Cremation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Do you mean then that we continue to live in spiritual life after we die physically?

He who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe?

Much love!
the dead know nothing
who is it that disturbs my rest?
you and your sons will be here with me

so wadr i dont mean anything!
Or even what He said, perhaps?
"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit"

And if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world
I have no idea what you're talking about here.
ok, yes. Have a good day

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The rapha. The spirits of the nephilim killed in the flood. Not angels, not human, they don't go to 'tartarus', they don't go to sheol, they roam the arid places looking for rest. The unclean spirits.

Rapha makes a fascinating OT search, but you need to get past the English translations, since, rapha and mooth tend to be conflated in some translations, I think.

Much love!

I don’t know anything about the nephilim. Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since I see no direct instruction in The Word about cremation...why would a Christian think it is wrong? Look at all those who have died in fires (many Christians as well)...nothing to bury ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. So, if a Christian chooses for various reasons to be cremated rather than buried or placed into a crypt does that suddenly void out their salvation? Flesh and blood will not inherit the Kingdom, but our glorified NEW bodies will, I don't think God needs our rotted corpse to give us new bodies.

"But someone may ask, ‘How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come"?

If we sow, we don't plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else...So it's supposed to be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Corinthians 15:35, 37, 42-44

Our bodies will slowly decay and the Resurrection bodies are NOT what we were buried in anyhow. So, since I do plan on cremation, I'd love to hear other's take on this subject.
Thank you and God Bless
nancy

Hi Nancy. It saddens me to hear you plan for your death and makes me wonder if you are in poor health. I hope not.

It's an interesting point you raise and one that i had never actually considered. Everyone i know who has died was buried.
I don't recall the Bible specifically addressing this topic so i referred to the Catholic Catechism. I know your not a Catholic but i just thought I would give their perspective. Cremation was never allowed by the RCC but in 1963 they changed that. They have recently added to it by saying that the ashes should be kept in a Holy place, they should not be scattered or kept at home or anywhere else. From what I understand it is only the eastern orthodox church that doesn't allow cremation...

Thinking about it i think i would prefer to be cremated as well... I don't like the thought of my corpse being embalmed, stored in a freezer, having make-up applied to my face, dressed in a suit and placed in a box only to decompose and be eaten by maggots and other insects... Although i do look smart in a suit i don't like wearing them as they are uncomfortable, im more of a tshirt and tracksuit kind of guy... LoL

Im a registered organ donor and am happy for them to take any parts that may be useful to someone. After that i think i would prefer to be cremated.

Reactions: Nancy

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
the cremation is wrong because of the tradition

we woke up since childhood to the habit that we thought it was the right thing and thought this is the whole truth

Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

amen right?

what is wrong with cremation there is nothing impossible with God everyone will still be resurrected in the end in judgment time

wherever your corpse is at
this body is temporary but the spirit is not

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Nancy,
I don't think so. I believe Jesus is here we me now, but not in a visible way. I don't perceive Him in a 5-senses sort of way. But in the age to come, that will be my environ, and I'll experience Him in that way.

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me, though dying, shall live. And he who lives and believes in me will never die. Believest thou this?"

Death more abundantly? This speaks to me of life more abundantly.

Much love!
'Jesus saith unto her, "Thy brother shall rise again."
Martha saith unto Him, "I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
Jesus said unto her, "I am the resurrection, and the life:
he that believeth in Me,
though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die.
Believest thou this?"
She saith unto Him, "Yea, Lord: I believe that Thou art the Christ,
The Son of God, Which should come into the world.
(John 11:23-25)

Hello @marks,

I ask Nancy to forgive me for diverting the thread momentarily, here, but I believe this to be important.

* In the words of our Lord to Martha, He tells her that He is 'The Resurrection and the Life.'
* Martha had told Him that she believed, as the rest of her countrymen, in a resurrection which would take place at the last day. Now He gives her a wonderful revelation concerning Himself as 'The resurrection and The Life'.
* He tells her that 'he that believeth in Me' '- though he were dead, yet shall he live.' - When will that be? Will it not be when He comes as The Resurrection and the Life? When will that be? Will it not be "at His coming?" (1 Corinthians 15:23).
* Then He said, 'And whosoever liveth, and believeth in me.' When? - At His coming? (1 Corinthians 15:52) '... shall never die.'. Now this was news indeed! That there would be those who would not see death.

* We see the truth of this in 1 Thessalonians 4:13- :-
'But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep,
.. that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
.... For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again,
...... even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him.
........ For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord,
.......... that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord
............ shall not prevent them which are asleep.
For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God:
.. and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
.... Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds,
...... to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
........ Wherefore comfort one another with these words.'

(1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)

* So our Lord is not saying that believers generally will never die: but that those who are alive and remain at His coming, they are those who will never die.

Praise God!

Thank you, Nancy.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite and Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since I see no direct instruction in The Word about cremation...
This is one of THE LAMEST excuses that Christians use when they decide to go off the rails. "I see no EXPLICIT instructions about...." therefore I do not have the duty and obligation to study the Word and determine what is implied and what is not.

Candidus has given everyone excellent reasons why cremation is UNACCEPTABLE for Christians. If that does not suffice, it means that people would rather do as they please rather than as God pleases. And that is definitely not loving God with heart, mind, soul, will, and strength.

Reactions: Candidus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy,

'Jesus saith unto her, "Thy brother shall rise again."
Martha saith unto Him, "I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
Jesus said unto her, "I am the resurrection, and the life:
he that believeth in Me,
though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die.
Believest thou this?"
She saith unto Him, "Yea, Lord: I believe that Thou art the Christ,
The Son of God, Which should come into the world.
(John 11:23-25)

Hello @marks,

I ask Nancy to forgive me for diverting the thread momentarily, here, but I believe this to be important.

* In the words of our Lord to Martha, He tells her that He is 'The Resurrection and the Life.'
* Martha had told Him that she believed, as the rest of her countrymen, in a resurrection which would take place at the last day. Now He gives her a wonderful revelation concerning Himself as 'The resurrection and The Life'.
* He tells her that 'he that believeth in Me' '- though he were dead, yet shall he live.' - When will that be? Will it not be when He comes as The Resurrection and the Life? When will that be? Will it not be "at His coming?" (1 Corinthians 15:23).
* Then He said, 'And whosoever liveth, and believeth in me.' When? - At His coming? (1 Corinthians 15:52) '... shall never die.'. Now this was news indeed! That there would be those who would not see death.

* We see the truth of this in 1 Thessalonians 4:13- :-
'But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep,
.. that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
.... For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again,
...... even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him.
........ For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord,
.......... that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord
............ shall not prevent them which are asleep.
For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God:
.. and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
.... Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds,
...... to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
........ Wherefore comfort one another with these words.'

(1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)

* So our Lord is not saying that believers generally will never die: but that those who are alive and remain at His coming, they are those who will never die.

Praise God!

Thank you, Nancy.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Not a problem at all Chris, you did not at all derail.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"

"Thinking about it i think i would prefer to be cremated as well... I don't like the thought of my corpse being embalmed, stored in a freezer, having make-up applied to my face, dressed in a suit and placed in a box only to decompose and be eaten by maggots and other insects... Although i do look smart in a suit i don't like wearing them as they are uncomfortable, im more of a tshirt and tracksuit kind of guy... LoL"

Not planning on dying anything soon
Ha!! WORD!!!!! Neither do I fancy having my corpse on display. A picture would be fine!!!

I did not know the Catholic Church changed it's stance on this and, I was bought up Catholic and did not even know of such things as a kid.

Everyone in my family, which on my mom's side, are CC and, I have no problem with their traditions and ceremonies. All have been buried because, that's what they do. Laid out for 3 days for people to get their "closure. I know many talk about "closure" but to me...you know soon enough all about "closure" when you can't pick up the phone and talk to them, all of the "firsts"...holidays, birthdays anniversaries...
Let my body teach healers and from there...I am sure Christ will still raise me as He has promised :)

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Ye cos i thought i remembered u saying u were Catholic. Im not a strict Catholic, in fact some people would say im not a Catholic at all as i question some of its teachings. But more often then not i am comfortable with the logic they use.

I assumed the burial was the Catholic thing as well. A few years ago a work mate told me he bought two of those drawers in the mausoleum. He was Catholic and I thought it was weird but apparently its fine. He would jokingly say that he bought the highest draws cos he needed a head start to get to heaven... LoL

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him,
and He shall direct thy paths.'

(Pro 3:5)

Hello Nancy,

I have not responded to your OP until now, because this question has been asked of me, by my sister, and the jury is still out on it for me. I have it in mind to speak to someone from funeral services soon to find out details of cost and procedure. My sister has bought a burial plot in the village where I live, but lives outside the area, she did so when her daughter died and was buried there, so that she could be buried with her. However, funeral costs have increased so much, and because she lives outside the area the cost is doubled to be buried in that plot now, regardless of the fact that the plot has been paid for in advance. So she is considering being cremated instead, and having her ashes interred locally.

I am going to be buried, God willing, for that reflects what naturally occurs, and biblical procedure regarding the dead. I am, thankfully, in a position where financial provision has been made for this, so I do not have to face the exorbitant costs that you have had to consider, Nancy.

You are beloved of God and precious, Nancy. May God direct your path.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him,
and He shall direct thy paths.'

(Pro 3:5)

Hello Nancy,

I have not responded to your OP until now, because this question has been asked of me, by my sister, and the jury is still out on it for me. I have it in mind to speak to someone from funeral services soon to find out details of cost and procedure. My sister has bought a burial plot in the village where I live, but lives outside the area, she did so when her daughter died and was buried there, so that she could be buried with her. However, funeral costs have increased so much, and because she lives outside the area the cost is doubled to be buried in that plot now, regardless of the fact that the plot has been paid for in advance. So she is considering being cremated instead, and having her ashes interred locally.

I am going to be buried, God willing, for that reflects what naturally occurs, and biblical procedure regarding the dead. I am, thankfully, in a position where financial provision has been made for this, so I do not have to face the exorbitant costs that you have had to consider, Nancy.

You are beloved of God and precious, Nancy. May God direct your path.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Thank you Chris.
"the area the cost is doubled to be buried in that plot now, regardless of the fact that the plot has been paid for in advance."
That is horrible. Shouldn't matter if she lives there or not, she paid for it and it is nothing but greed, how sad. Even IF the cost has doubled, she paid the asking price at the time, this kind of thing is nothing but price gouging and taking advantage in a very sad and tender situation. I feel for your sister.

Must say that I have never given cremation a second thought until all the folks who do NOT think it is okay started to chime in. Now I have yet another thing to feel torn about!!! Dang! Never ends :(

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
However, funeral costs have increased so much, and because she lives outside the area the cost is doubled to be buried in that plot now, regardless of the fact that the plot has been paid for in advance.
As I stated to someone else, almost anyone can afford a small life insurance policy to cover last expenses (at the very least). And insurance has been around for ages. The cash is paid upon the presentation of a death certificate. If the average funeral costs around $9,000 and someone has a policy for $20,000, there is no issue.