Cremation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I see no direct instruction in The Word about cremation...why would a Christian think it is wrong? Look at all those who have died in fires (many Christians as well)...nothing to bury ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. So, if a Christian chooses for various reasons to be cremated rather than buried or placed into a crypt does that suddenly void out their salvation? Flesh and blood will not inherit the Kingdom, but our glorified NEW bodies will, I don't think God needs our rotted corpse to give us new bodies.

"But someone may ask, ‘How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come"?

If we sow, we don't plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else...So it's supposed to be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Corinthians 15:35, 37, 42-44

Our bodies will slowly decay and the Resurrection bodies are NOT what we were buried in anyhow. So, since I do plan on cremation, I'd love to hear other's take on this subject.
Thank you and God Bless
nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 13:3

for the first law of Thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only God can do that. (smile).

PICJAG.

Are you saying that a dead body equates with energy? Ash's to ash's... :) Truly though, energy cannot be destroyed?? I'm a sciency type technophobe...splain plainly Lucy! :D

Reactions: Helen and Mayflower

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that a dead body equates with energy? Ash's to ash's... :) Truly though, energy cannot be destroyed?? I'm a sciency type technophobe...splain plainly Lucy! :D
no worries, all thing that are made is made of atoms, and atoms make up molecule, and molecule make up object. and all atoms have subatomic structure be it in a particles, or wave structor. but all are in the form of engery.

PICJAG.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I see no direct instruction in The Word about cremation...why would a Christian think it is wrong? Look at all those who have died in fires (many Christians as well)...nothing to bury ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. So, if a Christian chooses for various reasons to be cremated rather than buried or placed into a crypt does that suddenly void out their salvation? Flesh and blood will not inherit the Kingdom, but our glorified NEW bodies will, I don't think God needs our rotted corpse to give us new bodies.

"But someone may ask, ‘How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come"?

If we sow, we don't plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else...So it's supposed to be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Corinthians 15:35, 37, 42-44

Our bodies will slowly decay and the Resurrection bodies are NOT what we were buried in anyhow. So, since I do plan on cremation, I'd love to hear other's take on this subject.
Thank you and God Bless
nancy
All examples of Jewish and Christian deaths in Scripture involve burial. While it is true that with time. the elements with break everything down to dust, and whether one is cremated or not would not be any difficulty for God. Yet, cremation is heathen. It is not a good testimony in my mind. Death, burial and resurrection... people raised from the grave symbolically matches what God says He will do. I would rather identify with God after my death than identify with heathen tradition.

Scripture speaks of burial, and burning up is symbolically equated with judgment against whom the fire burns and consumes. Imagine if Jesus was cremated instead of placed in a tomb.

If the question is: Is Cremation Christian?

The answer is: No

Is cremation and not burial a salvation issue?

Answer: No, but it can be an issue of selfishness and not caring what God was consistent in telling us. Most that arrange for cremation do not concern themselves with what God would want. I believe that in death the better testimony is to show the hope of the resurrection from the grave. While Jesus wasn't planted underground in His burial, many others were in Scripture. Identifying with Christ is, in my mind, a better testimony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enoch111

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that a dead body equates with energy? Ash's to ash's
decomposition is a reaction to enegry release, or changed into another form.

PICJAG.

Reactions: Nancy

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All examples of Jewish and Christian deaths in Scripture involve burial. While it is true that with time. the elements with break everything down to dust, and whether one is cremated or not would not be any difficulty for God. Yet, cremation is heathen. It is not a good testimony in my mind. Death, burial and resurrection... people raised from the grave symbolically matches what God says He will do. I would rather identify with God after my death than identify with heathen tradition.

Scripture speaks of burial, and burning up is symbolically equated with judgment against whom the fire burns and consumes. Imagine if Jesus was cremated instead of placed in a tomb.

I disagree with that assessment. A. as for burial, only John's body, (the baptist), was buried, not his head? B. in the rsurrection God knows where every atom, every molecule, and every object is at. for we will be changed, as said engery is never destroyed but changed.

PICJAG.

Reactions: Helen

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree with that assessment. A. as for burial, only John's body, (the baptist), was buried, not his head? B. in the rsurrection God knows where every atom, every molecule, and every object is at. for we will be changed, as said engery is never destroyed but changed.

PICJAG.
The fact is, he was buried. It validates and does not disagree with my assessment.

Show me Jewish or Christian cremation in Scripture, and I will show you Nuns and Popes in there too!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact is, he was buried. It validates and does not disagree with my assessment.

Show me Jewish or Christian cremation in Scripture, and I will show you Nuns and Popes in there too!
well show us where it says one cannot be Cremated?

1 Corinthians 13:3 "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."

well it's one thing I have learned over the years, is the supermacy of Christ, all thing are under his feet and if I'm in him likewise all thing are under my feet, and legalism is no concern to me. and as for to do or not if it's not of faith it's a sin. Romans 14:23 "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

PICJAG.

Reactions: Helen and Mayflower
R

Rita

Answer: No, but it can be an issue of selfishness and not caring what God was consistent in telling us. Most that arrange for cremation do not concern themselves with what God would want. I believe that in death the better testimony is to show the hope of the resurrection from the grave. While Jesus wasn't planted underground in His burial, many others were in Scripture. Identifying with Christ is, in my mind, a better testimony.
Why are motives automatically evaluated as being selfish and uncaring - all of us have time to reflect and consider how we would prefer our bodies to be dealt with. It’s actually cheaper and less of a financial burden on others to be cremated. Each of us stand before God as individuals and the Lord knows the reasons for all the decision we make - this will equally be the case when dealing with death.
Personally I have no issue with whether I am buried or cremated. I trust that God is well able to raise everyone, which is what is clear in scripture. It doesn’t say ‘ I will raise everyone to stand before me, but it will only be those who chose burial ‘ - where would that place the thousands and thousands who were cremated in the concentration camps, or have been involved in airplane crashes, or bomb attacks.
In many cases it is the families that make decisions if and when death comes without any notice.
I mean the other issue is many have to have post mortems, so many of the organs are not even with a body that is buried. What about those who donate organs to give others help- part of them may be cremated, while other parts may be buried.
Rita

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I suppose we could also say that Christmas and Easter as well are not Christian practices. Which, if I were to make some time of it, I could most likely come up with many things in the modern Church that practice rituals and beliefs based on pagan practices instead of the Bible?

"Most that arrange for cremation do not concern themselves with what God would want."
I'm not at all sure why you would assume this?? I would say that "most" who do this are concerned about the finances, especially not wanting to saddle their families with such a huge bill! Not everyone is able to afford things, especially in this day and age. To me, if anything at all is not lined up with scripture, it does not pass the test. And, there is nothing teaching AGAINST cremation that I am aware of other than bible figures being buried or placed in a crypt.

So, what if a "Christian" does not have the ridiculous amount of money needed for a "traditional" funeral? (and not all Church's take up collections for this kind of thing, some yes maybe, not all though) At this point in life, financially speaking, they'd end up in some Potters Field :eek: Ha. I already have a headstone but no plot. I will be speaking to the pastor of the Churchyard cemetery where my mom, dad and one sister are buried. I won't allow my family members to scrape up money for my burial.
Oh yeah, and BTW- if Jesus were cremated and rose afterwards...I would say His resurrection would have been that much more convincing!
Thank you for the input!

Reactions: Helen and Rita

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a burial is not for the DEAD but for those living. the body is nothing. John 6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

PICJAG.

Reactions: Helen

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose we could also say that Christmas and Easter as well are not Christian practices. Which, if I were to make some time of it, I could most likely come up with many things in the modern Church that practice rituals and beliefs based on pagan practices instead of the Bible?

That is in my mind, a poor approach to the issue. Because there are failures and heathen traditions of the Church in history, is no excuse to dismiss that cremation is not Christian according to the Bible.

Self-determination is a very strong urge. Any appeals to Scripture does not matter when someone has made up their mind. Appeals to all Christian history has no meaning to a generation that thinks that they have nothing to learn from the saints of history past, where Christianity as whole has always opposed cremation. If we are aware of heathenism in the Church, we can choose to dismiss it. That is one approach. The other is to defy everything the Bible and Christian history says and to choose heathenism over what we do know. That is a choice too.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a burial is not for the DEAD but for those living. the body is nothing. John 6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

PICJAG.
All the more reason to bury people Biblically, not a testimony to heathen traditions!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Thank you and God Bless
nancy

A lot of us have culturally conditioned opinions on this subject, whether we realise it or not. My family have been cremated for several generations, so it didn't really occur to me to have my own body disposed of in any other way. Burial practices vary in different parts of the world, and have also changed over time.

In Jesus' day, a body would be 'buried' in a rock tomb and left there for one year to decay. Then the tomb would be opened and the bones collected up and put into an ossuary (a wood or stone box). So if you want to be buried in the 'Biblical' manner, that's what you should be doing!

Don't imagine that being buried settles the destiny of your body, though. John Wycliffe's body was dug up 40 years after his death, burned to ashes and thrown into the river Swift in Lutterworth!

My husband worked as a church verger for several years and was surprised to discover that a burial plot in a British churchyard is only "yours" for 100 years. After that, it's highly likely that your remains will be removed and placed elsewhere, and the grave given to someone else! This is because there is a critical shortage of burial space in the UK. Many cemeteries are full to bursting, and so burial plots have become very expensive.

All these factors lead me to believe that there is no reason to prefer burial over cremation (at least in the UK - it might be different in other parts of the world). I shall be cremated and my ashes will be "scattered" (not literally, but poured into a hole) in the local cemetery to await my resurrection. The place will be unmarked, but the cemetery keeps precise records of where each 'scattering' is performed. (So if my husband survives me, his ashes can be put in the same place).

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of us have culturally conditioned opinions on this subject, whether we realise it or not. My family have been cremated for several generations, so it didn't really occur to me to have my own body disposed of in any other way. Burial practices vary in different parts of the world, and have also changed over time.

In Jesus' day, a body would be 'buried' in a rock tomb and left there for one year to decay. Then the tomb would be opened and the bones collected up and put into an ossuary (a wood or stone box). So if you want to be buried in the 'Biblical' manner, that's what you should be doing!

Don't imagine that being buried settles the destiny of your body, though. John Wycliffe's body was dug up 40 years after his death, burned to ashes and thrown into the river Swift in Lutterworth!

My husband worked as a church verger for several years and was surprised to discover that a burial plot in a British churchyard is only "yours" for 100 years. After that, it's highly likely that your remains will be removed and placed elsewhere, and the grave given to someone else! This is because there is a critical shortage of burial space in the UK. Many cemeteries are full to bursting, and so burial plots have become very expensive.

All these factors lead me to believe that there is no reason to prefer burial over cremation (at least in the UK - it might be different in other parts of the world). I shall be cremated and my ashes will be "scattered" (not literally, but poured into a hole) in the local cemetery to await my resurrection. The place will be unmarked, but the cemetery keeps precise records of where each 'scattering' is performed. (So if my husband survives me, his ashes can be put in the same place).

Well, since there are no "rock tombs" except for mausoleums, and the cost of those are just as bad as a funeral service...unless God shows me differently, I too will be cremated. We don't stand on ceremony and tradition unless it is clearly going against God and his decrees.
I had no idea that burial space in the UK was so scarce! Yikes. I suppose they would have no choice but to un earth the remains and move or destroy them. Maybe it's time to start building cemeteries upwards, like parking garages :D
thanks for the reply, and the voice of reason :)

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bury people Biblically? and not a testimony to heathen traditions? your life that one lead, (WHILE LIVING), so be testimony enough.

PICJAG
So, you plan on having your burial be a defiance of what God said, as your last will and testimony. Sad.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you and God Bless
nancy
I am fine with cremation of my body.

Many saints of the past were "cremated" by evil folks and God can find them without problem.

Fact is, only the unsaved part of us(the flesh) is destroyed.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, since there are no "rock tombs" except for mausoleums, and the cost of those are just as bad as a funeral service...unless God shows me differently, I too will be cremated. We don't stand on ceremony and tradition unless it is clearly going against God and his decrees.
I had no idea that burial space in the UK was so scarce! Yikes. I suppose they would have no choice but to un earth the remains and move or destroy them. Maybe it's time to start building cemeteries upwards, like parking garages :D
thanks for the reply, and the voice of reason :)
Reason is better than the Word of God! That sums it up for me!