Correction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Try attending one of their Church's. You will need a parka, ear muffs, several warm hats and at least 2 pairs of gloves and mucklucks! Been there, done that...NEVER looked back after a couple years of it.
I want a muckluck! Whatever it is!

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want a muckluck! Whatever it is!

Lol...
arr8.jpg

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, SO I need TWO of them! That's important information.

But having seen I want them all the more!

Much love!
We had them in the Air Force...I was 4 years in Rapid City S.D. Got veeery cold there..they were issued to us. They did not look as nice as the ones I posted though, lol.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not? And it's not a belief, it is what Scripture states.
When you have a discussion with a person it would better to read and try to understand what that other person believes. Otherwise it is not really a discussion. When I was in college I had some professors who simply presented a lecture. They talked and we listened. There was no discussion. This is not a lecture hall but a place where we supposed to discuss.

What I believe is also what the scripture says, but comes out rather differently than the way yours comes out. If you really want to have a discussion, I am not unwilling. But, please no lectures you to me.

Consider the words of Solomon written a thousand years before Jesus was born to Mary in Bethlehem. What he wrote was wisdom then and it is wisdom today. People have only gone past the words of Solomon if and when they are following Jesus. Following Jesus means more than following what we believe the scriptures mean.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you have a discussion with a person it would better to read and try to understand what that other person believes. Otherwise it is not really a discussion. When I was in college I had some professors who simply presented a lecture. They talked and we listened. There was no discussion. This is not a lecture hall but a place where we supposed to discuss.

What I believe is also what the scripture says, but comes out rather differently than the way yours comes out. If you really want to have a discussion, I am not unwilling. But, please no lectures you to me.

Consider the words of Solomon written a thousand years before Jesus was born to Mary in Bethlehem. What he wrote was wisdom then and it is wisdom today. People have only gone past the words of Solomon if and when they are following Jesus. Following Jesus means more than following what we believe the scriptures mean.
Alright, fair request. What, specifically, would you like to debate/discuss without lecture?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Alright, fair request. What, specifically, would you like to debate/discuss without lecture?

I have a question David.
If you /Calvinists, believe as I saw you say to amadeus yesterday... that
Salvation is of the Lord ( which indeed it is ) then you went on to say (something like..I can't find it now , neither do I know which thread it was in) ..God saves those that He wants to save , and the rest He doesn't ( or something like that) Amadeus answered by saying " So why are you here on this forum" Maybe you remember ?

Anyway , my question is. 1) does your church believe in sharing The Good News with people? 2) If not, how do you see where Jesus says " Go into all the world and preach the gospel ..etc ?"

EDIT -I didn't see your answer to Amadeus if indeed to answered him.
So are you just here to show us here that we are not saved , as we are not Calvinists? Or why?

Reactions: Nancy

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1) does your church believe in sharing The Good News with people?
Of course we share the Gospel. Wholeheartedly. Calvinists are some of the most ambitions evangelists.

So are you just here to show us here that we are not saved , as we are not Calvinists? Or why?
I have never said that at all. I am here becuase I am a theologian and like to discuss theology. Unfortunately there is much error on this site hence why we so often butt heads.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We have discussed better ways to confront people and offer correction in a manner in which a person can actually listen......

I am sitting in a coffee place right now and a father is confronting his daughter about her behavior. He is basically trying to warn her that her behavior is ungodly and will lead to ruin - she is possibly drunk and pretty much rolling her eyes, which is pissing him off. He is invoking God, throwing around scripture, and demonizing every bad decision and danger, real and imagined.

He is sincere and who knows, she might be listening - she isn’t leaving. I can hear the fear in his voice. And the fact that I can hear it is the problem......l

It is not the content of his message or his tone or anything he is doing that is turning her away....it is the public nature of the sermon.

It reminds me that first, parenting is hard, and that confronting anyone is a delicate process, which can go wrong quickly. Embarrassing a person you are confronting is dooming all efforts.

I mention this because I see it happening all the time here.
Just curious aspen, have you any thoughts on why the father was remiss in applying tact to his discussion with his daughter? Do you think that he's just brutal by nature, was he frustrated, or oblivious to how loud that he was talking, or to the scene that he was making?
I don't believe in a public reprimanding, ...unless, the offensive act was committed publicly, and the rebuke acts as a warning to all who witnessed the offense.
1 Timothy 5:20. Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning.
But, outside of such a circumstance, discretion is the best policy. For humiliating someone takes away from the remedial intent of the admonishment. Meaning, one would have to question the motive of the person embarrassing the other. Was it frustration, maybe the last straw after several warnings (possibly warranted), did the daughter appear defiant and contemptuous, or was the dad just misguided and over-zealous?

Reactions: reformed1689

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have discussed better ways to confront people and offer correction in a manner in which a person can actually listen......

I am sitting in a coffee place right now and a father is confronting his daughter about her behavior. He is basically trying to warn her that her behavior is ungodly and will lead to ruin - she is possibly drunk and pretty much rolling her eyes, which is pissing him off. He is invoking God, throwing around scripture, and demonizing every bad decision and danger, real and imagined.

He is sincere and who knows, she might be listening - she isn’t leaving. I can hear the fear in his voice. And the fact that I can hear it is the problem......l

It is not the content of his message or his tone or anything he is doing that is turning her away....it is the public nature of the sermon.

It reminds me that first, parenting is hard, and that confronting anyone is a delicate process, which can go wrong quickly. Embarrassing a person you are confronting is dooming all efforts.

well if some one wants the truth to make them feel good or they accept things only under their own conditions then, they will miss out on many things. its the one that is in need of correction that needs to conform or adjust their attitude, not the other way around. the one with the truth has no need to conform, he has already conformed in order to know the truth. the attitude of the one being correct is the one being corrected's problem.

if you can't conform to live when its within your power to do so, then die.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah.. when correcting one another in Christ's love, it should be private and if they do not listen, then 2 or 3 witnesses is required to confirm the word and if that erring brethren still is not listening, then before the whole congregation; and if still unrepentant, excommunication is required.

Matthew 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. 12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? 13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. 14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish. 15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what good is the truth if it is not able to be received?

Galatians 4:16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Proverbs 27:5 Open rebuke is better than secret love. 6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

I have to admit, when people are doing evil to me, I do not rebuke them for I had considered it as casting pearls before swine because they do not want to hear it, even when they profess to know Jesus Christ, but yet they are defrauding me... so I apply these words..

1 Corinthians 6:6 But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers. 7 Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded? 8 Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.

1 Peter 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified. 15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters. 16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

I still need the Lord's help to glorify God on my behalf, but I trust Him to do His work in me to accomplish that.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm....

so what’s the answer? It seems like you are saying some people are meant to hear and others are meant not to hear. If this is truly the case, how can it be just to resent those who are created not to hear?

It is on God to cause the increase since we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but...

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

when correcting one another in Christ's love, it should be private and if they do not listen, then 2 or 3 witnesses is required to confirm the word and if that erring brethren still is not listening, then before the whole congregation; and if still unrepentant, excommunication is required.

Matthew 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. 12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? 13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. 14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish. 15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

When ministering to those outside the church in calling them to repentance.

2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is on God to cause the increase since we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but...

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

when correcting one another in Christ's love, it should be private and if they do not listen, then 2 or 3 witnesses is required to confirm the word and if that erring brethren still is not listening, then before the whole congregation; and if still unrepentant, excommunication is required.

When ministering to those outside the church in calling them to repentance.

2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

so, I considered this board to be ‘outside the church’. It is a permanent display of Christians and nonChristians working out their understanding of doctrine and declares the heart of each person who posts here - until the Internet is destroyed or Christ returns. Post wisely

Reactions: Enow

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so, I considered this board to be ‘outside the church’. It is a permanent display of Christians and nonChristians working out their understanding of doctrine and declares the heart of each person who posts here - until the Internet is destroyed or Christ returns. Post wisely

I see it as more of an outreach ministry for why we should in patience and meekness hope God is peradventuring to recover any from the snares of the devil, and so, yes, I agree, but I rely on the Lord Jesus Christ to help me post wisely.

Reactions: aspen