Correction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are people born this way or is it something that develops due to circumstances?
My guess here is that he was raised that way, his dad could have been a pastor...my last calvinistic pastor followed in his fathers footsteps.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Calvinism IS a very attractive doctrine to many people. First of all, because it gives justification to the "Them vs. Us" issue lots of people deal with. (You see that daily, right here on this forum.) Secondly, it relieves people of any responsibility to actually follow Christ's Great Commission. "If God created 'them' to go to Hell, then I need not concern myself with them."

Reactions: DNB

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Calvinism IS a very attractive doctrine to many people. First of all, because it gives justification to the "Them vs. Us" issue lots of people deal with. (You see that daily, right here on this forum.) Secondly, it relieves people of any responsibility to actually follow Christ's Great Commission. "If God created 'them' to go to Hell, then I need not concern myself with them."
No actually this is not true in any sense. It does not relieve us of witnessing. In fact, some of the GREATEST Evangelists were Calvinists. So you should probably research this a bit more instead of just running your mouth.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is unbelievable? That I don't just accept your story at face value? What are you hiding?

You know David, it's going to hurt bad when God knocks you off of that very high horse you are sitting on. I hide NOTHING you ignoramus. I guess they were just not used to kind people. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Willie T

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why did they shun you? You are either making this up or not telling us the whole story.

Ha! You are very presumptuous. I was ignored and even spoken to rudely for NO reason! I will give you an example. Waiting for Sunday school to start, I went into the "hospitality" room to grab a cup of coffee. There was always a woman sitting in there, seemed to be alone allot, except for her little clique after services. So, even though it is hard for me to engage in conversation with others, I felt for her so, I said, hello, how are you? She actually jumped off her chair and said VERBATIM "I don't talk to strangers who I don't know" First off, I wanted to say, how many strangers DO you know...but bit my tongue. I had been attending every single Sunday for almost two years at that point! And, believe it or not, her "ministry" in that small and dwindling Church was "hospitality! What a joke. One more, one of the matriarchs there pulled me aside, rather roughly at that and asked me if I was drinking! So, I was forced to let her know of my surgeries, accidents and foot drop and dead nerves in my lower legs. Now, if it were me, I probably would have said oh, are you alright? But no...she walked away with her snobby nose in the air, wow. So, maybe they did not like my testimony? Maybe they did not like that I had no children or grandchildren? Gee...your guess. I was not the only one who got this treatment either! For the record I could care less what you "think".

Reactions: Willie T and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not according to a calvinist.
I really only know about Calvinists what I have read on forums such as this one. I don't remember it all, of course, but if it were correct, I would really be wondering not about them as much as about God. I don't wonder about God. I simply love Him for what He has allowed me to see.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Helen This is what name-calling looks like.
Actually if a person really is an ignoramus, it simply means he doesn't know much in some area. Rather than merely ignorant [one lacking is knowledge], he is extremely ignorant. If use correctly
My guess here is that he was raised that way, his dad could have been a pastor...my last calvinistic pastor followed in his fathers footsteps.
I have not been among Calvinists, but among Pentecostals and they with very different doctrines/beliefs have made the same kind of mistakes. It can be a good thing for a son to follow in his father's footsteps. But it is not good if the father is not following Jesus. It is not good if the father is following Jesus but the son is only putting on a show to supposedly inherit what he thinks his father has. Walking with God is not inherited, although of course a parent can strongly influence a child. The child still when he becomes accountable must make his own decisions, right or wrong, good or evil!

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is what I am saying.
What then is the purpose of someone born effectively on the wrong side of the tracks to try to cross over to the other side? What is the purpose of anyone coming to God in repentance if he was born without hope? Back to Solomon:

"Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?" Ecc 1:2-3

Reactions: Nancy