Church councils?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the apostles are still needed to teach all nations and to baptize disciples!

Perhaps... but who are they?

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;" Eph 4:11-14

Who then are these Apostles? You @theefaith have yet to name for me even one...!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are to this day through the preserved writings of the New Testament.

you can baptize you’re self?

2 Peter 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

I didn’t baptize myself. I was baptized by a pastor and as a pastor I have baptized others.

For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!

Paul famously said he was thankful that he wasn’t sent to baptize.

Reactions: The Learner

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

So every RC priest is an apostle?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We must make a distinction between those who actually walk in the Spirit (who don't impose religious conditions) and ecclesiastical men who are looking for advantage (like the Pharisees).

Look how open the apostles were toward those who possessed eternal life. No point in trying to control the faith of others. Not so the councils and creeds that followed afterward.

Hmm..
Paul wasnt so 'open' with the Judaizers, nor John with the gnostics and others who left the community..

They went out from us, but they were not really of our number; if they had been, they would have remained with us. Their desertion shows that none of them was of our number.

It is the duty of the bishops to test and train and approve (ordain) those who are called to serve Christ and His church, and to correct those who teach contrary to the one holy, catholic and apostolic faith.

To suggest that the Spirit somehow abandoned the Church and failed to guide it into Truth is to reject the promises of Christ, imo..

How else than how the Church has tested and approved men for 2000 yeats, would you suggest to test those who claim to 'walk in the Spirit' ?

Pax et Bonum

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn’t baptize myself. I was baptized by a pastor and as a pastor I have baptized others.

Paul famously said he was thankful that he wasn’t sent to baptize.

of course he was sent to baptize

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You tell us as you are an authority on everything.

they are the “apostolic tradition”the teaching authority of Christ!

Jesus Christ extends his mission, power, and authority to His church of His apostles!

Even His judging!
Matt 19:28 and 1 cor 6:2
His teaching authority!
Matt 28:19 and Jn 20:21
His power to forgive sins!
Jn 20:23
His being the light of the world!
Matt 5:14
His ministry of reconciliation!
2 cor 5:18
His authority in governing the church and administering the kingdom!
Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 Jn 21:17
Lk 22:29
Apart from me you can do nothing. Jn 15:5
So the church is subject to Christ!
Eph 5:24
Christ shares His glory! 2 thes 1:10 rev 12:1

The pillar and foundation of TRUTH!
1 Tim 3:15

The TWO EDGE SWORD!
To proclaim the truth! Matt 28:19
To condemn error! 1 cor 16:22

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9;4 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13) Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Matt 18:17 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42
1 Tim 3:15

Fundamentalism drives a wedge between Christ and his church, separates Christ from His kingdom, and the authority of Christ from the new covenant!

1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema

Extends to the truth and the church

Cos Christ is the truth and His church teaches the truth without error! Jn 14:6 matt 28:19 matt 18:17 1 Tim 3:15 Jn 29:21-23 Jn 16:13

Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32

Authority of the Apostles!

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

John 17:18
As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

The apostles are Christ’s successors!
They have authority to send others as well, apostle means one who is sent!

Therefore the apostles have authority to send more apostles or successors!
Apostolic succession!

The nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized and the church the new covenant kingdom of christ still needs to be governed!

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Christ is an apostle, and has authority to send other apostles, the apostles also have this authority, so the apostles continue down thru the centuries as Christ promised! Matt 28:19-20

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Isa 22:21-22

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

The apostles teaching is Christ’s teaching, Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4

Christian rule of faith is not the Bible alone! But the doctrine of the apostles! Acts 2:42

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

Reactions: The Learner

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
of course he was sent to baptize

“I give thanks [to God] that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one can say you were baptized in my name. (I baptized the household of Stephanas also; beyond that I do not know if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with the wisdom of human eloquence, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its meaning.”

(1 Corinthians 1:14-17, NABRE)

This is a Roman Catholic translation but non-Catholic translations convey the same statement by the apostle.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hmm..
Paul wasnt so 'open' with the Judaizers, nor John with the gnostics and others who left the community..

They went out from us, but they were not really of our number; if they had been, they would have remained with us. Their desertion shows that none of them was of our number.

If they are leaving the assembly then there is no point forcing a creed on them. In the early church there was spiritual life. Jesus said...all who are of the truth hear My voice. Would you replace that with a church organization that doesn't need for the Holy Spirit to work? Actually that is exactly what people have done. Jesus also said...will I find faith on the earth? Or Paul who said there is coming a time when men will no longer endure sound doctrine. Instead people have opted for dead forms of religion that bring no life.

It is the duty of the bishops to test and train and approve (ordain) those who are called to serve Christ and His church, and to correct those who teach contrary to the one holy, catholic and apostolic faith.

To suggest that the Spirit somehow abandoned the Church and failed to guide it into Truth is to reject the promises of Christ, imo..

How else than how the Church has tested and approved men for 2000 yeats, would you suggest to test those who claim to 'walk in the Spirit' ?

Pax et Bonum

People abandoned the way of life in the Spirit. You can make signs that say "church" on them all you want...but the presence of God is not controlled by ecclesiastical posturing.

Those who walk in the Spirit have no need of any religious conventions. Religion quenches the Spirit.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
13925423_1379875935361509_1331364447792566385_n.jpg

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If they are leaving the assembly then there is no point forcing a creed on them.

Force a creed on those leaving? Not at all. But what of those who teach contrary to the Faith and stay?
They must be corrected. The most extreme correction being excommunication from the community

In the early church there was spiritual life. Jesus said...all who are of the truth hear My voice. Would you replace that with a church organization that doesn't need for the Holy Spirit to work?

?? Of course the Church needs the Holy Spirit! Else men would have destroyed it long ago..
What so many here claim for themselves, is true of the Church catholic, we are led by the Holy Spirit into all Truth. And what was True for our brothers and sisters in 100 AD 200 AD 300 AD.. 1000 AD... Must still be True today!

Actually that is exactly what people have done. Jesus also said...will I find faith on the earth? Or Paul who said there is coming a time when men will no longer endure sound doctrine. Instead people have opted for dead forms of religion that bring no life.

On this i probably agree, 'forms of religion that deny its power, reject them'

But thatvis certainly not the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.

We proclaim the power of the Holy Spirit every we time we celebrate the Sacraments and cleary in the celebration of the Eucharist. It is the Power of the Holy Spirit that brings us the Bread of Life, and the Cup of Salvation.

People abandoned the way of life in the Spirit.

Which people?

The entire life of the Church is Life in the Spirit, centered on Christ, manifestly present, in the Eucharist!

Religion quenches the Spirit.

I guess that depends entirely on your definition of 'religion' doesnt it?

In the Catholic Church there are multitudes of rites, orders, apostolates, missions, associations, groups etc.. All founded by people as the Spirit moved them.
Yet all these in uniom with one another in celebrating the Feast!

You too, dear Episkopos,
are welcome to come to the wedding Feast of the Lamb of God!

Pax et Bonum

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please tell me what exactly is required for salvation in Jesus Christ?

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps... but who are they?

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;" Eph 4:11-14

Who then are these Apostles? You @theefaith have yet to name for me even one...!
Ephesians 4:13
Easy-to-Read Version
13 This work must continue until we are all joined together in what we believe and in what we know about the Son of God. Our goal is to become like a full-grown man—to look just like Christ and have all his perfection.

Reactions: amadeus

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I give thanks [to God] that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one can say you were baptized in my name. (I baptized the household of Stephanas also; beyond that I do not know if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with the wisdom of human eloquence, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its meaning.”

This is a Roman Catholic translation but non-Catholic translations convey the same statement by the apostle.

Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance.

The Didache, an anonymous Christian treatise that dates between the years 65 and 80, gives specific instructions as to where baptism should take place.

And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whatever others can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.
How was baptism practiced in the early Church?

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Acts 1:5
For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

1 Corinthians 1:17
For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

1 Corinthians 15:29
Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?