Cremation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My sister's ashes are in my garage! How do you like that?

Her remains were cremated per her wishes, to be buried in the family plot, which we're still waiting for to be able to do.

Good thing I didn't try storing her intact body in my garage!

Much love!
Understood!
When my mother died in 2006, my three brothers in California and Oregon had her cremated. Each of them took their one quarter portion of the ashes and offered to send a share to me in Oklahoma. I did not need her ashes for any purpose really and declined their offer. I remember her well and have lots of pictures as well to remind me...They each took an additional portion.

Reactions: marks

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, it's fun to argue about having fun while arguing, so, how dare you??
Gotta be light hearted too.

Maybe a little Hogan's Heroes or the 3 Stooges during argument breaks.

Reactions: Nancy

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understood!
When my mother died in 2006, my three brothers in California had her cremated. Each of them took their one quarter portion of the ashes and offered to send me my share in Oklahoma. I did not need her ashes for any purpose really. I remember her well and have lots of pictures as well to remind me...They each took an additional portion.
Interesting.

You know, in Rev 20, the sea gives up it's dead.

The question to anyone is, what is left of the folks' bodies that died at sea?

Is there more than ashes left?

Just something to think about....

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting.

If we had the Life that Jesus brought when natural death came to us then there was definitely something that would never die. I wouldn't worry too much about the ashes or dust in the ground or the sea. Is not our God able? Consider this:

"And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham." Matt 3:9

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I told my wife to dump me in the Delta...LOL
Long ago when we had our own home, my wife would speak of simply burying me in the back yard when the time came. Now we don't have our own back yard anymore and I would really be surprised if the landlord would allow her to bury me here.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understood!
When my mother died in 2006, my three brothers in California and Oregon had her cremated. Each of them took their one quarter portion of the ashes and offered to send a share to me in Oklahoma. I did not need her ashes for any purpose really and declined their offer. I remember her well and have lots of pictures as well to remind me...They each took an additional portion.
I guess some people have the ashes made into jewelry.

Memorial diamond - Wikipedia

3025492-inline-s-diamonds-05.jpg

Reactions: amadeus

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we had the Life that Jesus brought when natural death came to us then there was definitely something that would never die. I wouldn't worry too much about the ashes or dust in the ground or the sea. Is not our God able? Consider this:

"And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham." Matt 3:9
This is where I expect to be if I died today....

22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Reactions: amadeus and marks

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Long ago when we had our own home, my wife would speak of simply burying me in the back yard when the time came. Now we don't have our own back yard anymore and I would really be surprised if the landlord would allow her to bury me here.
Hey, don't tell anyone...my mother's ashes are 6' down in my sister's backyard.

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting.

or maybe the sea gives up its dead ...because the abundance of the sea shall be converted unto thee, the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee.

Isaiah 60:3-5 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising. [4] Lift up thine eyes round about, and see: all they gather themselves together, they come to thee: thy sons shall come from far, and thy daughters shall be nursed at thy side. [5] Then thou shalt see, and flow together, and thine heart shall fear, and be enlarged; because the abundance of the sea shall be converted unto thee, the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee. (Isaiah 42:6-7)

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or maybe the sea gives up its dead ...because the abundance of the sea shall be converted unto thee, the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee.

Isaiah 60:3-5 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising. [4] Lift up thine eyes round about, and see: all they gather themselves together, they come to thee: thy sons shall come from far, and thy daughters shall be nursed at thy side. [5] Then thou shalt see, and flow together, and thine heart shall fear, and be enlarged; because the abundance of the sea shall be converted unto thee, the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee. (Isaiah 42:6-7)
Oh no..a preterist?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what is a preterist? Nvm will google it as not to go off topic. Why else would the sea give up its dead?
Because the word of God in the book of Rev said it....

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since I see no direct instruction in The Word about cremation...why would a Christian think it is wrong? Look at all those who have died in fires (many Christians as well)...nothing to bury ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. So, if a Christian chooses for various reasons to be cremated rather than buried or placed into a crypt does that suddenly void out their salvation? Flesh and blood will not inherit the Kingdom, but our glorified NEW bodies will, I don't think God needs our rotted corpse to give us new bodies.

"But someone may ask, ‘How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come"?

If we sow, we don't plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else...So it's supposed to be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Corinthians 15:35, 37, 42-44

Our bodies will slowly decay and the Resurrection bodies are NOT what we were buried in anyhow. So, since I do plan on cremation, I'd love to hear other's take on this subject.
Thank you and God Bless
nancy

Me too Nancy.
I think these days it seems to be more about $$ Why pay thousands for a full funeral that you wont even be at! :D
Cremation is far cheaper ...

Resurrection really has nothing much to do with the state of the old flesh and bone! My old dad used to say..put me in a garbage bag and bury me out in the garden...now we are nearly their ourselves...I can see the wisdom in that thinking.

I actually thought a person 'had to' legally have a hearse to transport the remains...but a friend of our took a large hatchback to the hospital to take the remains to the coroner ...it seemed a bit strange , but perfectly legal. The Funeral Homes see us coming , and there they are raking in the $$$ on the backs of sad people.

We've been hoodwinked.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose we could also say that Christmas and Easter as well are not Christian practices. Which, if I were to make some time of it, I could most likely come up with many things in the modern Church that practice rituals and beliefs based on pagan practices instead of the Bible?

"Most that arrange for cremation do not concern themselves with what God would want."
I'm not at all sure why you would assume this?? I would say that "most" who do this are concerned about the finances, especially not wanting to saddle their families with such a huge bill! Not everyone is able to afford things, especially in this day and age. To me, if anything at all is not lined up with scripture, it does not pass the test. And, there is nothing teaching AGAINST cremation that I am aware of other than bible figures being buried or placed in a crypt.

So, what if a "Christian" does not have the ridiculous amount of money needed for a "traditional" funeral? (and not all Church's take up collections for this kind of thing, some yes maybe, not all though) At this point in life, financially speaking, they'd end up in some Potters Field :eek: Ha. I already have a headstone but no plot. I will be speaking to the pastor of the Churchyard cemetery where my mom, dad and one sister are buried. I won't allow my family members to scrape up money for my burial.
Oh yeah, and BTW- if Jesus were cremated and rose afterwards...I would say His resurrection would have been that much more convincing!
Thank you for the input!
Actually, whereas some of the customs surrounding Christmas and Easter are not 100% Christian in origin - the holidays themselves ARE.

For example - contrary to popular ignorant belief - Christmas was NOT modeled after Sol Invictus or Winter Solstice. that is a myth that has been perpetuated by those less-than-informed of history.

Cremation does have pagan roots. As @Candidus mentioned - ALL examples of Christian and Jewish death in Scripture involve burial.
The only exception I can think of is Saul and his sons.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me too Nancy.
I think these days it seems to be more about $$ Why pay thousands for a full funeral that you wont even be at! :D
Cremation is far cheaper ...

Resurrection really has nothing much to do with the state of the old flesh and bone! My old dad used to say..put me in a garbage bag and bury me out in the garden...now we are nearly their ourselves...I can see the wisdom in that thinking.

I actually thought a person 'had to' legally have a hearse to transport the remains...but a friend of our took a large hatchback to the hospital to take the remains to the coroner ...it seemed a bit strange , but perfectly legal. The Funeral Homes see us coming , and there they are raking in the $$$ on the backs of sad people.

We've been hoodwinked.

"Why pay thousands for a full funeral that you wont even be at! :D"
Hahaha Helen, no funeral lunch??!! :O
Money is right, it's what this world's all about anymore. And, they don't care who they step on to get their greedy hands on it!

Your dad had the right idea, lol.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Aren't both possible? Or more likely probable?
we do not yet know what we will become
no one has ever gone up to heaven
there is only One Immortal
beware the thief in the night
you and your sons will be here with me
Apollos waters
I came that you might have life, more abundantly

so tbh i have no idea, the spirit goes back to Yah, Who gave it right?
so that could moot all the others maybe?
or what one ends up identifying with more, maybe they get stuck with? lol

but i would sure lose this idea of your soul going to heaven after you have died, i tell ya what

anyone telling you they are looking forward to being with Jesus someday is by default admitting they
arent with Jesus right now, arent they?

if it is only for this life that we etcetc might easily be meaning
"your sacrifices will make others lives better, after you are gone" or something too, right?
so i mean i dont know ok, but pick a v and examine it without the personal preference, and see

probable? then where is the
"I came that you might have death, more abundantly too?"