Context! Context! Context!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I just don't think it's right to use a scripture to try to prove a doctrine someone believes in when a person can read for his self or her self that the scripture in question is actually proving the opposite.

That has been my contention when people quote "a verse at me"...it means nothing. It proves nothing...but, whether we believe it is right to do so , sure won't stop it being done!! :)

Some play the game " who can our scripture who"....it means nothing.

Reactions: FHII

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
everyone has a right as to how they see scripture you see 5 wise 5 foolish virgins different than me... so be it your not pushing the issue .. some think they are so right they never see wrong..its called tunnel vision

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That has been my contention when people quote "a verse at me"...it means nothing. It proves nothing...but, whether we believe it is right to do so , sure won't stop it being done!! :)

And we see it so many times.... My favorite saying on this practice is that it isn't a game of cards where your scripture Trump's mine (or vice versa).

While some verses are great one liners and are edifying as such, you have to understand why it was given, and that is especially true in the Gospels and Epistles.

Reactions: Helen

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You're right, people are going to do it no matter how wrong we think it is.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And it's really... funny when they just throw up a bunch of Scripture they don't understand to use it as fodder, to make others think they know what they're talking about.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
everyone has a right as to how they see scripture you see 5 wise 5 foolish virgins different than me... so be it your not pushing the issue .. some think they are so right they never see wrong..its called tunnel vision

Everyone has a right on how they see scripture that's true and we should respect one who's exercising that right, but that doesn't mean what they believe concerning scripture is true and people have the right to respectfully disagree with what another believes. The problems come when someone disagrees with another then that person you disagree with is rude or judgemental as though that person thinks she/he is infallible in their reasoning on the the scriptures or their beliefs. People should be able to disagree without all that.

Reactions: Helen and FHII

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
As has been stated, context is paramont. For example, Romans 14 is often used to support the notion that the 4th commandment (3rd if you're RC) has been recinded. However, the context of the chapter from start to finish has to do with not judging anyone with regard to eating and drinking practices. Nothing is said about the Sabbath.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As has been stated, context is paramont. For example, Romans 14 is often used to support the notion that the 4th commandment (3rd if you're RC) has been recinded. However, the context of the chapter from start to finish has to do with not judging anyone with regard to eating and drinking practices. Nothing is said about the Sabbath.
For the most part, that is true. The basic message of the chapter focuses on eating and drinking practices. However, there is verse 5.

Romans 14:5 KJV
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

It doesn't mention the Sabbath, and it's not dwelt upon after or before this verse. It doesn't even say to not esteem one day (for example, the Sabbath day) above the other. It simply says let each be persuaded in his own mind, and that's extended to the things in this chapter.

It really seems to me he was just using the regarding of days as an example to the point that we can eat what we like, but not to allow it to offend another. Nontheless, that verse is there and it does suggest that the Sabbath day need not be observed.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Everyone has a right on how they see scripture that's true and we should respect one who's exercising that right, but that doesn't mean what they believe concerning scripture is true and people have the right to respectfully disagree with what another believes. The problems come when someone disagrees with another then that person you disagree with is rude or judgemental as though that person thinks she/he is infallible in their reasoning on the the scriptures or their beliefs. People should be able to disagree without all that.

I said to someone on here after we had gone 'back and forth' on an issue of scripture interpretation ..." Well to keep the peace we will just have to disagree agreeably "

The sharp answer came back quickly. "No I will never disagree agreeable with you, because that leaves it open that you may be right, and you are not. " What was meant was the person was not having an open discussion at all!
So why bother with those types. :D

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i agree alan jackson wrote a country song titled here in the real word ..in a real word on the net in a forum the odds of that is not very favorable ..i got banned in another forum BY THE OWNER because i contered him with scripture on water baptism essential to salvation