Cremation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since I see no direct instruction in The Word about cremation...why would a Christian think it is wrong? Look at all those who have died in fires (many Christians as well)...nothing to bury ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. So, if a Christian chooses for various reasons to be cremated rather than buried or placed into a crypt does that suddenly void out their salvation? Flesh and blood will not inherit the Kingdom, but our glorified NEW bodies will, I don't think God needs our rotted corpse to give us new bodies.

"But someone may ask, ‘How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come"?

If we sow, we don't plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else...So it's supposed to be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Corinthians 15:35, 37, 42-44

Our bodies will slowly decay and the Resurrection bodies are NOT what we were buried in anyhow. So, since I do plan on cremation, I'd love to hear other's take on this subject.
Thank you and God Bless
nancy
The Cardboard Box

Put me in a cardboard box
dress me up with hat and socks
keep the flames brightly stoked
sing a song and tell a joke

Let it all to ashes burn
and the hope of others yearn
can you hear it drawing near
as the call falls on the ear

Awake, awake my faithful Son
your crown my friend, well done, well done
those ashes now arrayed in light
a body given shinning bright

No need now for that cardboard box
and probably not the hat and socks
forever are the ashes gone
and will you join me in the song?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Cardboard Box

Put me in a cardboard box
dress me up with hat and socks
keep the flames brightly stoked
sing a song and tell a joke

Let it all to ashes burn
and the hope of others yearn
can you hear it drawing near
as the call falls on the ear

Awake, awake my faithful Son
your crown my friend, well done, well done
those ashes now arrayed in light
a body given shinning bright

No need now for that cardboard box
and probably not the hat and socks
forever are the ashes gone
and will you join me in the song?

Joining. We now have 2 part harmony :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I stated to someone else, almost anyone can afford a small life insurance policy to cover last expenses (at the very least). And insurance has been around for ages. The cash is paid upon the presentation of a death certificate. If the average funeral costs around $9,000 and someone has a policy for $20,000, there is no issue.

Not so easy to get if you have a diagnosis of depression or anxiety...they turn them all down so if someone is not bringing in much money but is still working, I think it is such a shame they have no choice. And, not everyone is blessed with a good paying job, especially these days. I know some people who put away hundreds of dollars in their savings each month...but I know more people who are only able to put 20 to 30 bucks away monthly. And to these folk, that $9,000 might as well be a million cause they couldn't touch it. So yes, there are many ISSUES, it's not as clean cut as you say for everyone, not by a long shot.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As to one posters thought that 20 or 30 dollars a month is something anyone can afford, not me. I have exactly zero savings and zero retirement and some months, 20 or 30 dollars is the difference between eating or not eating. That’s just a fact for me. It wasn’t always but now it is. (No, I don’t need help so please don’t worry about me! :) )
We have members here who can’t even afford heating oil for the winter and are coming up with creative ways to keep part of their home only warm enough to prevent freezing of pipes and blocking off only a room for staying warm in. I have spoken with them so I know they exist. They cannot pay a monthly fee for burial costs. Just sayin.’

The thing I’ve seen go on in this thread could be likened to making it impossible for temporally poor folk to meet the requirements. It’s laying a burden on them they cannot withstand, just as the Pharisees used to do, laying heavy burdens on the poor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite and Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a registered organ donor. If any of my parts are still working when I'm done with them, give 'em to someone who can use them.

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i did that for years myself; problem being they dont “give” anything
How so?
Heart transplants have helped some live many years longer. Kidney transplants have helped some not have to do dialysis many times a week and no longer be in pain. Surely helping someone out of pain is to have given them something. Or to help them no longer tire and gasp for breath from one small flight of stairs is to have given them something.

I personally would not have a transplant. I would look at it as God preparing me to leave my temporal life if my heart or kidneys were giving out. But it would be hideously wrong of me to insist everyone should view this the same way as me.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
How so?
Heart transplants have helped some live many years longer. Kidney transplants have helped some not have to do dialysis many times a week and no longer be in pain. Surely helping someone out of pain is to have given them something. Or to help them no longer tire and gasp for breath from one small flight of stairs is to have given them something.

I personally would not have a transplant. I would look at it as God preparing me to leave my temporal life if my heart or kidneys were giving out. But it would be hideously wrong of me to insist everyone should view this the same way as me.
my point was that the organs are never given, but sold, for like five figures
same with blood—you donate it, and they sell it for exorbitant amounts of money to ppl in dire need

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
my point was that the organs are never given, but sold, for like five figures
same with blood—you donate it, and they sell it for exorbitant amounts of money to ppl in dire need
Oh, I see. Yes, medical costs are out of control. Any time middlemen step in the way and insist everything must go through them, it all goes downhill, whether in a medical setting, a government setting or a church gathering.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think it matters at all. All matter just changed form. Back to dust.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i did that for years myself; problem being they dont “give” anything
Here in Buffalo, we have The University of Buffalo where we have a huge medical department. Anyone can donate their body to be used in teaching. Once done chopping you up, they pay for the cremation and send the ashes to your family. The only thing is that it could take a couple months to get the ashes...not a thing! I just might do that, they'll have a ball of confusion trying to unravel my brain!

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In response to the original post about resurrected bodies and with what kind of body etc. I think the only real tangible evidence we have to go on is the resurrected body of our Messiah Yeshua. Although He did not see decay, He was still recognizable to His followers after His resurrection although He did seem to be able to transport around in a way we would call supernatural, He didn't seem to be constrained in the way we are in our bodies today, it seemed He could go through walls etc. I think this is the only real evidence we have in what we may be like in our resurrected bodies. Regardless we will be with Him in eternity living in a renewed world in the new Jerusalem in an environment that are human minds just simply cannot comprehend.
May His ruach kadesh (Holy Spirit) move in these last days and gather His harvest in quickly. The Spirit and the Bride say come.

Bo Yeshua Bo (Come Yeshua Come).

Shalom