worship of the pagan gods of their fathers but was unsuccessful although they used all manner of punishment; property, businesses, wealth were confiscated, Christians were arrested and imprisoned, tortured, killed, along with their wives and children.

But no amount of persecution had been able to quench the fire of Christian faith or drown it in the blood of Christians. And in 311 A.D., the Roman Emperor Galerius made a deathbed decree that finally ended the centuries of persecution and made Christianity a legal religion. A copy of that decree is linked below so you can read it for yourself and know the truth of these things.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/edict-milan.asp

And when you read that edict notice that the reason the Roman Emperor gave for ending the persecution of Christians and attempting to force Christians to return to the pagan worship of their ancestors was that they refused, even on pain of death, to even pay token homage to the pagan gods of Rome. Now this is direct testimony from the emperor of Rome who states in a public decree that not only were Christians not adopting paganism into their worship, but Rome gave up even trying to force them to even acknowledge the pagan gods. And mind you, all a Christian had to do in these dark days was appear before a magistrate, take a pinch of incense, and sprinkle it on hot coals in a brazier as an homage to the gods of Rome, and they would be free to go. But even this small act of compromise was refused by the vast majority of Christians who suffered and even died for it. Those who suffered torture for the faith were called “Confessors” because they confessed worship of Jesus Christ alone.

And then two years later, in 313 A.D., Emperors Constantine and Licinius issued another edict called the Edict of Milan (also found at the link above) in which they officially
legalized Christianity, granted to Christians their property rights, ordered that all confiscated property be returned, and adopted a political course of “freedom of religion,” which the world would not see as a national state policy again for another 1463 years with the founding of America.

So when our critics claim that Christianity did not “begin to celebrate” Christmas and other festivals until the early 4th century, explain to them that it wasn’t until the early 4th century that Christians were able to worship and celebrate the faith publicly, but that early Christian documents show that Christmas and Easter were being observed centuries before.

But as is our wont, as soon as we Christians were free from the imminent threat of torture and death, we turned our attention to fighting over doctrine. Almost immediately disagreements that had been simmering beneath the surface boiled over on matters of the mode and manner of our worship. Long and impassioned letters were exchanged between the churches discussing these issues, but in all this voluminous amount of material there is not one single letter or fragment or treatise that even mentions anyone anywhere “adopting” any pagan holidays for any reason. And that in spite of the fact that Christians were discussing and debating every detail of our faith, of our beliefs, and of our worship. What does exist is a wealth of writings against pagan practices and comparing the lowness of paganism to the beauty and holiness of Christian worship and celebrations. And keep in mind we are talking about a generation of Christians who still bore in their bodies the proof of their faithfulness and absolute refusal to compromise the Gospel with paganism. The claims made by the anti-Christmas anti-Christian crowd is nothing less than slander of a whole generation of Christians who lost everything, their bodies cruelly broken and bloodied, and for many their very lives forfeited rather than compromise the Gospel of Christ.

And the notion that Christianity had to adopt pagan practices to entice converts or to make Christianity more palatable to pagans is also historically and grossly untrue. The truth is there had been a mass conversion to Christianity by the Roman people and in 361 A.D. a Roman Emperor came to power named Julian, called by Christians Julian “the apostate.” Emperor Julian was a rabid pagan and attempted to restore the pagan worship and festivals of the old Roman gods (the Hellenic religion) which were being neglected and the pagan temples had fallen to rack and ruin. So Julian spent lavishly to rebuild the temples, hire an army of priests, and restore the sacrifices and offerings to the old roman gods. But he wasn’t satisfied because the people had not returned to their pagan roots. So in June of 362 A.D. Julian wrote a letter to his pagan High Priest named Arsacius. In that letter, which I am linking to below, read carefully what this Roman emperor had to say about why so many Romans had converted to Christianity. It was because the Christians (whom Julian called “atheists”) led such loving, godly lives. They were known for their humility and charity, not only caring for their own poor, but even caring for the poor among the pagans! They were honest in business dealings, and not given to drunkenness and sexual immorality. So no less than the Christian-hating pagan emperor of Rome testifies in writing that Christianity was succeeding in converting the Roman people away from paganism and to Christ because they were “outdoing” the pagans in good works!

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/julian_apostate_letters_1_trans.htm (scroll down to letter #22)

Now this was the reason the Emperor of Rome gave for the success of Christianity, not because Christians were adopting paganism to make Christianity more palatable, and certainly not because the Roman people didn’t want to give up their pagan festivals. The truth is the exact opposite, according to no less an authority than the emperor of Rome, the Romans were abandoning the old pagan gods and their worship and celebrations in droves, so much so that paganism was dying in the Roman Empire and Julian tried, unsuccessfully, to revive it.

But even more, notice that in this letter the Emperor instructed his high priest to have all the pagan priests begin to emulate the Christians in order to try to win back the masses of Romans who had converted to Christ! The polar opposite of what our critics claim, that it was Christianity that adopted paganism. Nothing could be further from the truth.

And that is truth based not on some book some man wrote 20 years ago about what he believes happened in those years. Nor is it truth based on what some 12th century monk said he believes happened back then. These are the writings of the emperors of Rome, who were certainly in a position to know the truth of these things.

And the truth is that whole generation of Christians are being slandered and maligned, accused of compromising the Gospel and adopting pagan celebrations and beliefs, when the truth is that history, even the enemies of Christ, bear witness in writing to the exact opposite, that Christians were every day laying down their lives for the Gospel, living pious lives of such humility and charity to everyone, even to pagans, that men and women were drawn to Christ and refused to return to their old pagan ways, and when necessary these Christians gave up everything, even their very lives to remain true to the Gospel of Christ, bearing in their own bodies the proof of their faithfulness.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Sweet Pea

Dec 27, 2013
Wow, thank you for all of the information! So, what you are saying is that all the info we have out there today is incorrect? You mentioned a book written 20 years ago... is that all that information is based off of? If you good Christmas paganism, or anything close to that, you will find pages of websites that present this info that many in this thread are asking about... that is all wrong? Why would people give inaccurate information?

Thank you, again... off to read the links you provided. :)

Also, why would the Puritans ban it?

This is basically what most sites I've seen say:
"Nearly all aspects of Christmas observance have their roots in Roman custom and religion. Consider the following admission from a large American newspaper (The Buffalo News, Nov. 22, 1984): “The earliest reference to Christmas being marked on Dec. 25 comes from the second century after Jesus' birth. It is considered likely the first Christmas celebrations were in reaction to the Roman Saturnalia, a harvest festival that marked the winter solstice—the return of the sun—and honored Saturn, the god of sowing. Saturnalia was a rowdy time, much opposed by the more austere leaders among the still-minority Christian sect. Christmas developed, one scholar says, as a means of replacing worship of the sun with worship of the Son. By 529 A.D., after Christianity had become the official state religion of the Roman Empire, Emperor Justinian made Christmas a civic holiday. The celebration of Christmas reached its peak—some would say its worst moments—in the medieval period when it became a time for conspicuous consumption and unequaled revelry.”
Consider these quotes from the Catholic Encyclopedia, 1911 edition, under “Christmas”: “Christmas was not among the earliest festivals of the Church…the first evidence of the feast is from Egypt.” Further, “Pagan customs centering around the January calends gravitated to Christmas.” Under “Natal Day,” Origen, an early Catholic writer, admitted, “…In the Scriptures, no one is recorded to have kept a feast or held a great banquet on his birthday. It is only sinners(like Pharaoh and Herod) who make great rejoicings over the day in which they were born into this world” (emphasis mine).
The Encyclopedia Americana, 1956 edition, adds, “Christmas…was not observed in the first centuries of the Christian church, since the Christian usage in general was to celebrate the death of remarkable persons rather than their birth…a feast was established in memory of this event [Christ's birth] in the fourth century. In the fifth century the Western Church ordered the feast to be celebrated forever on the day of the Mithraic rites of the birth of the sun and at the close of the Saturnalia, as no certain knowledge of the day of Christ's birth existed.”
There is no mistaking the origin of the modern Christmas celebration. Many additional sources could be cited and we will return to this later. Let's begin to tie some other facts together.
It was 300 years after Christ before the Roman church kept Christmas, and not until the fifth century that it was mandated to be kept throughout the empire as an official festival honoring “Christ.”

Another: http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/tracts/tract3.html

Where did all this info come from?

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sweet Pea said:
Wow, thank you for all of the information! So, what you are saying is that all the info we have out there today is incorrect? … If you good Christmas paganism, or anything close to that, you will find pages of websites that present this info that many in this thread are asking about... that is all wrong? Why would people give inaccurate information?

Because there are a many sects and groups and individuals who have an agenda … to discredit Christianity. It’s not new, and what motivates each of them is as varied as the people themselves, but with the advent of the internet and the anonymity it allows anti-Christian sects and groups and individuals have been able to disseminate their views without the reader knowing the source. These views have in recent years become popular and, unfortunately, when you google “Christmas” the most popular sites come up, not the most accurate ones. So you have to use discretion about what sites you visit and what information you accept as true. It goes without saying that there are enemies of the Gospel and enemies of the body of Christ and they are all over the internet, even on Christian forums, just as they are everywhere in the world. The old saying about wolves in sheep’s clothing is nowhere more true than on the internet.

Sweet Pea said:
You mentioned a book written 20 years ago... is that all that information is based off of?
I was speaking in general terms, but there are two primary sources of all this anti-Christmas/anti-Easter arguments, from outside the church and from within. From outside the church are the Watchtower Society doctrines of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. They have been very active on the internet and in Christian forums and spend much time arguing against Christianity and our beliefs and practices including the celebration of Christmas and Easter, some even claiming such observances are “idolatrous.”

But there are also those from within the church who have fallen prey to the writings of the 18th century conspiracy theorist Alexander Hislop and his rabid anti-Catholic book “The Two Babylons: Papal Worship Proved to be the Worship of Nimrod and His Wife.” In that book Hislop makes all kinds of wild and totally false connections between the Roman Catholic Church and the ancient Sumerian religions of the old Babylonian region.

Allow me to give you an example of the kind of baseless connections Hislop makes. He claims that the mitre worn by Roman Catholic priests was adopted from the ancient Phillistines who worshipped Dagon, the fish-god. Here’s an archaeological artifact showing a priest of Dagon in his “fish hat.”

dagonfishheadmitre2_zps1fe4265d.jpg

Notice the shape of the top of the headdress? Now Hislop jumped to the conclusion that a religion that had died out centuries before and clothing that was worn by priests that early Christian had never seen was copied by the Roman Catholic Church and ergo, that is “proof” that the Roman Catholic Church is actually an adoption of the old Phillistine worship of Dagon.

But the truth is, most early Christians were Jews. And much of the outward trappings of the orthodox Christian churches (Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, etc.) were adopted from the Temple worship of Judaism. Now compare the Christian orthodox priest’s hat called a mitre ( from the Hebrew word mitznefet) with those worn by Jewish priests during the 2nd Temple period.

priestlymitres_zps682661e9.png

That just goes to show how ridiculous these supposed connections between Christianity and paganism really are. Hislop’s book has been thoroughly discredited by historians and archaeologists, however, his views have been picked up and popularized and with the advent of the internet they have once again become widely disseminated, some views of which lie at the heart of the comments you posted which I’d like to address.

Sweet Pea said:
"Nearly all aspects of Christmas observance have their roots in Roman custom and religion.
That is so not true, and if you read carefully you will see that even the “quotes” which are used to attempt to prove that statement do not in fact support that statement at all.

Sweet Pea said:
Consider the following admission from a large American newspaper (The Buffalo News, Nov. 22, 1984): “The earliest reference to Christmas being marked on Dec. 25

Now that part is true, and I cited three of them in an earlier post.

Sweet Pea said:
It is considered likely the first Christmas celebrations were in reaction to the Roman Saturnalia …
You will see this kind of massaging of the truth repeatedly, at least among the somewhat more credible writers. They know there is no actual evidence for what they are about to say so they include such phrases as “it is likely,” or “it may be,” or “some consider it,” or “it is possible,” or some other such phrasing which basically is an admission that there is no actual evidence to support what they are about to say but, nevertheless, after that brief disclaimer they will go on as if the claim they are making is in fact an undeniable truth. Notice that when you read these websites.

Sweet Pea said:
… a harvest festival that marked the winter solstice—the return of the sun—and honored Saturn, the god of sowing. Saturnalia was a rowdy time, much opposed by the more austere leaders among the still-minority Christian sect. Christmas developed, one scholar says, as a means of replacing worship of the sun with worship of the Son.
The “scholar” who started this bit of dishonesty was Hislop, who is never actually quoted or cited, perhaps because he has been so thoroughly discredited that it would immediately discredit the claim, or more likely because the author of this statement you quoted has no idea where that view actually came from but it serves the purpose of discrediting the Christian observance so the writer runs with it even though he probably has no idea where it actually came from.

Sweet Pea said:
By 529 A.D., after Christianity had become the official state religion of the Roman Empire, Emperor Justinian made Christmas a civic holiday.
And Christmas was declared a federal holiday in the U.S. in 1870. What does recognition of Christmas by a government have to do with when the church first began to celebrate Christmas? Nothing!

Sweet Pea said:
The celebration of Christmas reached its peak—some would say its worst moments—in the medieval period when it became a time for conspicuous consumption and unequaled revelry.”
And the same thing is happening today in America, when non-Christians (or even nominal-Christians) celebrate a Christian holiday but ignore or strip it of any religious significance what you have left is an excuse to party. That’s not the fault of Christmas, it’s the fault of a society which chooses to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ in such a irreligious way.

Continued …

Again, can't post second part, will try later ...
P.S. In the photo above of Christian Orthodox priestly mitres, on the left is the Jewish Priest in white and the High Priest in blue. Top left is the Coptic mitre, top right Russian Orthodox, bottom left Roman Catholic, and bottom right Eastern Orthodox.

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sweet Pea said:
Consider these quotes from the Catholic Encyclopedia, 1911 edition, under “Christmas”: “Christmas was not among the earliest festivals of the Church…the first evidence of the feast is from Egypt.”
That is true. The anti-Catholic Hislop who credited the Roman Catholic Church with the “adoption” of Christmas from pagans under Constantine did not realize, not actually being an historian, that it was in fact the Coptic Church of Alexandria Egypt, founded in 42 A.D. by Mark the Evangelist (author of the second Gospel), that first officially recognized the “Feast of the Nativity,” as it was called in the beginning. The church at Rome at first did not recognize the feast deeming it an “oriental invention.”

Sweet Pea said:
Further, “Pagan customs centering around the January calends gravitated to Christmas.”
Notice there is nothing offered by way of evidence for this? Again, it is simply assumed by those who wish to do so that the customs of Christmas are derived from pagan customs based on the fanciful and historically erroneous writings of Hislop, sometimes based on absolutely nothing more than, for example, the fact that two words sound similar (Easter – Ishtar) but without any knowledge of the etymological source of the English word. The actual evidence from the historical records tells a very different story, that it was in fact pagans who adopted many Christian beliefs and observances, not the other way around. And that is from the record of Roman Emperors and Norse Kings. For example, it is repeated ad nauseum that Christians adopted many of the “Yule” customs, but the actual historical record says exactly the opposite. A passage from the "Ynglinga saga," the first book of "Heimskringla" (the history of the ancient Norse kings), states that King Haakon (920-961 A.D.), who had become a Christian when his kingdom was still steeped in paganism, passed a law that established that Yule celebrations were to take place at the same time as when the Christians held their celebration.

Now this was hundreds of years after Christians were celebrating Jesus' birth on December 25 and not only refutes the notion that Christmas is an adoption of old pagan Yule festivals but instead demonstrates with evidence from ancient written documents that in fact the opposite was the case, it was the Yule celebration that was changed to coincide with Christmas.

Sweet Pea said:
Under “Natal Day,” Origen, an early Catholic writer, admitted, “…In the Scriptures, no one is recorded to have kept a feast or held a great banquet on his birthday. It is only sinners(like Pharaoh and Herod) who make great rejoicings over the day in which they were born into this world” (emphasis mine).
First of all Origin was a Copt, not Catholic. And secondly Origin was known as an extreme ascetic who went so far, it is reported by Eusebius, as to castrate himself. That he would oppose the celebration of Jesus’ birth does not in any way suggest that it wasn’t being celebrated. Indeed, it argues for the fact that it was being celebrated else why would Origin have cause to criticize it?

Sweet Pea said:
The Encyclopedia Americana, 1956 edition, adds, “Christmas…was not observed in the first centuries of the Christian church …
That’s not true. There are second century records of Christians observing the feast of the nativity. People take the fact that Christmas was officially recognized by the church at Rome in the early 4th century and they conclude that therefore Christmas wasn’t being observed at all before that time. But that is so obviously not true that it begs the question why any honest scholar would make such a claim?

Sweet Pea said:
... a feast was established in memory of this event [Christ's birth] in the fourth century.
The article leaves out the important word “officially,” the feast celebrating the birth of Christ was officially established in the 4th century, along with other matters of corporate worship that had been observed since the beginning of the faith but were also officially established during this period as the persecution of Christianity ended and the churches were able to worship publicly. The churches (Roman, Coptic, Eastern Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, etc.) all began to draw up an official calendar of feast days and fast days for public worship, but that was based on celebrations that had long been observed, not something they created at the time.

Sweet Pea said:
In the fifth century the Western Church ordered the feast to be celebrated forever on the day of the Mithraic rites of the birth of the sun and at the close of the Saturnalia, as no certain knowledge of the day of Christ's birth existed.”
Again, where is the historical document that states that Christians, who had been celebrating the birth of Jesus on December 25 since the 2nd century and officially since the 4th century, suddenly decided in the 5th century to adopt a celebration of a religion that had completely died out and that never celebrated anything on December 25 to begin with? And the Saturnalia “closed” on December 22 with the winter solstice, not December 25, plus it is well established that December 25 was recognized by many Christians as the date of Jesus ‘birth as far back as the 2nd century. But all the actual historical evidence notwithstanding, such claims as that are made continually not because they are true, but because those who say it believe it to be true and are either ignorant of the actual facts of history or are blinded by their anti-Christian or anti-Catholic prejudices.

Sweet Pea said:
There is no mistaking the origin of the modern Christmas celebration. Many additional sources could be cited and we will return to this later. Let's begin to tie some other facts together.
There is nothing “pagan” about either Christmas or Easter customs, they are all of Christian origins. What is true is that many of these customs were developed before the Protestant reformation. The Protestant churches have continued to observe many of these customs without the accompanying religious exercises which led to them so they have forgotten the purpose of them. Not knowing the history and purpose of our Christmas and Easter customs many Christians are easily misled into thinking they are of pagan origins, such as Easter eggs and baby chicks and Christmas trees which Hislop claims and his followers are screaming derive from ancient fertility worship! What utter nonsense.

Sweet Pea said:
It was 300 years after Christ before the Roman church kept Christmas, and not until the fifth century that it was mandated to be kept throughout the empire as an official festival honoring “Christ.”
That is a half truth. It wasn’t until 300 years after Christ that the church at Rome “officially” kept Christmas and it wasn’t until the 5th century that the Roman State officially adopted Christmas as a public holiday. And it wasn’t until the 18th century that America officially adopted Christmas as a public holiday, but to imply as these websites invariably do that Christmas wasn’t observed until Rome officially recognized it is nothing less than dishonest.

Sweet Pea said:
From Alexander Hislop and also the Watchtower Society. On the first, most students probably don’t even know the original source of much of the anti-Catholic rhetoric they are espousing, they just run with it and repeat it. And as for the second, very, very rarely will you find a Jehovah’s Witness who will actually cite the Watchtower Society tract or book they get their information from.

Sweet Pea, please understand that there are many, many more wolves than there are sheep of Christ’s pasture, so take everything you read with a grain of salt, know the source, check to see if they actually provide any historical evidence that actually supports what they claim, and then fact check everything from original sources. Yes, it is much more work, but as the old adage so aptly says, “Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow, if you would find pearls … you must dive below.”

A Servant of Jesus Christ,
Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sweet Pea said:
Hi Sweet Pea, I have a little time and wanted to elaborate on my answer about the source of all this "Christianity borrowed from paganism" claims that are so popular and all over the internet.

I won’t offer a complete critique of Hislop’s book, but since you inquired about the source of many of these “pagan” theories, let me mention a couple of things.

In his theory of the pagan origins of the Roman Catholic Church, Hislop identified no less than 58 different gods, spread out over a 4000 year period, among nations ranging from Egypt to Babylon to Greece to Rome, and he identified them all as adaptations of one ancient Babylonian god … Nimrod.

However, the only thing that is actually known about Nimrod is what is recorded in Scripture in only four verses, that name is not found anywhere in the historical or archaeological records.

The four verses in Scripture are:

Gensis 10:8,9 “And Cush began Nimrod; he began to be a mighty one in the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord. And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.” (Shinar = Mesopotamia) Genesis 10:8-9

“And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be mighty upon the earth.” 1 Chronicles 1:10, Micah 5:6

“And they shall waste the land of Assyria with the sword, and the land of Nimrod in the entrances thereof.” Micah 5:6:

And this is all that is actually known about Nimrod, that he was a ruler of the late Early Bronze Age, a son of Cush, a mighty hunter, who was the first ruler of Mesopotamia after the flood. And that’s it. That’s all that is actually known about Nimrod. The name does not appear in any historical or archaeological records.

The only possible link that can be made from the historical record comes from the Babylonian historian named Berossus who wrote a history of Babylon in the 3rd century B.C. His works are lost to us, but the 4th century historian Eusebius of Caesarea had access to the works and he reports that according to Berossus the first king of Babylon after the flood was Euechoios of Chaldea, whom Eusebius consequently identified as Nimrod. This was seconded by the Byzantine historian, Syncellus, who also had access to the works of Berossus and he confirms that Berossus identifies the first king of Babylon after the flood as Euechoios whom Syncellus also connects with Nimrod. And in recent times, Sumerologists have suggested that the first king of Babylon, Euechoios/Euechorus (long identified as Nimrod), should be identified with Enmerkar, the name of the founder of Uruk known from cuneiform, who was the grandfather of Gilgamesh. I should note here that Hislop also identifies Gilgamesh as ... Nimrod! Which just shows to what lengths Hislop went to try to make connections that would bring ancient Babylonian pagan worship up through the millennia to Christian Rome.

Beyond this, there is no Biblical, historical, or archaeological information about Nimrod.

However, if you look at Rabbinic Jewish and Islamic traditions you will find all kinds of speculation and traditions about Nimrod, including stories about how Nimrod tried to have Abraham killed as an infant by having all the males infants slain and how later Nimrod tried to kill Abraham by having him thrown in a fire but Abraham walked out unscathed, and even more fanciful stories.

These old legends and fables elevate Nimrod from a man to a god and attribute to him all kinds of powers, and if your inclinations run toward such fanciful imagination there is an abundance of material you can easily find.

But the actual historical and archaeological record does not identify Nimrod nor does it record that Nimrod was anything other than a mortal man who was a ruler of Babylon and a mighty hunter. The rest, including his elevation to diety status, is speculation and fable that comes from Rabbinic Jewish and Islamic traditions.

But these Rabbinic Jewish and Islamic traditions is what Hislop used to build his case against the church at Rome. He does this by citing what are often very insignificant and at times ridiculously inconsequential similarities between all these divergent gods while completely ignoring gaping differences. And in his attempt to vilify the Roman Catholic Church, he in fact undermines the entire Christian faith.

So it is little wonder that atheists and other anti-Christian groups have picked up on this theory of Christianity “borrowing” from paganism and are having a field day with it in their efforts to undermine both the influence of Christianity and the veracity of the Biblical text. But the whole theory is nothing more than vain imagination parading as history.

And as a final note, Charles Taze Russell (1852-1916) from a Scottish Presbyterian family, was heavily influenced by “The Two Babylons” (written in 1881) by the Scottish minister Alexander Hislop (1807-1865) and these anti-Christian mythological doctrines are still held by modern-day Jehovah’s Witnesses who view all of Christendom as “Babylon the Great.”

And they accuse us Christians of favoring “traditions of men” over Biblical evidence!

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
Another of the many problems with Hislop is his claim about the origins of the Cross used by Christianity. He states: "That which is now called the Christian cross was originally not Christian emblem at all, but was the mystic Tau of the Chaldeans and Egyptians--the true original form of the letter T--the initial of the name Tammuz--which, in Hebrew, radically the same as ancient Chaldee, was found on coins." (page 190-191)

Now I'm sure this may sound convincing to those who have never studied these ancient civilizations, either their religion or their language. The first and most obvious problem is that the letter "Tau" (T) is the 19th letter of the Greek alphabet, which wasn’t even developed until the early 8th century B.C., thousands of years after the establishment of the worship of Tammuz in ancient Sumeria and later Babylon.

And secondly, the name “Tammuz” is the Hebrew name for the ancient Sumerian deity who was not called Tammuz but was called in both ancient Sumerian and later Babylonian “Dumuzid/Dumuzi.”

An excavation of the ancient city of Nippur in modern day Iraq (ancient Babylon), which flourished from the Sumerian period of 5000 B.C. up until 800 A.D., has discovered thousands of clay tablets. This is a photo circa 1899 of the excavation in progress:

Nippurcirca1899wheretabletswereexcavated_zps8a1642f9.jpg

Among the 30,000 tablets is a tablet (NI4486) which records the Babylonian lament for the annual death of Dumuzid (called Tammuz by the Hebrews). Below is the translation:

Lines 1-5: “She can make the lament for you, my Dumuzid, the lament for you, the lament, the lamentation, reach the desert – she can make it reach the house of Arali; she can make it reach Bad-Tibira; she can make it reach Du-suba; she can make it reach the shepherding country, the sheepfold of Dumuzid
Line 6-25 fragmented or missing
Line 26: she broods on it:
Lines 27-30: O Dumuzid of the fair-spoken mouth, of the ever kind eyes,” she sob tearfully, “O you of the fair-spoken mouth, of the ever kind eyes,” she sobs tearfully. “Lad, husband, lord, sweet as the date, O Dumuzid,” she sobs, she sobs tearfully.”

(A link for further information on the excavation is here:)
http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/projects/nip/

This is the practice of "weeping" that Ezekiel saw the women doing in the Temple on one of the many occasions when Israel fell into idolatry.

It is clear from these tablets that the Babylonians did not call Tammuz by the Hebrew name nor did they use the first letter of the Hebrew name Tammuz as a religious symbol for a god they called Dumuzid. This is sheer fabrication on the part of Hislop, as is much of his other theories of Christian adoption of paganism.

This just demonstrates the kind of lengths that Hislop would go to in order to try to support and, at least in his imagination, prove his theory that “Mystery Babylon” of the Revelation is the Roman Catholic Church.

In the opening and closing pages of his book he makes the following glaringly biased statement that gives evidence that his book is not an impartial inquiry into possible historical links between ancient Babylon and Christian Rome, but rather his book is a concerted effort to forge and even fabricate links to conform history to his interpretation of the Bible.

“Now to establish the identity between the systems of ancient Babylon and Papal Rome, we have just to inquire in how far does the system of the Papacy agree with the system established in these Babylonian Mysteries. In prosecuting such an inquiry there are considerable difficulties to be overcome … Thus, altogether independent of historical evidence on this point, we are brought to the irresistible conclusion that the worship of Rome is one vast system of Devil-worship. If it be once admitted that the Pope is the head of the beast from the sea, then we are bound, on the mere testimony of God, without any other evidence whatever, to receive this as a fact, that, consciously or unconsciously, those who worship the Pope are actually worshipping the Devil.”

And yet this is the basis of the current rush to judgment of so many who take up these fallacious arguments to falsely accuse and unjustly condemn not just the Roman Catholic Church, but all of Christendom, including the celebration of the two greatest events in the history of the world ... the birth ... and the resurrection from death ... of the Son of God.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer