Conjecture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This fits in nicely into my other recent thread entitled "The Wonders of the Kingdom of God." :)

How could Peter perceive how marvelous His light is without seeing it? :cool:

Ok. True. Maybe I’ve seen His marvelous light ...but I wouldn’t say with two eyes. But maybe you have. Only God knows and to Him be the Glory.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Now any honest person who owns a bible and believes in God knows that any kind of opinion as to what God will decide about us personally is strictly based on conjecture.
boy, i dunno epi, if you do this, I will do that seems pretty clear to me; but i'm behind here, cant read til later. "Personally?" will be an issue too imo

Reactions: Episkopos

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Now any honest person who owns a bible and believes in God knows that any kind of opinion as to what God will decide about us personally is strictly based on conjecture.

I say an honest person. There are a lot of indoctrinated people out there. And a lot of dishonesty.

con·jec·ture
/kənˈjekCHər/
noun
noun: conjecture; plural noun: conjectures
  1. 1.
    an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.
    "conjectures about the newcomer were many and varied"
    synonyms: guess, speculation, surmise, fancy, notion, belief, suspicion, presumption, assumption, theory, hypothesis, postulation, supposition; More
    inference, extrapolation, projection;
    approximation, estimate, rough calculation, rough idea;
    guesswork, guessing, surmising, imagining, theorizing;
    informalguesstimate, shot in the dark;
    informalballpark figure
    "we find his conjectures implausible"
    antonyms: fact
    • an unproven mathematical or scientific theorem.
      "the Goldbach conjecture"
    • (in textual criticism) the suggestion or reconstruction of a reading of a text not present in the original source.
verb
verb: conjecture; 3rd person present: conjectures; past tense: conjectured; past participle: conjectured; gerund or present participle: conjecturing
  1. 1.
    form an opinion or supposition about (something) on the basis of incomplete information.
    "many conjectured that the jury could not agree"
    synonyms: guess, speculate, surmise, infer, fancy, imagine, believe, think, suspect, presume, assume, hypothesize, take as a hypothesis, theorize, form/formulate a theory, suppose
    "I conjectured that the game was about to end"
    antonyms: know
    • (in textual criticism) propose (a reading).
Why are there so many varied opinions, doctrines, and denominations in Christendom?

Because people have replaced actual faith and knowledge of God with conjecture.
Hello @Episkopos,

How important it is to stick to what is actually written, and let the Word of God speak.
For our reasoning can cast shadows and hide the light.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Waiting on him

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You never quit. Why not just say what you disagree with And why?? Gosh sakes!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Either they who fear the Lord and are humble...or they who feel perfectly safe without these.
We can fear the Lord and be humble without leaving our assurance in Christ, in favor of seeking some assurance through our works.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Opinion? The bible states that salvation ultimately is based on obedience.

Ephesians 2
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

This states something else though.

This is not saying, by grace you are born again, rather, it teaches that by grace and not our works we are saved, and that this salvation is unto good works, not out of good works.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is going to be judged by their beliefs. Just their works that are of obedience to God's will...

While there are differences in punishments based on differences of revelation, and that may be considered judging based on beliefs, in the way I think you mean this, I completely agree with you.

I find nowhere in Scripture that people are judged according to their beliefs.

Only to the extent that it is by believing that we can be born again, and without being born again, the only other destination is to be tossed into the lake of fire to suffer eternal torment with the devil and his angels.

But our judgment, whether Christian or not, will be according to our works. And yes, only in obedience to God's will, which can only be done in the Spirit.

So then judged and condemned to the unbeliever, and judged but not condemned to the believer.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um....except that all we still have is our opinion about our encounter with the living God

Just so. And people have such a long history of being deceived, or simply failing to understand.

I think that what may sometimes happen even is that someone may have a real encounter with God, but not apply themselves sufficiently to know the Word, and then draw incorrect conclusions from their experience.

That is why I always so strongly urge everyone to apply themselves diligently towards knowing the Bible, so we have they objective report to guide our internal perceptions.

The beauty is that even those who come away confused, if they know the True and Living God, He's anticipated this, and already has the remedy.

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can fear the Lord and be humble without leaving our assurance in Christ, in favor of seeking some assurance through our works.

Much love!

To fear the Lord and walk humbly with Him is not damnable works of the flesh! No man should have any assurance without these And should never be told he has assurance of any kind without them. What the heck are you arguing for?? Geez...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the opinion of others about a testimony of the person with a real encounter from God. How did Moses know he was encountering God in the burning bush experience? How did Stephen know he wasn't hallucinating when he was allowed to see into the 3rd heaven?

And these we know because the Scriptures define what happened for us.

But do all who see things, even what they believe are heavenly things, are all these experiences true? The thing is, people can be wildly different from each other as they describe their excursions into the heavenly realm.

This has much to do with why I don't share many details of my life with God, knowing that we all experience things differently, we all have personal relationships with our Creator, and I think there is already enough dispute over what the Bible teaches without serving up a bunch of my experiences to distract away from Scritpure.

No one can know God any better whether or not I've played Twister with Jesus. Not that I have! I don't think I'm that flexible anymore!

But as we hear others report their experiences, all we really have to go by is what else they say, and whether it agrees with Scripture or not.

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All we have is our opinion
Really? Then we are of all men most miserable.

Bible truth is divine reality. Not the opinions of men. The Gospel is not opinion. Salvation is not opinion. The Second Coming of Christ is not opinion. These are all divine and spiritual realities. These are OBJECTIVE REALITIES.

However, Christians are presently being subjected to a lot of spiritual nonsense because many deceivers have entered into the world and into the churches.

Reactions: Nancy and Episkopos

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speculation about an encounter with God only exists in they who have not ever had such an encounter.
One may have had an encounter with God, but still find another's report of an encounter to be speculative. Many have reported encounters with God which vary wildly from each other, and from the Bible.

Much love!

Reactions: aspen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could Peter perceive how marvelous His light is without seeing it?
We know that Peter saw it, from Scripture.

2 Peter 1
16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Peter affirms that he saw and heard, and even so, Peter points to prophecy over his own experience. This is a man who personally knew Jesus, who saw Him glorified, who saw the brightness of God's presence in the cloud, and still he elevated Scripture over his own experiences.

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, then I'm sorry.

I might just be grumpy today. I get tired of every single thread Epi starts being jacked to OSAS, or an argument that no one needs to fear Him who can throw both body and soul into hell, or an argument that he is wrong with not a single thought as to why (or else just the same argument that will never make anyone change their mind.) Or continuous claims of how dangerous what he says is.

Reactions: amadeus and aspen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, then I'm sorry.

I might just be grumpy today. I get tired of every single thread Epi starts being jacked to OSAS, or an argument that no one needs to fear Him who can throw both body and soul into hell, or an argument that he is wrong with not a single thought as to why (or else just the same argument that will never make anyone change their mind.) Or continuous claims of how dangerous what he says is.
I know we all need be careful in how we read. I can think of a number of times I've caught myself hurridly going back to delete a post I made because I re-read and realized, whoops, that wasn't what they said!

:oops:

And your thought there is perfectly valid to me, that regardless of what we think or feel we must write on the internet, firstly we need to edify.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This fits in nicely into my other recent thread. :)

How could Peter perceive how marvelous His light is without seeing it? :cool:

True. I cannot help but think that His 12 were very special as they would be starting it all so, they had have been given strength, in the whole person of the Holy Spirit. The 12 will have their own thrones and they will judge Israel...we won't. Yes, there
While there are differences in punishments based on differences of revelation, and that may be considered judging based on beliefs, in the way I think you mean this, I completely agree with you.

I find nowhere in Scripture that people are judged according to their beliefs.

Only to the extent that it is by believing that we can be born again, and without being born again, the only other destination is to be tossed into the lake of fire to suffer eternal torment with the devil and his angels.

But our judgment, whether Christian or not, will be according to our works. And yes, only in obedience to God's will, which can only be done in the Spirit.

So then judged and condemned to the unbeliever, and judged but not condemned to the believer.

Much love!

The only thing I will say of this is that I see that we will be judged (as Christians) NOT for sin, as Jesus already took the punishment for sin. Yet, our works will be judged by fire...and to me, anyhow - that will determine where we will be in The Kingdom. Yes, some will be beaten with few stripes and some with many. Oh boy, I sure hate pain, lol.

Reactions: aspen