Context! Context! Context!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
As regards what I am "trained in", that has no relevance here Purity!
The NIV version of Ex.7:1 is " see I have Made you like God to Pharoah".
Don't be sorry you are not an Arian; but you clearly are abberant re The Godhead!
The below may help you, though I doubt it!!

Changes Made To The Old Testament (Separate study)

The Trinity in the Old Testament; (By Victor Alexander, ancient languages scholar)

Floyd.
1. It was keenly noted your omission to acknowledge Jesus was a mortal condemned man and that he died.
2. I never said Moses was actual God Himself but in what way was Moses like God before Pharaoh? Exo 4:16
3. Its noted you believe the word trinity is found in the OT text though no Bible has revealed such a translation.
4. The Godhead is easily defined here: 1 Cor 11:1-4 - take you a few seconds to learn.
5. You also have shown no context (keeping in line with the OP) that the doctrines of the trinity are Scripturally supported...waiting!

It is said by many theologians that Human reasoning cannot fathom the Trinity, nor can logic explain it, and although the word itself is not found in the Scriptures its comprehension is impossible.

Are you the type of Christian who also believes the trinity cannot be comprehended; its a unfathomable mystery?

I hope your faith is not established on the unknown.

Lets see you enquiring mind Floyd - I know its in there.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
You are living up to your reputation for obfuscation purity!
You did say you did not want to debate this subject remember!
You also are being devious re. my posts; so you are disqualified!
the following is conclusive re. the Godhead.

God and gods

Many people when reading Scripture are confused by the above terms, especially in many of the Old Testament references.

Adding to the confusion are the many Groups/churches that deliberately teach that God (Elohim) is not made up of 3 parts; i.e. God the Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit; which is partially true in the sense that Elohim (Almighty, All Powerful, All Knowing) takes on the Forms that suit His Plans, at any Administration Purpose.

The three mentioned above are of the same entity (El); therefore Divine.

The following are scripture references often used by some people to try and make the opposite case. They often are not using more than one Bible, or do not have facility for Translation comparisons; although these days that is rare.

In the worst cases, i.e. The Jehovah’s Witnesses, they have their own translation; although in their door to door work, they often carry a KJV.

Some popular Scripture references used to try to prove their erroneous teachings are the following:

The erroneous definitions are not given, as they are very varied; but the definitions of Dr. David Ginsburg (Jewish scholar, of Rabbinical training, who converted to Christ Jesus; and Dr. E. Bullinger) are.

Gen. 1:26; God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, to Our likeness”. This clearly refers to the Godhead, and not to angels, as the definite articles show. The same applies to Gen. 11:7.

Ex. 7:1; Moses is told that he “will be as God to Pharaoh”. He was thus empowered to compete (successfully) against Pharaoh and his sorcerers! This is considered to be a figure of Christ/God competing with Satan and his demons.

Ex. 15:15; refers to “dukes” or “chiefs” in human beings.

Ex. 32:8; refers to idolatry, in this case the “golden calf”.

1Sam. 28:13; “elohims (gods) rising out of the earth”. In this example, Saul was again defying God, in consorting with “familiar spirits” or demonic entities; which Saul, and all Israel had been told not to do. See Duet. 18; and Saul’s lip service in v3 and 7! The term “elohims” in the Hebrew, without the definite article refers to any supernatural entity, but especially those of Satan and his servants! With the definite article it always refers to The All Powerful God, Elohim!

1Sam. 2:25; Jehovah = Elohim in Covenant relationship with Israel in this case; but can apply to any of His created beings.

Psm. 45:6-7; v7 “God = Elohim Creator; anointed = Christ”.

Psm. 82:1-6; “gods”=judges or mighty ones on earth, they will die as men.

Psm. 97:7-9; “Lord” (KJV)=Jehovah (Covenanted with Israel). Verses 7 and 9= idols!

Psm. 136:2; “God” = Elohim, gods = elohim = earthly rulers, see 135:5.

John 10:33-35; “God”= Theos Grk.= Elohim = Creator. In the New Testament means “Father as the revealed God”.

Gen. 3:5; “like God, knowing good and evil”

Deut. 10:17; “God of gods”. El.= Elohim in all strength and power; omnipotent, Creator, knows all”.

I John 5:7, and Eph. 2:18 are conclusively self-explanatory!

Floyd.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Floyd said:
You are living up to your reputation for obfuscation purity!
You did say you did not want to debate this subject remember!
You also are being devious re. my posts; so you are disqualified!
the following is conclusive re. the Godhead.

God and gods
We are not debating the subject - I believe "your" claim, if I recall correctly, was the trinity had Scriptural context, yeah?

Where is it?

By context I mean a section in Scripture which is dealing with the Godhead like 1 Cor 11 which is clearly speaking to hierarchical authority - no brainer there.

Now consider below the context of each of these passages and tell me which one is dealing with three in one theology?
Many people when reading Scripture are confused by the above terms, especially in many of the Old Testament references.

Adding to the confusion are the many Groups/churches that deliberately teach that God (Elohim) is not made up of 3 parts; i.e. God the Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit; which is partially true in the sense that Elohim (Almighty, All Powerful, All Knowing) takes on the Forms that suit His Plans, at any Administration Purpose.
Nonsense - man your idea of context is straight out inference. Take us anywhere in the OT where the context is the Godhead and where a definition to the number 3 is made.

The following are scripture references often used by some people to try and make the opposite case. They often are not using more than one Bible, or do not have facility for Translation comparisons; although these days that is rare.
I like how you fail to acknowledge the Angelic Host - big omission, one which again shows your confirmation bias.

In the worst cases, i.e. The Jehovah’s Witnesses, they have their own translation; although in their door to door work, they often carry a KJV.

Some popular Scripture references used to try to prove their erroneous teachings are the following:

The erroneous definitions are not given, as they are very varied; but the definitions of Dr. David Ginsburg (Jewish scholar, of Rabbinical training, who converted to Christ Jesus; and Dr. E. Bullinger) are.

Gen. 1:26; God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, to Our likeness”. This clearly refers to the Godhead, and not to angels, as the definite articles show. The same applies to Gen. 11:7.
The obvious forced inference here is limiting the record to God, pre-existed Jesus and the Holy Spirit (which is the Power of God) all at the exclusion of the angelic Host which is the heavenly family.

Lets consider the angelic host which you have conveniently ignored.

Angels are:

•physical beings, personal beings - we are in the image and likeness; always presented as in human form and a man
•carrying God's Name
•channels through which God's Spirit works to execute His will
•in accordance with His character and purpose and thereby manifesting Him.

The most common Hebrew words translated 'God' is 'Elohim', which really means 'mighty ones' plural; these 'mighty ones' who carry God's Name can effectively be called 'God' because of their close association with Him.

In your weak assumption you failed to include the angels which clearly are evident in Genesis 1-3 - tells us that God spoke certain commands concerning creation, "and it was done". It was the Angels who carried out these commands:

"Angels, that excel in strength, that do His commandments, hearkening unto the voice of His word" (Ps.103:20)...Job 38:4-7 reveals joy after their creative work.

So you have no context in Gen 1 in terms of a Godhead because the context is "God" (The Godhead) commanding His ministering spirits do the works of creation.

Lets consider these beings and OUR likeness to them

They must have a literal, physical form of existence - like you Floyd! It is for this reason that when Angels have appeared on earth they have looked like ordinary men:

- Angels came to Abraham to speak God's words to him; they are described as "three men", whom Abraham initially treated as human beings, since that was their appearance: "Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree" (Gen.18:4)

- Two of those Angels then went to Lot in the city of Sodom. Again, they were recognized only as men by both Lot and the people of Sodom. "There came two Angels to Sodom", whom Lot invited to spend the night with him. But the men of Sodom came to his house, asking in a threatening way "Where are the men which came in to thee this night?". Lot pleaded, "Unto these men do nothing". The inspired record also calls them "men": "The men (Angels) put forth their hand" and rescued Lot; "And the men said unto Lot...The Lord hath sent us to destroy" Sodom (Gen.19:1,5,8, 10,12, 13).

- The New Testament comment on these incidents confirms that Angels are in the form of men: "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers; for some (e.g. Abraham and Lot) have entertained Angels unawares" (Heb.13:2).

- Jacob wrestled all night with a strange man (Gen.32:24), which we are later told was an Angel (Hos.12:4).

- Two men in shining white clothes were present at the resurrection (Lk.24:4) and ascension (Acts 1:10) of Jesus. These were clearly Angels.

- Consider the implications of "the measure of a man, that is, of the Angel" (Rev.21:17).

What a stretch - Floyd they way you handle the Word of Truth is appalling - now you wish to inject supernatural gods and demonic powers into Ex 7:1 - you have no creditability to speak on context none whatsoever.

1Sam. 28:13; “elohims (gods) rising out of the earth”. In this example, Saul was again defying God, in consorting with “familiar spirits” or demonic entities; which Saul, and all Israel had been told not to do. See Duet. 18; and Saul’s lip service in v3 and 7! The term “elohims” in the Hebrew, without the definite article refers to any supernatural entity, but especially those of Satan and his servants! With the definite article it always refers to The All Powerful God, Elohim!

1Sam. 2:25; Jehovah = Elohim in Covenant relationship with Israel in this case; but can apply to any of His created beings.

Psm. 45:6-7; v7 “God = Elohim Creator; anointed = Christ”.

Psm. 97:7-9; “Lord” (KJV)=Jehovah (Covenanted with Israel). Verses 7 and 9= idols!

Psm. 136:2; “God” = Elohim, gods = elohim = earthly rulers, see 135:5.

John 10:33-35; “God”= Theos Grk.= Elohim = Creator. In the New Testament means “Father as the revealed God”.

Deut. 10:17; “God of gods”. El.= Elohim in all strength and power; omnipotent, Creator, knows all”.

Floyd.
Not one of those passages provides anything like the Trinity in context or meaning.

Do you even know what the trinity means?

Where in the OT does it provide the relationship between Father and Son or Father and the Holy Spirit or the son of the Holy Spirit or Son and the Father?

Man I have met many Trinitarians in my time who have been very honest in stating the formulated doctrine of the Trinity is nowhere to be found in the OT and in term of the above relationships the NT is silent.

Floyd, its church dogma you are defending here nothing more, its the philosophies of men you are trying to force upon the Word.

I still don't wish to debate this subject but rather see from you some honesty that your comment of contextual support for the trinity is fabricated in your mind as nothing you supplied in this post has Trinitarian context.

Purity

Floyd said:
Hello Purity.
Yes, I believe so.
I can put up some interesting info. if you wish?
Floyd.
In hindsight you were better to say "Purity, I can infer a context and meaning upon Gods Word which allows me to accommodate Trinaterian doctrine though I cannot substantiate it with Biblical context"

If you believe “The meaning of a passage is determined by the context,” and example of this is the way the Apostle Paul frames his arguments around certain symbols. Its impossible to understand the context of the text without defining the symbols.

When you refer to the “context,” you are referring to the shared pattern of meaning willed by the author in the words, sentences, paragraphs, and chapters surrounding the text.

Thats why you stumbled over our discussion regarding Peter and Jesus because you couldn't speak to the context, words, sentences etc as they did not support your bias. The same is happening here and it will continue to happen while you hold preconceived ideas and notions which don't find their expression in the Word.

Thus, the context of Rom 3:20-21 for example is what Paul meant by the words that appear before Rom 3:20-21and what he meant by the words that appear after Rom 3:20-21. Good authors, of course, seek to assist their readers by providing a context whose meaning will be easily understood.

So rather than providing a list of quotes can you take me to one OT passage and show us from that passage the Trinitarian context - keeping also in mind the cultural context taking in the language of the day.

The Jews have never worshipped the god you believe because they where called to believe in a single all powerful God whose name is Yahweh. Both Father and Son are of one mind concerning who is God.

From Yahweh = [SIZE=1.32em]שׁמע ישׂראל[/SIZE], “Hear, O Israel,” Deut 6:4
From y[SIZE=80%]e[/SIZE]hôšua = the central confession of Israel’s monotheistic faith is found Deut 6:6 & Mark 12:29.

What is the context?

Godhead - the focus of worship in both passages is directed to Yahweh Himself as being God.

The Shema should be your first principle study in rightly handling the Word of God.

Though I doubt somehow you will have ears to hear.

Purity

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
I cant imagine that last post satisfied all your concerns.

Floyd, when I asked you to show us Scriptural context for the trinity as phrased by the Catholic Church you said "I believe it is there".

Can you take me us to a single verse, passage or chapter which deals with the trinity?

Yes or no?

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
God and gods

The erroneous definitions are not given, as they are very varied; but the definitions of the famous Dr. David Ginsburg (Jewish scholar, of Rabbinical training, who converted to Christ Jesus; and Dr. E. Bullinger) are; as their scholarship exceeds much that is available today. (Dr. Ginsburg worked for the British Museum and British Library for many years upon moving from Poland.)

References that follow, are the ones frequently used to argue against the Compound Godhead.

Gen. 1:26; God said,”Let Us make man in Our image, to Our likeness”. This clearly refers to the Godhead, and not to angels, as the definite articles show. The same applies to Gen. 11:7.

Ex. 7:1; Moses is told that he “will be as God to Pharaoh”. He was thus empowered to compete (successfully) against Pharaoh and his sorcerers! This is considered to be a figure of Christ/God competing with Satan and his demons.

1Sam. 2:25; Jehovah=Elohim in Covenant relationship with Israel in this case; but can apply to any of His created beings.

Psm. 45:6-7; v7 “God=Elohim Creator; anointed=Christ”.

Psm. 136:2; “God”=Elohim, gods=elohim=earthly rulers, see 135:5.

John 10:33-35; “God”=Theos Grk.=Elohim=Creator. In the New Testament means “Father as the revealed God”.

The major reference to The Godhead, is the very reference that the antagonists of the “three in one” use to try to prove their point! Moses spoke of this in Deuteronomy.

Deut. 6:4 is the definitive point to the whole argument.

“Hear O Israel: Jehovah our God is One Jehovah”!

The “antagonists” say that this statement proves One not “three in One” is proven by the statement of Moses!

What in fact is being emphasised by the "One" statement is that Jehovah is the One and only God!

When the Old Testament is viewed in the context of the "Shema" position; Moses is giving the children of Israel the prayer to which they must resort frequently; to remind them of their "Golden calf" idolatry at the beginning of their freedom from Egypt. Also, the same prayer was to be referred to continually to try to avoid future idolatry!

As we know it failed.

In the original Hebrew, the word translated “One” above is “ehad” which has the meaning “a compound unity”. The equivalent in Latin is “unus”. So; even at that early stage the revealing of the Godhead, the hints in Genesis were being confirmed!

Despite this firm Scriptural and Holy Spirit evidence, most will not change their minds, and accept the truth

Floyd.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
God and gods

The erroneous definitions are not given, as they are very varied; but the definitions of the famous Dr. David Ginsburg (Jewish scholar, of Rabbinical training, who converted to Christ Jesus; and Dr. E. Bullinger) are; as their scholarship exceeds much that is available today. (Dr. Ginsburg worked for the British Museum and British Library for many years upon moving from Poland.)

References that follow, are the ones frequently used to argue against the Compound Godhead.

Gen. 1:26; God said,”Let Us make man in Our image, to Our likeness”. This clearly refers to the Godhead, and not to angels, as the definite articles show. The same applies to Gen. 11:7.

1Sam. 2:25; Jehovah=Elohim in Covenant relationship with Israel in this case; but can apply to any of His created beings.

Psm. 45:6-7; v7 “God=Elohim Creator; anointed=Christ”.

Psm. 136:2; “God”=Elohim, gods=elohim=earthly rulers, see 135:5.

John 10:33-35; “God”=Theos Grk.=Elohim=Creator. In the New Testament means “Father as the revealed God”.

The major reference to The Godhead, is the very reference that the antagonists of the “three in one” use to try to prove their point! Moses spoke of this in Deuteronomy.

Deut. 6:4 is the definitive point to the whole argument.

“Hear O Israel: Jehovah our God is One Jehovah”!

The “antagonists” say that this statement proves One not “three in One” is proven by the statement of Moses!

What in fact is being emphasised by the "One" statement is that Jehovah is the One and only God!

When the Old Testament is viewed in the context of the "Shema" position; Moses is giving the children of Israel the prayer to which they must resort frequently; to remind them of their "Golden calf" idolatry at the beginning of their freedom from Egypt. Also, the same prayer was to be referred to continually to try to avoid future idolatry!

As we know it failed.

In the original Hebrew, the word translated “One” above is “ehad” which has the meaning “a compound unity”. The equivalent in Latin is “unus”. So; even at that early stage the revealing of the Godhead, the hints in Genesis were being confirmed!

Despite this firm Scriptural and Holy Spirit evidence, most will not change their minds, and accept the truth

Floyd.
Floyd, I still think you are missing what is being asked of you.

Show me where in the OT is the doctrine of the Trinity expounded.

Substantiate the below teaching with from the OT. I say it cannot be done and so far all I see from your posts is inference and mere speculation.

Here is the doctrine of the trinity for you to read as I am questioning whether you actually know your own teaching.

"We worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; neither confounding the persons; nor dividing the substance. For there is one Person of the Father; another of the Son, and another of the Holy Ghost.
"But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, is all one: the Glory equal, the Majesty co-eternal. Such as the Father is, so is the Son, and such is the Holy Ghost.
"The Father uncreate, the Son uncreate, and the Holy Ghost uncreate. The Father incomprehensible, the Son incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost incomprehensible. The Father eternal, the Son eternal, and the Holy Ghost eternal.
"And yet there are not three eternals, but one eternal. Also there are not three incomprehensibles, not three uncreated: but one uncreated, and one incomprehensible.
"So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet there are not three Almighties, but one Almighty.
"So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet there are not three Gods: but one God.
"So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not three Lords but one Lord.
"For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge every person by himself to be God and Lord; so we are forbidden by the Catholic religion to say, There be three Gods, or three Lords.
"The Father is made of none; neither created, nor begotten. The Son is of the Father alone: not made, nor created, but begotten. The Holy Ghost is of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.
"So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons: one Holy Ghost, not three Holy Ghosts.
"And in this Trinity none is afore, or after other, none is greater or less than others; but the whole three persons are co- eternal together; and co-equal. So that in all things as is aforesaid: the Unity in Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped. "HE THEREFORE THAT WILL BE SAVED MUST THUS THINK OF THE TRINITY."
Floyd I would be happy if you could prove the first line.

Getting you to acknowledge the OT and NT are silent on the Trinity is not easy buy once its achieved many doors begin to open.

Purity

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Getting me to to do your bidding, is not possible.
Your pedantic comments are of no value to Truth.
Your demand is laughable, as this is a free Forum; you do not decide who or what does anything!
The Truth is there for you to accept or deny!
Your motives are at least questionable; but may be much worse.
Your approach is lamentable at least; or ulterior at worst!
My prayer is that your spirit of disruption will not affect the uncertain, or weak.
Floyd.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Getting me to to do your bidding, is not possible.
Your pedantic comments are of no value to Truth.
Your demand is laughable, as this is a free Forum; you do not decide who or what does anything!
The Truth is there for you to accept or deny!
Your motives are at least questionable; but may be much worse.
Your approach is lamentable at least; or ulterior at worst!
My prayer is that your spirit of disruption will not affect the uncertain, or weak.
Floyd.
From this "wanting" response I conclude your claim to provide Biblical context for the doctrine of the Trinity could not be established or provided.

I am pleased with this outcome.

Purity

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Purity.
Having looked again at some of your posts; I have to say that you quite simply confuse the definite article, and its absence in the context of the term God and god!
Simple examination of each case gives the meaning.
Regarding the Term "Trinity", it is only a description of a profound concept; which nobody understand completely whilst in human flesh.
The evidence for a plurality is without doubt in Scripture, and to infer otherwise is in my mind is tantamount to heresy.
I expect to be in Melbourne soon, and would meet with you to further this case.
In the meantime; would you be so kind as to give your affiliation re. denomination?
Floyd.

daughterforlight

Apr 2, 2014
Canada
Purity said:
Lets get this out in the open up front Luke. Context is absolutely essential and one does not need the (indwelling) Holy Spirit to understand its meaning.

"For it is written in the book of Psalms" — Peter here cites Psa. 69:25, to assert that the disciples need not be surprised at the treachery of Judas and the seeming failure of their hopes! All those events had been forecast by David long before ( Psa 69:4, 25; Psa 109:16; Psa 41:6-9).

If the disciples had been looking for it it was discoverable - that's the point Peter is making!

"Let his habitation" — Gr. epaulis, which signifies a farm or country area; thus the field. Inheritance of an individual's land was conferred by divine right - Numbers 33:54.
"be desolate" — Gr. eremos, to be lonesome, by implication, to waste. The field represented his inheritance and future benefit, but that was to be such no longer, for his action had removed his divine privilege.
"and let no man dwell therein" The field became a cemetery, instead of providing for life.
"and his bishoprick let another take" — The word for "bishoprick" is episcope, the title given to an overseer (cp. Psa. 109:8). Judas had opportunity to reach great responsibilities of administration over a tribe of Israel (Mat. 19:28), but he destroyed his opportunity, and lost his future. His office was therefore to be given to another.

The context of Acts 1:20 along with all those Psalms contained the true meaning of Judas and his position in the twelve.

BTW - Scripture is never out of context because everything is related 1 Cor 2:13 to the one Spirit.

If you doubt what I teach as being false, I am happy to be tested.

In the masters service
Purity

Great work...Good to you..
Valuable free research...

[Links removed]

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm thinking you have beliefs that you agree with but there have been those who don't agree with your beliefs and who also think you've taken scriptures out of context to prove those beliefs are scriptural. Well you've just given everyone permission to take any scripture out of context to prove there beliefs or doctrine is scriptural and if anyone speaks out against them for taking scriptures out of context they'll say that people such as you says it's ok. Hurray for you. I'm betting those people who believe in the Trinity will want people to know it's ok to take scripture out of context to prove it. People will do anything to try to prove their doctrines, yet when someone else does the same thing it's some horrible thing to do.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm thinking you have beliefs that you agree with but there have been those who don't agree with your beliefs and who also think you've taken scriptures out of context to prove those beliefs are scriptural. Well you've just given everyone permission to take any scripture out of context to prove there beliefs or doctrine is scriptural and if anyone speaks out against them for taking scriptures out of context they'll say that people such as you says it's ok. Hurray for you. I'm betting those people who believe in the Trinity will want people to know it's ok to take scripture out of context to prove it. People will do anything to try to prove their doctrines, yet when someone else does the same thing it's some horrible thing to do.

Everyone on this thread is long gone now, Barney, but I must say it's an interesting discussion. Strange to see so many former members with solid contributions to an OP who are no longer anywhere to be found...

Maybe what you were talking about was part of it. I've never been one for sacred cow doctrines that must be treated with a hands off approach. Regardless of any church tradition, things should always be considered in light of scripture itself, and the context in which statements are found. That being said, I think there was an element of truth in the OP, though I think he put it incorrectly. When it comes to interpreting a text in its original historical setting, context is paramount. But interpreting something in light of the new things God was doing during NT times, i.e. revelation being shone upon a verse through the Holy Spirit's inspiration, makes taking a verse only in its strictest sense in the original context somewhat closed-minded.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone on this thread is long gone now, Barney, but I must say it's an interesting discussion. Strange to see so many former members with solid contributions to an OP who are no longer anywhere to be found...

Maybe what you were talking about was part of it. I've never been one for sacred cow doctrines that must be treated with a hands off approach. Regardless of any church tradition, things should always be considered in light of scripture itself, and the context in which statements are found. That being said, I think there was an element of truth in the OP, though I think he put it incorrectly. When it comes to interpreting a text in its original historical setting, context is paramount. But interpreting something in light of the new things God was doing during NT times, i.e. revelation being shone upon a verse through the Holy Spirit's inspiration, makes taking a verse only in its strictest sense in the original context somewhat closed-minded.

I just don't think it's right to use a scripture to try to prove a doctrine someone believes in when a person can read for his self or her self that the scripture in question is actually proving the opposite.

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context is important to a point, but its not as important as knowing how to take scripture out of context.
Well, what Peter did, I believe was wrong. It isn't the first time Peter messed up. But at least he was doing something.

Scripture should never be taken out of context, even if Peter did it once.

Mattias, a good man, was numbered with the Apostles. What Peter failed to realize is that God would fulfill the prophecy with Paul.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If understanding scripture is simply "keeping it in context", then why did Jesus have to "open the eyes" of the disciples in order for them to understand? Peter, in Acts 1:20, takes scripture way out of context! He takes half of two different psalms and paste them together as one. If He kept these in context there is no way he could have got Judas out of it, unless his eyes were opened and taught by the Spirit how to take scripture OUT OF CONTEXT! Context is important to a point, but its not as important as knowing how to take scripture out of context.

My context? Or yours?

I am kidding - this is an interesting thread.

the context is love.

Reactions: Helen

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If understanding scripture is simply "keeping it in context", then why did Jesus have to "open the eyes" of the disciples in order for them to understand? Peter, in Acts 1:20, takes scripture way out of context! He takes half of two different psalms and paste them together as one. If He kept these in context there is no way he could have got Judas out of it, unless his eyes were opened and taught by the Spirit how to take scripture OUT OF CONTEXT! Context is important to a point, but its not as important as knowing how to take scripture out of context.

Ps 69:18-26
18 Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies.
19 Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee.
20 Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none.
21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
22 Let their table become a snare before them: and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap.
23 Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not; and make their loins continually to shake.
24 Pour out thine indignation upon them, and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.
25 Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents.
26 For they persecute him whom thou hast smitten; and they talk to the grief of those whom thou hast wounded.
KJV

I see no problem at all with Peter quoting that about Judas. It directly applies to Judas, and also Christ's enemies who had Him crucified.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point of these forums is to have discussion. You know, give and take. I present my ideas and your present yours. Hopefully we learn from each other, but even if we disagree, as Christians we humbly hear the other person out from the perspective that we do not possess the omniscience of God
For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

ten thousand instructors in Christ, this is what we have but not many fathers in the Lord

Reactions: Helen