Church Bashing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think it is talking about food and drink?
I think that Holy Spirit can lead us into abstaining from certain things for a time in order to seek Him more. But this is what the word "fasting" means taken back to the Greek.

Greek: νηστεία
Transliteration: nēsteia
Pronunciation: nace-ti'-ah
Definition: From G3522; abstinence (from lack of food or voluntary and religious); specifically the fast of the Day of Atonement: - fast (-ing.)
KJV Usage: fasting (7x), feast (1x).
Occurs: 8
In verses: 8

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question can also be broadened to, What sort of manuscripts? and what have ppl really discovered?
Here's one of my favorites:

The Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered in Qumran in 1946. One of the scrolls was a complete scroll of the book of Isaiah. This predated any existing manuscript by several centuries. The scroll was almost letter-by-letter identical to the Masoretic Text, with one notable exception in Isaiah 53:11. Since this exception is confirmed by the Septuagint, the NIV translators decided to use the DSS instead of the MT in their translation:

8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was punished.
9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
11 After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

(Isaiah 53:8-11 NIV)

The Suffering Servant song is thought by almost all Christian interpreters to be about Christ's atoning death. The Masoretic Text that was used in the Textus Receptus (and almost all translations) does not contain "see the light (of life)". The Dead Sea Scrolls prophesy the resurrection of Christ.

Reactions: marks

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually sister, I've noticed several versions that cut "fasting" out...
And far as I've learned, "fasting" can mean, food and or drink/ coffee/ cigarettes/ or anything we grab onto as in habit or to give us joy or relief or pleasure...? Music, tv, games, books on and on! JMO.
xo

And there is also the true fast in Spirit that God puts us on. We would never choose it ourselves because it is distressing when He disappears from our senses and we can’t even barely pray or read or focus on anything. He seems to just totally abandon us in darkness.

The question I have is this: was Jesus saying His disciples needed to fast from food or water and then come back later to cast out a demon? Or was He meaning they should not give the person with the demon any food or water for some days?

Does anyone think Jesus was saying there’s a certain kind of demon that can only come out if you stop eating food?

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's one of my favorites:

The Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered in Qumran in 1946. One of the scrolls was a complete scroll of the book of Isaiah. This predated any existing manuscript by several centuries. The scroll was almost letter-by-letter identical to the Masoretic Text, with one notable exception in Isaiah 53:11. Since this exception is confirmed by the Septuagint, the NIV translators decided to use the DSS instead of the MT in their translation:

8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was punished.
9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
11 After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

(Isaiah 53:8-11 NIV)

The Suffering Servant song is thought by almost all Christian interpreters to be about Christ's atoning death. The Masoretic Text that was used in the Textus Receptus (and almost all translations) does not contain "see the light (of life)". The Dead Sea Scrolls prophesy the resurrection of Christ.

The finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls, was 1946.
The NIV was published in 1973.
For Example the KJ Bible was published in 1611.

Isaiah 53: KJ 1611
11: He shall see of the trauell of his soule, and shallb satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous seruant iustifie many: for hee shall beare their iniquities.

Here it is translated (before) 1948, a man shall see the travail (laborious suffering) of his soul and shall be satisfied.

SEE the LIGHT, is revealed elsewhere.

Job 33: KJ 1611
28: Hee will deliuer his soule from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.

1 John 3: KJ 1611
2: Beloued, now are we the sonnes of God, and it doeth not yet appeare, what wee shall be: but wee know, that when he shall appeare, we shall bee like him: for we shall see him as he is.

John 1: KJ 1611
1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
4: In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
9: That was the true light, which lighteth euery man that commeth into the world.

Glory to God,
Taken

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there is also the true fast in Spirit that God puts us on. We would never choose it ourselves because it is distressing when He disappears from our senses and we can’t even barely pray or read or focus on anything. He seems to just totally abandon us in darkness.

The question I have is this: was Jesus saying His disciples needed to fast from food or water and then come back later to cast out a demon? Or was He meaning they should not give the person with the demon any food or water for some days?

Does anyone think Jesus was saying there’s a certain kind of demon that can only come out if you stop eating food?

The other version in one of the other gospels makes it a matter of lack of faith on the disciples part and even the other one has Him saying something about unbelief briefly.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that Holy Spirit can lead us into abstaining from certain things for a time in order to seek Him more. But this is what the word "fasting" means taken back to the Greek.

Greek: νηστεία
Transliteration: nēsteia
Pronunciation: nace-ti'-ah
Definition: From G3522; abstinence (from lack of food or voluntary and religious); specifically the fast of the Day of Atonement: - fast (-ing.)
KJV Usage: fasting (7x), feast (1x).
Occurs: 8
In verses: 8
I can't really fast because I'm Diabetic and the medication I take might make my sugar drop so if I don't eat I could pass out.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It isn't my job to bash all the churches I don't belong to? You mean, I'm supposed to try to get along with other people?
I bash the so called Churches who don't follow God's law and word, like the ones that hang rainbow flags off their buildings and say they are all inclusive, and don't preach against unrepentant homosexuals and those who don't abstain.

I can guarantee you if the Preacher of that said Church said we only accept LGTB people who repent and abstain from their homosexual activities they wouldn't have many of them show up.

It's all about getting their baskets filled with cash.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I bash the so called Churches who don't follow God's law and word, like the ones that hang rainbow flags off their buildings and say they are all inclusive, and don't preach against unrepentant homosexuals and those who don't abstain.

I can guarantee you if the Preacher of that said Church said we only accept LGTB people who repent and abstain from their homosexual activities they wouldn't have many of them show up.

It's all about getting their baskets filled with cash.
My own denomination is at war over homosexuality. It is very painful to hear a preacher tell you that you are evil because you don't accept homosexuality. People might tell me I should change churches, but first of all, there are no perfect churches, and second of all, I'd rather stand up for what's right than run away with my tail between my legs.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My own denomination is at war over homosexuality. It is very painful to hear a preacher tell you that you are evil because you don't accept homosexuality. People might tell me I should change churches, but first of all, there are no perfect churches, and second of all, I'd rather stand up for what's right than run away with my tail between my legs.

That would be hard. Just be careful. You can sometimes turn into whoever you hang around and believing the Truth is of utmost importance.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would be hard. Just be careful. You can sometimes turn into whoever you hang around and believing the Truth is of utmost importance.
I'm not going to forget what God said about homosexuality. My church is very important to me. We currently have a good pastor. The last pastor was awful.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not going to forget what God said about homosexuality. My church is very important to me. We currently have a good pastor. The last pastor was awful.

I am very glad y'all have a good pastor. I will be believing that God always has the best in mind for His people. If there is an area he is not preaching truth in, pastors/teachers are held doubly accountable.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Curious...

When a standing preacher told the congregation that they are evil to not accept homosexuality....
DID you stand up Then, for the preacher and congregation to all hear
NO! Jesus DID NOT accept homosexuality and This House was Established to Preach Gods Word?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am very glad y'all have a good pastor. I will be believing that God always has the best in mind for His people. If there is an area he is not preaching truth in, pastors/teachers are held doubly accountable.
I'm sure he's not the best preacher in the world, but he doesn't attack conservatives, like some like to do. When you've had a bad pastor, you come to appreciate the ones that aren't bad. On top of that, he's very kind and respectful to me.

Reactions: Mayflower

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Curious...

When a standing preacher told the congregation that they are evil to not accept homosexuality....
NO! Jesus DID NOT accept homosexuality and This House was Established to Preach Gods Word?
We had more than one fight over this.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen brother stand up for what is right, your Preacher is wrong and should be told so, it is he who is being evil for pushing this filth on his congregation.

Stay strong Bob and may God always watch over you my good brother, let no one lead you astray.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Curious...

How often do you stand up in the middle of a church service and correct your pastor?

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen brother stand up for what is right, your Preacher is wrong and should be told so, it is he who is being evil for pushing this filth on his congregation.

Stay strong Bob and may God always watch over you my good brother, let no one lead you astray.
Thanks.

Reactions: JohnPaul

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Curious...

By the way, my pastor was a little more subtle than to just come out and say that you are evil if you don't bless homosexuality. I can't remember his exact words.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How often do you stand up in the middle of a church service and correct your pastor?

I think there is a time and place. But honestly as good as a pastor can be, if they are teaching something you need to do as blatant sin, that can lead people astray... These are my thoughts on it, but I completely understand what you are talking about. That would be hard.