Church refugees

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I do believe that there are a great number of people who leave the church for a variety of reasons... these I suppose you would call the 'dechurched.'

That’s exactly why I said that I believe the assessment is woefully inadequate.

I could also have said, in other words, that it is adequate as far as it goes, but it doesn’t go far enough.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Do church refugees splinter the church?

If so, is that a good thing?

If not, is that a good thing?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
To the left, to the left, to the left right left.

I left the church in the dust. I took a turn to the right.

To the left, to the left, to the left right left.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Dechurched -> Schism. Schismatic. Hasenpfeffer incorporated.

Is that still a thing?

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder if the greater numbers are people who never go to church, or people that used to go to church?

I do believe that there are a great number of people who leave the church for a variety of reasons... these I suppose you would call the 'dechurched.' Many leave, not because they find church stifling, bureaucratic or too structured, but because they find it inadequate, ineffective and hypocritical. They do not find it fosters meaningful relationships, good, accurate or relevant teachings-- rather it's little more than an appeal for their hard-earned dollars and requires them to suspend their logic and common sense in order to 'go along-- to get along' as far as doctrines and dogma are concerned.

It simply doesn't foster a real relationship with Christ. This, it's exchanged for "ministry."
I would conclude ...not. Most of the folks who went to church have passed. Few young ones since the 1960's have ever gone to church.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do church refugees splinter the church?

If so, is that a good thing?

If not, is that a good thing?
Not as it relates to God's work. It improves it.
Yes as relates to the moneymaking element of the church, which with many numbers is their main focus.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Not as it relates to God's work. It improves it.

I’m not sure I’m following what you’re saying here. Splintering the church improves God’s work? Or, leaving the church is not splintering the church and improves God’s work?

Yes as relates to the moneymaking element of the church, which with many numbers is their main focus.

Are you saying that the church exists, in part, to turn a financial profit?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I had a friend in High School who was what I would call “nominally Catholic.“ He went to mass primarily because that’s what his family did. He wasn’t anti-Catholic by any means, but neither was he zealously devoted. I haven’t seen him in over forty years.

Occasionally we would discuss religious topics. I was Southern Baptist and he teased me - as good teenaged buddies are so prone to do - about being a rebel (because I was a Protestant, at the time.) When he did, I’d raucously whistle Dixie and, sometimes, dance a jig. We would both laugh hysterically and then move on to something else. (Teenage immaturity on full display.)

He reserved his best shot for the non-denominational, quipping that they “rebelled against the rebellers.” (Sounds to the teenage ear like something akin to Samson’s riddle.)

So what’s the point of me sharing that old teenage tragicomedy?

In the view of my young Catholic friend, Protestants were dechurched (having departed from the Catholic Church) and non-denominationals were dechurched (having departed from the Protestant Church).

I thought it was brilliant, at the time. But consider this, if the non-denominational person retains Protestant doctrine when he / she leaves a denominational Protestant church wouldn’t the person still in fact be Protestant? Just a further splintering of an already splintered body and another step in that long tradition.

Protestants are dechurched? I bought into that idea when I was a teen, and sometimes - late at night or early in the morning - it vexed me. It doesn’t any longer, and hasn’t since I was a teen.

I’m neither Catholic nor Protestant (nor non-denominational, for those who might embrace that old teenage tomfoolery). Dechurched? I don’t think so but, if I were a betting man, I would wager the farm that it wouldn’t be difficult to locate Catholics and Protestants (and non-denominationals, for those who embrace that old teenage tomfoolery) who wouldn’t hesitate to place me in that category.

Echos of the Anabaptist movement, of which my [Christian] faith is easily traced on the road leading back to Jerusalem.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would conclude ...not. Most of the folks who went to church have passed. Few young ones since the 1960's have ever gone to church.

Not sure where you refer to, or what evidence you could point to.... Maybe you are the Duke of Paducah -- but in America that's not remotely true.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If non-denominational then wouldn’t they still be churched?

Non-denominational churches are still churches. Aren’t they?
Non-denominational wording has been hijacked...in instances...... as a denomination.
However, the true meaning of the words have not changed........it means a stand alone church without association with other churches.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not sure I’m following what you’re saying here. Splintering the church improves God’s work? Or, leaving the church is not splintering the church and improves God’s work?

Are you saying that the church exists, in part, to turn a financial profit?
Yes...the splinter that is NOT following God's word is dissected. Thus God's work is improved.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure where you refer to, or what evidence you could point to.... Maybe you are the Duke of Paducah -- but in America that's not remotely true
It would appear you just crawled out of a sand cave and joined the factual world.

Maybe you have not been to church in a few years....my observation of all gray hair and few young-ins...is the basis of my conclusion. Churches closing in areas of population growth, etc.
I am anxious to hear your basis ?.....but then not being a duke will probably challenge your status.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Non-denominational wording has been hijacked...in instances...... as a denomination.
However, the true meaning of the words have not changed........it means a stand alone church without association with other churches.
Of course there is the BIGGEST splinter of all = water baptism, being practiced in Several Different
ways. So IF a 'non-denominational' church practices it the 'same way' as a denominational church,
seems to me that would be a 'similar' association?

Amen.

God's Confusion Solver:

ONE ( Spiritual ) Baptism

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard TD Jakes do a sermon that I don’t think anyone else could get away with.He explained about Onan, how he spilled his seed on the ground, what that meant and why God struck him dead. He went on to say that if you do all your works in the Church and none in the world that you’re just spilling your seed on the ground.
Yeah , about TD JAKES . my advice flee him . He be a false one too . And if i didnt luv ya , i would not have warned you .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would appear you just crawled out of a sand cave and joined the factual world.

Maybe you have not been to church in a few years....my observation of all gray hair and few young-ins...is the basis of my conclusion. Churches closing in areas of population growth, etc.
I am anxious to hear your basis ?.....but then not being a duke will probably challenge your status.

How about Pew Research polls? I indirectly asked what information you base your perspective upon.... asked and answered. It's your personal observation in Paducha.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about Pew Research polls? I indirectly asked what information you base your perspective upon.... asked and answered. It's your personal observation in Paducha.

36% correlates with what I see....so what is your point to be revealed...yet?

LOL...sorry you don't like paducah.

30'sites % is pretty close to my opinion.
Do you care to show comparative % of 50 years ago...if you wish to make a point.

Here are some summaries... there are many more;
  1. Study: More churches closing than opening - Religion News Service Michigan​

religionnews.com/2021/05/26/study-more-
    News Study: More churches closing than opening The study, which analyzed church data from 34 Protestant denominations and groups, found that 4,500 churches closed in 2019, while about 3,000...
Google....many more.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

A stand alone church without association with other churches begs the question, how many churches is Jesus the head of?

Reactions: Mr E