Church councils?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve never said that the teaching of the apostles isn’t binding on me. I assert and affirm that it is.

You jump the track with the Roman Catholic doctrine of apostolic succession.

then you believe the Bible is in error?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostolic succession within the Bible time frame, not extended beyond the Bible time frame.

the Bible’s time frame is until the return of Christ
Matt 28:19 I am with you (the apostles) until the end!
Acts 1:8 my witnesses unto the ends of the earth

all time and all places

and the church cannot change it must remain as Christ founded it until he returns!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
the Bible’s time frame is until the return of Christ

Not hardly. The Bible time frame ends in the 1st century A.D.

Matt 28:19 I am with you (the apostles) until the end!
Acts 1:8 my witnesses unto the ends of the earth

all time and all places

and the church cannot change it must remain as Christ founded it until he returns!

That’s right. And that’s why you’re mistaken.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m talking about apostolic succession in the Bible.

if Christ had authority to send apostles and the apostles have the same authority then they too can send apostles Jn 20:21

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chances are that most Catholics know very little about church councils, and generally ignore whatever they might have presented. As to binding authority only Roman Catholics believe that, although the Orthodox recognize the first six of those councils. So since there is even disagreement between these two groups, why would other Christians bother?
The early church leaders were taught by the Apostles and many likely heard Jesus teach. Then they taught whoever was the next generations.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did the ecclesiastical "authorities" not respect the Jerusalem council? Were Peter Paul and James not more authoritative than later pretenders? If God had wanted to create a religious formula (instead of life in the Spirit) why wait 300 years?
False Prophets and False Teachers was trying to invade the Church and it was neccesary to define truths.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of them are Roman Catholic.
Any Christian in Rome would have been a Roman Catholic.
8 Bible results for “Bishop” from
Authorized (King James) Version.
Results 1-8.
Filter by All
results per page
SUGGESTED RESULT
1 Timothy 3:2
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
BIBLE SEARCH RESULTS
  1. Acts 1:20
    For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.
  2. Philippians 1:1
    Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:
  3. 1 Timothy 3:1
    This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
  4. 1 Timothy 3:2
    A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
  5. 2 Timothy 4:22
    The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen. The second epistle unto Timotheus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Ephesians, was written from Rome, when Paul was brought before Nero the second time.
  6. Titus 1:7
    For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
  7. Titus 3:15
    All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. Amen. It was written to Titus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Cretians, from Nicopolis of Macedonia.
  8. 1 Peter 2:25
    For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.