Christmas

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rach,

I'm not going to answer a bunch of questions about John 4:24.... It's pretty straight forward. You must worship in spirit and in truth... It's not like we are figuring out what the wings of the morning are or what the 7 thunders said...Birthday party or not.... Is it the truth or not?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Well, of course you don't want to discuss it. You want to hold everyone to a rigid adherance to what you see as a straight forward understanding of it. The very big problem with your understanding, is that it doesn't play out. What it does is slowly bind you tighter and tighter until the very freedom Christ died to give you is gone. That is, of course, unless you are not actually fully living to your own claims, in which case you will jump up and down when it suits you, and go on your merry way when it does not.

Very well, you don't need to discuss it if you don't want to....but I do believe that for you to continue this conversation with a measure of credibility, I do wish you would reply to whether or not you've celebrated a birthday before....

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
The last time that I checked, nobody participating in this discussion is the final authority on what is the "truth" that John 4:24 refers to.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rach said:
Well, of course you don't want to discuss it. You want to hold everyone to a rigid adherance to what you see as a straight forward understanding of it. The very big problem with your understanding, is that it doesn't play out. What it does is slowly bind you tighter and tighter until the very freedom Christ died to give you is gone. That is, of course, unless you are not actually fully living to your own claims, in which case you will jump up and down when it suits you, and go on your merry way when it does not.

Very well, you don't need to discuss it if you don't want to....but I do believe that for you to continue this conversation with a measure of credibility, I do wish you would reply to whether or not you've celebrated a birthday before....
Sorry Rach.... I'm not going to play those games...
Dodo_David said:
The last time that I checked, nobody participating in this discussion is the final authority on what is the "truth" that John 4:24 refers to.
Does it matter? Do you think at any time it is ok to worship in error?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
FHII said:
If you don't know what "worshipping in truth" is then how do you know what "worshipping in error" is?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
If you don't know what "worshipping in truth" is then how do you know what "worshipping in error" is?
Well, that's a good point.... They don't know what truth is so they certainly aren't going to know what error is.... I suppose verse 4:22 is about them.... They don't know what they worship.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
FHII said:
Sorry Rach.... I'm not going to play those games...

See.....I have zero wish to play games. But the problem is, you are here laying down a rule that you clearly haven't thought all the way through. You are so intent on the word 'truth' there, and its exact meaning in that context, that you don't seem to realise that if you were to follow it through rationally to the logical end, not even you, presumably, would be following it all the time.
And that, I suspect, is why you don't want to "play games"....because answering any of those questions will prove that to be the case.

Do you celebrate birthdays?
Do you worship on Sundays...or Saturdays...or any days?
Do you take communion?
Do you sing songs of praise?
Do you celebrate the death or resurrection?
And on and on it goes.

You were not an eyewitness to the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. So that means you have to, in every aspect of your life, depend on scripture. As belief in Christ permeates every corner of our lives, then at some point...in reality, probably many times a day, you will be doing something, reading something, praising somehow, in a way that seems good to you and is encouraged by scripture. The problem with your interpretation here, is that you are saying that unless it was done in the exact manner as it was done in Christ's time, then it is "untruthful" and therefore sinful. But the bible doesn't give us exact blueprints of everyday life as Christians....at times it will just say...praise him. Worship him. Remember him. Love him with all your heart and soul. You cannot lay down religious rules for such commands...

Your premise cannot work. It's as simple as that. No games, just fact.

Also....you keep missing my point. I am not celebrating that the 25th is Jesus birthday....I am celebrating Jesus birthday ON the 25th. That's actually a significant difference...one you don't seem to understand. If I say "Yay, the 25th is when Jesus was born...that makes it a holy day that I will keep sacred"....then perhaps...perhaps, you have a point. But that is not what I am doing. What I am doing is "Jesus came into the world to save me. I will recognise this incredible, life changing event...and I will do so on the 25th, when I can recognise this event with my family." Big difference. So...I am not 'worshipping in error' as you term it. I celebrate that Jesus became a baby....fact. I celebrate that when that happened the world changed forever....fact. There is no error there.

Reactions: aspen

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
WE spend christmas day with the grand kids ..i love watching them open presents ..one of us oldsters reads the christmas story from the bible

we also have a wonderful dinner.. we enjoy the whole day with every one .. we also remember those who are no longer with us yet made us laugh when they were .

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
You keep talking about how honest you are and I believe you. What about me? Do you believe I’m an honest person too?
That’s what these discussion generally determine. I don’t think it’s exactly honest to point to a ski resort 150 miles north in the Golan Heights on Mt. Hermon which is 9000 feet above sea level … and what? that’s supposed to tell us something about the weather conditions in Bethlehem? I mean, I could have pointed to the desert resort 22 miles east of Jerusalem at the Dead Sea where Christmastime sees an average low of 55 degrees and an average high of 72 degrees! …

… but I didn’t mention that because I know that would be misleading because the conditions at the Dead Sea in the Jordan Rift Valley, which is actually below sea level and the lowest spot on earth, in no way represents what conditions are like just 22 miles west up in the hill country.

So being familiar with these kinds of extremes in Israel, honesty compels me to point out the actual weather data in Bethlehem itself, not what it’s like in totally different conditions in some other area, even if it’s only 20 miles away at the Dead Sea, let alone 150 miles away on a 9000 foot high mountain.

Nor do I think it is exactly honest to point out the coldest winters Bethlehem/Jerusalem ever experience as though that is somehow a “realistic representation.”

FHII said:
Snow in Jerusalem is not the norm. Bright sunny skies is normal, but that doesn’t mean every day is like that.
Of course every night in Bethlehem is not 42 degrees and every day is not 57 degrees. I never said or implied that it was. Certainly some years are colder (by the way, the coldest December on record in Bethlehem is 30.2 degrees)…

… but if you’re going to bring up the coldest years, then you are forced by honesty to look at the warmest years too. The warmest December in Bethlehem was 84.2 degrees!

However, honesty precludes me from using data from the warmest December on record as though that is a “realistic representation” of the weather. We can’t look at the extreme years, we have to look at the average, the normal years. And the fact that normally the nights are 42 degrees and days are 57 degrees means it is simply not true that the weather in Bethlehem in December is too cold for sheep to be in the fields and for people to travel. That is simply not a valid argument against a December birth because it is simply not true. Normally the weather in Bethlehem in December is rather mild by western standards, as I said in my opening post on this subject, and I believe the facts have borne that out.

FHII said:
I asked you about why the locals believed that March 25th was the conception date of Jesus. How did they come up with it? You provided me with no concrete answer. I DO actually have an answer to that… [/font][/size][/sub] Jewish customs and beliefs… In other words, fables.
I have kept a subscription to BAR since the early 1980’s. I followed the efforts of Hershel Shanks to force the publication of the DSS manuscripts, I even have framed and on display in my office the two-page spread from the November/December 1989 “Herod’s Temple Mount – Stone by Stone” edition showing the first major publication of Leen Ritmeyer’s reconstruction drawing of the Temple Mount, so I’m very familiar with the magazine. As a long-time reader, and also a student of New Testament history, I have learned to glean the latest and most accurate archaeological information from the magazine which is generally well-supported with evidence, but when it comes to their occasional doctrinal opinion pieces … they are frankly disappointing.

For example, the small portion in the BAR article about the December 25/January 6 Christmas dates is not only disappointing, it is downright misleading! December 25 on the old Julian calendar, which some eastern churches still use, IS January 6 on the Gregorian calendar which the western churches use! Churches in the east and the west all celebrate Jesus’ birth on December 25, but they use different calendars and December 25 on one is not December 25 on the other. And yet, Mr McGowan (whether out of ignorance or out of ulterior motives I do not know, let God judge) presents the totally bogus explanation that some churches changed Christmas from January 6 to December 25 to coincide with pagan solstice celebrations! Four Pinocchios on that one Mr. McGowan! FHII, you have to fact-check everybody, don’t believe everything you read, and I don’t care if it was written by a Pope, a King, a theologian, a scholar, a magazine writer, an encyclopedia article author, a website publisher, or a board of directors! Fact check everything!

That said, I will say that Mr. McGowan did qualify what he was saying, the whole article from beginning to end says “might suggest” and “might well have been,” which is what someone says when they know they have no case and therefore cannot say these things are so but are in truth only suggesting what maybe just might possibly have happened. And here is how he concluded his piece:

“In the end we are left with a question: How did December 25 become Christmas? We cannot be entirely sure. Elements of the festival that developed from the fourth century until modern times may well derive from pagan traditions. Yet the actual date might really derive from Judaism.”

So let me get this straight, there’s no actual evidence that Jesus wasn’t born on December 25. All there is really is some people just making statements that he couldn’t have been then as though that is a settled fact, and that’s all they’ve got. And when it comes to the possible explanations of where that date came from, Mr. McGowan lists and at some length discusses the anti-Christmas ideas about where the date came from, and yet, he completely fails to even mention another possibility, one which actually has evidence to support it, but he doesn’t even throw it out there as even a remote possibility … that just maybe Jesus was in fact born on December 25! The fact that he failed to even consider it speaks volumes.

FHII said:
I don’t claim to know the date or season of Jesus’ birth, but these sources agree with my belief that the “lamb of God” was born in the spring. Furthermore, Clement wasn’t claiming a date, he was quoting many sources.
You claim to know that Jesus wasn’t born in December, although you cannot actually offer any kind of evidence to prove it. But no matter, you have some men who agree with you that Jesus was born in the spring, so, what? that’s supposed to prove something? I’m not so easily influenced that I’ll accept someone’s statement at face value without even a shred of evidence to support it.

And about Clement of the Coptic Church of Egypt, there’s a controversy about the translation of the text. At the time that Clement was writing there was disagreement about whether the “incarnation” should be considered the conception in the spring, or his birth in winter. There were arguments both ways. Eventually the birth date came to dominate over the date of conception, perhaps because the date of the conception was overshadowed by the Passion which occurs at the same time.

But again, there is not one iota of evidence that these dates, which date back to the earliest years of Christianity, are not in fact based on actual dates. All the arguments to the contrary rest on what some people believe even though the evidence does not support it.

But the point to be learned from this FHII, is not that the early mention of December 25 as the date of Jesus’ birth actually proves he was born then (although it is certainly strong evidence that has to be taken into a fair and honest consideration). But what this does prove is that the date is much more likely to have come from an early and honest belief that Jesus was born on that date than the usual excuses that the date came from “pagan influences,” or even from Jewish fables, for which I might add no one shred of evidence is ever offered to support this either, it’s just speculation about “maybe,” “might suggest,” “may possibly have been,” ad nauseam.

[sub][size=NaN]Next, let me go to the Bible. Jesus said in Mat 24:20: “Pray that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day.”[/size][/sub]

On that issue, Jesus said “then let them which be in Judaea flee.” He wasn’t talking about difficulty of traveling around in the country, but the difficulty of leaving the country. In winter the shipping lanes closed. The roads leading north climb up into the Golan heights and mountainous regions of the Lebanon. To the east across the Jordan Valley is the mountains of Moab. Only the southern route into Egypt allowed easy passage. Travel in and out of Israel was much more difficult in winter, and even in spring and fall, which is why Passover and Tabernacles was most heavily attended by locals within the country, whereas Pentecost in summer was the most heavily attended by Jews or foreigners living outside the country, as Acts 2 shows. So when Jesus spoke to pray their flight be in not in winter it wasn’t because weather was so bad in Israel, but because leaving Israel and traveling to other countries was so much more difficult in winter.

FHII said:
The Bible never says Jacob was in the field when he got frost bitten.
Are you suggesting he got frost bitten inside a cave or building? Of course he was outside at night, and I agree the weather is not the same, it is actually colder[/n] in Haran than in Bethlehem, and yet, Jacob was outside with the sheep year round. Now I know you’re not fond of pictures, but here’s a photo in December of the tell which was ancient Haran …

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tadolo/6678151461/in/photostream/

FHII said:
So yes…. You have this one incident … You produce 2 or 3 incidences, then you have a reason to be believed.
Seriously? I have provided Biblical evidence of Jacob staying out with his flocks night and day summer and winter and you say I need to produce 2 or 3 incidences to be believed? Well how many incidences have you produced??? You can’t even produce 1 and yet you insist I have to produce 2 or 3? How can that possibly be considered fair, honest, truthful examination of the facts?

FHII said:
You’ve got three obscure testimonies (they are obscure not because I say they are, but because every major encyclopedia I’ve read fails to mention them) …
What? So historical writings don’t count if some “major encyclopedia” doesn’t mention them? Is that what you really believe?

FHII said:
You’ve got modern day photos of people in Jerusalem wearing either light or heavy coats who arrived there in automobiles and weren’t out in the weather for months on end.
That’s true, they are not shepherds, who were a bit more rugged than modern day tourists, but still, if young boys can withstand the rigors of Christmas Eve in Bethlehem in nothing but long sleeved shirts (as we see in the video) then I find it hard to credit that being outside would be too difficult for rugged shepherds or woolly sheep. And yes, that video is far more indicative of what the weather is normally like on Christmas Eve than conditions on Mt. Hermon during January and February.

FHII said:
And you have weather.com along with your own belief that it’s ok weather.
I think it is a fair and honest conclusion to make that 42 degree nights would not be a problem for woolly sheep and rugged shepherds to be out in the fields, nor would 57 degree days be a problem for people to travel … on foot … up and down hills, through rugged terrain. In fact, I would think those would be very rather pleasant day time temperatures for such strenuous exercise, I have a small acreage of ornamental gardens and I watch my winter weather and I’m out in the gardens here anytime the weather is near 60 degrees and if I’m doing some strenuous work I have to shed my jacket and work in my shirt sleeves in those conditions. How about you? 57 degree days keep you shut up inside?

FHII said:
I have noted biblical historians that say …

But do they prove what they say with facts? Do they quote historical sources? Do they cite the actual weather data? Where’s their evidence? They don’t actually cite any evidence because there isn’t any evidence to support what they’re saying.

FHII said:
it is not likely that Jesus was born in December
Based on what? The fact that it snows on Mt. Hermon in January?

FHII said:
as well as Jesus himself saying travel I difficult in winter thus it’s not a good idea to be paying taxes or travelling (especially with a pregnant woman) or shepherding.
Jesus didn’t say travel in Judaea was difficult in winter. He went up to Jerusalem to celebrate the feast of the Dedication which most years coincides with Christmas. What Jesus implied was that it would be difficult to “flee Judaea” in winter.

FHII said:
I’ve got witnesses who has been to Israel and talked to shepherds.
Who said what? That all the sheep are brought “inside” in winter? Or that they are brought down from the northern, higher mountainous regions where they go in summer to escape the heat and drought in the southern desert areas where the grasses all burn up and die in summer and the water holes all dry up, which is the way Josephus describes the summer dry season in Judaea. The kamseem winds blow in from the south off the Negev desert coating everything with a fine layer of gritty dust. The ground literally cracks open from the dryness. But then in the fall the winds shift around from the east/northeast, blowing in off the Mediterranean. The cooler temperatures and moist air blows in off the sea and bumps into the hotter, dryer air inland and it creates storm clouds, and the rains begin, which after a long, hot dry season are welcome. As the rains in September and October finally soften the parched, cracked earth, the farmers go out into the fields to break ground and begin to plant their grains, which will grow over winter, nourished by the winter rains, and be harvested in the spring (for the barley, the earliest crop) and in the early summer (for the wheat, the latest crop).

This is proven by the fact that the Biblical feasts, indeed, the whole Old Covenant festival calendar, is based on these seasons of planting and harvest, so this isn’t speculation, it’s the facts.

So what all this boils down to is that you cannot produce any actual evidence against a December birth. You can only multiply men who express the opinion that it’s too cold, but they cannot produce any evidence either.

That’s because there is none. Normal winter weather in December is not too cold for sheep to be in the fields, or for people to travel.

Let’s look at some more evidence: The flock kept at Bethlehem was no ordinary flock. The “Temple flock” was kept at Bethlehem, and they would be “in the fields” year round as there was a year-found demand for sacrifices. The Law (Exodus 29:38-39) required that a lamb of a year old be offered morning and evening, day after day, in summer and winter, all the year long, regardless of weather. That’s two lambs per day, 354 days per years, for 708 lambs per year. A ewe can throw a lamb (occasionally twins) once a year. That’s close to a thousand ewes and a ram just to provide year old lambs just for the daily sacrifice. And these lambs had to be available for sacrifice in Jerusalem year round, day after day, morning and evening, no matter the weather.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

The "truth" is that there is no credible reason to toss out December 25 as the actual date of Jesus' birth, there is only anti-Christian opinion and speculation which is not supported by the facts.

1) The facts are that normally the weather in Bethlehem in December is rather mild by western standards, at 42 degrees certainly not cold enough at night to require woolly sheep and rugged outdoors men to be shut up inside.

2) There are in fact historical documents dating back to within 100 years of Jesus that state that the flocks at Bethlehem were in the fields year round.

3) There are historical records that state that the flocks kept at Bethlehem were not ordinary flocks but the "Temple flocks," ergo, flocks kept to raise animals for sacrifice (708 for the morning and evening sacrifice alone), which were required to be available year round, day after day, regardless of the weather.

4) The Gospels indicate that the shepherds that kept watch of the flock at Bethlehem were not ordinary shepherds as they were not under the Rabbinic ban.

5) The Scriptures stated that the kingdom of the Christ would be announced from the Watchtower of the Flock, the old watchtower of the ruins of the royal Davidic-era palace at Bethlehem, which during 2nd Temple times was being used by shepherds keeping watch over the Temple Flock.

6) The fact is that the normal day time temperatures of 57 degrees is rather pleasant for those traveling on foot over hilly, rugged terrain. And for those who wish to travel by way of the Jordan River which runs the length of Israel from the Galilee in the north to the Dead Sea in the south, the temperatures average around 10 degrees warmer than in the hill country. And for those who chose the coastal route the temperatures are warmer there as well.

7)There are also historical documents dating back to within 100 years of Jesus which state that he was born on December 25.

These are the facts.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
But more facts:

8) Josephus mentions an oath of allegiance that the people were required to swear to that can be dated to early winter of 6 B.C., but which met with wholesale resistance led by 6000 Pharisees.

9) The census would have been conducted according to Jewish law, which required that the people be counted by "tribes" requiring them to return to their ancestral homes.

10) The priestly course to which Zacharias belonged was on duty in the Temple from October 2 to October 9 in 6 B.C.

11) The traditional date of the birth of John the Baptist is June 14. He was six months older than Jesus.

12) It is not likely that the New Testament church would have no interest in preserving the important dates associated with the life of Christ, including his conception and birth, and that information would be readily available from Mary.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to add to a comment I made in my previous post and make two corrections.

The first correction is that the photo of the mound (tell) which was once ancient Haran was not taken in December, but in January which is actually colder than December. And yet obviously there are sheep in the fields.

Second correction, I stated that the traditional date of the birth of John the Baptist was June 14, which was a typo, it is actually June 24.

The comment I wanted to add to is:

Pilgrimer said:
Who said what? That all the sheep are brought “inside” in winter?
And I need to question just what you mean by that. Do you propose that there are huge barns all over Israel where sheep are brought “inside out of the cold weather?” Or are you suggesting something else?

But I wanted to add to this comment …

Pilgrimer said:
Or that they are brought down from the northern, higher mountainous regions where they go in summer to escape the heat and drought in the southern desert areas where the grasses all burn up and die in summer and the water holes all dry up, which is the way Josephus describes the summer dry season in Judaea. The kamseem winds blow in from the south off the Negev desert coating everything with a fine layer of gritty dust. The ground literally cracks open from the dryness. But then in the fall the winds shift around from the east/northeast, blowing in off the Mediterranean. The cooler temperatures and moist air blows in off the sea and bumps into the hotter, dryer air inland and it creates storm clouds, and the rains begin, which after a long, hot dry season are welcome. As the rains in September and October finally soften the parched, cracked earth, the farmers go out into the fields to break ground and begin to plant their grains, which will grow over winter, nourished by the winter rains, and be harvested in the spring (for the barley, the earliest crop) and in the early summer (for the wheat, the latest crop).

This is proven by the fact that the Biblical feasts, indeed, the whole Old Covenant festival calendar, is based on these seasons of planting and harvest, so this isn’t speculation, it’s the facts.
The point of the above was that during the dry season the flocks of sheep were driven up north into the regions where there was more rain, and therefore more grass and water available. Then in the fall, after the fall rains began and the hillsides and valleys of the Judean hill country turned green and water holes once more filled up, then the shepherds would bring the flocks “home” where they remained throughout the fall, winter, and spring, leaving once more for the northern regions when the next dry season began.

This is what the Rabbis meant when they said the flocks “went out” in the spring and “returned” again in the fall. They didn’t imply that the animals were brought in out of the fields into shelters in fall and not turned out into the fields again till spring. That would be exorbitantly expensive as the animals would have to be fed all winter, grain or at the very least hay, not to mention how many thousands of gallons of water for a large flock of sheep, and huge barns to house them? The impracticality is obvious.

I’ll give you a little help FHII, this idea about the sheep not being the fields in winter comes from the Talmudic reference that I just mentioned, which says the “wilderness flocks” “went out” in the spring and “returned” in the fall, referring to the migration north for the dry season and then back south in the fall. But some have taken that passage and twisted the meaning to suggest that animals were not “out in the fields” in the winter and thus December 25 could not be the actual date of Jesus’ birth. Whether they did so out of ignorance or ill intent only the One-Who-Knows-The-Heart can judge.

And for Biblical evidence, the account of Joseph being sold by his brothers into slavery is an example of this migratory nature of sheepherding in ancient Israel. When Jacob wished to have news of his sons who were tending his flocks, he sent Joseph to see them and then to report back to Jacob. Now Jacob lived in the valley of Hebron, which is south of Bethlehem, here’s a map …

HebrontoDothan2_zpsa70092ed.jpg

Hebron is where the patriarch Jacob lived with his sons, in the valley just west of Mt. Hebron. But the sons had driven the sheep up to Shechem, the length of Judaea and about half the length of the territory that would later become Samaria. But when Joseph arrived in Shechem he learned his brothers had moved further north, up to the area of Dothan. The mount where the city of Dothan once stood is pictured below, “tell Dothan,” with the valley where the brothers were grazing the flocks in the foreground and where they made the fateful decision that would shape the destiny of a nation, and the world …

DothaninbackgroundandDothanvalleyinforeground_zps2b48a549.jpg

Dothan has a fascinating history that I won’t go into here, but it’s also where Elisha’s servant had his eyes opened to see the mountain was filled with horses and chariots of fire surrounding Elisha and protecting him from the armies of Syria who were all struck blind by the Lord.

Mary and Joseph would have passed by the ruins of the ancient city, along the same ancient caravan route that the patriarchs had followed. How the stories from long ago, of kings and heros and villains, of wars fought and won and lost, must have crowded into her mind, reminding her of the miraculous events in the lives of ordinary people by an extraordinary God, which must have humbled her and at the same time greatly strengthened her faith …

But the point is that this was the nature of sheepherding in ancient times. The flocks moved up into the northern regions in summer and then returned to the hills and valleys of the southern region in fall to spend the winter in the more temperate region where grass and water was once more plentiful.

So to contend that sheep wouldn’t be out in the fields in the Bethlehem area in December simply does not have any evidence to support it, neither Biblical, historical, or otherwise. In fact, it is much more likely that there would be sheep “in the fields” in southern Judaea in December when there was grass and water available than at any other time of year.

But for more information on what can be expected in winter in Jerusalem/Bethlehem here’s what the “Jerusalem Insider’s Guide” has to say about the weather so we can all judge for ourselves when the issue of weather comes up:

http://www.jerusalem-insiders-guide.com/weather-in-jerusalem.html#sthash.mizJWmwg.dpbs

But that really isn’t the end of the matter. Because there is Biblical, historical, and traditional evidence that Bethlehem is where the “Temple flocks” were kept, on the sheep grounds just outside Bethlehem, in what has been known since the earliest time as the “shepherds’ field” near Beit Sahour, which today is a small thriving town adjacent to Bethlehem, but during New Testament times was the camp of the local shepherds.

And it should be noted too, that because of the migratory nature of sheepherding, it is very unusual, and perhaps the only known instance, of there being a “watch tower” for sheep. Such a permanent structure would not serve to watch over sheep which were constantly on the move, unless of course flocks were kept there year round, such as those needed day in and day out for sacrifice in the Temple, not to mention the many thousands which would have been purchased and quartered there until they were needed in the city. And all these thousands of animals had to be inspected by trained priests to assure their suitability for sacrifice … no signs of disease, injury, or infestations.

Besides, shepherds were under the same Rabbinic ban that others involved in trades which Levitically defiled them were under, and therefore Jews practiced a form of shunning which prohibited social interaction. And yet on the night of Christ’s birth we see the shepherds going around “making known abroad the saying” which the angels had told them about Jesus, which means they could not have been regular shepherds else they would have been prohibited from speaking with people, who might not have believed their testimony anyway, shepherds were not even allowed to testify in court, their witness was considered untrustworthy. So all these facts mean these could not have been ordinary shepherds, but were in fact the shepherds which kept watch over the Temple flocks and were therefore not under the Rabbinic ban so they were free to talk with everyone they saw about the miraculous events of the night.

Which was also prophesied in Micah, which stated that the coming of the kingdom would be announced from the Migdal Eder, the “Watchtower of the flock,” the old watchtower from the ruins of the castle of David. So the shepherds who kept watch from this old watchtower were in fact the first to announce the birth of the King of the Jews and the advent of the Kingdom of God.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
joshhuntnm said:
What do you do to make Christmas special?
To me Christmas is special regardless of what I might do. It is the day when the whole church worldwide shares the celebration of the birth of Jesus, and one of the ways we do is worship in song, after the example of the angels …

http://youtu.be/ToUUcCtJNPQ

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Pilgrimer said:
To me Christmas is special regardless of what I might do. It is the day when the whole church worldwide shares the celebration of the birth of Jesus, and one of the ways we do is worship in song, after the example of the angels …

http://youtu.be/ToUUcCtJNPQ

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Point of Information: The whole universal Church does not celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25th.

Members of the Eastern Orthodox branch of the universal Church celebrate the birth of Jesus on January 7th.

To find out why, click here.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
kepha31 said:
"...which led Luther to revise Scripture and declare the letter of St. James to be apocryphal. Here also we have the root of Calvin’s notion that some are predestined for heaven and others for hell by nothing but the arbitrary will of God. Nor are we surprised to find Protestant sects which have outlawed the celebration of Christmas itself, distrusting the human values and human joy which Christmas both represents and fulfills..."

The Incarnation
Luther did not revise scripture he translated into the language of the common German people..

And when translating SCRIPTURE into THAT different language Luther wanted them to know scriptures were now speaking German to them so they could understand it..

because Luther always took scripture seriously Luther had to be convinced James was part of scripture .

even after Luther's convincing he noted James taught no new doctrines .. and the other books taught what James taught MUCH
more clearly.. HIS ADVISE WAS TO GO TO THOSE OTHER BOOKS IN SCRIPTURE SO YOU COULD UNDERSTAND WHAT JAMES WAS SAYING MORE CLEARLY.

NOW IS THEIR ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT OUR PASTOR DR LUTHER?

ARE YOU AWARE LIGHTED CHRISTMAS TREE STARTED FROM LUTHER AND the advent wreath came from Lutheran Germans as well?

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
horsecamp, are you aware that you replied to a post that is over a year old? The person who wrote that post may not even be active here anymore.

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dodo_David said:
Point of Information: The whole universal Church does not celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25th.

Members of the Eastern Orthodox branch of the universal Church celebrate the birth of Jesus on January 7th.

To find out why, click here.
Counterpoint of information ... January 7 on the Gregorian calendaris December 25 on the Julian calendar ...

Thus, the whole universal Church celebrates Christmas on December 25.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Pilgrimer said:
Counterpoint of information ... January 7 on the Gregorian calendaris December 25 on the Julian calendar ...

Thus, the whole universal Church celebrates Christmas on December 25.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
Duh. That is stated in the article that I linked to. :p

Plenty of people are under the false impression that the birth of Jesus is celebrated only on December 25th of the Gregorian calendar.

When Western people refer to a date on a calendar, they usually refer to a date on the Gregorian calendar.

It's my guess that the majority of people don't know that there are two different calendars.

So, you and I are both correct. ^_^

Reactions: Pilgrimer

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pilgrimer,

I’ve been meaning to reply for quite some time. I’ve spent a lot of time fact checking and trying to run down sources of various statements that were made and researching various other things related to this topic. I have other spiritual studies to engage in, so I’m not going to post a “point by point” or “quote by quote” response.

1. You seem to fail to realize why I talk about snow in that area. I do so in protest to your portraying the weather as you do… 42/57 and “nice”. I have said on more than one occasion that it doesn’t snow that often, yet you seem to want to continue to talk about it and fail to acknowledge that I have stated that.

2. Your opinion of the weather lacks acknowledgement of other variables and (at least in my opinion with reason) is inaccurate. Once again, it doesn’t snow that often, but it is a reality in Jerusalem that happens every few years. But even taking snow off the table (I’m willing to do that) you don’t speak much about the rain and wind chill factor that are always present in December and January. Furthermore, I don’t know if you fully understand that 42/57 isn’t the way it is every day in every year. You’ve spoken about years being colder than others, which leads me to believe that you don’t believe the reality that some days and weeks of every year (cold year, warm year, average year) are colder. In other words, even in a seasonably mild month, there are going to be plenty of nights were it’s in the mid 30’s. Combine that with a 7 mph wind and rain, it’s not that nice out. Now, I’ll say it again: snow and cold weather isn’t the problem, but cold, windy and rainy conditions is.

I also have to speak on one thing you spoke of, and that’s comparing your work in your orchard under favorable conditions to that of shepherding in 6 BC. I find that pretty audacious.

Overall, I have to conclude that you saying, “Gee the weather doesn’t seem that bad!” doesn’t hold much weight.

3. You have barely acknowledged the differences between modern day living and that of 6 BC. Posting of stories, videos, pictures, weather reports, etc as proof that shepherds could’ve been in the field in December is very misleading. We have cars, heaters, advanced ceiled buildings, advanced infrastructure, weather prediction, agricultural advancements, improved textiles…. The list goes on and on. It all comes down to the undeniable point that you can’t compare the modern era to that of the New Testament. You might as well compare the US Marine Corps to the 300 Spartans. Both elite in there day, but not comparable since one group has guns and the other spears and swords.

4. Jacob getting frostbitten while caring for Laban’s sheep can not be used to support the notion that it was regular practice. You took the opportunity to comment on my pointing out that it doesn’t say he was in the field (which first off, it’s the truth; and second, if you are going to rely on so many far-fetched scenarios as you must to claim a December 25th birth, then I’m going to take a few myself). You also commented on me pointing out it was just one case and you couldn’t base common practice on that. Well, I did give you credit for that one case, but you failed to comment on about 5 or 6 valid points I made.

Furthermore, while you are quick to scold me about ski resorts 100 miles away from Jerusalem, it’s pretty inconsistent for you to bring up Jacob who was 900 miles away, 1500 years prior to the birth of Christ and was dealing with difficult conditions which he lodged a complaint about.

5. You spent a lot of time talking about migratory practices of shepherding. Fine… Put them where ever you want. I looked into it (and if you notice, I quoted one historian that spoke of it, so it’s not that I was ignorant of that by any means), and almost every source I found indicate that the hills surrounding Jerusalem was the terrain they would’ve left prior to December.

6. This brings up the topic of “Temple Flocks”. Special Sheep watched over by special shepherds. First of all, the destination of a few of the sheep was special, but the sheep themselves weren’t special or extraordinary. In all the researching I’ve done on these temple flocks I found no shortage of websites (mostly run by those who are trying to prove December 25th was Jesus’ birthday) claiming that these sheep stayed around Jerusalem, but very few historical documents that actually speak of it. Of those I found, they never directly say that flocks were kept year round in a 5 or 6 mile radius of Jerusalem. Even further, the sources I found do not state that every flock in that area was “a temple flock”; in fact they note otherwise. Another thing that is not stated is that only sheep from these temple flocks were used. In other words, some sheep were brought from outside the area.

In short, as far as I’ve seen, the whole concept of special flocks remaining all year around Jerusalem is built on circumstantial reasoning and very little (and questionable) historical fact, which doesn’t answer some pertinent questions. Two examples: The weather is bad enough (despite your protests to that notion) that all other sheep are driven elsewhere, but not these “special sheep”? Second, the foliage in that country is sparse enough without thousands of sheep grazing month in and month out, year in and year out and decade in and decade out within the same 6 mile radius.

7. There is no shortage amongst the various pro-Christmas websites and yourself included about Midgal Eder. Frankly, I see it as much talk about very little. There are two things I have concluded in my research of Midgal Eder: 1. It pinpoints the location of Jesus’ birth (which isn’t in dispute and isn’t the only Biblical prophecy that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem); and 2. It was the outlying landmark of where these “temple flocks” would be. In other words, a flock a couple of hundred yards beyond Midgal Eder wasn’t what you are calling “temple flocks”. So what about those shepherds that Gabriel spoke to? Guess what, they weren’t from Bethlehem and it can only be implied that they were these “special temple flock shepherds”.

Overall, bringing up this tower doesn’t add any pertinent facts to the question at hand. I might even say it hurts the argument you are trying to make.

8. At this point I’d like to point out something that I think you are well aware of, but perhaps don’t want to talk about. The 7 previous points of discussion, as well as many others I may have missed are all attempting to prove one point: “that shepherds could’ve been in the fields surrounding Bethlehem in December”. What they don’t do is actually prove a December nativity. Such discussion is only an attempt to remove a roadblock, and frankly, I don’t believe it does! So you can scour the area around Bethlehem for a sheep in December, 5 BC and yell “ewereka” if you actually do find one, but what have you proven? Only that you have a 1 in 365 chance of being right about December 25th and a 1 in 4 chance of getting even getting the season right.

Bottom line is that I can’t take any of these arguments whether they be your perception of the weather or claims that sheep were kept year round in that small area seriously. There are too many missed variables and in the end, it proves very little, if anything about Jesus’ nativity. I am moving on to more pertinent questions.

9. We discussed Jesus saying “Pray that your flight be not in winter” and what that meant to the tax census. If I remember correctly, you stated Jesus was speaking of not being to flee Judea because of poor weather conditions. Well, Joseph and Mary weren’t in Judea. They were in Nazareth, which is in Galilee (no, it’s not part of Judea). I’ve checked the terrain they would’ve traveled, and it wasn’t a stroll through the park.

I’ve done some research on the roads of the Roman Empire (in the past and recently), and while there was an extensive network, it wasn’t so in Judea. Most of the roads in that area were dirt paths. It goes without saying that rain would make travel on such roads very difficult.

Furthermore, while Luke Chapter 2 is about Mary, Joseph and Jesus, Luke 2:1-5 isn’t only about them. The whole world was to be taxed. I realize it may not have happened at the same time, but still, everyone who had to return to Judea would’ve been traveling. It is extremely doubtful that this census would’ve happened in the winter.

10. You have 3 early references that speak of December 25th. I fully and wholeheartedly acknowledge them. I agree with you that they should be looked at and considered (I didn’t say believed). But there are some points of discussion that have been made and should be made again. First, you are quick to point out that these references are within 50 to 100 years of the Apostles -- as if that makes them more believable. It doesn’t add nor take away from whether they are accurate or not. The only thing I’m interested is whether or not they are truth; not as to when they were published.

Second, I agree with you that it “speaks volumes” that they aren’t discussed more amongst scholars and historians. I’m with you that they should be, but I also ask you why you suppose they aren’t. Is it because they are so obscure that these folks haven’t heard of them? Is it a conspiracy against the pro-Christmas crowd? Perhaps they have heard of them and just simply don’t think they are credible to the same level you believe they are. I’m not suggesting anything -- I’m asking why? There is no shortage of references claiming to point to the date of Christ’s birth in all months of the year, but these three you have don’t come up that often. Why do you suppose that is?

Third… I’ve asked you before how did they come up with that date. Now, had Luke or Peter told them (which is impossible) I could accept it. However, in your long essays the only thing you have indicated is tradition, assumptions and what was commonly believed.

In other words, there is no evidence they were right. In saying that I don’t discount the references entirely. Like I said, they should be looked at. However, it is pretty suspicious that they came up with these dates.

11. You have mentioned “The Course of Abia”. Zacharias’temple service. You mentioned that his service by the Julian calendar would’ve been Oct 2-9 in 6 BC. Assuming you are right (which I don’t believe you are) you still don’t have a December 25th birth, and yes I’ve done all the Calendar conversions and no, it still is a week to two weeks early! It puts your theory in the realm of possibility, but doesn’t come up with December 25th for Jesus’ birthday nor June 24th for John’s. So how exactly did anyone come up with those dates???

But how did you figure out that Oct 2-9 was Zacharias’ watch? Well, you took the writings of Josephus, noted who’s watch it was when the Temple was destroyed in 70 BC and counted down 76 years. Am I right on how you (or someone else) came up with that date? If so, EGADS MAN! You need not go through all that trouble and risk human error! With a simple few Biblical facts and googling online Hebrew calendar converters, you can figure it out. I’ve done so many times with many different website converters (which all the ones I looked at agree in accuracy) and every time the date of Zacharias’ second watch was Chesvan 25 through Kislev 2. That coincides with an early November watch by both the Julian and Gregorian calendar! Based on raw data (not other problems that are present when using the Courses to figure out the date), that puts Jesus’ birth in February! I even looked at other years like 7 BC and 5 BC…. Similar results.

Pilgrimer, using Luke 1:5-8 to try to pinpoint Jesus’ birth date comes with a whole slew of real problems that require a lot of extreme assumptions. That’s true for any date. You can’t come up with an accurate date or even a month or season to pinpoint Jesus’ birth. In fact, the one thing it does do is put a December 25th birth on the edge of extremely improbable and nearly impossible.

12. Last point. There is a long list of historians, scholars and theologians of the past and present that question and even deny December 25th being Jesus’ birth date. Don’t get me wrong… I don’t always agree with every one of them on every Bible topic either. So no, I don’t mind you questioning the generally accepted theory. But it’s pretty illogical completely thumb your nose at it altogether. Yes, there are some that actually support it, I suppose. But not many.

All that being said, and duly noting your efforts, research and beliefs… I gotta side with them.

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me make a couple of comments before I address your points.

I think it would be fair and reasonable to ask that if you expect Christians to toss out a date which Christendom has held as that of the birth of Jesus, officially for almost 1700 years, and one that three different Christians stated was the date being observed as that of his birth over 1900 years ago, then you should have some very strong and compelling evidence.

And at first blush, the arguments against Christmas seem persuasive … and many students are being swayed by them simply because the anti-Christmas crowd has pretty much had the field to themselves on the internet and even in these forums. But when you begin to examine the arguments, and weigh them in light of the actual Biblical and historical evidence, you find that the arguments against Christmas are in fact not true. In some cases, they are nothing more than unsubstantiated speculation (such as the weather being “too cold”), but in other cases the arguments are downright dishonest (such as the claim that Christians “adopted” a pagan holiday, or the claim that Jeremiah was talking about Christmas trees!). But that is changing, Christian scholarship is beginning to exert a presence on the internet and the truth of these things is beginning to make a mark.

Of course, there are those for whom no amount of evidence will change their views. Not because the evidence isn’t there, but because the real root of their dissent is not evidentiary … but philosophical, they begin with an anti-Christmas/anti-Easter/anti-Christendom prejudice and see and judge everything through that narrow focus convinced that all of Christendom is apostate and they alone (or rather their board of directors) have all the truth.

And for the past 20 years I have seen the proliferation of their viewpoint on the internet and on Christian forums like this. And those views have been picked up and popularized by well-meaning but unfortunately uninformed Christians. But that is changing, slowly but surely, because this is not a new area of study, it’s just new to this generation. But volumes have been written on this subject, and the historical record is quite extensive. So if the Lord allows, and if you are willing, we’ll look at some more of the “evidence” and you, and anyone who might be reading our meager offerings, can judge for himself.

FHII said:
You seem to fail to realize why I talk about snow in that area. I do so in protest to your portraying the weather as you do … 42/57 and “nice”
FHII, I’m not “portraying” the weather as 42/57. That is actual weather data. The truth is the winters in Bethlehem are not too cold for sheep or shepherds to be in the fields. The truth is the Bible actually records a shepherd being in the fields tending sheep year round in an even colder climate than Bethlehem. And the truth is historical records state specifically that there were temple flocks in the fields of Bethlehem year round.

This isn’t opinion. This is actual evidence. But you reject this evidence for what? Can you cite Biblical or historical evidence to the contrary? No. And yet you dismiss this evidence for no good reason, except that you are convinced it cannot be true.

But a little more evidence that winters in Judaea are not as bad as your are portraying them to be, and again, this is Biblical evidence, which to my mind is the strongest and in some cases irrefutable evidence.

I assume that you are aware that on the first sabbath after Passover there was a special offering made. The first ripe sheaf of barley, which the law required be grown at Jerusalem, was harvested and offered. That was the beginning of the Feast of Firstfruits, also called the Feast of Weeks because it began the 7-week period of the grain harvest which concluded 7 full weeks later, or after 49 days, on Pentecost, which means “fiftieth,” (also called the Feast of Conclusion because it concluded the weeks) when the last of the grain crops was harvested and the first ripe sheaves of wheat were offered in the temple.

These grain crops were sown in the fall! They grew over winter, and were harvested in spring (for the early maturing crops such as barley) and early summer (for the later maturing crops such as wheat). The whole calendar revolved around this early harvest of barley. If the barley was not sufficiently mature at the end of Adar for it to be ripe in two weeks at Passover, then an extra month was added to the calendar, Adar II.

Now if the climate is such that people can grow crops in winter in Judaea nourished by the winter rains, how do you figure the shepherds wouldn’t have their flocks in the fields eating all the green grass that was also nourished by the rains? These same hills and valleys were barren of grass in summer, because there was no rain, but in winter the hills and valleys were green with grasses and wildflowers.

Being a gardener I have a special fondness for wildflowers and have studied the wildflowers of Israel, some of which I have been able to purchase and include in my own gardens. Here’s what one Israeli wildflower website has to say about it:

"24 January, 2012
The winter rains in Israel began auspiciously early this season—and the hilltops and forests of Israel almost immediately started to turn green and regain their cool-weather lushness. Wildflower blooms began in earnest in December, on their way to peaking in late February or early March.
Every week brings more flowers, blooming in a predictable order. They’re truly like old friends returning for a visit.
The vibrant red of the anemone (kalanit) can be spotted from a distance. This common flower is uncommonly beautiful, and it is one of winter’s earliest blooms. There are also purple and white varieties."
http://www.galileenutritionals.com/Winter-rains-bring-wildflowers-on-the-way-to-Jerusalem

Check it out for yourself. This photo was taken about 15 miles north of Jerusalem, in January, which is actually colder and rainier than December.

So don’t think you have exhausted the research possibilities on winter weather in Judaea and can make a really informed judgment yet.

FHII said:
You have barely acknowledged the differences between modern day living and that of 6 BC.
Unless you are a global warming alarmist, the weather hasn’t changed much since 6 B.C., and 42 degrees in 6 B.C. is no colder than 42 degrees in 2013.

FHII said:
Jacob getting frostbitten while caring for Laban’s sheep can not be used to support the
I beg to differ. I think Jacob being out in the fields year round with the sheep was probably normal practice for sheep herding. Can you offer any Biblical evidence that it wasn’t the regular practice? No? What then? You prefer to assume it wasn’t regular practice so you can justify dismissing the evidence? Come on now FHII. And the fact that Haran is 417 miles north of Bethlehem means it was even colder there than at Bethlehem. So if Jacob could endure frosty nights out in the fields with his sheep in a colder climate that argues against it being too cold in Bethlehem, 400 miles south in a desert region!

FHII said:
This brings up the topic of “Temple Flocks”. Special Sheep watched over by special shepherds. First of all, the destination of a few of the sheep was special, but the sheep themselves weren’t special or extraordinary.
I honestly do not know of anyone who has ever tried to say these were special or extraordinary sheep. They were plain old sheep, although it must be added that they did have to pass Levitical inspection: any blemish, deformity, injury, scarring, disease or infestation would render them unacceptable for sacrifice.

And you have to realize that we aren’t talking here about “a few” sheep. Animals for sacrifice was the number one import commodity of Judaea during the 2nd Temple period. Literally thousands of animals were required for the Temple cultus. Think of it. Just for the morning and evening sacrifice alone, a year-old lamb was offered, morning and evening, day after day, regardless of weather, every day of the year. That’s 708 lambs per year, just for the daily sacrifice. That doesn’t count all the other public sacrifices and offerings, 7 lambs on the Sabbath, every Sabbath for another 350 per year, and then all the festival sacrifices and offerings. And that’s just the public sacrifices and offerings paid for out of the temple treasury, it doesn’t count all the animals needed for private sacrifices. Josephus states that as many as a quarter million lambs were offered on Passover alone! So we are quite literally talking about thousands and thousands of animals year in and year out!

So we’re not talking about Bethlehem being the site where “a few” sheep were pastured. We’re talking about thousands of animals over the course of a year being gathered and inspected and held until they were needed in the city. The shepherd’s field at Migdal Eder near Bethlehem would be more of a stockyard than a regular pasture, which explains why it was located well away from Jerusalem, and why there would be a “watchtower” for flocks of sheep when normally sheepherding was a nomadic existence. Have you ever been near a stockyard with even a few hundred animals? If so you can well understand why the Rabbis had these flocks and herds kept far enough away from the city to avoid the stench, and yet close enough to be able to bring them to the city easily. And all these thousands of animals had to be inspected by priests before they could be sold. I don’t think the average Christian really comprehends what big business the Temple Cultus was. So saying, you might find this article interesting:
http://www.livescience.com/39307-jerusalem-animal-sacrifice-found.html

FHII said:
In other words, some sheep were brought from outside the area.
That’s true. In fact, according to several sources, animals for sacrificial use was the primary import commodity of Judea during the 2nd Temple period. Now certainly some pilgrims coming to the festivals would bring their own animals, but those who lived very far afield would find it much easier to just purchase an already inspected and approved animal at the Temple rather than having to lead and feed and water an animal on the trip. In fact, tables were set up in Solomon’s Porch, the eastern portico of the temple, expressly for the purpose of selling sacrificial animals to the worshippers. It was big business and the high priestly family of Annas was rich from the trade. Why, they even sold the blood and effluvia that was washed from the temple courts and collected into a cesspit as fertilizer for the King’s garden!

FHII said:
In short, as far as I’ve seen, the whole concept of special flocks remaining all year around Jerusalem is built on circumstantial reasoning and very little (and questionable) historical fact,
First of all, I don’t think anyone has tried to suggest that flocks “remained all year” in the fields of Bethlehem. Rather, because of the continual need for sacrifices there would have been flocks in the fields year round, and huge flocks and herds in the days before and during the big festivals. But I find it curious that you would take what actual evidence does exist and so easily dismiss it. It’s not as if you have any evidence to the contrary.

FHII said:
which doesn’t answer some pertinent questions. Two examples: The weather is bad enough (despite your protests to that notion) that all other sheep are driven elsewhere,
But you’ve got that backwards FHII. It was the summer dry season when the flocks had to be driven “elsewhere” because there wasn’t any grass or water in the Judean hill country during the dry season. Read the description by Josephus, and he was a priest in Jerusalem so he was certainly an authority on the subject. The grasses would all die, the waterholes would dry up, even the ground itself would crack open from the drought. But then the fall rains came and the hills and valleys turned green and throughout the winter grass and water was available in Judaea. Either you or, most likely your sources, have gotten the seasons in Judea completely backwards.

FHII said:
There is no shortage amongst the various pro-Christmas websites and yourself included about Midgal Eder. Frankly, I see it as much talk about very little. There are two things I have concluded in my research of Midgal Eder: 1. It pinpoints the location of Jesus’ birth (which isn’t in dispute and isn’t the only Biblical prophecy that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem); and 2. It was the outlying landmark of where these “temple flocks” would be. In other words, a flock a couple of hundred yards beyond Midgal Eder wasn’t what you are calling “temple flocks”. So what about those shepherds that Gabriel spoke to? Guess what, they weren’t from Bethlehem and it can only be implied that they were these “special temple flock shepherds”.
I’m afraid you have made (or repeated) a few mistakes. The Migdal Eder isn’t where Jesus was born, he was born in Bethlehem. The Watchtower of the Flock (Micah 4:8) is where the shepherds kept watch over the temple flocks. It wasn’t in Bethlehem, but according to all the evidence, lay on the road to Jerusalem about a mile north of Bethlehem. After Gabriel’s visit the shepherds went “to” Bethlehem in search of the newborn Jesus so Jesus could not have been born at Migdal Eder.

And second, Migdal Eder wasn’t the outlying landmark of where the Temple flocks would be located, you (or your source) have misunderstood that Talmudic passage. Migdal Eder was the outlying limit that marked the distance from Jerusalem in all directions within which any stray or lost or unclaimed animals were to be confiscated for Temple use, males for burnt-offerings and females for peace-offerings, or if it was within 30 days of Passover, any strays would be used for Passover. That wasn’t a commentary on the temple flock, or its limits, but on stray or lost animals found within those limits being designated for temple use.

FHII said:
At this point I’d like to point out something that I think you are well aware of, but perhaps don’t want to talk about. The 7 previous points of discussion, as well as many others I may have missed are all attempting to prove one point: “that shepherds could’ve been in the fields surrounding Bethlehem in December”. What they don’t do is actually prove a December nativity. Such discussion is only an attempt to remove a roadblock, and frankly, I don’t believe it does! So you can scour the area around Bethlehem for a sheep in December, 5 BC and yell “ewereka” if you actually do find one, but what have you proven? Only that you have a 1 in 365 chance of being right about December 25th and a 1 in 4 chance of getting even getting the season right.
I have never contended that any of this “proves” a December birth. What this proves is that the arguments againsta December birth do not have any evidence to support them, but in fact, actually contradicts what evidence there is. You can say all this evidence doesn’t prove anything and dismiss it if that is your wish, but you can’t offer any evidence that contradicts it.

Continued ...
The system will not allow me to post the remainder of this note so I'll have to return and try again later.

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have resolved to let you have the last word on this.... I stand by my sources. However, I will hear what you have to say.

I do have to make a comment though. I work in the public school system. Despite all the talk about taking Christianity out of the public schools, guess what? Christmas is still a big deal in it! Now I'm pretty sure I'm one of maybe 5 or 10 in my school that doesn't celebrate Christmas and probably the only one who calls himself a Christian who doesn't celebrate Christmas.

That means I have to deal with folks giving me Christmas cards and gift cards. I have to deal with folks who want to know what I'm doing for Christmas and want to wish me a Merry Christmas. I politely tell them I don't celebrate it, return their gift cards or presents and in all but one example, they are fine with it. They are very respectful and there isn't a problem. I do appreciate the thought and I'm touched when a student or coworker will think of me, and it does hurt a little to tell them, "no".

I've been at the school for a while, and sometimes folks forget that I don't celebrate Christmas. No problem.

But there was one instance. A woman whom I told I don't want a Christmas card, don't want a gift card, don't want to come to a Christmas party and don't want anything to do with Christmas continued to force her holiday on me. She tried to disguise it as a "holiday" party or "an end of the year" thing, but I wasn't falling for that.

In short, I think that's the lowest and most gutter trash thing you can do. If you know I don't want anything to do with it, then simply leave me alone. If you know I don't celebrate Christmas than don't wish me "Merry Christmas".

So, just in case you haven't figured it out, I don't celebrate Christmas. And I don't want to be wished a Merry Christmas. We've had a great discussion and I thank God for it. However, don't soil it by forcing your holiday on me. I'm assuming (doubtfully) that you didn't know I don't celebrate Christmas, so I'm giving you a pass.

I'm not offended; I have great peace and nothing offends me. But I still request that you don't do it.

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continue from previous ...

FHII said:
Bottom line is that I can’t take any of these arguments whether they be your perception of the weather or claims that sheep were kept year round in that small area seriously.
Then I think that is regrettable FHII. Here is the evidence which you say you cannot take seriously:

1. Biblical evidence of a shepherd being in the fields with his sheep year round in a location 400 miles north and therefore colder than in Bethlehem.
2. Biblical evidence of the seasonally migratory nature of sheepherding in ancient Israel.
3. Biblical evidence that the weather in winter was normally mild enough to grow crops.
4. Biblical evidence that people traveled to Jerusalem in December for a feast.
5. Biblical evidence that people traveled to Jerusalem in March when the rainfall is the same as December.
6. Biblical and historical evidence that the temple flocks were kept in fields near Bethlehem.
7. Biblical and historical evidence that the shepherds whom Gabriel announced Jesus’ birth to were no ordinary shepherds
8. Historical sources which state specifically that the “temple flocks” were in the fields year round
9. Biblical and historical evidence that the winters in Judaea were mild enough to be referred to as the “rainy season”
10. Weather facts that show that normal December weather in Bethlehem is not sufficiently cold to prevent animals from being outside
11. Weather facts that show that normal December weather in Bethlehem is not sufficiently cold to prevent people from traveling
12. Weather facts that show that normally the hills and valleys in Judea in winter are green with grasses and water is available
And finally, on a more personal note, weather facts that show winters in Judaea are normally the season for wildflowers to bloom:
http://www.travelujah.com/blogs/entry/Anemone-Israel-s-Winter-Wild-Flowers

And please allow me to add that this is based on normal winters, not extreme winters of cold or extreme winters of drought, which do occasionally occur.

FHII said:
We discussed Jesus saying “Pray that your flight be not in winter” and what that meant to the tax census. If I remember correctly, you stated Jesus was speaking of not being to flee Judea because of poor weather conditions. Well, Joseph and Mary weren’t in Judea. They were in Nazareth, which is in Galilee (no, it’s not part of Judea). I’ve checked the terrain they would’ve traveled, and it wasn’t a stroll through the park.
Galilee, Samaria, and Judaea all lay within the boundaries that I mentioned. Here’s a topographical map showing how Palestine (which included Judaea, Samaria, and Galilee) was enclosed by mountains to the east and north, and by the Mediterranean Sea on the west. To the south was the inhospitable but not impassable desert.

So again, Jesus was saying it would be difficult to escape the country in winter during a time of war, he wasn’t saying it would be difficult for people to travel around the region in winter. As I said, they had no problem going up to Jerusalem for the winter feast of Hanukkah, nor did they have trouble traveling up to Jerusalem for Passover at a time when the rainfall was the same as in December.

FHII said:
I’ve done some research on the roads of the Roman Empire (in the past and recently), and while there was an extensive network, it wasn’t so in Judea. Most of the roads in that area were dirt paths. It goes without saying that rain would make travel on such roads very difficult.
Well perhaps you think so, but again, people obviously traveled to Jerusalem for Hanukkah so it couldn’t have been too much of a problem. And also, the rainfall in December is the same as that in March, and that’s when Passover occurs. Now if the roads in December when the rains were only just beginning became such a quagmire that people couldn’t travel, how did they manage to get to Jerusalem for Passover in March after the two months of the heaviest rains? Are you making an assumption to support your view rather than basing your view on the evidence?

FHII said:
Furthermore, while Luke Chapter 2 is about Mary, Joseph and Jesus, Luke 2:1-5 isn’t only about them. The whole world was to be taxed. I realize it may not have happened at the same time, but still, everyone who had to return to Judea would’ve been traveling.
I don’t think Herod would have timed the census to accommodate a very, very small portion of the population who might have been traveling outside Palestine. It is much more likely that he would have timed the census when it would have the least impact on his agriculturally-based tax revenue. That would be in early winter.

A census during a festival when all Jews had to go up to Jerusalem would have been out of the question. Spring and early summer (Passover to Pentecost) would be out of the question, the grain crops were harvested then. The summer dry season there was no agricultural activity but there would be no water and extremely hot temperatures. Late summer was the vintage, a very important harvest. Then in fall was the olive harvest, also very important, followed by the fall planting of the grain crops. The only lull in the agricultural cycle was summer, which was too hot and dry, and early winter after the fall planting was completed but before the rainiest months of January and February. So actually, December was the most ideal month. There was no agricultural activity (except for the citrus harvest in the warmer Jordan Valley region), the weather was still mild in December with daytime temps in the 50’s/60’s, and the heaviest rains had not yet begun. Indeed, there is a Talmudic passage which states, “good the month Tebheth (mid-December to mid-January) when there is no rain.” So December could actually be a dry month, but even with normal rains they were lighter than those of January and February, and as I have pointed out, equal to those of March when people traveled for Passover.

FHII said:
You have 3 early references that speak of December 25th. I fully and wholeheartedly acknowledge them. I agree with you that they should be looked at and considered (I didn’t say believed). But there are some points of discussion that have been made and should be made again. First, you are quick to point out that these references are within 50 to 100 years of the Apostles -- as if that makes them more believable. It doesn’t add nor take away from whether they are accurate or not. The only thing I’m interested is whether or not they are truth; not as to when they were published.
But you misunderstand. I didn’t point them out to prove when Jesus was born. I pointed them out to prove that from the earliest years that date was held by some Christians as the date of Jesus’ birth, so the claim that Christians 200 years later just willy nilly adopted some pagan holiday for Jesus’ birth is not only wrong, it is slander against a whole generation of Christians many of whom bore in their bodies the proof of their faithfulness to the Gospel and refusal to compromise with paganism! And there is evidence of the most authoritative kind to prove that, decrees and letters written by no less than Roman Emperors themselves! I’m afraid you are going to be confronted with the same thing on that issue that you have on this one … you will find there is no actual evidence that Christians adopted paganism, and that in fact the actual evidence is to the contrary, so you will be forced, again, to choose to assume something that you have no evidence for and dismiss the evidence to the contrary.

FHII said:
Second, I agree with you that it “speaks volumes” that they aren’t discussed more amongst scholars and historians. I’m with you that they should be, but I also ask you why you suppose they aren’t. Is it because they are so obscure that these folks haven’t heard of them? Is it a conspiracy against the pro-Christmas crowd? Perhaps they have heard of them and just simply don’t think they are credible to the same level you believe they are. I’m not suggesting anything -- I’m asking why? There is no shortage of references claiming to point to the date of Christ’s birth in all months of the year, but these three you have don’t come up that often. Why do you suppose that is?
Because it is a very unfortunate fact that Christians have been a little slow on the defense. The advent of the internet has opened up opportunities for all Christians to be involved in Christian apologetics, but it has taken a little time for us to gear up with the truth and begin to defend it. These arguments against Christmas and a December birth originated with the Watchtower Society teachings, but they were limited in their exposure until the internet and the anonymity it allows. Now they are all over the place, even on Christian discussion boards, espousing anti-Christmas, anti-Easter, and even anti-Christendom ideas and a lot of Christians, not realizing who they are talking to, are being influenced by them and repeating the errors. But we are starting to see some push back and it will grow, as more of the truth gets out there. I am a bit ahead of the crowd, but I’m seeing things I have been posting about for years that are just now beginning to become more commonly known, and that will continue. But there is no denying that the Jehovah’s Witnesses were more prepared to be advocates for their organization’s views and they got a jump on us. But that’s changing, and the light is beginning to shine even in some of the corners of “Christian” forums. I’m seeing it, and if you’re not, hold on, you will.

FHII said:
Third… I’ve asked you before how did they come up with that date. Now, had Luke or Peter told them (which is impossible) I could accept it. However, in your long essays the only thing you have indicated is tradition, assumptions and what was commonly believed.
In other words, there is no evidence they were right.
But you miss the point FHII. There is no evidence these early Christians were wrong about the date, and for all your own long essays you have yet to offer one piece of actual Biblical or historical evidence to even suggest, let alone prove they were wrong. It is your own essays that have offered nothing but the traditional arguments of the Watchtower Society that is based on nothing but assumptions and what they claim to be “the truth” contrary to what the evidence says. I believe this thread has shown that to be the case. The only Biblical and historical evidence that actually addresses these issues you dismiss and toss out, but you can’t offer any evidence to justify doing so.

The burden is on you to prove that 2000 years of Christians have gotten it wrong, which requires some strong evidence. Not only do you not offer strong evidence, you can’t offer any evidence at all, and the only actual evidence about all this you simply dismiss.

FHII said:
In saying that I don’t discount the references entirely. Like I said, they should be looked at. However, it is pretty suspicious that they came up with these dates.
Suspicious? Christians writing 1900 years ago that Jesus was born on December 25 is “suspicious”? Are you serious?

FHII said:
You have mentioned “The Course of Abia”. Zacharias’temple service. You mentioned that his service by the Julian calendar would’ve been Oct 2-9 in 6 BC. Assuming you are right (which I don’t believe you are) you still don’t have a December 25th birth, and yes I’ve done all the Calendar conversions and no, it still is a week to two weeks early! It puts your theory in the realm of possibility, but doesn’t come up with December 25th for Jesus’ birthday nor June 24th for John’s.
Well gee FHII, it might have been a week or two after Zacharias’ temple duty before Elizabeth conceived.

FHII said:
But how did you figure out that Oct 2-9 was Zacharias’ watch? Well, you took the writings of Josephus, noted who’s watch it was when the Temple was destroyed in 70 BC and counted down 76 years. Am I right on how you (or someone else) came up with that date? If so, EGADS MAN! You need not go through all that trouble and risk human error! With a simple few Biblical facts and googling online Hebrew calendar converters, you can figure it out. I’ve done so many times with many different website converters (which all the ones I looked at agree in accuracy) and every time the date of Zacharias’ second watch was Chesvan 25 through Kislev 2. That coincides with an early November watch by both the Julian and Gregorian calendar! Based on raw data (not other problems that are present when using the Courses to figure out the date), that puts Jesus’ birth in February! I even looked at other years like 7 BC and 5 BC…. Similar results.
FHII, I see this same mistake over and over and over. You have to take a known date when a known course was serving and calculate backwards because the courses did not serve according to calendar dates. They served from sabbath to sabbath consecutively, regardless of the date on the calendar.

Look, there are 50 weeks plus 4 days of the Jewish calendar year. There were 24 courses serving in rotation. That means 24 courses would each serve 1 week then begin again. That means two full rotations would serve 48 weeks. Who served the 49th and 50th week, and who served the 4 days? And what about the leap years? Who served the extra month? How did that affect the rotation? And the first week of Nisan did not always begin on a sabbath. So if it began on a Wednesday, did the outgoing course serve a half week and the incoming course serve a half week?

You (or rather your sources) are making a very simple cut common mistake. You are trying to calculate the priestly service based on the calendar with a 1st course/1st week of the year, 2nd course/2nd week, 3rd course/3rd week calculation. But it did not work that way. The courses served from one sabbath to the next sabbath in order regardless of the dates on the calendar. So I’m afraid you can’t simply pick up a calendar, or go to Hebcal, and plug in the 8th course serving the 8th week or the 32nd week. It didn’t work that way. And Josephus plus Talmudic citations prove it.

If the courses served 1st course/1st week based on the calendar, as many students mistakenly assume, then the 8th course would serve the 8th week in their first round, and the 32nd week in their second round. That means the 19th week of the year (when the temple was destroyed) the 19th course should have been on duty. But it wasn’t. The 1st course of Jehoiarib was on duty. Which proves the courses did not serve 1st course/1st week, 2nd course/2nd week based on the calendar weeks of the year.

So no, I’m sorry, but you do actually have to take a known historical date when a particular course was on duty and count back by weeks (sabbath to sabbath) to the year 6 B.C., and you find that the 8th course of Abijah was on duty October 2 – 9, which according to Hebcal was sabbath to sabbath ending on the first day of Tishrei, the beginning of the feast of trumpets (and I would so love to get into how John fulfilled trumpets – a “voice in the wilderness calling the people to come up to the mount and receive the Word of God” harkening back to Mt. Sinai, but I’ll try to exercise some modicum of restraint).

FHII said:
Pilgrimer, using Luke 1:5-8 to try to pinpoint Jesus’ birth date comes with a whole slew of real problems that require a lot of extreme assumptions. That’s true for any date. You can’t come up with an accurate date or even a month or season to pinpoint Jesus’ birth. In fact, the one thing it does do is put a December 25th birth on the edge of extremely improbable and nearly impossible.
Nonsense FHII. There is nothing extreme about calculating the priestly service, and the Gospel account is rather simple. The course of Abijah, in the year 6 B.C., served October 2 – 9. If Elizabeth conceived within a week or two (mid to late October), her 6th month would be mid to late March, when Mary would have conceived. That would place John’s birth around mid to late June and Jesus’ birth mid to late December. Of course we can’t calculate form this information exactly what day, but the point is that it makes the date that has been held by Christians for 2000 years as the birth date of Jesus certainly possible, and based on the historical evidence of Josephus and the Talmuds, even probable.

And I might add, that it is your own view that comes with a whole slew of real problems that require a lot of extreme assumptions. That’s why you keep having to dismiss the only actual evidence, Biblical and historical, that actually address these issues and instead insist on a view that contradicts the evidence.

FHII said:
Last point. There is a long list of historians, scholars and theologians of the past and present that question and even deny December 25th being Jesus’ birth date.
And there is an even longer list who support it. But I don’t base my views on popular opinion, I base them on the evidence, and to quote what I said in one of my first posts on this thread …
Pilgrimer said:
While the Scriptures do not state what date Jesus was born, there is in fact a wealth of evidence presented in the Gospels that a careful comparison with historical and archaeological data will prove that the date held as that of the birth of Jesus since the beginning of Christianity is amply supported by the facts.
In Christ,
Pilgrimer
FHII said:
I have resolved to let you have the last word on this.... I stand by my sources. However, I will hear what you have to say.

I do have to make a comment though. I work in the public school system. Despite all the talk about taking Christianity out of the public schools, guess what? Christmas is still a big deal in it! Now I'm pretty sure I'm one of maybe 5 or 10 in my school that doesn't celebrate Christmas and probably the only one who calls himself a Christian who doesn't celebrate Christmas.

That means I have to deal with folks giving me Christmas cards and gift cards. I have to deal with folks who want to know what I'm doing for Christmas and want to wish me a Merry Christmas. I politely tell them I don't celebrate it, return their gift cards or presents and in all but one example, they are fine with it. They are very respectful and there isn't a problem. I do appreciate the thought and I'm touched when a student or coworker will think of me, and it does hurt a little to tell them, "no".

I've been at the school for a while, and sometimes folks forget that I don't celebrate Christmas. No problem.

But there was one instance. A woman whom I told I don't want a Christmas card, don't want a gift card, don't want to come to a Christmas party and don't want anything to do with Christmas continued to force her holiday on me. She tried to disguise it as a "holiday" party or "an end of the year" thing, but I wasn't falling for that.

In short, I think that's the lowest and most gutter trash thing you can do. If you know I don't want anything to do with it, then simply leave me alone. If you know I don't celebrate Christmas than don't wish me "Merry Christmas".

So, just in case you haven't figured it out, I don't celebrate Christmas. And I don't want to be wished a Merry Christmas. We've had a great discussion and I thank God for it. However, don't soil it by forcing your holiday on me. I'm assuming (doubtfully) that you didn't know I don't celebrate Christmas, so I'm giving you a pass.

I'm not offended; I have great peace and nothing offends me. But I still request that you don't do it.
FHII, I have given a lot of thought to what you said above, and my first impulse was to take that last word and then leave this discussion. After the things you said I find I don’t like you very much. I think your attitude toward Christmas, and especially toward those who are only trying to show you kindness, is the kind of religious arrogance that gives religion a bad name, and turns people away from God.

I don’t recall ever being in such a situation, but if I were I would simply accept the cards and gifts with a gracious thank you so as not to hurt anyone’s feelings, and later drop them in a Good Will box and keep it just between me and God. But then, I serve Jesus Christ, and he has taught me the most important thing in serving God … is to love people.

Christmas gifts and cards and merry wishes are not going to defile you, and God would be better served if you were less concerned with your being offended and more concerned with not offending others, especially the little children.