Cults

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God Syndrome:

If your spiritual leader has the “God Syndrome” or acts as if they are godlike. For example, the leader may say that he or she speaks for God, that God works exclusively through his or her ministry.

Prophets of old often warned the religious leaders of Israel of their pending destruction if they didn't change their ways. And they do speak for God. But as far God Syndrome, I think a lot of churches claim what you are describing, and perhaps they all do. With or without a self proclaimed prophet.

Reactions: The Learner

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread has gone way off the line. From the perspective of a Christian, in a Christian forum, the word "cult" is very specific. It is referring to groups who place a man or an entity such as satan/lucifer as their "god." Jesus clearly is not a cult leader. Can we get back to the OP, please? This is ridiculous.

@Nancy @lforrest @Angelina @Rita @rockytopva

Reactions: Illuminator

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread has gone way off the line. From the perspective of a Christian, in a Christian forum, the word "cult" is very specific. It is referring to groups who place a man or an entity such as satan/lucifer as their "god." Jesus clearly is not a cult leader. Can we get back to the OP, please? This is ridiculous.
The issue is the word "cult" itself has some many definitions as to render it useless.

- From a sociological standpoint, a "cult" is simply a body of believers. Neither good or bad, or anything else. Under this definition, Jesus was 100% a cult leader.
- From a pop-culture standpoint, a "cult" is something like Heaven's Gate. A group of fanatical believers that isolate themselves blindly following their leader.
- Walter Martin sired the "anti-cult" movement following his own personal definition of "cult" which equated to any religious group he disliked without internal logic/consistency. Martin himself could be viewed as a cult leader under the second definition here.

There's also the matter than some individuals just have a I'm-going-to-follow-and-not-think mindset. As this mindset is just a human thing, these blindly-following-cultist style folks can be found in literally any group, regardless of the group's tenants.

Reactions: amadeus

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except for claiming to be the Son of God. He definitely puts fear in the hearts of those in current authority. Of course, these authoritarians have a problem that there are more than a handful of us.
Of course, Jesus is God. But that isn't what this thread is about. There are several other threads discussing the divinity of Jesus.

• Love

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue is the word "cult" itself has some many definitions as to render it useless.

- From a sociological standpoint, a "cult" is simply a body of believers. Neither good or bad, or anything else. Under this definition, Jesus was 100% a cult leader.
- From a pop-culture standpoint, a "cult" is something like Heaven's Gate. A group of fanatical believers that isolate themselves blindly following their leader.
- Walter Martin sired the "anti-cult" movement following his own personal definition of "cult" which equated to any religious group he disliked without internal logic/consistency. Martin himself could be viewed as a cult leader under the second definition here.

There's also the matter than some individuals just have a I'm-going-to-follow-and-not-think mindset. As this mindset is just a human thing, these blindly-following-cultist style folks can be found in literally any group, regardless of the group's tenants.
I would tend to agree. Let's look at the definition of cult:

Cult: a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister

But I didn't see @Wayne222 telling anyone which organizations they are referring to.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I find responses like this frequently. They comes from those who have put more faith in man's interpretations instead of prayerfully searching scriptures

That actually came from scripture... SDAs pick and choose which scriptures they believe based on their preconceived ideas about only going to church on Saturday is accepted by the Lord and those that attend on Sunday will go to hell.

They claim nobody gets tortured in hell for eternity except for those that go to church on Sunday

Isn't it sad that, while we claim that we have a dependence of the spirit of God to teach us, we lean heavily on the "commentaries" and Sunday School booklets to give us truth?

I found out from God's written Word that the requirement to go to church on Saturday is not actually a requirement under the New Covenant. I never studied any commentaries about it at all.

In fact, I learned years ago to not read commentaries as this is being indoctrinated by the author which is how the SDA peoples got deceived on their false doctrines by following the writings of Ellen G White rather than accepting the whole counsel of God

Unless we diligently seek the truth of God, we will be deceived.

Those that have twisted scripture to claim one can only be saved if they go to church in Saturday... are the ones that have been deceived. It's really sad, but it is what it is. Too bad for the Saturday only peoples.

I had hoped that you, my brother, would not be one to imply that I have never studied scripture.

Of course you studied the scriptures... from the preconceived view point of the Saturday people that caused you to agree with their rejection of the New Covenant and their being in favor of following the Law of Moses.... rejecting the High Priestly Ministry of Jesus Christ. clueless-doh.gif

May God prompt you to examine your beliefs based on Him instead of majority opinion.

He has, and has proven to me from His Word that the doctrines of the Saturday peoples are willingly in error as they have placed the teachings of their religious organization before God's Word. Sad but true.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That actually came from scripture... SDAs pick and choose which scriptures they believe based on their preconceived ideas about only going to church on Saturday is accepted by the Lord and those that attend on Sunday will go to hell.

They claim nobody gets tortured in hell for eternity except for those that go to church on Sunday

I found out from God's written Word that the requirement to go to church on Saturday is not actually a requirement under the New Covenant. I never studied any commentaries about it at all.

In fact, I learned years ago to not read commentaries as this is being indoctrinated by the author which is how the SDA peoples got deceived on their false doctrines by following the writings of Ellen G White rather than accepting the whole counsel of God

Those that have twisted scripture to claim one can only be saved if they go to church in Saturday... are the ones that have been deceived. It's really sad, but it is what it is. Too bad for the Saturday only peoples.

Of course you studied the scriptures... from the preconceived view point of the Saturday people that caused you to agree with their rejection of the New Covenant and their being in favor of following the Law of Moses.... rejecting the High Priestly Ministry of Jesus Christ. View attachment 41614

He has, and has proven to me from His Word that the doctrines of the Saturday peoples are willingly in error as they have placed the teachings of their religious organization before God's Word. Sad but true.
Note: I’m not an SDA.

Do you believe that a person’s salvation is dependent on which day they have church? If not, then there’s no rational reason to be upset with SDA worshipping on Saturday.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that a person’s salvation is dependent on which day they have church? If not, then there’s no rational reason to be upset with SDA worshipping on Saturday.

Their position is that they are required to have church in Saturday and if they do not then they cannot be saved.

For them it's about earning salvation by doing this one good work... and they think Jesus and His Apostles meant to teach this in the New Covenant but it somehow slipped their mind so the SDA's have been tasked with taking the Saturday "gospel" to the world to warn others they will be lost if they don't have church on Saturday only.

They claim if one has church on any other day of the week other than Saturday, they are not saved and are servants of satan.

This is their religion in a nutshell, along with the false doctrine of annihilationism

• Love

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Their position is that they are required to have church in Saturday and if they do not then they cannot be saved.

For them it's about earning salvation by doing this one good work...

They claim if one has church on any other day of the week other than Saturday, they are not saved and are servants of satan.
And do YOU think they are damned or “cultist” for this beliefs?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And do YOU think they are damned or “cultist” for this beliefs?

If they really believe their salvation is dependent upon them going to church on Saturday then they would be trying to earn salvation by good works... those doing this would be lost whether it's the Saturday thing or some other good work one believes earns their salvation.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they really believe their salvation is dependent upon them going to church on Saturday then they would be trying to earn salvation by good works... those doing this would be lost whether it's the Saturday thing or some other good work one believes earns their salvation.
I'm asking you about YOUR beliefs.

Do YOU believe that in order to be saved, a person can't believe "it's only meaningful to worship on Sunday"? Do YOU believe that a person holding such tenet revokes their relationship with deity and renders them damned?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm asking you about YOUR beliefs.

Do YOU believe that in order to be saved, a person can't believe "it's only meaningful to worship on Sunday"? Do YOU believe that a person holding such tenet revokes their relationship with deity and renders them damned?

I already answered your question... and it's the same if someone believes they must have church on Sunday as being a requirement to be saved.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Note: Latter-day Saints ("Mormons") believe that Jesus Christ is the divine Son of God and happily associate with other Christian groups. Example: I last visited a Methodist church on Saturday, donating some clothes to help support their ministry to the needy. There is much good in other faiths, especially other Christian ones and I celebrate that fact.
Correction Mormons believe that Jesus is a god, the brother of Satan.

• Love

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is much more comfortable for many to accept the majority norms. That way, we are never singled out as being deceivers. We should be grateful the the disciples of Jesus were willing to be singled out. And they never believed in the deity of Jesus, had no scriptures other than the Tanach, were exclusive but seeking brothers and sisters to come to Christ Jesus, and the "authorities," i.e. the Sanhedrin were rejecting Jesus. The did not accept "the authorities" but submitted to Jesus who told them God's truth.
So why did they say," We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.” John 6.

Reactions: Nancy

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already answered your question... and it's the same if someone believes they must have church on Sunday as being a requirement to be saved.
I must have missed your answer. Again, I'm not an SDA and I have a lot of disagreements with that theology.

Logically, if you condemn them for believing in Saturday only worship, then that means you believe that a person's salvation is dependent their belief on the day they worship.

Reactions: Spyder

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
their salvation is dependent upon
The emptiest words ever uttered about Christianity

The life, death, resurrection, and intercession of Christ are all that could afford salvation for mankind. All of this "dependent upon" dung is just echoes of the fatal parlay discussion at the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

'
'

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correction Mormons believe that Jesus is a god, the brother of Satan.
As do all Christians whom believe that the Father is the Father of all and read John 20:17. Just nobody goes about thinking / phrasing things that, including LDS Christians. This obsession is only found in "anti-cultists".

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

@Nancy @lforrest @Angelina @Rita @rockytopva
The problem is that most folks believe anyone who doesn't believe as they believe are cultists.

Anyone can point to any kind of leadership in a denomination or even a congregation and holler "CULT!"

Which, unfortunately, makes a thread like this a virtual sandbox.

'
google-smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes-960d-mysmiley-net.png

'

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Logically, if you condemn them for believing in Saturday only worship, then that means you believe that a person's salvation is dependent their belief on the day they worship.

You'll have to talk to the SDA peoples about that...

I'm not the one claiming one is required by the Lord to worship on Saturday and if they don't they are breaking God's commands which they claim is living in sin meaning those not observing Saturday sabbath cannot be right with God.

The SDA peoples like to engage in double speak... on one hand they'll claim going to church on Saturday is not required for salvation and then on the other hand they'll claim not observing Saturday sabbath is breaking God's commands (which they say is living in sin) and then they claim those that attend church on Sunday have taken the mark of the beast and are servants of satan