Concerning the work of My hands, you COMMAND Me

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
NKJ, Isa 45:

11Thus says the Lord, The Holy One of Israel, and his Maker: “Ask Me of things to come concerning My sons; And concerning the work of My hands, you command Me.
Can we command and order God?

ESV offered this translation:

11Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed him: “Ask me of things to come; will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands?b
ESV softened the command by turning it into a question. Furthermore:

b 11 A slight emendation yields will you question me about my children, or command me concerning the work of my hands?
Barns explained:

'And do ye give me directions concerning the work of my hands**?**' According to this interpretation, God would reprove them for presuming to give him direction about what he should do, in accordance with the sentiment in Isaiah 45:9-10. This interpretation also is adopted by Vitringa, Jarchi, Aben Ezra, and some others.
At Biblehub, 7 versions used a statement while 14 used a question.

Let's check the context. ESV, Isa 45:

9 “Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots!
Isaiah pointed out the distinction between the Creator and the creatures/people. A series of questions followed:

Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’? 10Woe to him who says to a father, ‘What are you begetting?’ or to a woman, ‘With what are you in labor?’”
Creatures are not to question/doubt God's doings.

11 Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed him: “Ask me of things to come;
That's fine. But

will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands?
That's not fine. People cannot order God to perform.

12 I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host.
God could command creation, not people.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NKJ, Isa 45:

Barns explained:

Isaiah pointed out the distinction between the Creator and the creatures/people. A series of questions followed:

That's fine. But

Thank you for the research on this.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NKJ, Isa 45:

Barns explained:

That's fine. But

I've never heard it put that well before. Thanks much! It's less that we "command God" than when we cooperate with what His Creation has already determined we should ask for!

What a revelation! We ask for things that God *wants* us to ask for. Usually we think of asking for things that we want, rather than things that God has already decided we should want. I hope I have it right?

Reactions: TonyChanYT